2019/03/29 - You Have The Floor

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: 2019/03/29 - You Have The Floor

Post by Sleet »

I like to think Tarot's bubbliness was Dragon's influence, though part of it could just be Rick evolving her as a character. By being a bit more of a grump, she makes a better foil to Peanut, after all.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Macsen wrote:There were definitely points when Dragon was directly controlling Tarot. You could tell when that happened when her eyes turned green.
True, I just think there was more than just "Dragon controlled Tarot and everything was just Dragon."
Yes the moment when Tarot's eyes turned green that was Dragon or (in some instances) Tarot using Dragon's powers.
Like I said, I think there was a bit more to it :D
Sleet wrote:I like to think Tarot's bubbliness was Dragon's influence, though part of it could just be Rick evolving her as a character. By being a bit more of a grump, she makes a better foil to Peanut, after all.
I like the foil idea :D
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

GameCobra wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:Well, Tarot is one of these hyper-rational, controlling, buttoned-up sorts but, hey, we're closing with cuddling so all's well.

Is the spa permanent now or are they gonna have to tow that hulk?
Rick could just time skip it at this point and I wouldn't complain. =3

Would be hilarious to find out in a future arc they never got rid of it.
Now that this is finally over i hope we get a strip of someone finally taking the spa away. It would be so funny if Peanut and the gang were still in it. They just step outside and realize they arent in Babylon Gardens anymore. Keene has it returned while they were inside. :roll:
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Tarot initially came across to me as a religious dog who knew everything that was going to happen through the power of... Dragon. x3

That meant whatever Dragon told her at that time, I would assume Tarot's personality was molded by Dragon and she went with Peanut because, as I could picture Dragon saying to her: You are going to love, marry and start a family with him. It'll be so adorable it'll be like I ship you two! If I didn't love Peanut, too.
Macsen wrote:Tarot? Blushing?!

Has Tarot ever blushed like that before?

Still, what did this arc even do?

...besides showing Peanut getting a little friendly with Tarot, which I just now noticed and is probably why she's blushing. >.>

It's becoming clear Peanut and Tarot are nowhere near that "friendly" with each other as often as Grape and Maxwell have demonstrably been throughout the course of their relationship.
First time I'm seeing her blush as well!

As for what the arc actually did - I thought it was going to be something bigger myself, but Maxwell now knows Peanut and Grape are mushy lovers as well and Tarot learned to be more open with Peanut. Things are not so restricted by the four of them now.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Argent

Post by Argent »

