Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ] 
Awkward Situations 

Post Awkward Situations
The door bell rang.

"I'll get it!" said Honey, leaping to the door as though she were expecting a very important package--which she wasn't.

She opened the door to find a German shepherd there--a very familiar German shepherd.

"Wort? Wort Yogurt?"

Wort looked rather nervous, hiding his paws behind his back, and scratching his ankle with his other foot.

"Hello! I don't think you've ever come over to our house--would you...would you like to come in?"

"Thanks, Honey. I really--I need to...if I'm not intruding."

"Of course not! You're always welcome here!" Honey sensed something was wrong, but decided to wait until Wort said it himself.

Wort didn't come in yet. "Is...."

He hung his head, turning red with embarrassment. He cleared his throat, stood up straight, and tried again.

"Is Vanilla here?"

Honey's ears perked up. Could it be...?

"Yes, I'll go get her," she said, trying not to burst with excitement.

"Please do. I have something I need to tell the both of you--you're not going to be happy about it, but it's better you find out from me personally."

That let the air out of Honey.

We're NOT going to be happy about it? Uh-oh...I have a funny feeling he's not here to try a glass slipper on Vanilla's foot....

"O...kay...?"

Wort hung his head again. "Please, Honey, this is embarrassing enough as it is. I don't like having to say it, and I can't stand to say it twice."

"Okay, I'll go get Vanilla...."

"No."

"Come on, Vanilla, he asked for you."

"I don't want to see him! Don't make me!"

"Vanilla...." started Honey. "I don't want to put you through this either--he said we weren't going to be happy--but he also said it would be better if we found out from him personally. That suggests we're going to find out anyway. He's taking the trouble to tell us straight from the horse's mouth, so let's take the trouble to listen to him, okay?"

Vanilla cringed. "I very much doubt he's come over to tell me he's quit his job so he could be with me. What else could he possibly say that WOULD make me happy?"

Vanilla realized what she said, and covered her mouth.

"I didn't say that! Forget I said it!"

"Forgotten, Vanilla. Come on, let's just go."

Vanilla did her best to steel herself--to pretend she could care less what Wort had to say.

It didn't help.

Not even a little bit.

"I'm so sorry--Strawberry's told me about Vanilla, and I didn't come here to hurt anyone's feelings...." said Wort, looking like he had set their house on fire by accident and was offering to pay for it. "But...you're going to find out anyway, and the manly thing to do is to be up front and tell you now, rather than let you find out some other way, from someone else."

"What is it, Wort?"

Wort scratched his head, gritting his teeth. "I'm...in love with someone. And...." He gulped, feeling as though he had a butcher knife sticking in Vanilla's heart and was about to twist it. "And...it's not Vanilla."

Honey's ears perked up. She almost looked like she would cry herself. Vanilla pulled her hood over her face.

"If that's all you've come to tell us, Mr. Yogurt, I believe our business is concluded. Excuse me whilst I retire to my chambers."

Honey watched as Vanilla left. She knew exactly why Vanilla was leaving. She needed a good cry. Honey's heart nearly broke too--but since Vanilla wouldn't want company for some minutes, she decided to take advantage of the fact that she was now alone with Wort.

A tear rolled down Wort's cheek. "I feel like such a heel...."

Honey put a sympathetic paw on his shoulder. "I know it feels that way, but you did the right thing. It would have been harder on Vanilla if she had found out by seeing you out with the girl you really have feelings for, or hearing her say it."

"I--I wish I'd come to say that I was interested in Vanilla, now that I know how she felt about me.... And I do like her--very much--but...not in that way. It's nothing against her, and it's not an insult--I just have never felt that way about her, and I can't force it."

"No, you can't," said Honey. "Just so we know where we are, though, I have a question to ask you, and I want an honest answer."

"Okay," said Wort, having no idea what the question was, which rather surprised Honey. She supposed it was because he was male.

"Wort...this girl you're in love with who isn't Vanilla...is it--me?"

Now it was Wort's turn to perk up his ears in surprise. "What? No!"

Honey backed off.

"Er--I mean, don't get me wrong, you're very lovable--and very pretty--but...oh, I didn't mean for it to sound that way, I'm sorry! This is another reason why I came!"

"It's okay, Wort. I'm kind of glad, because...well, you're very handsome, and very brave, and I like you very much and all, but--it wouldn't work out between us anyway, not with Vanilla's feelings for you. And while it's kind of impossible not to have a crush on you, I haven't exactly been waiting by the phone for you to call me either--again, nothing personal against you, and no offense meant."

"None taken."

"But what's the other reason why you came?"

Wort exhaled. "Oh MAN this is awkward! I...was wondering if...maybe...you...might...help me?"

Honey cocked her head in confusion. "Help you with what, Wort?"

"This."

"'This'?"

Wort groaned. "Obviously I'm not very good at talking to girls."

"You talk to Strawberry fine."

"That's different! She's my sister--it's not the same thing."

Honey nodded. "I'll take your word for it."

"Well...this girl I'm in love with--you don't know her, she just moved into the neighborhood. In fact, she moved next door to us. Her name is Rhoda Dendron, and she's a beautiful Pomeranian. But...she doesn't know I'm alive."

"Have you tried asking her to feel your pulse?"

Wort cringed. "Come on, Honey, quit clowning around, I'm serious!"

"Wort, I don't think you need to talk to me, I think you need to talk to her."

"But--I'm not good at talking to girls. I don't know what they're like."

"Don't stereotype us, Wort, we're not all alike--and you know it. I don't know anything about this Rhoda--I wouldn't know the first thing about helping you talk to her!"

Wort suddenly looked much smaller.

"I'm sorry--I didn't mean to yell. It's just that...I'm really not comfortable helping you get some girl who isn't my sister anyway."

"I understand--and I wouldn't even have asked you, but...other than Strawberry and Vanilla, and Rhoda...you're the only girl dog I know."

Honey turned away. "I wish I could help you, Wort--I hate not being able to help my friends, and you're a very good friend--but...I'm not comfortable with this. The only thing that would make it worse would be if it were me you had feelings for instead of Rhoda."

Wort paused. "I guess this is my cue to leave."

Tears filled Honey's eyes, but she didn't turn to look at him. "If you so desire."

Wort opened the door. "Goodbye, Honey," he said.

Honey knew he just meant "for now", but it felt to her as though he were walking out of the Cakes' lives forever.

She went to go comfort Vanilla as best she could, but right now Honey was feeling pretty low herself.

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:16 pm
Game Master

Post Re: Awkward Situations
I must still decide if Wort is being a plain jerk, or a typical male.
Now to see if our beloved sisters will try and sabotage Wort's first date :twisted:

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:28 pm
Profile WWW

valerio wrote:
I must still decide if Wort is being a plain jerk, or a typical male.
Now to see if our beloved sisters will try and sabotage Wort's first date :twisted:

Wort is NOT being a jerk--in fact, he's trying as hard as he knows how NOT to be a jerk. And I hope he's not being a typical male here either.

And as for that last thing you said....

*Honey and Vanilla walk up to valerio and stick out their paws*

"Hi, we're Honey and Vanilla Cake. I don't believe you've met us before."

Seriously, they would NEVER do that! No, I have a much better idea in mind for this story. :D

--Phoenix

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:06 pm

This is a continuation of anothe story, right? The names are hilarious!

