Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

snappyfox

Re: Housepets! Animated! Central Development Thread

Post by snappyfox »

have you found the voices for the kangaroos if not tell me where to apply
Foxes unite!!!!!!
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

The only thing I know we need is more help with the animation process, but that would require me to teach you how to do my style which can be a bit complicated over the internet. It'd basically just be either inking or coloring, but even then we'd have to send the pose sheets back and forth. So in that regard I'm not sure how illustration or graphic design would help, it'd probably be more convenient if I did it on my own. But again, it could take a lot of weight off of me and may be faster. It's a matter of quality or quantity.
:)
As for voices, we'll only be doing casting for voice actors before the character appears, and the Kangaroos only appear in what I assume would be episode 7 (arc 9). You'll have to stick around for a while if you want to be there when the Kangaroos are casted. ;)
ImageImageImageImage
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:
As for voices, we'll only be doing casting for voice actors before the character appears, and the Kangaroos only appear in what I assume would be episode 7 (arc 9). You'll have to stick around for a while if you want to be there when the Kangaroos are casted. ;)
good thing i've started checking this thread regularly
Foxes unite!!!!!!
AmberTheWolfKit

Post by AmberTheWolfKit »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:The only thing I know we need is more help with the animation process, but that would require me to teach you how to do my style which can be a bit complicated over the internet. It'd basically just be either inking or coloring, but even then we'd have to send the pose sheets back and forth. So in that regard I'm not sure how illustration or graphic design would help, it'd probably be more convenient if I did it on my own. But again, it could take a lot of weight off of me and may be faster. It's a matter of quality or quantity.
:)
Yeah, I think I'll just serve as moral support right now! :lol:

What animation software do you guys use/intend to use?
I have no idea what I'm doing here.

But hey, I'll roll with it.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I use the Toon Boom Animate Pro software, however it's now apparently called Toon Boom Harmony (I'm still using an older version and haven't upgraded for money reasons). However, I've heard that the program used to animate the studio ghibli movies is about to become free to use on March 26 so I'd like to try that out while I'm animating the show. Maybe I'll switch to that at some point :) And then anyone can learn how to animate the show.
ImageImageImageImage
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

I'm good at tracing, having used the technique to digitize all of the art I've first drawn on paper. For example, I drew out my avatar (and the strip from which I pulled it) on paper before scanning it and using Adobe Illustrator to trace it, clean it up, and color it.
It's difficult to wear gloves with webbed fingers...

When talking about a character, I often speak in D&D terms.

I'm participating in a forum game! You can find it here:
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

That's usually how inking goes, it's just tracing something ya drew, which is actually very useful for this shows animation style. At some point, I'll have to send you a few sketches and give you a few pointers on the line thickness and such. The current way I do it is via drawing tablet and keeping the line thickness at 3 (size may vary per drawing program). That way it's easy to color using the bucket/layer method.

Give me a little while, I have to decide on which poses to test you on. :)
ImageImageImageImage
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

Our methods may differ slightly. I use a mouse (because I don't yet have a tablet; believe me I would use one if I could) and I generally color the shapes themselves in Illustrator. I then copy/paste into Photoshop to save it as a PNG or other image file.

I can try different techniques if you prefer; I can't make any promises about the first few attempts, but it shouldn't take me long to get the hang of it. I won't send back anything I don't think is up to standard.

Also, I'll be off the grid for most of tomorrow; I'm traveling.

AmberTheWolfKit

Post by AmberTheWolfKit »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:I use the Toon Boom Animate Pro software, however it's now apparently called Toon Boom Harmony (I'm still using an older version and haven't upgraded for money reasons). However, I've heard that the program used to animate the studio ghibli movies is about to become free to use on March 26 so I'd like to try that out while I'm animating the show. Maybe I'll switch to that at some point :) And then anyone can learn how to animate the show.
I was actually going to suggest Toonz: Ghibli Edition if you didn't have a software already! :lol:

I know I'm downloading it tomorrow to try it out~
I have no idea what I'm doing here.

But hey, I'll roll with it.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Due to recent occurrences, I'm in a bit of a low mood, so my work flow may be a tad bit affected by that. Just wanted to tell yall in case I end up taking way longer on the Teaser and Episode 1 than I should be.
ImageImageImageImage
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

If you want to talk about it, just shoot me a PM. Sometimes you just need someone to listen.

CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Aeeey I'm back let's do this. :D
ImageImageImageImage
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

yay :D
Foxes unite!!!!!!
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Aaaaand just like that, I have to wait again. My laptop's charger died so now I have to wait for a new one to come. If that doesn't work then it means the laptop's energy intake itself doesn't work and I have to wait till May to POSSIBLY get a new Laptop.