Reading back, can you imagine if Peanut HAD ended up as one of the avatars? THERE WOULD BE SO MUCH PAPERWORK.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Argent wrote:Reading back, can you imagine if Peanut HAD ended up as one of the avatars? THERE WOULD BE SO MUCH PAPERWORK.
Would be interesting though.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Well, Tarot, you should already well know how's Peanut... :P You want that? Just ask him every time (maybe till when he'll learn to do it by his own, hopefully)! ;) And also, now you started to show your romantic side, Tarot, just relax and continue with it next times. :) Actually, Tarot is a bit weird. :D You have a point with that, Peanut. ;) Oh, Great Kitsune, you're being a bit too much intrusive between couples... It's not being that time. :P
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:
SeanWolf wrote:Tarot's line of 'It seems weird' in response to Peanut is interesting to me. I wonder if Tarot prefers normality over the weirdness of the world...
No, it means it's just weird to her to be so romantic or maybe showing affection so openly.
I guess she realised how weird she actually was with Dragon's powers and what she is dealing with.
Most Pets do have the minds of teenagers as far as I saw. Not all of them, but most and Tarot is one of them.
Douglas Collier wrote:I find it interesting how Tarot started out weird and bubbly; my guess is that Dragon was manipulating (if not controlling) her at the time, since there was such a major personality shift later on.
I wouldn't say that Dragon controlled her, but we shouldn't forget that Dragon granted Tarot some mind reader powers and I think that helped Tarot to connect with other people. Sadly it had the downside that Tarot never had the chance to learn how to connect emotionally with others in a normal way. At least that is my theory. Honestly I don't want to know for how long Tarot had to be Dragon's Avatar, it could had been for a short time, it could had been several years.
There is also the possibility of Tarot being choosen as Dragon's Avatar, since she was a small pup.
So I would say being cut off from Dragon after all these years and still dealing with the aftereffects left a mark on Tarot.
Kitsune told her once she is Tarot and no one else, so question Tarot has to deal is, who she is.
That is something a lot can relate to (at least I can). You know trying to find out, who you are and what you're capable off.
This aspect of Tarot may not be emphasized, but I think it makes Tarot to one of the most relateable characters in Housepets.
Honestly, Tarot needs her background explained even more than even Max did, and that kitten was in desperate need of the development he got. Tarot we aren’t even sure if she has an owner or not, how she met Sabrina (who by the way, did Rick ever clarify how Sabrina factor into the demigod’s game? Were they sharing the role like Ptah and Satau did, or was Tarot training her to take over after her?), and there was that line in temple crashers 2 where she said she was raised on logic and magick (or something to that degree) and that felt like more than a throwaway line there. It likely means she’s been Dragon’s avatar for a very long time, possibly to a point that her need for control could be a mental hangup from having so little of it in her life for the part where Dragon was a part of... more that I think about it, her admiring how easily Peanut can act so happy has some tragic implications if you consider that might also be due partially to Dragon’s influence.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Gameb18oy wrote:Honestly, Tarot needs her background explained even more than even Max did, and that kitten was in desperate need of the development he got. Tarot we aren’t even sure if she has an owner or not, how she met Sabrina (who by the way, did Rick ever clarify how Sabrina factor into the demigod’s game? Were they sharing the role like Ptah and Satau did, or was Tarot training her to take over after her?), and there was that line in temple crashers 2 where she said she was raised on logic and magick (or something to that degree) and that felt like more than a throwaway line there. It likely means she’s been Dragon’s avatar for a very long time, possibly to a point that her need for control could be a mental hangup from having so little of it in her life for the part where Dragon was a part of... more that I think about it, her admiring how easily Peanut can act so happy has some tragic implications if you consider that might also be due partially to Dragon’s influence.
I don't think Tarot needs that much development. Just show she and Peanut are now getting along more. Maxwell luckily got his well-needed development, so the way I'm seeing it ~ Rick doesn't need to go any further with any of them. save the juicy stuff for later go back to our regularly scheduled hijinks :3
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

It must be great to be Kitsune. All the power and charisma in the universe so you can spring on two people clearly having an intimate moment, interrupt them and then get away with it. :lol:
GameCobra wrote: I don't think Tarot needs that much development. Just show she and Peanut are now getting along more. Maxwell luckily got his well-needed development, so the way I'm seeing it ~ Rick doesn't need to go any further with any of them. save the juicy stuff for later go back to our regularly scheduled hijinks :3
Hopefully we'll be coming up to the yearly finale next. If I had to guess there will be another week of one-offs then the final chapter of Year 11 where we get to the real story again presumably something with Steward and/or the dino-demon.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