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too! Many biologists died to bring us this information! Why won't you honor their deaths?! What I did to their families?!

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:15 pm

Silly Zealot wrote:
This is a continuation of anothe story, right? The names are hilarious!

Well, it's part of a series, if that's what you mean. "Yogurt and Cake" explains the background information, if you want to read that.

Thanks! :D

--Phoenix

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Chapter 2

By the time Honey got to Vanilla's room, Vanilla had already had a good cry. Her eyes were no longer wet, but red, and the fur on her face was matted. She was gulping and her voice was hoarse, sounding like she needed to drink some water.

"I don't want to talk about it," said Vanilla. "Just answer me one question: are you the one Wort's in love with?"

"No, Vanilla, don't worry. It's someone else."

Vanilla turned away from her sister. "Did he say who?"

Honey nodded. "You don't know her. Her name is Rhoda Dendron. She just moved in with her family next door to the Yogurts."

Vanilla turned her head and stared as if Honey just told her that the color of the number three was oxygen.

"What did you say?"

"It's some new girl in the neighborhood. He asked me to help him learn how to talk to her, but I told him I wasn't comfortable with that. Don't worry, there's no awkwardness."

Vanilla angrily turned and flumped onto her pillow. "And you think this makes things BETTER? I wish it WAS you he was interested in!"

Now it was Honey's turn to stare at Vanilla as if she had just admitted to being from Mars.

"You wish it was me?! ...What are you seeing that I'm not?"

Vanilla groaned. "Kibble, do I have to draw you a diagram?!"

Honey was afraid to even answer that question.

Vanilla rolled her eyes. "Yes, it would be awkward. Yes, I would hate having my nose rubbed constantly in the fact that Wort chose my sister over me--and yes, I admit it, I'd find it hard to be happy for you because of...of stupid jealousy, stupid EMOTIONS.... Yes, all that's true--but at least it would make SENSE!!!"

Honey didn't say anything.

Vanilla scrunched her pillow. "This way he's saying he has feelings for some girl he's never even met! At least he knows you, and likes you! I wouldn't be happy about you and him, but that would make sense--then he'd be with someone he knew!"

Honey suspected she knew what the next thing Vanilla would say was going to be, but let her say it.

"He's doing the exact...same...thing...that I did! He should know better! He knows about how I felt about him! That's why he came in the first place--to spare me from...from seeing him with her, or from hearing it from her, or her parents, or his parents, or Strawberry! He should KNOW better! Why is he making the exact same stupid mistake that I did?!?!?"

Honey wanted to say something, but wasn't sure if this was the right time.

"Maybe...."

Vanilla turned to face her sister.

"Maybe what?"

"Maybe I'm not the one he needs to talk to."

Honey decided to leave it at that, and Vanilla didn't ask.

"If you need me, you know where my room is," said Honey with a smile as she left Vanilla's room.

Vanilla thought about what Honey said. She knew what Honey was getting at, and she would not do it.

Why should I help him? He's making the same mistake I did even though he has my example to look to--he won't even listen to me! My words won't help if my example won't, so why should I bother? Besides, he'll just think I'm jealous, and that the only reason I don't want him to start things up with this girl is because I want him for myself! That would be embarrassing! And uncomfortable....

She rolled over onto her back and stared at the ceiling, counting the tiles.

Is that why?

She rolled onto her stomach again.

Of course not! I was never in love with him in the first place! It's not like we were going out and then he broke up with me--that would have made sense! I know better--I should know better! This is good for me--it's showing me how dense the guy is, how undesirable he is for a boyfriend! Even if they do end up...together...it'll be her problem, not mine! Her loss is my gain. Let them eat cake.

She rolled onto her back.

Would that make me happy, though? No. I'd hate seeing the two of them together--and the fact that she lives next door means I won't be able to visit Strawberry anymore. That's already awkward enough as it is. I don't want them to get together. Besides...if he suffered the same heartbreak as me...we'd have something to bond over--a common experience. That's a horrible thing to want! I don't want him for myself for his sake--being saddled with someone who would want that! But...how do I know she's any better? She might not even care at all!

Vanilla sat up.

"I need to talk to this girl."

She turned her head.

"Who said that? That couldn't have been ME...."

She turned the other way.

"It was you, you dummy. You know it was."

She got out of bed, still unable to believe she was doing what she was doing.

I am not doing this, I am not doing this, I am not doing this.... thought Vanilla as she was on the telephone, waiting for the ringing to stop and someone to pick up.

"Dendron residence. Phil O. Dendron speaking."

SLAM!

Vanilla took some deep breaths, then grumbled.

"Nice going, stupid--now he probably thinks it was a crank call! Don't do that again!"

Trembling, she dialed the number again. Now it was even more embarrassing than before.

"Hello, Dendron residence."

Vanilla gulped twice.

"Hello, is anyone there?"

"Yes."

"Pardon?"

Vanilla mustered every ounce of courage she had.

"Yes, sir. My name is Vanilla Cake. I'm one of the pets of this neighborhood--a Shetland Sheepdog."

"Did you call earlier?"

Vanilla winced. "I--I just wanted to...to--to--"

"To?"

"Towelcomeyoutotheneighborhood."

She held the phone away from herself but didn't dare hang up.

"Um...thank you, Miss Cake."

"Er...you're...welcome, Mr. Dendron. Um...do you--do you have any...any...pets?"

"Oh yes. I have a Russian wolfhound named Mellio, and a Pomeranian named Rhoda. Would you like to talk with them?"

"NO!!!"

"Pardon?!"

"I--I mean...well...better if I meet them in person, right?"

"You don't have to be shy, Miss. We're very friendly people. If your dad says it's okay, you're welcome to come and visit."

Vanilla gritted her teeth and said the next words through her teeth. "Yes, I think that would be best, thank you. Bye now."

She hung up.

"What did I just DO?!?!?!?"

--Phoenix

Last edited by ChewyChewy on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:03 pm
Puppy Wrangler

She got brave is all.... she should accept that... :)

Nice to see the cake sister back again.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:39 pm
laughing maniacally

Wow, I didn't know there were so many pun names for Dendron.

I look forward to the rest.

also, I feel the need to eventually read the older Cake stories, so I have them bookmarked so I can get to them when I have time

well, the ones I haven't already read.

I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:00 am
Profile YIM
Game Master

forecasts of insta-crush over mr. handsome wolfhound :D

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:00 am
Profile WWW

@Brent: Me neither.

Thanks, me too! :D

I've been bookmarked! :D Hope you like them!

Which are those? :)

@valerio: From whom, Honey? :? Vanilla likes Wort, remember?

And how do you know he's handsome anyway? I never said he was. (Though congratulations on guessing that he's a "he"--I was worried I hadn't made that clear enough. :oops: )

Honestly, I'm coming to wonder how much of this you're taking in, from what you keep saying.... Or are you just pulling my tail?

--Phoenix

Last edited by ChewyChewy on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:04 pm
laughing maniacally

ChewyChewy wrote:

I started reading around Vanilla in Wonderland, so anything before that.

RP character sheets

Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:05 pm
Profile YIM

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
ChewyChewy wrote:

I started reading around Vanilla in Wonderland, so anything before that.