MAN I need to get my own place so I can get a PC...
Also a job....
To pay for said PC :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Or the battery itself needs to be replaced. Still, all of those options are costly, though new charger is probably the cheapest. It's hard to find a good replacement battery, unfortunately. My previous one lasted around four years of constant use, current one is starting to wane at two years of the same use. I'm sure most of it is my fault, though, as I let it charge overnight when it's near dead and often forget to unplug it when I wake up for work.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

D-Rock wrote:Or the battery itself needs to be replaced. Still, all of those options are costly, though new charger is probably the cheapest. It's hard to find a good replacement battery, unfortunately. My previous one lasted around four years of constant use, current one is starting to wane at two years of the same use. I'm sure most of it is my fault, though, as I let it charge overnight when it's near dead and often forget to unplug it when I wake up for work.
Well, six months for both new laptops.
(One (TOSHIBA) won't turn on, makes noise in the CD/DVD drive and the other (new ASUS) won't boot into the OS, always sending to the boot configuration)

And the old ASUS Eee is six years old and only now has problems (15% of battery is missing, it turns off at 15%)

Though, I still have my four years old AiO with HDD problems (I have done the backup two months ago)
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Well see the weird thing is I've made sure to keep my latest laptop safe in terms of taking out the charger, so I have to assume it's just the charger. If not then the laptop is actually just really weak internally, but good at getting things done. The laptop I'm currently using (which is my previous laptop) has serious overheating problems and I'm pretty sure that's because it's A:3 years old, and B:Wasn't strong enough to use all the stuff I have on it. I mean seriously it overheats even when I just watch a video for a few minutes.
Though I have made a setup where it isn't completely unbearable and can last watching a stream so it may be able to draw some stuff. Only problem is I don't have any of my animation stuff or other drawings for said animations so really I can't do anything anyway. :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

If it turns out to be the battery, This list might help.
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

if it was the battery the laptop would still work if plugged in its how I use the laptop at my place because it is dead
Foxes unite!!!!!!
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

Yeah, my laptop battery died and needed replaced once. The computer still recognized the power pack.

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Hey, all!
How about we take discussion of batteries and laptop issues to the "Not the Comic" subforum. ;)
Thanks! :D
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Alright guys, I'm back in business! And thanks to Retto, the teaser is only a few hundred frames from being done. He is now helping me in inking and coloring the character sheets. :D

Now on the topic on the animation, I just now realized that I don't know what I'm gonna do with it past the animation portion :? My initial thought was to have it just be the animation with sound effects and slight musical accompaniment (something I should probably ask for Kitsune's help with), but then I thought about how other teasers where made, for example; the Zootopia one. Which sprung the idea to have a narration explaining Babylon Gardens, perhaps in the form of a commercial.
Any preference or ideas on that matter? I mean it will make more sense when you actually see the animation but might as well brainstorm before it's done right?
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Teasers are good at getting the idea of the world set for newcomers. A lot of people will probably take everything thrown at them, but I did come across an animation that DESPERATELY needed backstory, so I'd say a very brief explanation of how the world works would be a good first submission, considering that non-Housepets readers may come across an episode
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

D-Rock wrote:Teasers are good at getting the idea of the world set for newcomers.
I agree
Foxes unite!!!!!!
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:Now on the topic on the animation, I just now realized that I don't know what I'm gonna do with it past the animation portion :? My initial thought was to have it just be the animation with sound effects and slight musical accompaniment (something I should probably ask for Kitsune's help with), but then I thought about how other teasers where made, for example; the Zootopia one. Which sprung the idea to have a narration explaining Babylon Gardens, perhaps in the form of a commercial.
Any preference or ideas on that matter? I mean it will make more sense when you actually see the animation but might as well brainstorm before it's done right?
I like that trailer, especially the way the narrator reacts to what's onscreen. "They do not go to work nude... *clothes appear* thank you. Almost... *zips fly* ...that's got it."

That can definitely be used for inspiration. Perhaps one of the characters could narrate; I was thinking maybe one of the Celestial Nerds, since they exist outside of the comic's main universe.

tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

Well, who will write the teaser script?
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

if there is gonna be a narrator in the trailer it should be great kitsune in my opinion
Foxes unite!!!!!!
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

A role for which I will definitely audition when it becomes available. Since none of the Celestials ever appear with Bino (except when Pete is first released, if I'm not mistaken), I wouldn't be acting for two in any particular arc.

GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Voicing characters on one set i find can be fun. I always wonder how Steve blum does it. However, I find i can maintain at least three vocal settings with my voice. Bino and Max would be interesting. :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

GameCobra wrote:Voicing characters on one set i find can be fun.
What do you mean? Multiple characters in one place?

GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Like having Grape and Peanut voiced by the same person on-screen at once :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Who to narrate it will really depend on the context of how the teaser is formatted. Obviously Peanut and Grape can't be narrating because they're in it, so the most significant figures that would be best to narrate something like that would be the celestials. The only problem with that of all the celestials, only Pete will show up in season 1. Dragon and Kitsune don't show up till late season 2 (I think). it probably isn't a good idea to cast any characters that won't show up for a long time, as something could happen in between. Also, it may make more sense to have a character that actually shows up in season 1 be the narrator. There's also the option of just making it a random narrator for the purpose of the teaser.

By the way, keep in mind that this trailer is only about a minute long at this point (little sad that it took me this long to make it but eh, that's animation for you). I wasn't kidding when I said it was just a teaser/announcement. If there's a narration, we've gotta figure out how to give the basis of the whole "pets" thing and/or the relation of cats and dogs in that span of time.
GameCobra wrote:Like having Grape and Peanut voiced by the same person on-screen at once :3
Yeah, I've had to do that before. It was difficult, weird, and very fun at the same time :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

It should be explained that this world is almost exactly like our own... except that all animals (minus fish and possibly cows) are sentient and that all animals except ungulates, fish, birds, and possibly reptiles (just going by the zoo strip where Karishad is seen attaching jumper cables to an alligator) are anthropomorphic. Pets are also behaviorally more like fuzzy children than animals.

CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

So basically land based mammals and marsupials are bipedal, and everything else is quadrupedal. Then again, otters. So would it be "if it's got fur and paws, it can walk"? But that probably also isn't entirely true for some animals. What's the best way to describe this in a simple and understandable manner?
ImageImageImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:What's the best way to describe this in a simple and understandable manner?
"This is Housepets!, just role with it."
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

...Alright that technically is the best answer to my question so let me rephrase that: What's the best way to describe this in a simple and understandable manner to NEW audiences? The ones that don't know what a Housepets! is. :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:...Alright that technically is the best answer to my question so let me rephrase that: What's the best way to describe this in a simple and understandable manner to NEW audiences? The ones that don't know what a Housepets! is. :lol:
I repeat again, "This is Housepets!, just roll with it." :lol:
All I mean is, we don't exactly need a explanation for what animals walk and what ones don't, Disney never needed to explain that, :P
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

The sad part is, what Star suggested is still applicable for new audiences.
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

NARRATOR: Welcome to the world of Housepets! *title appears* It's pretty much like our world, but with a few key differences.

*title disappears as a red ball is thrown into the shot; Peanut jumps on it from out of frame a second later*

NARRATOR: Most of the animals here walk and talk like us.

PEANUT: *looks at the camera* *beat* Oh, HI! *stands up and waves*

NARRATOR: Though nobody's sure about cows.

*camera pans a little to the right, keeping Peanut in frame (as he gains a slightly confused look, glancing over to...) and revealing a cow just staring and chewing cud*

NARRATOR: They're either indifferent or oblivious.

*camera pans back to the left, hiding the cow and centering on Peanut*

----

It's only the beginning, but it's a start. Feel free to pick it apart (I'm kind of iffy about the cow part, myself; it's amusing, but probably wholly unnecessary).

CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Technically they did, in the beginning, they said that Zootopia was filled with "Mammals". That immediately told you what animals where anthropomorphic. However, you DO have a point actually. It's never directly explained what animals walk and talk, the reader ends up learning throughout reading the series (which is very good writing might I add). So technically we can just describe the pets themselves in that they walk and talk, and have the viewers learn about the world as it goes on or just assume things!
Retto-the-Otter wrote:NARRATOR: Welcome to the world of Housepets! *title appears* It's pretty much like our world, but with a few key differences.

*title disappears as a red ball is thrown into the shot; Peanut jumps on it from out of frame a second later*

NARRATOR: Most of the animals here walk and talk like us.

PEANUT: *looks at the camera* *beat* Oh, HI! *stands up and waves*

NARRATOR: Though nobody's sure about cows.

*camera pans a little to the right, keeping Peanut in frame (as he gains a slightly confused look, glancing over to...) and revealing a cow just staring and chewing cud*

NARRATOR: They're either indifferent or oblivious.

*camera pans back to the left, hiding the cow and centering on Peanut*

----

It's only the beginning, but it's a start. Feel free to pick it apart (I'm kind of iffy about the cow part, myself; it's amusing, but probably wholly unnecessary).
Well, the only problem with that is the animation is almost completely done :lol: . I could always add stuff if necessary, but for now we should wait till me and you finish up the planned animation and then decide how to write the script and if anything should be added or taken away. Though I do find it funny from a viewers perspective to just specifically call out cows of all the animals :lol:
ImageImageImageImage