GameCobra wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:Honestly, Tarot needs her background explained even more than even Max did, and that kitten was in desperate need of the development he got. Tarot we aren’t even sure if she has an owner or not, how she met Sabrina (who by the way, did Rick ever clarify how Sabrina factor into the demigod’s game? Were they sharing the role like Ptah and Satau did, or was Tarot training her to take over after her?), and there was that line in temple crashers 2 where she said she was raised on logic and magick (or something to that degree) and that felt like more than a throwaway line there. It likely means she’s been Dragon’s avatar for a very long time, possibly to a point that her need for control could be a mental hangup from having so little of it in her life for the part where Dragon was a part of... more that I think about it, her admiring how easily Peanut can act so happy has some tragic implications if you consider that might also be due partially to Dragon’s influence.
I don't think Tarot needs that much development. Just show she and Peanut are now getting along more. Maxwell luckily got his well-needed development, so the way I'm seeing it ~ Rick doesn't need to go any further with any of them. save the juicy stuff for later go back to our regularly scheduled hijinks :3
I suppose I wasn’t clear on something and the thing with Maxwell confused the message. Tarot doesn’t really need development, but some clarity on the odd missing parts of who she is would be helpful in figuring out fully why she is the way she is
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Gameb18oy wrote:I suppose I wasn’t clear on something and the thing with Maxwell confused the message. Tarot doesn’t really need development, but some clarity on the odd missing parts of who she is would be helpful in figuring out fully why she is the way she is
I think we are able to tell who she is from her actions in the present, the backstory isn't really needed.
It worked with the other characters, the backstories never added that much (don't get me wrong, they were a nice touch, but I never felt like the characters dersperatly needed them).
Although if that would lead to "Housepets babies II" then I'm all for it :mrgreen:
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:I suppose I wasn’t clear on something and the thing with Maxwell confused the message. Tarot doesn’t really need development, but some clarity on the odd missing parts of who she is would be helpful in figuring out fully why she is the way she is
I think we are able to tell who she is from her actions in the present, the backstory isn't really needed.
It worked with the other characters, the backstories never added that much (don't get me wrong, they were a nice touch, but I never felt like the characters dersperatly needed them).
Although if that would lead to "Housepets babies II" then I'm all for it :mrgreen:
GASP! Backstories are ALWAYS necessary. They add depth and information that simply cannot be obtained through the present. Burning questions that you never knew that you needed to know. It would be really nice to know why Tarot seems to not have an owner. I'm starting to think that her owner died but she never told anyone that her owner died so the government still thinks that they're alive.

Max definitely needed one. I want to know about Grape's time as Princess Periwinkle. GOD knows we need King's backstory so much. He still has so many issues and so many unanswered questions about his past. Seriously the dude went to jail twice, I would like to know what happened the first time.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

fenrirblack wrote:
HundKatzeMaus wrote:
GASP! Backstories are ALWAYS necessary. They add depth and information that simply cannot be obtained through the present. Burning questions that you never knew that you needed to know. It would be really nice to know why Tarot seems to not have an owner. I'm starting to think that her owner died but she never told anyone that her owner died so the government still thinks that they're alive.

Max definitely needed one. I want to know about Grape's time as Princess Periwinkle. GOD knows we need King's backstory so much. He still has so many issues and so many unanswered questions about his past. Seriously the dude went to jail twice, I would like to know what happened the first time.
I agree! While I made my own backstory for Tarot myself, I would love to see some offical backstories for those we know next to nothing about, like Tarot.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

fenrirblack wrote:
HundKatzeMaus wrote:

I didn't wanted to say backstories aren't important. I wanted to say we don't always need one to understand a character.
Speaking of Tarot's owner, maybe Dragon was at one point (before housepets) the owner of Tarot like Pete was to King, but also vanished? It's just a thought.

I think Joel was in jail the first time, because he worked for another animal rights group like Peta. He also ran away with his pets when he was young, so maybe he lived for some time on the streets and had to do some criminal things like stealing to survive.
That's another thought of mine.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:
HundKatzeMaus wrote:

Honestly, I just want to see what happened to his monster sized pets
jonas

Post by jonas »

You know Great Kitsune secretly writes bad, ship-heavy Housepets fanfics in his spare time. (And because he's eternal, he's got plenty of that.) His Mary Sue OC is just himself.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

HundKatzeMaus wrote: I didn't wanted to say backstories aren't important. I wanted to say we don't always need one to understand a character.
Speaking of Tarot's owner, maybe Dragon was at one point (before housepets) the owner of Tarot like Pete was to King, but also vanished? It's just a thought.
I think Joel was in jail the first time, because he worked for another animal rights group like Peta. He also ran away with his pets when he was young, so maybe he lived for some time on the streets and had to do some criminal things like stealing to survive.
That's another thought of mine.
I assume Dragon has something to do with Tarots independence which raises several questions. I’m going to assume it was like with Max and Rufus and Dragon adopted Tarot from a young age to raise into a powerful avatar.
He worked for ASPCA before and I assume he got in trouble for something computer related probably during his college days or after his parents kicked him out but before his mother died.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Weird to think of Tarot being adopted by a Celestial who used her later on and it's much easier to think that she had an owner but something happened.