Ah. Well, "Yogurt and Cake" is the main one that might fill you in on the background of these characters.

--Phoenix

Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:07 pm
Game Master

ChewyChewy wrote:
@Brent: Me neither.

Thanks, me too! :D

I've been bookmarked! :D Hope you like them!

@valerio: From whom, Honey? :? Vanilla likes Wort, remember?

And how do you know he's handsome anyway? I never said he was. (Though congratulations on guessing that he's a "he"--I was worried I hadn't made that clear enough. :oops: )

Honestly, I'm coming to wonder how much of this you're taking in, from what you keep saying.... Or are you just pulling my tail?

Well, I have seen pictures of Russian Wolfhounds. So, unless we're talking of a very badly kept dog, or one who survived something nasty, it would be only fair that a girl would feel some attraction for such handsome breed...or is Vanilla the kind of girl a bit *obsessed* with Wort? :?

Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:49 am
Profile WWW

valerio wrote:
Well, I have seen pictures of Russian Wolfhounds. So, unless we're talking of a very badly kept dog, or one who survived something nasty, it would be only fair that a girl would feel some attraction for such handsome breed...or is Vanilla the kind of girl a bit *obsessed* with Wort? :?

I guess we have different tastes then, because I don't see Russian Wolfhounds as being that good-looking.... :?

Anyway, Vanilla wants very much NOT to experience the same thing again.

--Phoenix

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:14 pm

Here's Chapter 3!

"Help me."

"What's the matter, Vanilla?" said Honey.

"I just swallowed my foot."

Honey cocked her head and looked. "It doesn't look swallowed to me."

"Honey, quit clowning around, I'm serious!"

"What exactly did you do, Vanilla?"

"I don't want to talk about it--suffice it to say, we need to go visit the Dendrons. Like right now."

"We? Need? I don't understand."

"Kibble! I can't go alone! Not when I know Wort...likes her! And they're expecting me to go meet them! On the phone--I had to--I couldn't--I--I--I--"

Vanilla looked like she was starting to hyperventilate.

"Breathe, Vanilla."

Vanilla pulled her jacket over her nose and mouth and breathed into it.

"I won't ask any more questions. I don't know what your intent is, but maybe I should go, if only to keep an eye on you and...whatever."

Vanilla nodded vigorously.

"I'll go ask Dad if we can go," said Honey.

"I can't."

"You're the one who called them, Vanilla."

"Honey, please don't make me!"

"I'm not. You're the one who swallowed her foot. Go on, ring the doorbell."

Vanilla put a trembling finger to the doorbell--then retracted it. Squinting and clenching her teeth, she tried again.

DING-dong! It sounded as loud as a car alarm in Vanilla's ears.

She heard barking coming from inside and became very nervous.

"Down, Mellio! Down, boy!" said a woman's voice.

Vanilla gulped and backed away from the door, into Honey's arms.

The door opened, and a long snout poked itself out, panting quickly.

"Hihihihihi!" said the very large dog. "New dogs, new dogs, new dogs!"

"Down, Mellio! Sit!"

The Russian Wolfhound sat, but seemed about to burst with energy.

"Stay. Good boy."

Mellio stayed, but sniffed. Vanilla looked very embarrassed.

"I'm sorry, you'll have to forgive Mellio--he's VERY energetic, but he means no harm. He's a nice dog."

"It's all right, ma'am. Welcome to the neighborhood. I'm Honey Cake--I live a couple blocks down that way--and this is my sister Vanilla."

"HoneyandVanillaCake, HoneyandVanillaCake!" said Mellio.

"Nice to meet you ladies! I'm Mrs. Dendron, and this is Mellio--and we have another dog, a Pomeranian. Her name is Rhoda. She'd be here to greet you, but...she's shy."

"Tell me about it," muttered Vanilla.

"I beg your pardon?"

Vanilla quickly cleared her throat and said, "I mean--may I--may WE--please talk to Rhoda?"

"Mais oui!" said Mrs. Dendron, making a pun that did not amuse Vanilla, but it tickled Honey. "If I can get her to come out here."

"No, not here...may we--can we--could we...please come in?"

Vanilla's heart was pounding so hard she didn't know what was powering it.

"Absolutely--just let me sedate Mellio here."

Vanilla thought Mrs. Dendron was talking literally, but she wasn't. She took hold of Mellio's leash very close to his collar and gently pulled him away from the door. He barely seemed to notice.

"Come on in, girls," said Mrs. Dendron, opening the door wider. Mellio kept trying to leap at them, but Mrs. Dendron held him in check. "This guy gives me a workout--but I need the exercise."

Vanilla gave Mellio a wide berth, but it hardly seemed to help. Honey giggled at Mellio snuffling her headfur.

"Down, Mellio!" said Honey.

Mellio obeyed, but continued panting and wagging his tail.

When Mellio had been put in his own room, Mrs. Dendron knocked on the door to Rhoda's room.

"Rhoda? There are two dogs here who would like to speak with you."

"Do they have clearance?"

Vanilla's ears perked up. She wasn't expecting Rhoda to say that.

"I think so, yes," said Mrs. Dendron as though that were the most natural thing to say.

"Password, please."

Oh, for crying out loud.... thought Vanilla.

"Pomegranate, pompadour, Pomeranian," said Mrs. Dendron.

The door opened a crack. "Okay, they're cleared to come in."

Honey and Vanilla opened the door and came in, finding a very strange sight indeed. Or rather, it wasn't strange, but they weren't expecting it in this circumstance.

A black Pomeranian was hiding under a large and rather elaborate bridge of blocks. She was rather beautiful, as advertised--she was wearing a white blouse and blue jumper, and her headfur was held out of her eyes with two blue barrettes. Although Mrs. Dendron had said Rhoda was shy, that didn't seem to be the reason she was hiding.

"Shut the door, quick! You want the fallout to infect the whole house?!" she barked.

Honey shut the door with a SLAM.

"Get under here! You want to get radiation poisoning?!"

Honey dove under the bridge of blocks, managing not to knock it down. Vanilla didn't feel like playing around, as she was on a serious mission, but Rhoda insisted. Grumbling to herself, Vanilla slowly went under the bridge.

"So...exactly what's going on here?" asked Honey.

"Can't you see?" said Rhoda, not looking at her, and with no visible expression on her face. "It's a nuclear holocaust. This is the only habitable zone for 100 miles."

Honey stifled a giggle. This was a creative game she and Vanilla had never played.

Rhoda glared at Honey. "It's not funny."

"I'm sorry...." said Honey, finding it very hard to stop laughing.

"Rhoda?" said Vanilla.

"SHHH!!!" said the Pomeranian, clapping a paw to Vanilla's mouth. "My name isn't Rhoda, it's Agent #010! If they find out who I really am, we're all dead!"

Vanilla firmly took the Pomeranian's paw off her mouth. "Rhoda...when you're through playing this game, I need to talk to you about something important."

"What makes you think this is a game?" said Rhoda, staring icily into Vanilla's eyes.

Vanilla wanted to go home. Badly. Worse than she had ever wanted to go home in her memory.

--Phoenix

Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:13 pm
Game Master

If Wort fell for this gal, either he's one who goes for superficial only, or he's got a reality check problem himself...

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:09 am
Profile WWW

valerio wrote:
If Wort fell for this gal, either he's one who goes for superficial only, or he's got a reality check problem himself...

