Chat Thread 42: The Answer To Life, The Universe and Everyth

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

ShadowLightning

Re: Chat Thread 42: The Answer To Life, The Universe and Eve

Post by ShadowLightning »

Same here, the only working console I have at the moment is a PS2. As fun as the games are on it, almost all of it have been remastered/remade on more advanced consoles. I'm starting to regret buying it actually since at the time, I had a cousin who was saying "You should just get a PS3 instead", but me being foolish and dumb asked my parents to buy a PS2. Though I guess it's amusing to think how I got it in the same year they stopped manufacturing them.
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Avatar done by the wonderful kurowolfe!
I also have an FA account now. Sooo... check it out.
KingFan13

Chat Thread 42 The Answer To Life The Universe & Everything

Post by KingFan13 »

PS2 is quite good. I just got one in June 2015 after wanting it for most of my life. A nice system to own. I am now looking at getting a PS3 at some point, they should start getting much cheaper soon. I'm usually a generation behind.

Did you know that the last game ever created for the PS2 was made on the PS2, PS3, and PS4? It was the Fifa 14 game. Shows how long the PS2 could last and how good it was.

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

We got a PS2 a good while back and it still plays all my old games :D
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

I still have a PS2 and it still works and even plays the PS1 games I still have. :P

But yeah I do also have a PS3...and I'm interested in getting a PS4 eventually...I wanna do things my way, which doesn't help my situation, coz my way usually means years later, probably when the whispers in the wind about the PS5 start circiulating.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Yeah, not being able to play my PS2 and PS1 games on the new systems one of the main reasons I never got them...
tsMKG

Re: Chat Thread 42 The Answer To Life The Universe & Everyth

Post by tsMKG »

KingFan13 wrote:PS2 is quite good. I just got one in June 2015 after wanting it for most of my life. A nice system to own. I am now looking at getting a PS3 at some point, they should start getting much cheaper soon. I'm usually a generation behind.

Did you know that the last game ever created for the PS2 was made on the PS2, PS3, and PS4? It was the Fifa 14 game. Shows how long the PS2 could last and how good it was.

The only other game that I know to have three generation release on the same day was Mortal Kombat II (Master System, Genesis, Sega 32X)

Also, the last PS2 game is not FIFA 14, is PES 2014.

Longest-running consoles that I can think (from the launch day to the release of the last game):

Atari 2600 (1977-1992)
NEO GEO (1990-2005)
NES (1983-1995)
Sega Master System (1985-1998)
Genesis/Megadrive (1988-2002)
PlayStation (1994-2005)
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I remember that Game Boy Advance lasting surprisingly long too! The DS was such a gamble that a lot of developers stayed with the GBA for a bit.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I haven't actually played any non-handheld console games since my Freshman year of college. but thanks to my brother the only system I don't have access to from the last few generations is XBox One
(my brother got the PS1, PS2, PS4, and WiiU while I got Gamecube, Wii,and PS3. my dad bought us XBox and XBox 360)

and yeah, the resolutions are getting higher than anyone needs, cause it depends on screen size and there's only so big a screen can get before not fitting in houses.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

You guys remember what your first games console was? Mine was a Sega Master System (I believe it's called Sega Mega drive in america) so yeah, the first full video game I ever played was the first Sonic The Hedgehog game, pre-installed in the console itself. I also had the cartridge for Sonic 2.

I no longer possess my Sega Master System, though. I don't rememebr why it was gotten rid of.

My second console was a Super Nintendo Entertainment System, and I believe I still have that hidden away somewhere, and it should still be working.

My PS1 would be the third console I ever had, then PS2 4th, and PS3 5th.
ShadowLightning

The very first console I ever got was probably the Nintendo 64. I remember playing it with my cousin before and then he gave it to me. It came with all sorts of gems like the first Smash game, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, and Mischief Makers. There were other games (I think I had StarFox), but I didn't really play with them much, compared to the ones I just named.

