Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Rollofthedice

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Rollofthedice »

44R0NM10 wrote:so, is anybody else gonna get 'Star Wars: The old republic'? Personally, I'm really looking forward to it. :mrgreen:
It certainly sounds interesting, though I'm a bit wary of MMO's in general. It's Bioware, though, so it'll probably be good.

My higher priorities are Batman: Arkham City and Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, personally.
Reminiscence: A Tale of Dreams - Complete
An Experiment - Ongoing: Story 2, 'The Babylon Incident', in progress!
Tired/Eternity/Broadsides: 'I did not have literary relations with those fanfics'

Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

I don't think so, no.

I've had my fair shares of mmorpgs. :3
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

the games I'm looking forward to are: Assassin’s Creed: Revalations, Batman: Arkham City, Mass Effect 3, Neverdead (because it's an interesting concept), and Spiderman: Edge of time (because it's spiderman).
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

Oh yeah, I forgot about Revelations. It's gonna be so awesome
Tired/Eternity/Broadsides: 'I did not have literary relations with those fanfics'

44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Revelations is on my list of games to get as well. I've loved all the other ones, even if I've not quite completed Brotherhood yet, hehe. :P
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

Tobee wrote:I don't think so, no.

Still having my fair share! SW:ToR looks like...it has the chance to be good if they do it properly. Since it's Bioware, they probably will.
44R0NM10 wrote:Revelations is on my list of games to get as well. I've loved all the other ones, even if I've not quite completed Brotherhood yet, hehe. :P
Oh man I had so much fun playing Brotherhood. It was ridiculous.
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

Daggy wrote:Oh man I had so much fun playing Brotherhood. It was ridiculous.
It's gotten to where I can't even look at the previous AC games, because Brotherhood is just so good it feels like a step back.

44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

hehe, I kidna enjoy Assassins Creed 2 more at the moment. I'm not sure why. Probably not having to spend money every 5 minutes to make a store. :P

Other then that, the game is excellent. I love the animation during fights so much.
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

I like Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, even though I only played it once. I beat AC2 though, and thought it was awesome.

The game I'm really looking forward to (even though it's a year away) is Bioshock Infinite.
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

Cwitt wrote:The game I'm really looking forward to (even though it's a year away) is Bioshock Infinite.
That game looks fantastic. I haven't even really played the first two (watched a friend play, but not myself) but it just really looks like it'll be a fantastic game.
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

Daggy wrote:
Cwitt wrote:The game I'm really looking forward to (even though it's a year away) is Bioshock Infinite.
That game looks fantastic. I haven't even really played the first two (watched a friend play, but not myself) but it just really looks like it'll be a fantastic game.
Yeah, it's gonna be so amazing.

Though, you really should by Bioshock, Daggy. Bioshock two is... okay, but quite unnecessary.

Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

I like Bioshock 2 because you can hold a gun and a plasmid at the same time.
Bioshock Infinite looks like it will have amazing graphics. I watched a video thinking it was a cinematic. It was the game play.
Russiarules1
Location: By Strawberry Fields, on a flying Yellow Submarine, eating muffins.

Post by Russiarules1 »

Am I the only one who can't login to PSN?

Trolololololo! Nothing of this happened.
Last edited by Russiarules1 on Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doing dumb things is what makes us normal humans.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

Today's World Domination Is Provided By: Ponies
OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I just bought Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg for 10 dollars. Anyone ever played this game before? It's pretty nuts.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Sleet wrote:I just bought Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg for 10 dollars. Anyone ever played this game before? It's pretty nuts.
I played a only a bit, It is weird!
Make Pasta not war.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I rented it years ago and had fond memories of playing its weirdness. But now I actually want to beat it! I heard it gets pretty creepy, which is always awesome. And I have to say I love the cartoony platformer feel. It makes me really happy.

Plus I remember spamming the disgustingly-cutesy "Chant This Charm" on the Phantasy Star Online: Episode III lobby jukeboxes and annoying everyone with it. :lol:
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Daggy wrote:
Tobee wrote:I don't think so, no.

