Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Russiarules1
Location: By Strawberry Fields, on a flying Yellow Submarine, eating muffins.

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Russiarules1 »

Doing dumb things is what makes us normal humans.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

Today's World Domination Is Provided By: Ponies
OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Love GameFly so much.

Got Kingdoms of Amalur coming. Should have it tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. We'll see if it keeps me busy till Mass Effect 3 hits.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Speaking of Mass Effect 3, anyone seen that bogus "teaser" they gave about the Kinect functionality in the game?
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I've decided to make an effort to make some progress on assassins Creed Brotherhood. I've barely touched it since Halloween, don't know why, it's a great game.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Zen, beat Half Life, than the packs Blue Shift and I believe, Opposing Force is the other one, than go through Half Life 2, Ep1, and Ep2. I love those games, I think they are should be on most people's lists of 100 games you MUST play.
Construction Boots wrote:So I'm taking a break from Assassin's creed and playing Alice return to Maddness. So it's not that bad a game it's very dark.
I remember a friend of mine got that game through Gamefly, he ended up getting it three times after sending in the first copy. I think he got like credit or something as compensation.

And Seth, go through Brotherhood, its a good game but the ending is sooooooooooo cliche.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

One game that I have been looking for is Crash of the Titans. It's a great Crash Bandicoot game, and I've played it through once, but I sold it a long time back, and now I can't find it again. I may look on ebay for it sometime.
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Inali wrote:One game that I have been looking for is Crash of the Titans. It's a great Crash Bandicoot game, and I've played it through once, but I sold it a long time back, and now I can't find it again. I may look on ebay for it sometime.
This is why you never sell old games. :3

It's always difficult trying to find copies of older games like that. And when you do manage to find a copy, the person selling it always tries to auction them off for absolutely obscene amounts of money.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Anyone here interested in TERA?
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Tiggy wrote:Anyone here interested in TERA?
From the character selection screen, it looks like Rumble Roses in MMO form. Lol.

The gameplay looks pretty solid though. I have no idea if I'll get into it (depends on the price, and what else I'm looking at when it comes out), but it's possible.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

TERA looks pretty good. If it doesn't cost a lot to play, I may have a looksy at it.

Also, I finally got my hands on Skyward Sword...from first looks, I wasn't too fond. My first impression "...Epona? Epona, where are you?" Yeah, nothing wrong with losing Epona as an adult Link game, but still it was a little bit of a shock. The stamina system was both a "Wow" and a "what" thing for me. Swimming was pretty cool in Twilight Princess...but now I die if I swim on the surface for too long? Get in shape Link, I can swim so much longer then you now. Anyway, stamina and sprinting would be good to have, but it get's annoying when they remove elements that were pretty cool in prior games. Other then that, flying wasn't too easy but I assume you can get used to it. The most fun thing so far? Making Link look like an idiot as he uses the sword. Oh wait, another massive thing that annoys me as a regular 'Western' gamer...Zelda's anime-ish antics. I had the same issues with Spirit Tracks, the fact Zelda was such an annoying anime girl. Twilight Princess Zelda was amazing, she was dark and mysterious and a good character. She's deserving of the triforce of Wisdom, as she was in Ocarina of Time. This Zelda isn't deserving of the Triforce of Wisdom...quite the opposite really.

Anyway, I could make this rant for ever. Long story short, I know you're a Japanese company Nintendo, but please make Princess Zelda less of an Anime character...oh, and please stop making the game more annoying then fun at times. Challenge? Go ahead. In face, please make it more challenging. Tediously picking up light balls over and over? Please don't...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I thought those light ball things were really intense. In a good way. The anime-ish style wasn't the best, but I still thought the game was gorgeous enough that I could overlook that. The flying wasn't the best, but it wasn't bad, and I liked the stamina gauge. It sure beats rolling/sidestepping/whatever constantly.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

ok, I must admit, they improved the light ball thing a lot from Twilight Princess. It was made a lot less dull from the whole "just collect, then turn back to human". That being said, I've not seen a lot of the game yet. I'm getting my knowledge of te ligh ball thing from a friend, and seeing him play it for less then a minute.