Or he knows something Honey and Vanilla don't.... ;)

Anyway, here's Chapter 4!

Vanilla was tossing and turning as though having a nightmare--except she wasn't asleep, and it wasn't even nighttime.

It's not FAIR! she thought to herself. How could he make the exact same mistake I did, and then go for someone like HER?!

She turned over onto her back. Careful, Vanilla, how you say "her"--you don't want to sound jealous, do you?

She pounded her pillow. It just doesn't make any sense! Why do people not make SENSE?!

She turned onto her back again. Even I don't make any sense--how could I have fallen for someone like Wort anyway? He was never interested, and I never even knew him! Why then can't I get over him?! I HATE emotions!

A soft knock at the door.

"WHAT?!"

"May I come in?"

Honey.

"I don't care...."

Honey came in and pulled the shades up--Vanilla had pulled them down, as if it were nighttime. Vanilla squinted and hissed.

"Are you okay?"

"There's the dumbest question that's ever been asked...."

"Relatively speaking, are you okay?"

"Kibble! That girl's not the loving type! Wort's going to go through the exact same thing I did! He'll realize she's not interested, and his heart will be broken!"

"Maybe that won't happen--maybe we don't know Rhoda as well as we think we do."

"It's going to happen, Honey!" snapped Vanilla. "And worst of all...kibble, I'm so glad Wort was never interested in me...."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because...because I want it to happen! I want him to experience what I did! I want him to have a broken heart! Then he'll understand me...then we'll have something to bond over...then...kibble! I don't want to want that--what kind of sadist am I?!"

Honey sat down next to Vanilla on her bed. "Do you want that because you're angry with him?"

"NO...a little, maybe--grah, kibble! I have no reason to be angry with him! He didn't DO anything--it was all ME! He didn't break my heart, I broke it myself! But--that's not why."

"Why, then?"

Vanilla whined.

"Don't whine, Vanilla, just talk to me, please."

Vanilla started to tear up. "He just doesn't understand! He doesn't listen! He knows what I went through with him and now he's doing the same thing himself! If he doesn't end up heartbroken like I did, then...."

"Then what?"

"Then why did it happen to me and not to him?!" sobbed Vanilla, burying her face in Honey's shoulder.

Honey put her arms around her sister.

"It's just not fair! It doesn't make sense! People don't make sense! The only way it makes sense is if...is if I'm...I'm--unlovable!!"

"Shh, shh, you know better than that, Vanilla. You're a genius. You've got lots to offer. You're smart, you're funny, you're a caring person, and if you smiled more you could realize your true beauty. IF Wort and Rhoda get together--and that's an IF, not a when--it isn't because you're unlovable. The heart just...wants what it wants--like yours did. It doesn't make sense, Vanilla. Feelings rarely do, especially where love is concerned."

Vanilla pounded with her fist, not realizing she was hitting Honey. Honey took it, because it wasn't as hard as it could have been.

"That's why I hate them...." moaned Vanilla. "Has this ever happened to you?"

"Not this intensely, but yes."

Vanilla sniffed. "Really?"

"How do you think I felt when that gorgeous police dog helped us get home?"

Vanilla cocked her head. "What? You like Wort too?"

"Not like that, no," said Honey. "It's just a crush--nothing serious. It's kind of hard NOT to have a crush on him. Well, I don't have to tell you."

"But--you were happy for me when you found out I liked him."

"Yes--but I was also a little jealous at the idea, especially since I know you hate emotions. Suppose Wort had been interested in you--how would you have felt?"

Vanilla turned around. "Like that'd ever happen."

"Hypothetically. Suppose Wort had come over to tell you he was in love with you, and wanted to ask you out on a date--some place he knew you loved, like a Philip Glass concert. Suppose he did his level best to make sure you had a good time, knowing everything you like and everything you don't like, and acting accordingly. Suppose he was the perfect gentleman."

"Stop it."

"How would you feel, Vanilla?"

Vanilla's tail twitched back and forth, but otherwise she didn't move--she was still facing away from Honey.

"Scared."

"Why? Wort's not scary--he would never hurt you...well, not on purpose...."

"That's just it, though," muttered Vanilla. "That's what love IS. It's scary."

"What's scary about it?"

"Kibble, do I have to spell it out for you, Honey? Love means...means taking off your shell."

"Huh?"

Vanilla removed her hood. She almost never did that. "It means making yourself vulnerable, Honey--and when you're vulnerable, you can more easily get hurt! I don't want to get hurt--not again!"

"Suppose you didn't get hurt. Suppose you never had a reason to be scared, or hurt. Suppose being Wort's girlfriend were the most wonderful thing in the world. Then how would you feel?"

"That wouldn't happen."

"Hypothetically."

"Hypothetically it would never happen, Honey! We don't live in a fairy tale with happily ever afters! We live in the real world! Wort's Wort, and I'm me! We're two completely different dogs--he likes what he likes and I like what I like, and while some of those things may coincide, not all of them will!"

"So?"

"What?"

"I'm me, and you're you. We're two completely different dogs--I like what I like and you like what you like, and while some of those things coincide, not all of them do. Have I ever hurt you?"

Vanilla turned away again. "Kibble...."

"Have I?"

Vanilla nodded. "Once or twice...."

"Enough to where you regret Dad adopting you?"

Vanilla shook her head as though she were all wet and trying to dry off.

"Well then?"

Vanilla began to whine again. "I don't want to think about hypotheticals. Wort isn't interested--thinking about it will only hurt!"

"Okay, forget Wort. Let's say it was someone else--your dream guy. You can make up whatever you want to about him, as long as he's the perfect boyfriend for you."

Vanilla snorted. "There's no such thing."

"Hypothetical, Vanilla, remember? Come on--suppose you met a guy like that, who was fairly close to being your perfect boyfriend. And suppose the times he hurt you, and the times you hurt him, were so rare that it was like you are with me--you felt it was all worth it. How might you feel then?"

Vanilla started to cry. "I don't believe in romantic love!"

"You fear that'll never happen for you, Vanilla. It's okay to feel that way--I wonder if it'll ever happen for me. I mean, I'm smiley and friendly, and feminine--and I've been told I'm pretty--but I don't exactly have a flock of suitors asking me out, do I?"

Vanilla sniffled. "How do you deal with it?"

"I'm still alive. That's how."

Vanilla turned back to Honey. "What?"

"No one knows the future, Vanilla. It might be that we're both destined to have the greatest guys in the world as boyfriends, just that we haven't met them yet--maybe they don't even live in the neighborhood yet. You never know--it could happen."

Vanilla cocked an eyebrow.

"But it won't happen for you if you won't let it. Your dream guy could ring the doorbell any second and say he thinks you're the most beautiful dog he's ever seen, and ask you out on a date some time you're free, and at a place you love. But if you say no, you could be missing out on the happiest moments of your life."

"I could also be missing out on the most miserable moments of my life."

"Yes--but that's the price you have to pay, Vanilla. Your way you're guaranteed to remain alone because it's your choice--and the happy moments might just outweigh the misery."

Vanilla stood up, not looking at Honey.

"That's just it, isn't it?"

"What's that?"

"It's my choice."

"Hmm?"

"That's why I prefer it this way. I'm in control."