If we're counting handhelds, I think my first one would have to the GameBoy Brick (I think that's what it's called). I only had this one game that was this 1-in-12 cartridge, and more than half of the games were in Japanese.
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

The first (and so far, only) handheld I got is the Gameboy Colour. I sitll have it, and I believe it still works, providing you give it fresh batteries.

I got Poke'mon Yellow, a Wario game, a Rugrats game and a Turok game cartridge for it.

I originally had a Mario game but I believe I traded it with a friend for the Turok cartridge.

Bad trade, in hindsight, but I lost contact with that friend so I can't say I changed my mind.
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

The Blue Fox wrote:You guys remember what your first games console was? Mine was a Sega Master System (I believe it's called Sega Mega drive in america) so yeah, the first full video game I ever played was the first Sonic The Hedgehog game, pre-installed in the console itself. I also had the cartridge for Sonic 2.

I no longer possess my Sega Master System, though. I don't rememebr why it was gotten rid of.
Nope, it's called Sega Master System too (If you're talking about Sega's 8-bit console) and the Japanese version is called either Sega Mark III (non-FM version) or Sega Master System (FM version). MegaDrive is the European/Japanese name for the Sega Genesis (16-bit).

And for some reason handheld consoles don't last that much (The only handheld console to stay 11 year producing games was the Nintendo DS)

As for my consoles, I don't have anything now :cry: (Even my PC is broken)
My first console was a Family Game... I mean FamiCom! It had an useless keyboard and Genesis controllers.
I had that cartridge with 4 games (Binary Land, Super Mario Bros (we called it Mario Bros. 2 for some reason), Elevator Action and Wrecking Crew), other cartridge with many sports games (it was in Spanish for some reason) and Super Mario Bros. 3.
First handheld? A brick game 9999-in-1. Had much fun with it.
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

tsMKG wrote:
The Blue Fox wrote:You guys remember what your first games console was? Mine was a Sega Master System (I believe it's called Sega Mega drive in america) so yeah, the first full video game I ever played was the first Sonic The Hedgehog game, pre-installed in the console itself. I also had the cartridge for Sonic 2.

Nope, it's called Sega Master System too (If you're talking about Sega's 8-bit console) and the Japanese version is called either Sega Mark III (non-FM version) or Sega Master System (FM version). MegaDrive is the European/Japanese name for the Sega Genesis (16-bit).
Oh. My mistake. I got confused by all the different Sega console names. It was a long time ago, and I'd heard America had a different name for what I assumed was the Sega Master System.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

I'm starting a Twitch stream at 2:00PM EST if anyone is interested. twitch.tv/everythingtwitch

EDIT: Nevermind. Twitch won't let me log in and won't send a reset email.
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

The Blue Fox wrote:You guys remember what your first games console was?
This has a few answers for me depending on your definition of console and "your"
I think the first I played was the Sega Pico, which was a console aimed towards kids. If that doesn't count, I also played on my brother's Sega Genesis. but the first one I actually bought was the Game Cube.

on the handheld side, I grew up playing my dad's Sega Gamegear, and my brother's Gameboy Color, but the first one that was actually mine was the original DS
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

The Blue Fox wrote:You guys remember what your first games console was?
Mine was the Sega Genesis.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

My brother and I had a Sega Genesis and NES. We mostly played Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and 3, and a little of Sonic and Knuckles. We also had Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition, and a few other games. NES was mainly Mario/Duck Hunt. Still have the latter, though the console barely works anymore. Since upgraded to a Retron.

We eventually got a N64 and played that long into the life cycle of the Gamecube. We got that about two years before the Wii was released, which we ended up getting as well. We got an Xbox 360 a couple years ago.

We have a PS2 from someone giving it away, though I don't play it anymore. PS3 was given from a friend of my brothers', but the drive died out.