Then again, Pete turned into a human and briefly adopted King so maybe it was like that.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

I was always of the assumption that Tarot was adopted by Stanley D'Angelo, since Tarot in home situations was almost always with Sabrina.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Tarot's backstory is something something Dragon and she shows up at the Sandwiches making things float.

Joel's backstory? We've had a bunch of shots at his backstory. I don't think we need to see anything more.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Are they meant to be lying down in this strip?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Yes :3
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

OHHHH, this strips suddenly makes a lot more sense and makes Kitsune showing up a lot more awkward.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Also, notice how the panel moves to the left a little bit in the last panel.

He could've been laying there the whole time.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Its always like Kitsune to insert himself into situations he finds amusing and to offer his advice, even if it is mostly unwanted by the pets at that point. LOL
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Oh....now the title makes so much sense... :shock:
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Argent wrote:Tarot's backstory is something something Dragon and she shows up at the Sandwiches making things float.

Joel's backstory? We've had a bunch of shots at his backstory. I don't think we need to see anything more.
I do want to know more about Tarot pre-Dragon or even just right after Dragon showed up. Heck, I think Sabrina needs a bit of exploring as well, she has been all over the world with her dad IIRC. I'm sure it would be easy to combine doing a story in Sabrina's past and Tarots backstory. They had to meet at some point unless Dragon just made Tarot show up one day at Sabrina's house.
Argent

Post by Argent »

IceKitsune wrote:I'm sure it would be easy to combine doing a story in Sabrina's past and Tarots backstory. They had to meet at some point unless Dragon just made Tarot show up one day at Sabrina's house.
I'd like to see Sabrina's thing with the coyote illustrated instead of being a half-lost text post you have to know about to find.

I'm sure Sabrina and Tarot just ran into each other on EctoBook or GravesList or some other Aether-net site.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

IceKitsune wrote:
Argent wrote:Tarot's backstory is something something Dragon and she shows up at the Sandwiches making things float.

I do want to know more about Tarot pre-Dragon or even just right after Dragon showed up. Heck, I think Sabrina needs a bit of exploring as well, she has been all over the world with her dad IIRC. I'm sure it would be easy to combine doing a story in Sabrina's past and Tarots backstory. They had to meet at some point unless Dragon just made Tarot show up one day at Sabrina's house.
I was always curious about her time in Feraga with Jata. Tarot’s story I can’t imagine was very interesting until Dragon came unless she did something super incredible or something truly tragic happened in her life. Again I’m imagining something like with Max & Rufus like Dragon found Tarot on the side of the road one stormy evening after she lost everything. This beam of light appeared and Dragon descended from on high. How Sabrina got mixed up in all this is a better question because despite her owner not being around her life seems pretty normal. Maybe Tarot posted a want ad somewhere or Sabrina mistakenly joined a coven of witches as a familiar.
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

fenrirblack wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:

I was always curious about her time in Feraga with Jata. Tarot’s story I can’t imagine was very interesting until Dragon came unless she did something super incredible or something truly tragic happened in her life. Again I’m imagining something like with Max & Rufus like Dragon found Tarot on the side of the road one stormy evening after she lost everything. This beam of light appeared and Dragon descended from on high. How Sabrina got mixed up in all this is a better question because despite her owner not being around her life seems pretty normal. Maybe Tarot posted a want ad somewhere or Sabrina mistakenly joined a coven of witches as a familiar.
Actually all we need to know how avatar is choosen. Does the person need a certain amount of spiritual power or something?
Tarot for one with all her seeing into the future and all seems to be really in touch with the spiritual, even without Dragon ( I assume a part of it is Tarot's natural talent and not just some remains from Dragon's powers). So it could be something like that?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Taking a guess that they just have to find someone that was committed. Tarot commits alot to her work, but it could be that she honestly has huge faith in that hard work and good faith pays off.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I assume that an avatar was chosen based on if that person is truly desperate or damaged or convenient. They would have to have a basic level of power or skills, someone who can actually fight when the time comes. Pete wanted Grape first so he saw something in her that made her appealing. He settled on Joel because he is still the most damaged character in the entire comic. Tarot must have been chosen based her spiritual ability and Sabrina because of her magic affinity. There really is no one way to choose an avatar. Satau was chosen based on his combat ability.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joel wasn't even anywhere near the choice that Pete wanted but ended up getting stuck with him due to unforeseen on his end circumstances.