Honey stood up too. "Yes, it's your choice. If you don't want to let a nice boy into your life because you're scared, that's your choice. And if you decide to risk the heartbreak because you want the happiness, that's also your choice. But I'll say one thing--you don't have to give up control completely in a relationship. Only a little bit, like you do when we role-play together. I don't do everything exactly the way you would, do I?"

Honey left Vanilla to think about this.

Vanilla thought about it.

A lot.

DING-dong! The doorbell rang.

Vanilla's ears perked up.

"It's a coincidence, silly. Things like that don't happen in reality."

She went to answer the door--uncharacteristically for her--but just to prove that it was someone ordinary.

"Mail dog."

"Oh, hardy har," muttered Vanilla as she thought of the auditory pun.

"Miss?" said the dog at the door.

"Nothing--thank you," she said, taking the mail.

After the mail dog left, something occurred to Vanilla that wouldn't have if she hadn't had that conversation with Honey. What if that mail dog had been...Mr. Right?

Don't be ridiculous--you want to get your heart broken again? In the exact same way??? He was just doing his job!

Vanilla sat down to think. Yes, he was just doing his job. He didn't know Vanilla. Suppose he did know her, though--would he be interested? Might he ask her out?

"Kibble...I'm not gonna flag him down now. No more crushes for this Sheltie, no sir."

Still...there was no way of his getting to know her unless one of them took the initiative. If he didn't--well, if he didn't then she wasn't interested. Then again...suppose they invited him over?

No, that would be embarrassing, to invite just him over. It'd have to be something bigger than that, like a party.

Vanilla shuddered. Parties weren't her thing.

Still, they were ways to get to know people. But who else would she invite?

"Strawberry, of course. And...I guess it wouldn't be right not to at least invite Wort, even if he turned it down.... And...I guess Mellio and Rhoda, since they're new in the neighborhood--wouldn't really be right to have a party and not invite them, I guess.... And...I don't want to invite Silver, but--if that's what it takes to get Strawberry over here.... Oh, kibble, look at me! This isn't me! I don't plan parties!"

She started pacing back and forth--she put the mail on the pony bar when she reached it the third time.

"Forget it--I'm not throwing a fake party just to get to know one guy better who's never shown any interest in me anyway. If I throw a party it's going to be sincere--a more generic 'get to know you' party. If there are boys there...then...then there'll have to be more than one, so that IF any of them were interested--like that'd ever happen--I'll have my pick. I can't hope for just one--I'm not going through what I went through with Wort."

Vanilla would have kicked dust if she had been outside.

"Kibble, I'm not going to throw a party like that! I'm not gonna advertise myself like I'm some new product just off the assembly line! Might as well go outside with a horn and a sign saying 'I'm Vanilla Cake and I'm available'!"

She shuddered at the thought.

"Besides, I'd make a fool of myself in front of everyone because I don't like the Dendrons. They wouldn't feel welcome--they'd remember that I embarrassed them and they wouldn't want anything to do with me again. Then what?"

Vanilla paced some more.

"Still...I suppose it would be gauche not to do something to welcome the Dendrons into the neighborhood.... And if Wort were at a party with Rhoda he'd pretty much have to do something.... Okay, try to look on the bright side of things: if Rhoda breaks Wort's heart, it won't be your fault because of the party--it might even be his own fault for not taking initiative--and he'll know what you went through and we'll have something to bond over. We might even become closer friends that way. And if she doesn't...if she doesn't, then Wort and Rhoda will be happy--and what kind of friend am I if I don't want that? Either way, something good comes out of it. Right? Right."

Vanilla stopped pacing.

"What am I DOING?!?"

"I'm coming, don't break the door down!" said Honey, rushing to the door of her bedroom and opening it.

"Honey...I've forced myself into a cataclysmic decision."

"Careful, don't squash yourself in there."

"Honeyyyy!"

"Okay, okay, what's the cataclysmic decision?"

Vanilla took a few deep breaths, standing first on one leg, then the other.

"I want to throw a party."

Honey perked up her ears. She put a paw to Vanilla's forehead.

"Do I feel sick?" said Vanilla sarcastically.

Honey stifled a giggle. "No, you don't." She put her paws on her hips. "Well, the plastic surgery is perfect, and you've got the voice down pat. You look and sound exactly like my sister Vanilla Cake--now, what did you do with her?"

"I'm serious, Honey. I...I want to throw a party for the Dendrons...and invite Wort--and Strawberry--and...maybe even Silver. I've asked Dad, and he said he didn't care as long as we don't mess up the house."

"Vanilla, this is awesome! This is a big step for you! And you know I love parties! Can I help you plan it? Can I? Huh?"

"'Help'? You can do it yourself for all I care. I don't care if it was my idea--I want as little to do with it as possible. Besides, I don't know the first thing about parties."

"EEEEEEEEE! Par-tee! Par-tee!" cried Honey, jumping up and down and waving her fists.

"What's got you so glum?" said Vanilla. "Come on, cheer up."

"I'm gonna decorate everything in purples and yellows!" cried Honey, hardly seeming to be aware of Vanilla anymore. "Don't worry, I'll keep the guest list down. It'll be business casual--that way no one has to feel too much pressure, but everyone can dress nice! The boys will wear long sleeves, no ties, and the girls will wear sweaters and solid knee-length skirts! There'll be canapés and punch and music and dancing and--oh, Vanilla, it's gonna be so much fun! You'll see!"

Vanilla facepalmed herself. "What have I DONE?"

--Phoenix

Last edited by ChewyChewy on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:51 am
Game Master

*dances>* Par-TY par-TY PER-TY! SQUEEEEEE! :D :D :D :D

Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:16 am
Profile WWW

valerio wrote:
*dances>* Par-TY par-TY PER-TY! SQUEEEEEE! :D :D :D :D

What's got you so glum? Come on, cheer up. :P

But yeah, I guess I've written myself into a party--and I'm like Vanilla, I don't know doodly-squat about parties. I don't go to them, and I certainly don't plan them. I'm not very social--I don't feel like I can be myself, it's too intimidating. :oops:

--Phoenix

Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:18 am

Here's Chapter 5!

"Is this really necessary, Honey?"

"I told you, it's business casual," said Honey, tying a blue scarf around Vanilla's neck. Vanilla was wearing a green sweater and a black skirt besides, and looked very nervous and embarrassed. Honey was wearing a solid purple sweater and blue skirt, and was wearing a yellow scarf. "You wanna look nice, don'tcha?"

"This party's not for me anyway."

"No, but you're one of the family, and we're giving the party. Besides, it was your idea." Honey started brushing Vanilla's headfur.

"I know, I know it was my idea--it was a harebrained idea right from the start. I don't want to do this."

"It was a nice idea. Anyway, who knows? It might be fun. Besides, other than the Dendrons, you know everyone who's gonna be here."

Vanilla took a deep breath and nodded. "I know. I appreciate that. I just don't know...."

DING-dong!

"That'll be the Yogurts," said Honey, going to answer the door. She licked her paw and slicked her headfur back first--she had decided not to wear her usual ponytail for this party--then opened the door.

"Hi, Honey! You look great! Thank you so much for inviting us!" said Strawberry, who was arm in arm with Silver the husky. Strawberry was wearing a pink sweater and green skirt, with a purple scarf, while Silver was wearing a long-sleeved blue shirt. Wort was with them too, wearing a similar shirt to Silver's except it was white. "Are we dressed appropriately?"