Anime style... I'm sure after the opening it'd get less 'in-your-face'. It didn't in Spirit Tracks, sadly, but that's because Zelda wouldn't leave me alone (please, PLEASE, just get kidnapped if you're gonna be like that). But yeah, stamina for sprinting was cool. Stamina for everything else isn't...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I might be wrong, but can't you swim on the surface indefinitely? I don't remember that ever being an issue. So if swimming did take stamina, clearly it mattered so little someone could beat the game and most of the sidequests and never even notice.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

44R0NM10 wrote:TERA looks pretty good. If it doesn't cost a lot to play, I may have a looksy at it.

Its just

Amaaaaazing at the moment, even if there isn't ALL that much to play since this weekend has been a sneak peek preview of the game, probably just the company stress-testing it.

I don't know but I heard some people talking in the LFG channel in the game that the game was going F2P in june, but I kind of doubt that.
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

how much does it cost and/or how much do you think it'll cost Tobee? I've been meaning to get into a cheap MMO recently...
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Official website says you can preorder it for 50 bucks, and they've got a couple special deals to get extra in-game items and stuff for 60 and 80 bucks, respectively. All of them include a month of play time, but after the first month you'll have to pay an extra fee like most other big MMOs. The actual amount you'll have to pay monthly hasn't been decided yet, though.

Edit: The 80 dollar special pack includes physical items as well; a map of the world, soundtrack, and stuff like that.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

what I did was to buy the preorder mini for the beta/sneak peeks etc, just to see how good it is. (€5)

But as KjOo said, the full game will cost €50+-. (Unless the rumors were true and they might go f2p, but doubt.)

I also think there'll be an open beta sometime soon, maybe?
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

I've been wanting to get Bastion lately. Looks like a pretty cool game... Too bad I don't have Xbox Live... I AM going to get it soon, though.
------------------

Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

I can't wait for the new Tales games! <3
First off is the 3DS port of Tales of the Abyss, then the PS3 Tales of Graces f, then Tales of Xillia (PS3 also). Also, last I read, they ARE porting the Japanese version of Vesperia to the PS3 in the States. It's gonna be awesome~

...Now if only they'd localize Tales of Vesperia: First Strike so I could watch it. >:I And while I'm dreaming, a 3DS port of the Japanese PS2 version of Tales of Symphonia would be perfect!~
Randomextra

Post by Randomextra »

What are the tales games you speak of? They sound like fun.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Tales of Vesperia gameplay. (edit: light language warning in this one. I think.)
Tales wiki
Abyss website

Put simply, Tales is a series of Japanese RPG games where the point is to fight monsters and solve plots, similar to Final Fantasy. I've had the opportunity to play Symphonia, Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, Abyss, Vesperia, and Phantasia. I wouldn't trade that for anything. XD

Plus, the music is great. Examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDyAeMAn ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODTwDtsE ... re=related (makes me think of the arctic, really).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7d4dvaP5wo (one of the more popular Vesperia songs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpt9oO7rX-M

And before anyone asks, no, I don't make money from this. I just really love the series. <3
Randomextra

Post by Randomextra »

Nice sound track, good gameplay, im gonna look out for that one. Thanks.(good thing they are porting it to ps3)
The Grey Wolverine

Inali wrote:I've been wanting to get Bastion lately. Looks like a pretty cool game... Too bad I don't have Xbox Live... I AM going to get it soon, though.
Trust me, you will enjoy it.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I would totally give away my PS3 username if it wasn't for the fact that I don't have many multiplayer games and that I'm terribly secretive.

Seriously you guys play Poland with me :(
Randomextra

Post by Randomextra »

Wanderer wrote:I would totally give away my PS3 username if it wasn't for the fact that I don't have many multiplayer games and that I'm terribly secretive.

Seriously you guys play Poland with me :(
Same here wanderer. I dont use computer (not yet) so sorry
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Hmm? Are you sending this on your phone or something?
Randomextra

Post by Randomextra »

Yup, its super phone.