As for handhelds, first I remember was the Game Boy Pocket, though the original brick was given to us from someone who made the upgrade. I even had the Pikachu/Pichu edition. Been upgrading the handhelds ever since whenever the y came out.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
KingFan13

Chat Thread 42 The Answer To Life The Universe & Everything

Post by KingFan13 »

My first console was the NES, despite being born after its time (GameCube released by the time I was old enough to actively enjoy games). The first game system I owned that was just mine was the GameCube and GameBoy Advance SP (got them for Christmas on the same day).

I just got my PS2 a little over a year ago, as well as a Genesis and Dreamcast. I also recently got a PS1.

I'm usually a generation or two behind, no use in me upgrading when there aren't many games on the system yet. The system I want next is a PS3, and I'll also probably get an Atari 2600 soon.

Fun fact: Even though the N64 was made after the SNES, it was discontinued before the SNES (going by Japan dates).
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

My first console was Game Boy Color, followed by SNES, PS2, GameCube, Wii, X360, PS3, XB1.

The PS2 I have the most fond memories of... so many summer weekends spent cooped up in that room playing Gran Turismo 4.
If you want my number, it's #804080.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

First console would be the Atari, but i personally classified a old computer my mother once had as the oldest computer gaming machine i ever touched. Played Detective games on it until i get a hold of the Commodore 64.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I'll be honest, I own about 20 Atari 2600 games. they were in those big "books" at a thrift store in my town, and for $20 for the two books, I went ahead and did it.

...Now I need to find a console. Found them many times at a used game store I frequent, though I've never had the $120 on hand to buy them. Also, tried looking up online, but I keep finding only non-working units meant for parts. I've had a small interest in some of the earliest home consoles.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

My first console was the NES. The Super NES was the newest console at the time but that wasn't what we had. I was just a toddler, and my sister won the NES in a contest! Been a Nintendo fan ever since!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

Oh! a topic I can join and am not to late on!
My first console either was a PS1 or the Gameboy color. a tad hard to remember. I know I begged and talked my parents into letting me open my Christmas gift two days early because I guessed exactly what it was (I think either they let it slip or I saw them get it.) It had pokemon yellow and red. I played those games for hours, though I only remember those and a game called Croc.

My family never really could afford things, my parents would save up for something nice and buy a older console right at the end of their popularity and while the newer ones were still new. So I had a gamecube (near the end of its manufacturing cycle) as well. I remember fond hours playing on my playstation 1 though Crash and Spyro are two very loved characters for me. More than the gamecube really, actually I don't think I have had any fond Nintendo game memories outside of pokemon....
A few years ago they bought me a PS3 for "old times sake". I do enjoy my PS3 and been buying old PS1 games for it.

Also they are bringing some PS2 games to PS4 now... so an added incentive to get it.

I also gave my PS1 away to a church so I don't have it anymore.
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

My first and second consoles were a sort of cheap clones with some NES games in it, like the first Super Mario. Successively, I've always been a PC player, and I've never really cared to get a console, except for a bit of interest for the PS1 during the 1990s and for the first Xbox because of some games exclusives.
Deske

Post by Deske »

I was a console gamer, had an PS1 that I loved to death, Gameboy AdvanceSP, an N64 which I never even set up and I still don't know what became of it, Xbox 360 and a PS3. Bought the 360 because of Need for Speed and the PS3 was almost solely so that I could play Journey. Now I stick with PC's, I've got a desktop back at my house and a gaming laptop that I'm using right now. I'm thinking about buying a PS4 because of the new God of War coming out and also because I want Bloodborne, as I am avid Dark Souls player.
FancyHat
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US...Would prefer Scotland.