"Of course! You guys look great! Come on in!" said Honey.

Silver and Strawberry were making googly eyes at each other as they came in. Wort stayed on the doorstep.

"Come in, Wort! You look nice!"

"I'm...nervous," said Wort.

"Nothing to be nervous about. You know everyone here except the Dendrons."

"I know, I know--do you think Rhoda will like me?"

Honey put her paw on her hip. "Mister Wort Yogurt, you are a police dog. You've tackled dangerous armed criminals and didn't bat an eyelash. Are you telling me you're afraid of a girl?"

Wort nodded, without even hesitating. Honey facepalmed herself.

"We don't bite, Wort," said Honey. "Come on in and relax. Have some canapés--made 'em myself!"

Wort still looked nervous, but he came in.

Vanilla didn't want to see Wort, but didn't manage to get away before she heard him say, "Vanilla? Is that you? You look--nice."

Vanilla's heart began to pound. This was embarrassing--she had genuinely enjoyed the compliment and was terrified of showing it.

"So I didn't before?"

"What--no, no, of course not! It doesn't matter what you look like!"

"So I got dressed up for nothing?"

"What? No, I--oh, I didn't mean that either!" Wort left Vanilla, turning red all over.

Now you've done it, Vanilla! Can't you even take a compliment?!

"Stop, Wort!"

Wort stopped as if Vanilla were a sergeant.

"I'm--I'm sorry.... Thank you--that was nice of you to say that, and I should have just thanked you in the first place. I'm just--on edge right now, I apologize."

"Um...apology accepted. I really didn't mean any harm."

I know, thought Vanilla, forgetting to say it out loud.

DING-dong!

Vanilla cringed. She was NOT answering the door this time.

Honey scrambled to the door. "You'll love the Dendrons, guys!" she said to Strawberry and Silver.

Honey opened the door--and got bounced by Mellio. He was wearing a red long-sleeved shirt but otherwise was exactly as Honey remembered him.

"Hihihihihi, HoneyCakeHoneyCakeHoneyCake!" he said, panting and wagging his tail. Honey couldn't help giggling, even though he mussed up her headfur.

"Hi, Mellio! Down, boy!"

Mellio was full of energy but obedient.

"SO sorry about that, Honey!" said Mr. Dendron, giving Honey a hand up. "Are you all right?"

"I'm fine, thank you for asking!" said Honey, smiling. "Welcome Chez Cake, Mr. and Mrs. Dendron, and Mellio, and Rhoda."

"Rhoda, dear, say thank you," said Mrs. Dendron, producing a black Pomeranian from behind her. Rhoda was wearing a white sweater and blue skirt, and a blue scarf, as well as the familiar blue barrettes in her headfur. She darted her head back and forth like a deer sensing hunters.

"This is enemy territory--there could be spies anywhere," said Rhoda. "You never know who could be a spy."

"I have it on authority from the general that all here are accounted for," said Mr. Dendron.

Rhoda looked at Honey, who smiled back.

"Hello, Rhoda--you look lovely! Would you like to come in?"

Rhoda looked at the door frame as if she expected it to fall on her. She banged on the sides, then put her paws on her hips.

"Looks sturdy enough. Very well--but keep a sniff out for explosives."

Honey couldn't stifle a giggle.

"Why do you keep laughing?" said Rhoda. "Is there a nitrous oxide leak?"

Honey snorted. "No, no nitrous oxide leak. Everything's on the up and up, don't worry."

Honey took Rhoda by the arm--and Rhoda took it back.

"Come on, I don't know any kleptomaniac tricks," said Honey.

Rhoda still looked uncertain, but then gently took Honey's paw. She was not smiling, and in fact seemed to have no expression on her face, just as always.

Wort looked as shy as if he were the size of a canary as Honey led Rhoda to the Yogurts and Silver. It was all Mr. and Mrs. Dendron could do to keep Mellio from jumping on them--although he seemed intimidated by Wort.

"Newdogsnewdogsnewdogs!" said Mellio.

"Mr. and Mrs. Dendron, and Mellio and Rhoda Dendron, I'd like you to meet Wort Yogurt--he's a police dog--and his sister Strawberry, and her boyfriend Silver."

"Hello!" said Strawberry.

"Howdy, howdy, howdy!" said Silver.

Wort rubbed his sleeve with his other paw. "H-Hi."

Rhoda went up to each dog and squinted, sniffing. First she sniffed Silver.

"No trace of gunpowder on him," she said.

"Well, I HOPE not!" said Silver, surprised at the remark, but amused.

Rhoda sniffed Strawberry, who giggled.

"Nitrous oxide. I knew I should have brought my gas mask."

"It is NOT nitrous oxide!" laughed Strawberry.

Wort looked very uncomfortable as Rhoda sniffed him.

"Adrenaline," said Rhoda. "When a police dog is afraid, you know there's danger." She did not seem in the least bit afraid.

"N-No, Miss, there's no danger...." said Wort, turning red.

"Rhoda...." said Honey in a sing-song voice, "Wort here LIKES you."

"Honey!!" said Wort.

"Aww, how sweet!" said Mrs. Dendron. "Isn't it sweet, Rhoda?"

Rhoda did not seem to feel anything about that. She hardly seemed to have heard what Honey said.

Honey pushed Wort towards Rhoda. "Go on, don't be shy--say hello!"

"H-H-Hu-Nu-yu-duh...." said Wort, suddenly finding himself towering over Rhoda.

Rhoda looked up at him. "You like me."

"Well, it's just--I mean, I--I know I don't know you--Miss--but...well...I've seen you with your family, and...and you're very beautiful, and...and I guess I just...wanted to...to get to know you better...."

"A spy," said Rhoda with no discernable expression in her voice. "The police dog is a spy. We're all in trouble."

Oh, for crying out loud! thought Vanilla, mentally facepalming herself. She looked. Wort was red as a beet. Mr. and Mrs. Dendron tried their best to discreetly turn away so he wouldn't be embarrassed.

Vanilla marched right over to them, and surprisingly Rhoda backed off--one step.

"Now you listen to me, and you listen good, sister," said Vanilla. "Wort is no spy--he is the nicest, gentlest, bravest, strongest police dog you could possibly have the pleasure of knowing, never mind being interested in you. The least you could do is say hello, and thank him for the compliment."

"Vanilla--" started Wort.

Vanilla put up her paw. "So, Agent #010, what's it going to be?"

Rhoda looked back and forth between Wort and Vanilla--then back and forth again.

Then Rhoda did the last thing Vanilla could have expected.

She started to cry.

"I--I didn't--I just--I.... Oh, KIBBLE!!!" cried Vanilla and ran to her room in embarrassment.

A knock at the door.

"I'm SORRY, okay?!"

"It's me, Honey. May I come in?" said Honey.

Vanilla opened the door a crack.

"Well, I blew it, didn't I? I humiliated Wort and the Dendrons all at the same time. And this was my idea."

"Actually, Vanilla...the Dendrons want to know if you're okay."

Vanilla perked her ears. "What do they care?"

Honey motioned with her paw to follow her. "Just come out, and you'll see what I mean."