Still having my fair share! SW:ToR looks like...it has the chance to be good if they do it properly. Since it's Bioware, they probably will.
I'm more of a MOBA guy now, after playing WoW since I was 11. xD (18 in a few days. :V)
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

44R0NM10 wrote:so, is anybody else gonna get 'Star Wars: The old republic'? Personally, I'm really looking forward to it. :mrgreen:
FFXI was my second and last MMORPG. Save for weekends, I don't have the time anymore for such a massive time sink as MMO's.
Kuro

Post by Kuro »

Ooooh, I loved FFXI. I'd go back to that MMO again, but I dislike how they have changed things from the way it first started out.

I wish XIV wasn't a flop, but I hear they're fixing it. I want to play it regardless, considering it's free to play.
<signature>
</signature>
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

I don't think I ever played any of the FF games..

Am I a bad person now?D:
ManaWolf

Post by ManaWolf »

Sleet wrote:
I just bought Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg for 10 dollars. Anyone ever played this game before? It's pretty nuts
So I'm not the only one who was thinking of getting the game. I've already played the game before and owned a copy of it, but I lost it :( . When I did own the game on the other hand though I barely got to play because my two brothers played it all the time. They never beat it, they said the game started to get really hard near the end. (even though they weren't even near the end) When they got bored at the game, It was my turn to give a wing a it. I beat it in two days, chant this charm was definitely the right song to put into such a happy game like this. This is the same story for a lot of gamecube games I've beaten. Recent ones have been Mario Party 4 and Wario World.

I have the sound track on my computer. If anyone want it ask me and i'll post it on my FA account
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Hey, guys. Planetside 2 countdown!

www.planetside2.com

:D :D :D

It is a MMOFPS that was awesome in it's original release, but fell behind. hopefully they can pull it off again.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Tobee wrote:I don't think I ever played any of the FF games..

Am I a bad person now?D:
Not really, but you're missing out. They're really good if you like RPGs.
ManaWolf wrote:
Sleet wrote:
I just bought Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg for 10 dollars. Anyone ever played this game before? It's pretty nuts
So I'm not the only one who was thinking of getting the game. I've already played the game before and owned a copy of it, but I lost it :( . When I did own the game on the other hand though I barely got to play because my two brothers played it all the time. They never beat it, they said the game started to get really hard near the end. (even though they weren't even near the end) When they got bored at the game, It was my turn to give a wing a it. I beat it in two days, chant this charm was definitely the right song to put into such a happy game like this. This is the same story for a lot of gamecube games I've beaten. Recent ones have been Mario Party 4 and Wario World.

I have the sound track on my computer. If anyone want it ask me and i'll post it on my FA account
Now that I'm older I feel a lot more comfortable playing disgustingly cutesy games. Funny how that works.
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

GameCobra wrote:Hey, guys. Planetside 2 countdown!

http://www.planetside2.com

:D :D :D

It is a MMOFPS that was awesome in it's original release, but fell behind. hopefully they can pull it off again.
If SOE (Sony Online Entertainment) is running it I doubt it will end well. I liked the idea and tried a demo of the original PS, but couldn't get into it. Can't say I like SOE after they killed Star Wars Galaxies in one patch.

The only MMO I'm looking forward to is Guild Wars 2. Hooray for no monthly fees!
* My Steam Account * My DA (writing) *
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

zeekgenateer wrote:If SOE (Sony Online Entertainment) is running it I doubt it will end well. I liked the idea and tried a demo of the original PS, but couldn't get into it. Can't say I like SOE after they killed Star Wars Galaxies in one patch.
No doubt that's what will hurt Planetside 2. the fact that SOE is in charge.