He wanted Grape first so to stop him from taking her, Dragon broke Max and Sabrina up and put Max and Grape together so Grape would be attached and unusable. She then put Peanut and Tarot and Fido and Sabrina together because Pete's next choices were Peanut and Fido. I don't think Dragon ever thought about Pete turning a human into a pet and using him so Pete claiming King before Dragon could do anything must have been a real annoyance to Dragon who thought she had the upper hand.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Joel wasn't even anywhere near the choice that Pete wanted but ended up getting stuck with him due to unforeseen on his end circumstances.

He wanted Grape first so to stop him from taking her, Dragon broke Max and Sabrina up and put Max and Grape together so Grape would be attached and unusable. She then put Peanut and Tarot and Fido and Sabrina together because Pete's next choices were Peanut and Fido. I don't think Dragon ever thought about Pete turning a human into a pet and using him so Pete claiming King before Dragon could do anything must have been a real annoyance to Dragon who thought she had the upper hand.
Actually, there is no confirmation that Max and Sabrina broke up because of Dragon, but there is evidence to suggest it was done to have Sabrina become Dragon's next avatar. As for deliberately sending Max to Grape that night ~ it could've been a coincidence since Max never heard of these games.
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

GameCobra wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Joel wasn't even anywhere near the choice that Pete wanted but ended up getting stuck with him due to unforeseen on his end circumstances.

Actually, there is no confirmation that Max and Sabrina broke up because of Dragon, but there is evidence to suggest it was done to have Sabrina become Dragon's next avatar. As for deliberately sending Max to Grape that night ~ it could've been a coincidence since Max never heard of these games.
Also it's worth mentioning Max thought before that Grape was the coolest cat ever and was surprised as Peanut learning that Grape is a female.
Also it was Grape who asked Max out in the first place.
About Max going to Grape's place during that one night, he did mention that his dad kinda locked him out (something which can happen in RL when you let your cat out the whole night).
I could imagine Sabrina broke up with Max for different reasons, the arc with Satau did showed at one moment that Max can seriously annoy her.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:
GameCobra wrote:

Also it's worth mentioning Max thought before that Grape was the coolest cat ever and was surprised as Peanut learning that Grape is a female.
Also it was Grape who asked Max out in the first place.
About Max going to Grape's place during that one night, he did mention that his dad kinda locked him out (something which can happen in RL when you let your cat out the whole night).
I could imagine Sabrina broke up with Max for different reasons, the arc with Satau did showed at one moment that Max can seriously annoy her.
Max is an acquired taste.
Argent

Post by Argent »

GameCobra wrote:Actually, there is no confirmation that Max and Sabrina broke up because of Dragon, but there is evidence to suggest it was done to have Sabrina become Dragon's next avatar.
Where do you get that?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Argent wrote:
GameCobra wrote:Actually, there is no confirmation that Max and Sabrina broke up because of Dragon, but there is evidence to suggest it was done to have Sabrina become Dragon's next avatar.
Where do you get that?
Well, just that one time Sabrina had green eyes.

Also, I recall hearing Rick saying that one time as well, but forget where...
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

GameCobra wrote:
Argent wrote:
Where do you get that?
Well, just that one time Sabrina had green eyes.

Also, I recall hearing Rick saying that one time as well, but forget where...
Well Sabrina was Tarot's substitute and it could really be that Dragon wanted to be prepared for the case something happens...which is kinda of a dark implication... :?