Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Seth
Moshpit Addict

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Seth »

Sleet wrote:
Seth wrote:
Sleet wrote:Hey, that's right before my graduation! So I'll have a new computer (my grandma buys her grandkits computers when they graduate from high school or, if they're going to get a higher degree, which I am, college) and some time to play it!
Well I'm glad you'll have something to break up the soul crushing monotony of the rat race :P

I've never played Diablo and always saw it as kind of a dungeon crawler (which I avoid like the plague)
You mean a career I enjoy studying a subject I find interesting?

Diablo isn't a dungeon crawler. It's the dungeon crawler.
Well that's why I've never played it :P I don't have the attention span for it.

My dad said that when he graduated, then he realized he hated his job and went back to school :lol:
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Nurematsu Zenpaw

Post by Nurematsu Zenpaw »

Been quite a while since I set foot in the forums!

My current video game interests are Portal 2 (which my brother gifted to me on Steam), Halo 3 ODST, and Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

So, I have been wanting to get some more PC games, anyone got some suggestions?
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Nurematsu Zenpaw

Post by Nurematsu Zenpaw »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:So, I have been wanting to get some more PC games, anyone got some suggestions?
The Orange Box! If you can get that on sale on Steam, it's a pretty good value for the Half-Life 2 series and Portal. Though it lost some value when Team Fortress 2 went free-to-play...

I prefer all these games on PC over their console counterparts merely for the fact that Valve regularly patches the PC versions. Not to mention that I much prefer to play them with a mouse and keyboard :P
The Grey Wolverine

Mouse and keyboard are great, but I mean BESIDES the essentials like Half Life 2 and Portal
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:Mouse and keyboard are great, but I mean BESIDES the essentials like Half Life 2 and Portal
Why not look up some free to play games?
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

How can you not like dungeon crawlers? Dungeon crawlers are my favorite!
Someone here guess where I got my name from.
The Grey Wolverine

Dubiousity wrote:
The Grey Wolverine wrote:Mouse and keyboard are great, but I mean BESIDES the essentials like Half Life 2 and Portal
well the free to play games I've tried really don't do anything for me, espically TF2, its not bad, but there is better. Plus, I like supporting game companies who make good games, I like free things but if its a good game, I want them to have my money. Except for EA, I hate those guys.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:
Dubiousity wrote:
well the free to play games I've tried really don't do anything for me, espically TF2, its not bad, but there is better. Plus, I like supporting game companies who make good games, I like free things but if its a good game, I want them to have my money. Except for EA, I hate those guys.
Didja try Rusty Hearts?
The Grey Wolverine

never heard of it
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:never heard of it
Look it up on steam, it's a Hack n' Slash/MMO, really fun.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:well the free to play games I've tried really don't do anything for me, espically TF2, its not bad, but there is better. Plus, I like supporting game companies who make good games, I like free things but if its a good game, I want them to have my money. Except for EA, I hate those guys.
That's actually the whole point of a free-to-play model. The game itself is free, so that anyone can play and enjoy it, but they add various little things (usually cosmetic changes) which you can purchase to enhance the game for yourself. And that's how you support the company so it can continue to make new and better content.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

The problem with free to play games is that they tend to be limited in content. Being so limited in content, the games also tend to be extremely repetitive and dull. To have the gamers play for a longer time, they usually make it so that you have to grind for long hours. Then there are those free to play games that allow the players to purchase in game items for real cash, sometimes enabling the players to have an unfair advantage. This makes it seem like paying cash for items is the only way to be competitive, which goes against the whole point of being a free to play game. I haven't played much free to play games recently, but from my experience this is how they all ended up being like. Maybe I'm just a bad gamer or something, but they were not very enjoyable.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