Vanilla very much didn't want to, but since Honey would be with her....

When she came back to the living room, Vanilla saw something she wasn't expecting--and part of her was upset but part of her just...didn't know what to think.

Wort was sitting on the love seat, his arms around Rhoda, who was sitting on his lap. She still had tears in her eyes but she wasn't crying anymore--her face was stony again. Wort was gently rocking her back and forth like a baby in a crib.

"I--I don't get it," said Vanilla.

"We're so sorry, Miss Cake," said Mr. Dendron to Vanilla. "We should have told you--moving has...been a very traumatic experience for Rhoda. It was so hard on her that she couldn't cope with it--and she hasn't recovered yet. So she playacts about it--she feels like it's the only way she can feel like she's in control. She started crying because that was being taken away from her."

"We've told Wort already," said Mrs. Dendron. "That's why he knew what to do."

Now Vanilla almost felt like crying. "He is...such a sweet dog...."

"Are you all right, Miss Cake?" asked Mrs. Dendron. "We were worried about you."

"No, I'm not--but I will be...thank you for asking.... I really appreciate it, you have no idea...."

Vanilla walked right up to Rhoda. Rhoda looked at her with no visible expression on her face as Wort stroked her headfur.

"Rhoda, I'm--I'm sorry. I--I didn't know. I can sympathize with your situation--but you'll get used to it. Can you forgive me?"

Rhoda slowly got down and looked Vanilla over. She sniffed.

"Countryman!" said Rhoda.

"I beg your pardon?!"

Before she knew what was happening, Vanilla felt Rhoda throw her arms around her in a tight hug.

"O...kay, what just happened?"

"You're one of ours!" said Rhoda. "It's been so long since I've seen one of you, or even talked to one of you except by correspondence! Martial law is no picnic!"

Vanilla looked at Rhoda with a confused expression. Rhoda was...for once...smiling.

And that unnerved Vanilla.

"I should have known you were from the same country--your accent betrayed you," said Rhoda.

"Wh-Whatever, Rhoda," said Vanilla.

Rhoda finally let go, and Vanilla said, "You're...you're getting a...a good boyfriend."

"He comes from good stock, dating all the way back to Clovis," said Rhoda. "His great-great-great-great grandfather was the chieftain's personal pet. The Flemish authorities told me so."

Wort blushed.

"That's her way of saying she thinks he's cute," said Mrs. Dendron.

"I...see...."

"How sweet!" said Honey, turning on some music. "Go on, Wort, ask Rhoda to dance!"

Wort still looked shy, even though he was hugging her not too long ago, but cleared his throat and stood up straight.

"Miss Rhoda Dendron, it would be my honor if you would dance the first dance with me."

Rhoda looked at Wort and cocked her head. "I don't know the password for this," she said shyly.

Honey giggled and whispered in Rhoda's ear: "The password is 'Why thank you, Mister Wort Yogurt, the honor would be mine.' And you're supposed to curtsy while you say it."

Rhoda attempted to curtsy, and proved clumsy at it. "Why thank you, Mister Wort Yogurt? The honor would be mine," she said.

Honey giggled at Rhoda's misinterpretation of her sentence.

"Did I get it wrong?" said Rhoda, looking very anxious.

"No, no, that's close enough," said Honey, clapping a paw to her mouth.

"You should do something about that nitrous oxide leak," said Rhoda as Wort took her by the paw and they began to dance.

Honey went up to Vanilla. "You done good, sister."

Vanilla turned red. "Don't patronize me, I didn't do anything."

"Whose idea was this party?" said Honey, winking.

Vanilla shifted her weight from one foot to another.

"Go on, Silver," whispered Strawberry. Silver went up to Vanilla.

"Miss Vanilla Cake, as our hostess, it would be a great pleasure to dance the first dance with you."

Vanilla was taken aback. "You don't have to do this, Silver--you're Strawberry's boyfriend."

"Come on, the hostess deserves this. Besides, Strawberry doesn't mind--as long as we keep our distance."

Vanilla shuddered, but Strawberry gave her a thumb's up.

"All right, all right.... Thanks, Silver--I'll dance with you."

Silver proceeded to escort Vanilla into the center of the room and lead her in a dance. He was--surprisingly to Vanilla--very good at it.

No other major problems marred the party, which lasted for three hours.

--Phoenix

Last edited by ChewyChewy on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:43 pm
Game Master

the level of adorabobbleness in this update was fantaszillious! :D :D :D Oh, and I want to hug Miello. A lot. And tussle with him.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:32 pm
Profile WWW

valerio wrote:
the level of adorabobbleness in this update was fantaszillious! :D :D :D Oh, and I want to hug Miello. A lot. And tussle with him.

Making up your own words? I guess it was, then. Glad you liked it! :D

And it's "Mellio", but glad you like him too. :)

One more chapter to go!

--Phoenix

Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:00 pm

And the last chapter!

"Bye, guys!" said Honey, waving to her guests as they left, then closing the door.

"Whew!" she said, tying her headfur back in her comfortable ponytail. "Well, that was a successful party, I'd say. Thank you so much for suggesting it, Vanilla--and for letting me be in charge!"

Vanilla was sitting on the footstool.

"My feet are mad at me."

"I don't blame them--you did a LOT of dancing!"

"Not because I wanted to...."

"Aw, wasn't it even just a little bit fun? Even just for a moment?"

Vanilla absent-mindedly made a motion to pull her hood over her head, then remembered she wasn't wearing her jacket.

"Maybe a few times here and there...."

"Come on, Vanilla," said Honey, elbowing her sister and winking. "You know you danced with Wort more than with anyone else."

Vanilla folded her arms. "Only so he wouldn't keep dancing with Rhoda."

"Why do I not believe you?"

"Honey, please stop talking about it!"

Honey silenced herself.

"I'm sorry...."

Vanilla held back tears. "All this does is remind me that Wort is a great guy--he's considerate, he's strong, he's an excellent dancer.... He's a wonderful dog...who will never be mine."

Honey put a paw on Vanilla's shoulder. "You don't know that--and anyway, maybe a better one will come along."

Vanilla hung her head. "At least some good came out of all this."

"Yes, it did," said Honey, "but what specific good are you referring to?"

"Now it makes sense."

Honey's ears perked up. "Oh?"

"Yeah. Wort saw Rhoda as vulnerable--as frightened, and hurting--he felt the desire to shelter and protect her. That's why he fell for her even though he didn't know her that well. That and...you know...." She made a motion across her face which was the American Sign Language sign for "beautiful".

Honey put both paws on Vanilla's shoulders. "You are beautiful, Vanilla. You just need to loosen up more, relax, have fun, smile. Strawberry said that Silver told her that the most beautiful part of a girl is her smile--and every girl has a smile, so every girl can be beautiful."

Vanilla did not smile.

"There's the other thing I said too. I guess I've done a good job of scaring guys away by not being willing to make myself vulnerable. Guys like that kind of girl."

"Do you like that kind of boy?"

Vanilla began to tear up. "It'd be nice if...if just once, I...I didn't have to take care of myself--if someone would be there to--to comfort me...to tell me it's gonna be all right...."

She sniffled.

"Oh, you know what I mean--I'm not saying you don't do that!"