Post by FancyHat »

My first console that I owned myself was a Wii. One of the first games I got for that thing was Cabela's Dangerous Hunts and god do I love my Wii. I don't play it anymore, but I still have it, and a load of games with it..I plan on keeping onto that thing for as long as I can.
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Speaking of consoles, what're everyone's thoughts on the mini NES Classic coming out this year?
It seems like it's basically a plug-and-play console and fits in your hand. Can't connect to the internet, doesn't support external media, so the 30 included games are it. Only thing that's cross-compatible is the control, which uses the same connection as the virtual console controller, and can be used with the Wii U. I've learned that some of the games on this aren't available on Virtual Console. Included games are;

Balloon Fight
◾Bubble Bobble
◾Castlevania
◾Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
◾Donkey Kong
◾Donkey Kong Jr.
◾Double Dragon II: The Revenge
◾Dr. Mario
◾Excitebike
◾Final Fantasy
◾Galaga
◾Ghosts'N Goblins
◾Gradius
◾Ice Climber
◾Kid Icarus
◾Kirby's Adventure
◾Mario Bros.
◾Mega Man 2
◾Metroid
◾Ninja Gaiden
◾Pac-Man
◾Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
◾StarTropics
◾Super C
◾Super Mario Bros.
◾Super Mario Bros. 2
◾Super Mario Bros. 3
◾Tecmo Bowl
◾The Legend of Zelda
◾Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

I have a Retron, but this seems like a good money-saver on some of these games. Let's hear your thoughts.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

The games that are on it are very solid. These are actually on the original Wii virtual console. I would recommend it if you never played the classics and are at least interested. They even got Final Fantasy, Castlevania, Double Dragon and Mega man on there. (And their most popular versions) ~ And ESPECIALLY Star Tropics.

Disappointed that i can't play MY classics on it, though. =P
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I already own Star Tropics, Super Mario Bros., and got Legend of Zelda already. This does sound neat, but with the Retron, I can apply patches to a lot of games. Found an interesting one for Legend of Zelda, just haven't had the time to try it out.
FancyHat
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US...Would prefer Scotland.

Post by FancyHat »

I have family members with a wii. A Uncle and Aunt. The Uncle speed runs Mario Brothers like the Flash avoiding everything, The aunt takes it slow and steady but annihlates ANYTHING in her path..They both play Contra and Contra 3 Without the Konami Code and basically steamroll anything dumb enough to get in their way...My cousin has every game cube and N64 game known to man..And he beat Luigi's Mansion three times 100 percent completion on the first two 95 on the third... And I'm just sitting here, waiting for the Announcement that Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 get backwards compatibility for Xbox One or until I can get a xbox 360..
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
Deske

Post by Deske »

I just got one of the new 3DSXL's a month or two back. Picked up some LoZ, Final Fantasy, Smash, Pokemon and some others including Kingdom Hearts and a couple Castlevania games. Right now though I have my laptop which supplies me with a connection to my friends half a country away.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

I wanna get a 3DS XL at some point in my life so I can play Poke'mon X and get myself more up to date with the more modern Poke'mon gaming scene, as well as Smash Bros 3DS, Mario Kart 3DS and whatever other 3DS games interest me.

I also wanna get a PS Vita and play Wipeout 2048 and whatever other PS Vita games interest me.

Both so I can have more modern handheld consoles than the Gameboy Colour. :P

What consoles and games does everybody currently have?

I currently still got a PS2 and a PS3 and a TON of games for the first 3 PS console generations.

For PS1;
  • Command + Conquer 1 (A.K.A C + C Tiberium Dawn)
    Command + Conquer Red Alert 1
    Crash Bandicoot 1 + 2
    Disney's The Lion King: Simbas' Mighty Adventure
    Firestorm - Thunderhawk 2
    GTA 2
    Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone: The Game
    Metal Gear Solid 1 (A.K.A Twin Snakes)
    Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
    Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
    Railroad Tycoon 2
    Spider-man: The Game 1
    Star Wars Episdoe 1: The Phantom Menace: The Game
    Tenchu 2
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
    Wip3out
    Worms: Armageddon
    X-men: Mutant Academy 2