The TF2 and League of Legends communities would wholeheartedly disagree with you. There are other examples as well, but I've not played them myself, so I can't rightly judge those ones. Free-to-play is still a relatively new model for gaming, but it's becoming more and more prevalent, and honestly, I (and I'm not alone, I assure you) feel that it's a better overall model to go by.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I'm sorry that my opinion on Free to play games does not coincide with yours. I do not judge a game on the fact that it is free to play. Just because I did not like most of the free to play games I played doesn't mean that all f2p games are horrible. I have yet to play League of Legends which people urged me to play (I might try it later). For the most part, I believe F2p are low-content, repetitive rubbish.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Why are you apologizing for your opinion...? >.>

You said that the "problem" with F2P games is that they tend to be "limited" in content, and that's just flat-out not true. There are certainly still some kinks to work out of the system because, as I said, it's still a relatively new concept. You can have your opinion on whether certain games are good or not, but there's no inherent problem with a game being "free-to-play".

The way the system is intended to work is to have a complete package of a game (just like any other on the market) that is playable for free, and the way they make money is through people who wish to support the company through cosmetic additions. The ability to buy exclusive content that actually affects gameplay is one of the aforementioned "kinks" that still needs to be worked out (because it's just a really dumb idea), but the model itself is a very solid one that we'll undoubtedly be seeing more of in the future.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Cool yo. Totally off the hook mangz
Dubiousity wrote:
Wanderer wrote:I'm just waiting for spring break so I can actually relax without worrying about studying and play some videogames.
What do you plan on playing?
Nethack http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=140S4LkQ ... re=related
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Wanderer wrote:I'm sorry that my opinion on Free to play games does not coincide with yours. I do not judge a game on the fact that it is free to play. Just because I did not like most of the free to play games I played doesn't mean that all f2p games are horrible. I have yet to play League of Legends which people urged me to play (I might try it later). For the most part, I believe F2p are low-content, repetitive rubbish.
Tell me if you ever plan to play League of Legends.

Anyway, a lot of free games are actually pretty good. Ever played some flash games? They're incredible for short games. As well as that, there's a lot of free games that just cost if you want more, Runescape and Spiral Knights being good examples in my opinion.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Hey Wanderer, download this:

Mari0 - The Portal/Mario crossover
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

Ah, LoL...keep meaning give it a try...keep forgetting completely, but perhaps one day I shall remember it when I'm actually feeling up to going through the whole process involved with getting into a new game. That said, f2p games really are everywhere these days, and while a lot of them can be fun, I find that most of them aren't enjoyable unless you actually have friends to play them with. I've played and left a lot of f2p games because I was constantly playing them on my own or with people I didn't know and who in the end didn't want anything to do with me past that one stage or run or whatever. There have been a few I've left simply because I didn't enjoy the game itself, but usually it's been the lack of 'social' amusement that has seen my interest lost.
Jesse James

Post by Jesse James »

F2P games are addicting. >.>

I always get sucked into paying for extra content. lol
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Oh I meant online multiplayer f2p games. Regular flash games and other free games are fine!
Also f2p games have existed for quite some time now.
Eh... I'm not sure I have the time to invest in LoL yet

Mari0 looks fun to play!
Let me download that right now.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

So I just got my first Pentakill in League of Legends.

feelsgoodman.jpg
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

The problem with F2P games is they often turn into P2W. A lot of them anyway. If you have a Smartphone, about 60% of the games on it are F2P.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

League of legends haven't!

The only thing you have to pay real money for to get is skins, that only change appearance.

And even those you can get by winning tournaments and stoof! |D

And grats dubsieface, dat morde too hard. XP
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Foxstar wrote:The problem with F2P games is they often turn into P2W. A lot of them anyway. If you have a Smartphone, about 60% of the games on it are F2P.
I agree. As much as F2P sounds great, it's the P2W that ruins it. I know they NEED to get money from somewhere in order to keep the game alive, but that's why I prefer games that allow me to give a X money per month and everyone has the same chances (like oldstyle Ragnarok before all the cash itens came in). I think the only F2P that weren't P2W that i ever played was Maple Story. I was going to mentionm Grand chase as well, but I remembered how the "free" missions to get advanced classes were a complete PAIN.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Team Fortress 2 and League of Legends are the biggest examples I can think of pertaining to F2P games that do a great job of avoiding P2W-type items. As far as I'm concerned, the sooner all the other developers out there learn this, the better.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

