2016/07/04 - The Dogpen

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
ChekeBello

Re: 2016/07/04 - The Dogpen

Post by ChekeBello »

The new style is cool, I will really miss the eye's colors if U you choose not to keep them.

I wouldn't mind helping with the re-tagging on the comics, tbh to me that sounds like something fun to do on spare time xD

I understand that PNG is a bigger file format (regarding file sizes) but the white in the back of the panels looks somehow off for me.

What about the Stories that were in the old site? I hope they can return, I knew I should have saved them but I didn't >.<

Edit: Also, is there any problem if we use the new site's background on the wikia?
Argent

Post by Argent »

rickgriffin wrote:Also I haven't decided whether to keep no-color pupils or what, given I've been omitting them a lot and it's bothersome to remember
One vote for iris colors here.
D-Rock wrote:Bottom left corner of Fox would have looked weird if you made it a PNG with transparent background, though I'm sure you would have remedied that easily with a simple backdrop.
PNG doesn't require transparency.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Yeah I gotta say the eye colours gave more life to the characters IMO, but it's your choice rick :D

Also if it's not too inconvenient for ikani, I think PNG would be better for transparency, this kinda gave me the feel of a spot/guest week comic in that sense, more like a comic and less like a webcomic :P
johnwolf

Post by johnwolf »

Having Eye color let's one add little details for those paying attention. Now, i'll respect your decision but i think the characters also lose a bit of personality without the colored irises.
ChekeBello

Post by ChekeBello »

johnwolf wrote:Having Eye color let's one add little details for those paying attention. Now, i'll respect your decision but i think the characters also lose a bit of personality without the colored irises.
Thinking about this, for some time it was the main way to tell Miles' cubs apart (for some of us)
Furryface18

Post by Furryface18 »

Ooh the new site looks nice. It gives off a fresh and modern feel. And yay a new character!
There's no place like home...except the Housepets home page.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

ChekeBello wrote:Thinking about this, for some time it was the main way to tell Miles' cubs apart (for some of us)
It's still the main way some of us tell them apart :P
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Obbl wrote:
ChekeBello wrote:Thinking about this, for some time it was the main way to tell Miles' cubs apart (for some of us)
It's still the main way some of us tell them apart :P
I still only know North Star, but that's because of the work I put in for him in ToB.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

rickgriffin wrote:
gamepopper wrote:Woo! A K-9 story arc! :D

Also I noticed Rick saying he's moving from three a week to two a week, but didn't see which days those would be. I don't mind considering there will be a new format and all, but I like knowing which days to check the site. ^^;
I haven't decided if Monday/Thursday or Monday/Friday yet

Also I haven't decided if I'll keep JPG or go back to PNG . . . the main issue being that PNG is 2x the file size of JPG.

Also I haven't decided whether to keep no-color pupils or what, given I've been omitting them a lot and it's bothersome to remember
Perhaps a compromise on the eyes is possible. What if you only show the iris when there are less than a certain number of characters in a panel? For example, in this comic the only time you would add in the colored irises would be panels 2, 3, and 5.

Whatever you decide, I'll keep reading. Irises or no, I still enjoy the comic. (Even if you switched back to black&white I'd keep reading. I read this comic less for the art itself and much more for the stories.)

As for the days that you upload new pages, I really appreciate the MWF schedule because it keeps the story moving along. For what it's worth, the other comics I read, in no particular order, are Girl Genius, Harpy Gee, Sandra and Woo, Grrl Power, Cloudscratcher, Not A Villain, Freefall, and Kiwi Blitz. Each of those comics has its own schedule, and it's nice that most weeks, Saturday is the only day that nothing updates. I have really enjoyed your MWF schedule and would prefer that you keep it the same. However, if you really must change it, something like Saturday and some other day would be nice. Or, if you're not familiar with Cloudscratcher, it updates (mostly) every Sunday, but the number of pages uploaded each week varies. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing multi-page updates once a week from Housepets!.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
RedFoxWizard

Post by RedFoxWizard »

For a moment there I thought the fifth panel was Fox's heart booming in terror of his new parter being assigned. :lol:

Love the new site so far, and I understand that it'll take a bit before everything else is filled in.
Ice and fire magic? Does that result in a freezer-burn?
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

Mungo does a good job at imitating a Thunderbolt :lol:
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

Mungo! Mungo!
I really like the new website although it will take some getting use to.
I agree with TheOne, the pupil colours would be wonderful but don't go out of your way with a full room of eyes.
Hi Hi Pie
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I think that you can avoid coloring the eyes when the character is small enough in the panel that any coloring of the irises in proportion to the character would be basically invisible. For instance, Ralph is far enough away in the first panel that he wouldn't need eyes colored. Otherwise, definitely keep the coloring.