For PS2;
  • Canis Canem Edit
    Grand Theft Auto 3
    Kingdom Hearts 1
    Kingdom Hearts 2
    Lego Star Wars: The Video Game
    Lego Star Wars 2 : The Original Trilogy
    Medal Of Honor European Assault (Yet to be played)
    Medal Of Honor Frontline
    Medal Of Honor Rising Sun
    Metal Gear Solid 2; Sons Of Liberty (Technically yet to be played)
    Okami
    Prince Of Persia: Sands Of Time
    Robot Wars: Arenas Of Destruction
    Shadow The Hedgehog: The Game
    Sonic Heroes
    The Simpsons Game
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 1 (Yet to be played)
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (Yet to be played)
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (Yet to be played)
    Ultimate Spider-Man
    Wallace And Gromit The Curse Of The Were-Rabbit: The Game
    Wipeout Fusion
    Worms 3D
    XIII (Yet to be played)

For PS3;
  • Assassin's Creed
    Assassin's Creed 2
    Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
    Assassin's Creed Revelations
    Battlefield 3
    Blur
    Burnout Paradise
    Grand Theft Auto 4
    Grand Theft Auto Episodes from Liberty City (Yet to be played)
    Infamous
    Infamous 2
    Marvel V.S Capcom 3: Fate Of Two Worlds
    Modnation Racers
    Saints Row The Third
    Sonic '06 (yeah, I know...)
    Sonic Generations
    Sonic Unleashed
    Starhawk
    Star Wars The Force Unleashed
    Star Wars The Force Unleashed 2
    Test Drive Unlimited 2
    The Sims 3
    Tom Clancy's Endwar

Then there's the consoles and games I have yet to get.

Yes, I do plan to get a PS4 in the future and GTA 5 with it, plus a bunch of other PS4 games such as;
  • Battlefield 4
    Battlefield Hardline
    Call Of Duty Advanced Warfare
    Infamous Second Son
    The Crew
    Tom Clancy's The Division
    Minecraft PS4 Edition
    Minecraft Story Mode

I also want to dive into the PC gaming side of things with;
  • Minecraft PC Edition (the thinking is; why not both?)
    Planetside 2
    Plants V.S Zombies Garden Warfare 1 + 2
    Project Spark
    Team Fortress 2
    Titanfall
    Simcity
    Spore
    Wildstar

So many games...so little time...and they're still making more new ones...

By the way, I'm getting a bit worried the mods might tell us off about letting the video game discussion leak onto here when there's a dedicated thread for that
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Tell you guys what. Why don't we compare our lists of videogames with each others' over in the videogames thread?

In other news, I just bought myself this shirt.

I wish the website would ship to Vietnam so I could get Serence this one to match:

Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Wait...you live in vietnam, hlaoroo? :shock:
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

No, she does. I'm in Tasmania, Australia. ^^
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Oooohhhh I see...I kind of didn't quite understand what you meant by that second part of your post =^w^;=
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Ah. Sorry for the confusion.
It's just that Vietnamese post is notoriously bad. Apparently it took 5 months to send a parcel across the city once. :P

How do you like the shirts, Thom?
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Meh. They're okay, I guess.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Ah, novelty T-shirts! :D I have quite a few.

- One has a picture of a wolf and reads "Always be yourself. Unless you can be a wolf. Then always be a wolf."
- I have another with a corgi parody of the Soft Kitty song.
- Most recently I got a shirt that reads "Life is better with a corgi."
- My "Stud Puffin" t-shirt elicits the most compliments. Unfortunately I can't seem to find that particular style online - I'll have to custom make a new one when my old one wears out, probably.
- And of course, my two Douglas t-shirts (three if you include the misprinted one I got for free)
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
ShadowLightning

I mostly get my good t-shirts from my sister. She buys one for me during my birthday and sometimes on Christmas too. There was this recent yellow one with a bear on it. She said she got me it because I liked animals and stuff. She's not wrong, hehe. :lol: