Arc #32: The Dog Days of Summer

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
IceKitsune

Re: Arc #32: The Dog Days of Summer

Post by IceKitsune »

The Game wrote:what i don't get is how King is his avatar if they're still two separate ...uh...beings.

and sasha is the 9 tails in disguise
The only thing I can think is that they play the Avatars differently The Dragon creates one to be (a.k.a Tarot) and Pete plays his by indirect manipulation.
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

Of the existing characters, Kitsune is almost certainly Daisy; he (or she) expresses the same amusement that Pete does upon learning that Dragon is in love with Peanut, which suggests that it wouldn't sink to that same level. This knocks out almost everyone in the main cast, because they're all in a relationship of one kind or another, except for Fox (who is considerably less enigmatic than the other characters are; Tarot is a psychic and King wasssss onccccce a maaaaaaan, while Fox is just one of the guys). This explains her reaction to King's drunken flirting (or to anything, really), and would fit the mindset of a GM, who would probably prefer a hands-off approach to things.
ImageImage
ImageImage
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sinder wrote:Of the existing characters, Kitsune is almost certainly Daisy; he (or she) expresses the same amusement that Pete does upon learning that Dragon is in love with Peanut, which suggests that it wouldn't sink to that same level. This knocks out almost everyone in the main cast, because they're all in a relationship of one kind or another, except for Fox (who is considerably less enigmatic than the other characters are; Tarot is a psychic and King wasssss onccccce a maaaaaaan, while Fox is just one of the guys). This explains her reaction to King's drunken flirting (or to anything, really), and would fit the mindset of a GM, who would probably prefer a hands-off approach to things.
Either the Kitsune is Daisy or he/she is nobody that still however doesn't explain why Sasha is protected and by who (I'm going back to it being Pete or Tarot that is doing it at this point)
Two_Twig

Post by Two_Twig »

Sinder wrote: King wasssss onccccce a maaaaaaan
Teehee
Hold still ~I'M PAINTING THE WORLD
----
My Devious account...
SIP. When is the next update coming? When you least expect it
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

I'ts Spo
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Uhhhhh.... what happens if one of them ragequits after the ruling? :?

Also, I added more stuff to my last post to explain myself a bit better.
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

Two_Twig wrote:
Sinder wrote: King wasssss onccccce a maaaaaaan
Teehee
And noooooooow King's a doooooooog. Be happy.
I ship Grape&Peanut and support King&Bailey
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

Two_Twig wrote:Teehee
lolz
ImageImage
ImageImage
Liam

Post by Liam »

The Game wrote:what i don't get is how King is his avatar if they're still two separate ...uh...beings.
Dragon's allowed to "fuse" with her avatar while Pete lost that right in a previous move?
IceKitsune wrote:
Liam wrote:Drat, Kyūbi no Yōko is free. Naruto lost! D:
Please tell me that People on this forum know that Kitsunes are a big part of Japanese myths and were not made up for Anime I mean after reading the comment thread I get the feeling there are a lot of people who think this. (not specifically you Liam just a lot of other people seem to think this)
Don't worry, it was intended as a joke, anyway.

I'm aware they're from Okami. :3
rickgriffin wrote:If anyone assumes that ANYTHING mythological was made up for any anime, that's just sad
Are you saying that Griffins don't come from the series final of Anime Bosom IX "Getaranger vs. Lord Apokryphon"?
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Ratros

Post by Ratros »

Sinder wrote:Of the existing characters, Kitsune is almost certainly Daisy; he (or she) expresses the same amusement that Pete does upon learning that Dragon is in love with Peanut, which suggests that it wouldn't sink to that same level. This knocks out almost everyone in the main cast, because they're all in a relationship of one kind or another, except for Fox (who is considerably less enigmatic than the other characters are; Tarot is a psychic and King wasssss onccccce a maaaaaaan, while Fox is just one of the guys). This explains her reaction to King's drunken flirting (or to anything, really), and would fit the mindset of a GM, who would probably prefer a hands-off approach to things.
Wow....that makes so much sense....but would you call it flirting when she first met Fido? I guess the reason Rick didn't give it a beard could be because it was a girl...and a kitsune...and he didn't wanna....but beards are awesome...
And then God saw the havoc that humanity had wrought upon the earth, and he said unto them 'muffins and cookies kids, get off my lawn'
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

I like the idea of it being a girl kitsune.