"I know what you mean, Vanilla. You mean a boy--someone big and strong, who can take you in his arms and make you feel relaxed, like there's nothing to worry about in the world. Someone with a deep, soothing voice. That kind of thing, right?"

Vanilla rolled her eyes. "You've been reading up on your biology too, huh?"

Honey giggled. "I'm a girl too, Vanilla, I like that kind of thing myself--and I'd love to meet someone who could be like that to me."

Vanilla sighed. "I just don't know...I'm scared of being scared--of being hurt. I just don't trust anyone...."

"Maybe you haven't met the right one yet--but it could happen."

Vanilla looked in Honey's eyes.

"What?"

"My feet are really hurting."

Honey smiled. "Do you want me to carry you to your bed?"

"Very much."

Honey picked Vanilla up, cradling her like a bridegroom carrying his bride over a threshold.

Honey heard a knock at her door and opened it.

"Hey, Vanilla, what's that you've got?"

Vanilla looked embarrassed. "Just...nothing."

"No, c'mon, let me see!"

"It's just stupid, is what it is. You can throw it in the trash when you're done looking at it."

"Don't oversell it, Vanilla, just let me see."

Honey took it from Vanilla. It was a few pages of writing.

"Who's Charles?"

"No one. I made him up."

Honey read a little. "So, Charles is a pointer, huh? Cute!"

Vanilla cringed. "No editorials, please."

Honey nodded and continued to read.

When she was finished, she said, "Why, Vanilla, this is a side of you I don't know! I thought you hated romance!"

"I do. What I wrote is stupid--it's pat, flat, trite. It sounds like a million trashy romance novels that already exist--except it's shorter."

"Then why did you write it?"

Vanilla shifted her weight from one foot to another. "I dunno...just trying to work out my feelings, I guess...."

"Oh?"

"You asked how I would feel if I could be sure there were no problems...."

"And this is how?" said Honey, grinning so much it looked like she was glowing.

"I don't know, Honey--I can't say for sure without it really happening! And it's a lot easier to write that than it is to experience it for real!"

Honey nodded. "Still...if you could be like this if a guy asked you out...I would be just so happy for you!"

Vanilla looked at her sister. "Really? You wouldn't worry about me?"

"Of course I care about you, Vanilla, but I would know you had nothing to worry about and I'd be happy for that being the case!"

Honey gave her sister a hug. Vanilla tensed up, but then relaxed.

"Ah-hah! There you are--there's your beautiful smile!" said Honey, smiling back.

The smile was only there for half a second before it was gone again, but it had indeed been there.

"Well, I got a story out of it anyway--or part of one."

"May I read it properly?"

Vanilla rolled her eyes. "I'm gonna want it back--and I don't want you reading it to me."

"Of course, of course! I just wanna enjoy this!"

Vanilla shrugged and left Honey's room, as Honey proceeded to read.

Charles Mange rang the doorbell of the Cake household.

"Hello!" said Honey, answering the door. "I'm Honey Cake, who are you?"

"Good day, Miss Cake, my name is Charles Mange," said Charles, bowing low. "May I please speak with your sister? I've primarily come to see her."

"Absolutely!" said Honey. "Vanilla! There's a boy here to see you!"

Vanilla came over, wearing her usual green hoodie. She became very nervous as she saw the handsome pointer who smiled and bowed to her.

"Enchanted and delighted to make your acquaintance, my dear Vanilla," said Charles.

"Uh...ditto," said Vanilla, feeling like a fool.

"I do beg your pardon, but I've seen you in your yard a few times, role-playing with your sister, and you simply strike me as the loveliest young lady I've ever met--and the cleverest! I knew I just had to get to know you better."

Vanilla shifted her weight from one leg to another.

"If you're not doing anything on Saturday, there's a Philip Glass concert in town I thought you might like to attend with me--as my date. Would you like that?"

Vanilla stared at Charles. "Me? You'd be seen in public with me?"

Charles laughed, but it was a gentle, kind laugh. "Charming and witty! All in one package, too! Delightful, delightful! So will you go out with me, as my date?"

Vanilla turned red, and looked away. "That sounds...wonderful. Um...I'm not doing anything Saturday...I have free time. And I love Philip Glass music. Yes, okay, I guess...I guess I will."

Charles clapped twice. "You have just made this dog very happy, my darling! 7 o'clock sharp! Dress nicely. And until then...."

He acted like a magician, producing a red carnation and presenting it to Vanilla.

"For the damsel," he said, giving her the flower.

"Uh...thanks."

"My pleasure, my lady."

Vanilla blushed.

Honey beamed with excitement as she proceeded to read the rest of the story Vanilla had written. It mattered not one whit to Honey that it was written badly, or that none of it was real.

--Phoenix

Last edited by ChewyChewy on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:07 pm
Game Master

daww that was so cute!

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:19 pm
Profile WWW

valerio wrote:
daww that was so cute!

Well, enjoy because that's the closest you're going to get in a long time to Vanilla being in a relationship.

But glad you liked it! Thanks for reading!

--Phoenix

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:51 pm
laughing maniacally

awesome as usual.

and I think I've finally settled on a good voice for Honey. Katara from Avatar. and Vanilla's still Raven.

RP character sheets

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:33 am
Profile YIM

Thanks! :D

And...I guess I could see that.... :)

--Phoenix

Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:56 am
laughing maniacally

Of course my judgement could be biased since I've been watching Avatar fir the last week or so.

RP character sheets

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:16 pm
Profile YIM

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Of course my judgement could be biased since I've been watching Avatar fir the last week or so.

I see. Well, there might be a better match for Honey but at least it's not outright wrong.

--Phoenix

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:21 pm
Former Mod of the Aura

That ending is absolutely amazing. Left me with a smile at least. The entire story was nice, and as per usual, I love Vanilla's character. I've gotta admit, I kinda thought Rhoda was absolutely insane at first, or in the least considered it before we were told she was Roleplaying xD

PF - Brill

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:09 pm
Profile WWW

44R0NM10 wrote:
That ending is absolutely amazing. Left me with a smile at least. The entire story was nice, and as per usual, I love Vanilla's character. I've gotta admit, I kinda thought Rhoda was absolutely insane at first, or in the least considered it before we were told she was Roleplaying xD

Thanks! :D So glad to hear that. I'm blessed in that even when I don't set out to put meaning into a story that I get an idea for, one seems to find its way in anyway!

Glad you like Vanilla's character too. :) She's partly based on myself--though there's some of Honey in me too.

Yeah, don't judge a book by its cover. ;) I kind of had her be sort of the opposite of having Asperger's Syndrome, which I have.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and I'm glad you liked it! :D

--Phoenix

Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:47 pm

That was a beautiful story ending well for everyone.

...Well, except for when Silver moved away in your Halloween fic.

I was thinking Honey should be voiced by Starfire's VA.

Unless you like Lilo & Stitch, kinda wish to see the experiments in housepets style

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:55 am
Profile WWW
laughing maniacally

we already discussed Hynden Walch, she didn't fit quite right.

RP character sheets

Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:27 pm
Profile YIM

kavviyenta wrote:
...Well, except for when Silver moved away in your Halloween fic

Wow, you remember more about my stories than I do. :shock: :D

But he didn't actually move away--just went away for a couple of weeks.

--Phoenix

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:22 pm

No one got the Snoopy! reference?

--Phoenix

Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:14 am