To stay on video game topic, got deadspace 2 a while back really enjoyed it even though its a little bit to gory for some
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Manhunt 2. Its a good game that I want to play but so far I can only watch videos of it. Maybe they'll release it online someday.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Hey, Housefox. Look up "Tales of Destiny" then.

You'll love it :)
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

I just might. Dunno when I'll be able to play it though... x3
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:
Inali wrote:I've been wanting to get Bastion lately. Looks like a pretty cool game... Too bad I don't have Xbox Live... I AM going to get it soon, though.
Trust me, you will enjoy it.
Cool. How much is it on Xbox LIVE marketplace?
------------------

The Grey Wolverine

Like, 1200 max, pretty sure its less though. I say get the trial first, see if you like the control, and decide for yourself, I have yet to meet the man who doesn't like Bastion.

Unrelated note, how would you guys feel about me doing full game reviews? I've been thinking of it for a while, and I have a couple ideas lined up, I'll keep them clean though, I don't want to seem like an AVGN or Angry Joe copy.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I feel like there are already an abundance of game reviewers out there, but if you want to do it then who's stopping you.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

As long as you actually plan to put effort into your videos, I think you should go for it. :]

The only reason I say this is because I'm assuming that you want this to be a project for entertainment or informative purposes. And if that's the case, then there is a LOT of work that goes into making good, high quality content. A RL friend of mine actually just recently got into doing gaming commentary on Youtube too, but he doesn't seem to fully understand how much work needs to go into his videos if he wants any chance of being viewed as more than just "one of those guys who make Let's Plays". He's been going at it for about a month now, but he still seems to be under the assumption that he can just play games, record it, toss it on Youtube, and become a big hit (much to my chagrin, as he wants my honest opinion on all of his work [which I give him], but he doesn't really apply it at all). And that just doesn't work.

So, yeah. Don't be like him, and you'll be leaps and bounds ahead of half of the gaming community on Youtube. Also, just out of curiosity, did you have a particular site you were looking to get started on? Youtube, Veoh, etc.?
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:Unrelated note, how would you guys feel about me doing full game reviews? I've been thinking of it for a while, and I have a couple ideas lined up, I'll keep them clean though, I don't want to seem like an AVGN or Angry Joe copy.
It depends on what games it is you will be reviewing. Things like bang-bang games I likely will not end up watching, but if you plan to play an adventurous or classical game, I might. :3 Walk Through videos tend to be fun, as long as the one who reviews it has a happy and entertaining attitude.
The Grey Wolverine

I have a few ideas for videos, Killing Floor, the early Fallout games, and the Crysis series. My biggest problem is with recording software, I have some for the PC games, but nothing for console games, so for the moment, I think I'll do reviews of the early Fallouts and Killing Floor, than maybe LPs of Fallout, F2, and FT:BOS, I could get a good amount of content out of those three games to sort of find a base for future videos, see where I'm good, and where I'm flawed. I can do an in depth review of the Crysis games though, mostly why the second one is bad compared to the fist one, so I thunk that will be a starting point for console games, than on to the rest of the Fallout series, skipping the bad Brotherhood of Steel.
Randomextra

Post by Randomextra »

I used to play killing floor. Was really fun till computer broke. Good times. Good luck if you decide to do commentary.
The Grey Wolverine

I got a few people to play with, so it should be good.
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

I'm sorry, but I will probably not be watching in case you do YouTube videos. Just games that do not set right with me. Good luck on finding a method of recording, maybe you can ask other YouTube people for advice on how they do it.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

for console games, I suggest A dazzle capture card. It's fairly cheap, I'm sure you could find the standard version for a fairly cheap price. I own the standard version, and find it works decently on the wii, though there's noticeably less quality on the xbox (I do not own a PS3 to test that quality there). For that, I'd suggest spending an extra $15 for the platinum capture card. I have not tried it, though I've seen videos filmed with it and find it a lot better.

For me, I got the entire set-up for £25 (which is just under $40) though I was hunting for the best prices for awhile. There's plenty of videos online that'll help you understand what you need and how to set it up, or you could ask me.