It's The Great Kitsune, Rick Griffin!

*lol peanuts reference*
Ratros

Post by Ratros »

Sinder wrote:
Two_Twig wrote:Teehee
lolz
My childhood! I love you both!

Unrelated but should be brought up:
Anybody else kinda wondering what the conditions for winning are? Is Pete's avatar supposed to bring about equality or did the animals just make that up? What's Tarot's task? Are they the same and the two are just competing to see who could get it done first? GI Joe the movie was awesome. Also traumatic pasts. Both Grape and King had traumatic pasts (it's the biggest thing they have in common).
And then God saw the havoc that humanity had wrought upon the earth, and he said unto them 'muffins and cookies kids, get off my lawn'
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

And i thought Peanut had it rough with his obsession towards a cat.
Tarrot is a dragon that is in love with a dog!

seem like they are very much the same in that aspect.
there such a great couple.
tikian12

Post by tikian12 »

IceKitsune wrote:

and sasha is the 9 tails in disguise
The only thing I can think is that they play the Avatars differently The Dragon creates one to be (a.k.a Tarot) and Pete plays his by indirect manipulation.
This is the way I see it. Dragon has already gained control of Tarrot as here avatar right, but what if Pete didn't yet. King going out to the party ruined Pete's chances of taking control of King. That and I actually have to say that maybe if the GM is a character, Fox is probably the avatar. A Nine tailed fox, kitsune, what ever its called, and a dog named Fox? Coincidence?
chess123mate

Post by chess123mate »

Brilliant job, Rick!

Evidently, the word "avatar" is not being used in the traditional sense. Tarot is a separate being from the dragon, just as King is separate from Pete. I don't think we know what "having/being an avatar" actually means yet. I do not believe that Tarot is in complete control by the dragon, although there is probably some sort of influence.

King is already an avatar, as we can see in panel 3 of the most recent comic.

Thus, Tarot is still the character we knew before we found about the dragon, and same with King.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

chess123mate wrote:Brilliant job, Rick!

Evidently, the word "avatar" is not being used in the traditional sense. Tarot is a separate being from the dragon, just as King is separate from Pete. I don't think we know what "having/being an avatar" actually means yet. I do not believe that Tarot is in complete control by the dragon, although there is probably some sort of influence.

King is already an avatar, as we can see in panel 3 of the most recent comic.

Thus, Tarot is still the character we knew before we found about the dragon, and same with King.
I think the definition of the word Avatar he is using is the D&D spell because it's the only one I could find that fits what is going on here. Because if its not this then hes using the word wrong.D&D Avatar Well this would explain why I (and a bunch of other people) were confused.

Edit: You know Rick I'm sorry but if I'm right about this and that's the definition you are using then I've got to say that is just kind of mean to your fans I mean no one could really understand what is happening here unless the knew some obscure D&D cleric spell. Because if its not then there is some thing I'm really missing here or again I believe your using the wrong word.
Last edited by IceKitsune on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

Last-Panel Kitsune should be an avi!
Zander

Post by Zander »

Fursona! :3

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
-Robert Louis Stevenson
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

:lol: hahahahahaha...awwwwww

...I really should try harder to notice the smaller things, thanks Zander.
Vadiant

Post by Vadiant »

Personally, I think Daisy is just the ultimate NPC.
RG; Seb & Dahlia
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I can suddenly think of Max giggling like that at Grape back then.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

I like how people are upset at the idea that Tarot might not be real, despite the fact that I said no such thing, yet everyone seems fine with the idea that Max MIGHT be the Kitsune
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

To quote somebody, "Ahh, the fickle public."

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Draaamaqueens!
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Zander

Post by Zander »

rickgriffin wrote:I like how people are upset at the idea that Tarot might not be real, despite the fact that I said no such thing, yet everyone seems fine with the idea that Max MIGHT be the Kitsune
*heart stops*
Fursona! :3

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
-Robert Louis Stevenson
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I like the fact that lots of people are calling the kitsune a Ninetales. And that there is no consensus on how to spell it. (It's N-I-N-E-T-A-L-E-S.)
Zander wrote:Image
I was actually referring to Rick when I posted that in the first place, so I beat him to his own joke. :3
rickgriffin wrote:If anyone assumes that ANYTHING mythological was made up for any anime, that's just sad
The Shinigami might as well have been, from what I've heard. They're apparently not much older than anime is, as they don't come from Shinto or anything, but from Japan putting a twist on the West's idea of the Grim Reaper.
valerio wrote:"kit-sounae"
Not to be rude, but that doesn't really help. Could you (or anyone else) separate it by syllables, try to stick with unambiguous English letter choice, and denote stresses?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

rickgriffin wrote:I like how people are upset at the idea that Tarot might not be real, despite the fact that I said no such thing, yet everyone seems fine with the idea that Max MIGHT be the Kitsune
Except for the fact that the word Avatar would mean that The Dragon and her are the same person there for making Tarot not real, with only one exception that I can find in the D&D spell thing unless I'm missing something here and if I am I really would like you to explain this because I'm confused here.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

IceKitsune wrote:
Except for the fact that the word Avatar would mean that The Dragon and her are the same person there for making Tarot not real, with only one exception that I can find in the D&D spell thing unless I'm missing something here and if I am I really would like you to explain this because I'm confused here.
I'm a avatar, this is not me
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Sorry if it sounds like that,Rick. :oops:

i'm not trying to make it sound like i'm favoring Tarot's predicament over Max's, but i just find it interestingly clever all of a sudden that a cat maybe under the eye of a fox.

Probably should've said this earlier too, but i'm just assuming Max as well as the most likely candidate if the Kitsune has anyone in Babylon Garden. If the fox is playing in Babylon garden, i'm taking a good chance that just because the connection between foxes and cats in Japan is usually well tied, i'm assuming there's a high chance that he hahs a cat avatar.

But then again, whose to say he's playing as something as small as a mouse to toy with cats? @_@
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
sliceofdog

Post by sliceofdog »

I like how people are upset at the idea that Tarot might not be real, despite the fact that I said no such thing, yet everyone seems fine with the idea that Max MIGHT be the Kitsune
Well, judging by the most recent comic, I think that Tarot does exist as a separate being. If King is Pete's chosen avatar, and King is separate from Pete, surely Tarot is separate from the dragon?
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

IceKitsune wrote:Except for the fact that the word Avatar would mean that The Dragon and her are the same person there for making Tarot not real, with only one exception that I can find in the D&D spell thing unless I'm missing something here and if I am I really would like you to explain this because I'm confused here.
I am using the word 'avatar' as the closest word to what I wanted to express. Nothing about it excludes the idea that the avatar can be a separate incarnation, and in fact almost definitely MEANS a separate incarnation from that which it represents. It does not exclude a "chosen vessel" definition, which is clearly how Pete is using it to talk about King.

I don't think Avatar has stuck to its literal dictionary definition in fiction for several years now, since it came to mean something else in computers.

I could have used another term, Champion, but I had been considering using that for something else, because it suggests something COMPLETELY separate from that which it represents.
Ratros

Post by Ratros »

I think that everyone is upset that Peanut might lose his girlfriend, yet they forget the fact that she only showed up to comfort him in his time of need, and has been pushing for him and Grape to get together. That and you have one fickle fanbase Mr. Griffin. Anyways to quote some dead guy: You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all the people all the time. Do what you want, this is your vision, and if I may be so bold, it's quite brilliant.
Ratros

Post by Ratros »

rickgriffin wrote: I am using the word 'avatar' as the closest word to what I wanted to express. Nothing about it excludes the idea that the avatar can be a separate incarnation, and in fact almost definitely MEANS a separate incarnation from that which it represents. It does not exclude a "chosen vessel" definition, which is clearly how Pete is using it to talk about King.

I don't think Avatar has stuck to its literal dictionary definition in fiction for several years now, since it came to mean something else in computers.