But i'm hoping that things this time will be vastly different. i even heard it'll be free in some way. Hopefully the launch will bring out the interest in MMOFPS games again. honestly, i never played a better MMOFPS than planetside. It had everything a FPS in my mind that was perfect. Even repetition in the game was fun and exciting. felt like a REAL war.

and if Planetside 2 fails to deliver, that means i'll be sticking my hopes on Blizzard in the future.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

I prefer the original Final Fantasies, from I to XIII.
KalloonWhite

Post by KalloonWhite »

I'm looking forward to:

Record of Agarest War Zero

Atelier Totori

Disgaea 4

Tales of Graces F

Rune Factory Tides of Destiny

Devil Survivor 2
marmalade & sugar song, peanuts & bitter step, It's sweet and bitter and leaves me feeling faint
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Tha Housefox wrote:I prefer the original Final Fantasies, from I to XIII.
Minus XI.

I'm also a huge fan of Tactics Advance and Tactics A2! Crystal Chronicles was pretty fun too, but it was hard to play right with other friends.
zeldakeeper

Post by zeldakeeper »

>//u//< WRIGHT VS LAYTON -rolls on floor screaming- I nearly vomited I was screaming so loud when I saw the trailer XDDDD
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

zeldakeeper wrote:>//u//< WRIGHT VS LAYTON -rolls on floor screaming- I nearly vomited I was screaming so loud when I saw the trailer XDDDD
Ultimate fangirl-ism?
zeldakeeper

Post by zeldakeeper »

>//u//< I shall take as a compliment -giggles-
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Hehe, I don't know whether its a bad or good thing.

I don't know what other games that I want other than DotA 2(not out.) and Alice: Madness Returns.

The alice game looks really, really awesome. As for DotA2, I can't say. No ingame media out yet. xD
shadowhaz

Post by shadowhaz »

I cant wait for layton VS wright :D the trailer was so cool
I love FF VII, X ,and XII cuz those are the only ones ive played
it takes an idiot to do cool things that's why they're cool
soothing no?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You really should try VI. It was super fabulous.
zeldakeeper

Post by zeldakeeper »

American Mcgee's Alice? It's fantastic! -laughs- It's great knowing that you have an AMAZING taste in gaming. However...Madness returns will be boring if you haven't played the first.
shadowhaz

Post by shadowhaz »

Sleet wrote:You really should try VI. It was super fabulous.
Ill take your word for it X3
it takes an idiot to do cool things that's why they're cool
soothing no?
exranio

Post by exranio »

IX. Zidane, Freya, Vivi
All the argument I need.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

The trailer is out!

goooooooo!

www.planetside2.com

And this will be the last time i bug you guys <3
exranio

Post by exranio »

It reminded me of Halo one. Nothing else to note.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

exranio wrote:It reminded me of Halo one. Nothing else to note.
Unlike Halo, Planetside doesn't have crazy regeneration, over-the-top shield technology and is heavy on vehicles in addition to regular player control. It's like Battlefield 2142 rather than Halo, but retains a Haloish feeling with laser guns and designated armor colors. However, you won't be playing this game fearing the dreaded "Master Chief" feeling you would come to expect in Halo, and this feeling retains very well when there are three armies that fight under three different colors such as Red, Blue and Purple. This game also at the time Planetside 1 was released boasted the craziest amount of players on screen at once with over 1000 players at a time. I was around when the demo was around, and i remember seeing over 500 players on screen attacking a base at once! this game gets very chaotic, and that's the biggest gem of the game i find. Allow me to elaborate more though:

The game allows you to highly customize your character as well. Considering it's a MMOFPS, you can level up, but leveling in this game doesn't make you stronger: It gives you licenses. The more licenses you get, the more things you can pilot and equip. Upon spawning also, you also start out with your standard assault rifle, pistol and light armor. Until you actually get to your locker and choose what type of armor/weapons you want (which can be saved in your locker's settings so you don't have to root through your locker everytime), every player regardless of certifications starts out with the default and cheap armor and weapons until you reach your locker. This makes the gameplay more realistic in my opinion by having your player everytime you respawn wake up with the normal battle armor and requires you to physically walk over to your locker in order to pick up your equipment everytime you respawn. Can't tell you how many times i enjoyed that feeling since if a base is under attack, it's a mad scramble for your locker if the enemy happens to be spawn camping you guys. And Spawn Camping? It's actually fun in this game, even if you are the one being spawn camped. Every spawn room in a base has defenses, but if the team attacking the base is well prepared they can destroy the spawn room fast before the team spawning has a chance to retaliate. If they spawned? It makes it hard for the Spawn room to be destroyed at this point, but that's where the game's strategy comes in. However, If the Spawn room is destroyed, then your team is forced to spawn elsewhere outside the base.