angelusbr wrote:
Foxstar wrote:The problem with F2P games is they often turn into P2W. A lot of them anyway. If you have a Smartphone, about 60% of the games on it are F2P.
I agree. As much as F2P sounds great, it's the P2W that ruins it. I know they NEED to get money from somewhere in order to keep the game alive, but that's why I prefer games that allow me to give a X money per month and everyone has the same chances (like oldstyle Ragnarok before all the cash itens came in). I think the only F2P that weren't P2W that i ever played was Maple Story. I was going to mentionm Grand chase as well, but I remembered how the "free" missions to get advanced classes were a complete PAIN.
I think the reason you shouldn't mention Grand Chase is because the cash shop armors were always the strongest, not because you could buy easier Job Change/Character unlock missions.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Dubiousity wrote:
angelusbr wrote:
I think the reason you shouldn't mention Grand Chase is because the cash shop armors were always the strongest, not because you could buy easier Job Change/Character unlock missions.
I never really looked at the armors there. It's good to know I dropped that game a long time ago before seeing this.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

World of Warcraft worked pretty well even when money came into play. If you don't spend a cent beyond the subscription, the only things you can't get are purely cosmetic. I'm not sure how it is nowadays though. I know there's a Free to Play option but if you pay the subscription, can you get effectively everything still?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Yes, you can.
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
SirSlappy

Post by SirSlappy »

I tried WoW, but didn't really like it (probably because of all the people around). Found oblivion and skyrim much more fun.
[insert witty comment here]
You can PM me if you feel like it.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Sleet wrote:World of Warcraft worked pretty well even when money came into play. If you don't spend a cent beyond the subscription, the only things you can't get are purely cosmetic. I'm not sure how it is nowadays though. I know there's a Free to Play option but if you pay the subscription, can you get effectively everything still?
The free to play subscription is only until Level 20.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Tiggy wrote:Yes, you can.
Well that's cool.

World of Warcraft used to be awesome. It's very possible it's still awesome, though I don't play so I can't say for sure. I'm not a fan of how you can just instantly warp to dungeons, though. I like the huge world concept of the game. If you can do all sorts of adventuring without leaving a city, and are expected to, that's pretty lame.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I've begun playing WOW. It was neat, but I now have a lv 75 druid and I also begun making some other classes, but the final result was the same. Wow became repetive to me.
But yes. the "cash itens" wow offer are pure cosmetic like mounts (that gold dragon is kinda cool, so tempting... /drool), name the charcater or guild name and so on.
Currently I'm just re-plying for the 1000th time pokemon emerald (for some reason I never get tired of pokemon, but wow is repetitive? Wow, I'm a biased fanboy, huh? But I don't like the 5th gen, thou) and starcraft 2.
BTW, I'm anxious to the release of Hearts of the swarm (it seems like the only nerfed race will be Terran).
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

I does like the 5th Generation Pokemon, even my favorite is from the 5th Gen, and some of the best episodes are of it as well.

I have played WoW as well, and generally stuck with the Archer class (I always seem to, that or Mages) The game is alright, however it is just one of the Dozen MMOs I play, and really gets no prioritizing as such. Currently it is not on the list of games I am playing at the moment.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I like 5th generation too!

I played a mage primarily and a shaman and a druid secondarily. I always had something fun to do in WoW. It was (and possibly still is) a really well thought-out game.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I've never touched World of Warcraft and don't even plan to.
exranio

Post by exranio »

His avatar only adds to how serious that statement sounds.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Therolyn

Post by Therolyn »

Personally I always found something lacking in World Of Warcraft. While I do have an account and play occasionally, I really find it hard to enjoy it these days. Also most of the folks I knew who played it moved on to other games, mainly Aion.

The 5th generation pokemon were decent, sadly as per usual my favorite pokemon of the generation is particularly hard tfor me to get hold of...
Werebilby For the Period of Easter - Please fellow Australians do not forget our little guy, the bilby