I could have used another term, Champion, but I had been considering using that for something else, because it suggests something COMPLETELY separate from that which it represents.
You know this would mean that Peanut has two different girls chasing after him, Peanut you dawg you.....back to the corner of shame.
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Excuse me for not taking Creative Metaphysical Thinking (CREMTHIN502A) last semester! Friday evenings simply weren't good for me! :P :lol:

Okay, I THINK I get this, and while there are still a LOT of questions in existentialism and metaphysical ethics that need to be answered in the current situation, I think this will be good for most people. :)
Vadiant

Post by Vadiant »

Sleet wrote:
valerio wrote:"kit-sounae"
Not to be rude, but that doesn't really help. Could you (or anyone else) separate it by syllables, try to stick with unambiguous English letter choice, and denote stresses?
Ki-tsu-ne.
Key(The thing you unlock doors with)-Tsoo(Like Tsunami; or 'it's ooh' without the 'i')-Nay(Like you're saying no; rhymes with Yay!).
RG; Seb & Dahlia
arcict

Post by arcict »

There is so much I want to say, but the great... change/wierdness/silliness saps me of (almost) all power to actually say anything.

I suppose I first don't understand people associating the great kitsune as having Daisy as an avatar, I just look at that smile and I instantly think Max but with this big a thing and I suddenly realize that I have less idea what's going on then King does at this point.

I can't help but feel... EVERYTHING at this point.

I truely think only a great storyteller could tell us so much and so little and keep us buzzing this hard for stuff with a mere 8 panels of information. (not including the previous page)

While I appreciate the "additional information" update to the previous page it wasn't very necessary to me. The concept that the world was just representational was apparent to me when I realized that there were either a great myrid of... great beings... still playing with just these three "up here" as the great kitsune says OR... that there are a great many NPCs with nobody playing as them and thus it seems likely that the world(s?!) can continue just fine without these three (or more) messing around with it.

"hmmm, mess... mess mess messy mess"

Reminds me of a quote I made a psychic character in a story where he gets beat to the ground and replies with...

"I think I'm going to make a messy...

...out of your brain!"

oh, and I always make it a deliberate point to pronounce it "kit" + "soon"... simply because IIRC Kitsune is also the official word for any old fox, not just some big magical being tailed thing. As such, to differentiate between the two words I pronounce the magical one in an "unofficial" way. But that's just me.
Everything I need to know, I learned from webcomics!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

rickgriffin wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:Except for the fact that the word Avatar would mean that The Dragon and her are the same person there for making Tarot not real, with only one exception that I can find in the D&D spell thing unless I'm missing something here and if I am I really would like you to explain this because I'm confused here.
I am using the word 'avatar' as the closest word to what I wanted to express. Nothing about it excludes the idea that the avatar can be a separate incarnation, and in fact almost definitely MEANS a separate incarnation from that which it represents. It does not exclude a "chosen vessel" definition, which is clearly how Pete is using it to talk about King.

Ok I guess I get it. I still think a better term could have been used but Its your comic you can do what you want. Though this brings up another point does the real Tarot have feelings for Peanut or not because Pete's line to me implies she doesn't and Dragon is basically having her stay with him so Dragon can be close to him and Tarot is doing so just because she's the Dragons Avatar (I still say Host (I'm kind of assuming that Tarot transformed into the Dragon and when shes Tarot the Dragon is inside her and isn't sitting around the table by herself or something) or even Agent would have been a better word but again you know whats best for the comic.) But I've been wrong before so I don't know anymore.

Edit: clarified somethings
Edit 2: I remembered the other word that would also be better thanks to Liam
Last edited by IceKitsune on Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JOFOXX

Post by JOFOXX »

I don't understand all the fuss about the name... "Avatar" sounds perfect to me.
Ratros

Post by Ratros »

Hey IceKitsune, I'm still waiting on levels and classes, since you ARE the GM and all....I'm never gonna be able to come out of this corner...
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

arcict wrote: While I appreciate the "additional information" update to the previous page it wasn't very necessary to me.
Well SOME people needed additional grounding to reassure them that I wasn't suddenly throwing all rules everywhere out the window for the sake of a stupid gag