As for Shields, every vehicle has a minor shield that serves the purpose of protecting you from collission in the game until it takes a bit of damage from a actual player. Shields can also be equipped on your player, but only via implants at home or in a medical base after leveling up a bit. Although the shield protects you for 100 health, it comes at the cost of stamina and will essentially make you a walking turtle for a few seconds until you get some rest, so it's not abusable.

The story of the game is very generic, but gives us the reason for the war in the first place. The game is a futuristic war between three armies fighting on a planet named Auraxis. Everyone is fighting for a technology that belongs to a race named the Vanu. It's discovered while the Vanu no longer exists,this technology is the first step in man in humanity towards immortality. Upon dying, a person can be rebirthed again in spawn tubes.

However. Earth's main forces, the Terran Republic (who have held Earth's forces together for over 1,112 years thanks to strict laws) lost contact with their forces when they went through a wormhole leading to this technology. It took them 200 years to get the Wormhole open again and get in contact with the team again... only to find out something horrible. The army that they lost contact with split into their own faction known as the Vanu Sovernity. They have been researching the Vanu technology deeply and have since then come to the point of creating their own force made entirely of their own weaponry. Not liking how the Vanu were being driven by the Vanu technology, the Terrans attempted to stop the Vanu before their research got out of hand. However, before they could stop them, the Wormhole leading back to Earth closed, cutting them off from their main forces. with having no choice but to rely on the recently discovered rebirthing technology and what they brough with them from earth. the New Conglomerate, a special faction inside the Terran Republic composed of anarchists, liberals, and libertarians, suddenly decided that this was the time to step in and start doing something about the Terran Republic. Not liking how the Terrans ruled Earth for the past 1000 years with a Iron fist approach, decided that this was a time like none other to overthrow the Terrans and return to Earth and get rid of this militaristic power rule once and for all.

It ultimately becomes a endless war between these three armies to take control of the planet. With rebirthing technology in all of their hands, the amount of troops they have is endless. Who will be the victor? Whose side do you prefer?

Of course, there's more to these factions than story and pretty faces. they are ALL human, but have different styles of weaponry and technology.

The Terran Republic - The Red Army. The most basic of the armies. Their gameplay style follows the lines of barraging tactics. Their vehicles have more guns and their troops can shoot more bullets (Mini-gun troops? Yup. they exist). If you favor spraying bullets everywhere, the Terran Republic is for you.

New Conglomerate - The Blue Army. The other side of the Terran Republic's army. Since they came in around the same time as the Terrans came, they have alot of similarities in their vehicles. But one thing they did that sets them up differently from the Terrans is their way of fighting: They go for the pure raw power of their single shot guns as opposed to the firing rate. If you favor weapons that hit hard, the New Conglomerate is for you.

Vanu Sovereignty - The Purple army. Unlike the other two, these guys fight with not pure power, but instead with flexibility and clever technology. They don't have anything powerful that sets them apart from the other two, but they do have energy weapons. Energy Weapons use energy ammo, which saves space and hassle of figuring out whether you want to go anti-armor or anti-infantry. They also have hover tanks that can drive across water and jetpacked troops. If you favor flexibility and above standard technology, the Vanu Sovereignty is your kind of faction.

And I think that's my rant for the day @_@ but yeah, i really think this is a game that's drastically missed out on. The only bad thing about the game is SOE is in charge of it, who always had a bad history of managing games like this, but if they are rebirthing this game again i like to be optimistic and hope they do it right this time and i implore anyone else to look into it as well.