Please, don't get rid of one of the most charming minutiae in the comic. :cry:
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Riverweasel

Post by Riverweasel »

Well, it's my first time actually posting on the forum, but I'd be remiss to not cast my vote in that I love the colored pupils. It adds a lot more to their expressions as eyes are some of the most expressive components of our body language. The pure white iris surrounding a small dot makes it look a lot tackier than it should, in my opinion.
You see that shiny thing there? It's mine. Don't touch it!
celtcath74

Post by celtcath74 »

I see Fox is starting to resemble his "heavenly ideal".
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

Something about the new style bothers me... i cant really put my finger on it except that it feels like less effort is going into the fine details. The lines seems harsher and more blurred and some of the finer bits are missing or feel distorted somehow i noticed that some things that before were filly shaded seem to be just "scribble filled". The new site is nice but i worry that the longer strips are coming at a significant loss of quality per image.

Look at the difference in quality between these two images. Everything from background to character detail to pixel density seems to have dropped.

https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... ear-eight/

https://www.housepetscomic.com/

Also to the staff here please not that this isn't a bash but the expression of concern for a comic that is loved for its attention to detail and stylistic drawings.
Image Image
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Adoring Fan wrote:Something about the new style bothers me... i cant really put my finger on it except that it feels like less effort is going into the fine details. The lines seems harsher and more blurred and some of the finer bits are missing or feel distorted somehow i noticed that some things that before were filly shaded seem to be just "scribble filled". The new site is nice but i worry that the longer strips are coming at a significant loss of quality per image.

Look at the difference in quality between these two images. Everything from background to character detail to pixel density seems to have dropped.

Also to the staff here please not that this isn't a bash but the expression of concern for a comic that is loved for its attention to detail and stylistic drawings.
To be fair that was the end of the year strip, a lot more detail goes into it. Take this for comparison http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/201 ... ng-down-2/ instead
Foreigner

Post by Foreigner »

Adoring Fan wrote:Everything from background to character detail to pixel density seems to have dropped.
There is a difference between JPG and PNG. I think that is why
My English is bad. Sorry for that.
Douglas Collier

NoSoyFurry wrote:
Adoring Fan wrote:Something about the new style bothers me... i cant really put my finger on it except that it feels like less effort is going into the fine details. The lines seems harsher and more blurred and some of the finer bits are missing or feel distorted somehow i noticed that some things that before were filly shaded seem to be just "scribble filled". The new site is nice but i worry that the longer strips are coming at a significant loss of quality per image.

To be fair that was the end of the year strip, a lot more detail goes into it. Take this for comparison http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/201 ... ng-down-2/ instead
Yeah, I have to agree, the lines in this comic seem kind of blotchy and shaky compared to the previous comics. Maybe it's just a new pen?
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Just a general note to all. At least give the new style some time before you start bringing up parts of it you don't like. Rick will inevitably play with it until it meets his liking, and many of the finer points you aren't fond of will likely be ironed out as Rick gets a feel for expressing what he envisions. Too much criticism (much of which you won't see) leveled against the new style right at the start can make it hard for an artist to work out what he likes about it in order to bring it to its full potential.
Give it some time. Try to find things you like about it, and look for ways that Rick is improving upon it as time goes on.
Douglas Collier

I like the return to softer shading - it reminds me of the second style backgrounds. And, again, the noses. =3
RokukeShiba

Post by RokukeShiba »

Am I the only one who is weirded out that Keene bribes the cops?
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

The line between financing and bribing is a unique shade of gray ain't it ;)
RokukeShiba

Post by RokukeShiba »

Obbl wrote:The line between financing and bribing is a unique shade of gray ain't it ;)

Could mean that Keene is making anyone who threaten his regime disappear and the person trying to kill him is trying to bring peace on the land ;3
Fixban1972

Post by Fixban1972 »

Classic, just like Mungo from Blazing saddles. Don’t try to shot him it will only make him angry. For those of you who are not old enough to remember, go watch it on Netflix or something.
Argent

Post by Argent »

RokukeShiba wrote:Am I the only one who is weirded out that Keene bribes the cops?
Where do you get that?

The Milton ferrets are basically the municipal tax base for Babylon Gardens. Which was built by Henry Milton, and which Keene Milton conspicuously continues to invest in... remember the amusement park?

Property tax rates, per annum... Lindberg House, $2000; Sandwich house, $2500; Earl's Garage, $3700; Milton Estate, $17.5M...
Fixban1972 wrote:Classic, just like Mungo from Blazing saddles. Don’t try to shot him it will only make him angry. For those of you who are not old enough to remember, go watch it on Netflix or something.
That was Mongo.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Argent wrote: That was Mongo.
Still obviously based - in part - on him. As I poemed...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

Since it was Fourth of July and all, I was expecting a one-off featuring Grape and Peanut with them playing around with Fireworks or something.

Love the new change, btw! :mrgreen:
Douglas Collier

MrBlueSky7 wrote:Since it was Fourth of July and all, I was expecting a one-off featuring Grape and Peanut with them playing around with Fireworks or something.

Love the new change, btw! :mrgreen:
Well, the American flag made a cameo appearance, if that counts.