2016/04/18 - Weasel Words

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Douglas Collier

Re: 2016/04/18 - Weasel Words

Post by Douglas Collier »

Keene: "..."
Breel: "Untangle tangled slinkies, of course! On the side I work as a slinkie untangler!"
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
DolopODog

Post by DolopODog »

Douglas Collier wrote:I work as a slinkie untangler!
That's an adorable title for a weasel masseur!
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

What a nice background ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

(Sorry, I felt that a degdeg was needed)
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Civilization wrote:Or what the other ferrets are taking of Keene being gone. Or whatever they are doing, heh.
Given how time passes in Heaven, it could be no time at all on Earth.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
justacritic

Post by justacritic »

Or Keene's constantly blushing because of a lack of really significant social contact and now he has a bunch of it dumped on him? From the comic, the ferrets don't seem to have friends or emotional connections except for each other and their owner. (I assume.)
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

justacritic wrote:Or Keene's constantly blushing because of a lack of really significant social contact and now he has a bunch of it dumped on him? From the comic, the ferrets don't seem to have friends or emotional connections except for each other and their owner. (I assume.)
Well, he did spend a few months at the ferret exhibit at the zoo. :P
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Unusuallynamedperson

Post by Unusuallynamedperson »

He was okay at the wedding ceremonies when he 'vested his power'. And was pretty social when he confronted King for the first time.
If I hit someone with a dictionary is that physical, or verbal assault?
https://discord.gg/2Kwwv Housepets Discord link repaired!
Bucky-Roo

Post by Bucky-Roo »

Wait a second....

Who still uses slinkies in heaven?! WE GOT SMARTPHONES
Hello, my baby
Hello, my honey
Hello, my ragtime gaaal
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Bucky-Roo wrote:Wait a second....

yeah, but it isn't as fun when your smartphone falls down the stairs.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
DolopODog

Post by DolopODog »

Those stairs though! Who could resist?

Frank

Post by Frank »

Alright, since I'm surprized no one has suggested it, to a ferret a slinky is a potentially infinite shiny long narrow tube, and ferrets love crawling through those, especially if they can still see the outside while doing so
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

Douglas Collier wrote:I'm just going to pretend that Breel just wants to play a game of Twister.
For heaven's sake (literally), please stop pushing the PG rating in our minds. :P :(
Lets not kid ourselves here... A death in the main cast, a clear innuendo, and a new cast-member who is most likely gay. We are deep into PG-13 territory already. Not nearly at the level of many other generally clean Anthropomorphic comics (whose names i will not mention here out of respect for Rick Griffin). But we have already crossed the PG limit.
DolopODog wrote:

Those stairs though! Who could resist?

Indeed... The ultimate slinky staircase... It puts smartphones to shame :D and besides... Keenes love of slinkies is already known ;)

Last edited by Adoring Fan on Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Internaldialogue

Post by Internaldialogue »

Stop giving me things to ship ;~;
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Adoring Fan wrote:Lets not kid ourselves here... A death in the main cast, a clear innuendo, and a new cast-member who is most likely gay. We are deep into PG-13 territory already.
All of that is actually quite PG. Everything thus far has been rather tame ;)
Travis Retriever

Post by Travis Retriever »

"What do I do until then?" Rick, did you seriously make a Ren & Stimpy reference? XD

I would post a video for those not in the know, but I can't find it...basically, they end the show with a fourth wall breaking scene, Stimpy gets upset and asks when they'll be back.
Ren responds with, "In a little while man!"
Stimpy: "In a little while? What do I do 'til then?"

Never pictured you (Rick) as a Ren & Stimpy fan. XD
Silverseren

Post by Silverseren »

Adoring Fan wrote:Lets not kid ourselves here... A death in the main cast, a clear innuendo, and a new cast-member who is most likely gay. We are deep into PG-13 territory already.
The first two, perhaps, though that's highly dependent on the context and how it is done. Plenty of PG shows and films have a cast member die, for example.

But, why would having a gay cast member make it not PG?
Unusuallynamedperson

Silverseren wrote:
The first two, perhaps, though that's highly dependent on the context and how it is done. Plenty of PG shows and films have a cast member die, for example.

I'm going to sit out on the debate between PG or not, but how do we even know that's what Breel was talking about? He also could have been referring to something else that we aren't thinking of. After all he looks feral to me, he probably has feral ideals, maybe he invited him to an all out nature festivity. Or it was a picture of a burning building, no?
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

Silverseren wrote:

I would say it depends on where your from. Where i live gay cast members alone would be considered inappropriate. Its a touchy subject because of how religious groups view it. Plus with all the forced legislation coming from the supreme court in the US... Homosexuality is a very very touchy subject for a lot of people both on political and religious grounds.

Hot button issues tends to equal a PG-13 rating. *shrugs*
Image Image
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Well, in the US at least, having gay characters is not an automatic PG-13 rating. Death as a narrative device is also fine, as is innuendo (if it's done well, I assume)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Gay characters (and gay whatever) is exactly as family-appropriate as the straight counterpart.

Though I do think this is a bit suggestive for Housepets! standards, if you want my opinion! *shrugs*
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Parents fears back then were that their kids would not grow up to be like them because of said relations that are displayed on Television. growing up to be modeled after said couples. While that's understandable, that's really not a excuse in my opinion to hide it. They just gotta understand it better.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Wait, with everything being said, I've had an idea;

Slinky races using the Stairway to Heaven, and the ferrets are inside said slinkies! That'd be epic to see!
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Um, so. When I first read this I didn't notice Keene's blushing, and thought that the picture was of something relating to Heaven. And that Breel's "was hoping the pic would give you an idea" was as in " dude, you're dead, hahah!"
But now I read the disscusion and re-read the comic. So, yeah.
AmberTheWolfKit

Post by AmberTheWolfKit »

Silverseren wrote:

Well, if you want to get technical, Rick already hit on gay vibes with Bruce and Roosevelt. They're pretty affectionate with each other, and if I'm not mistaken the bit of dialogue they have on the plane alludes to them dating.

Now, I could just be reading into this a bit too much, but even the wiki says this isn't the first time we've gone into hinting homosexuality before:

But yeah, weather you think they're dating or not, you can't deny that hinting that same sex couples happen has happened in the comic before! :D

But as for the slinky thing.... yeah that's pushing into mature! :oops:

Unless "tangled slinky" refers to the two just cuddling, or Breel giving Keene a massage and "untangling" him...

Or it is what... well, what you think it is! ;)
I have no idea what I'm doing here.

But hey, I'll roll with it.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Unusuallynamedperson wrote:He was okay at the wedding ceremonies when he 'vested his power'. And was pretty social when he confronted King for the first time.
Those were really both business situations, and he was all about being in control. What he's missing is casual social contact with actual friends.
Frank wrote:Alright, since I'm surprized no one has suggested it, to a ferret a slinky is a potentially infinite shiny long narrow tube, and ferrets love crawling through those, especially if they can still see the outside while doing so
Sleet wrote:Though I do think this is a bit suggestive for Housepets! standards, if you want my opinion! *shrugs*
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

The slow motion pillow fight was suggestive only in a vague way. Peanut is clearly "aroused" by the idea but it go's no further than that and Peanuts feelings for Grape are pretty well established. There have actually been several obvious occasions of peanut fantasizing about grape as a love interest but it all stays as just that. Peanut being lovesick... The slinky thing is a much more direct innuendo and is clearly more along the lines of actual "acts" vs just thinking someone is attractive. The fact that Keene is blushing and uncomfortable is an obvious indicator of that and leads me to believe that the "Tangled Slinkies" comment is likely not whats really on the screen and is just a way to make a joke of the situation..

But yeah Your comment about the kangaroos is very well put... Anything between the kangaroos beyond just dating is left to the reader however while the slinky comment is sorta "in your face".
Image Image
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Do we really have to do this every time something is remotely suggesting a gay relationship?
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

NoSoyFurry wrote:Do we really have to do this every time something is remotely suggesting a gay relationship?
That's just the fun of forums.
It gives us things to discuss and sometimes leads into other topics. Like when we were debating Cory's gender. That turned into a very interesting discussion about naming conventions regarding flowers and herbs.
Hi Hi Pie
schradieck

Post by schradieck »

IdleCurator wrote:
NoSoyFurry wrote:Do we really have to do this every time something is remotely suggesting a gay relationship?
That's just the fun of forums.
It gives us things to discuss and sometimes leads into other topics. Like when we were debating Cory's gender. That turned into a very interesting discussion about naming conventions regarding flowers and herbs.
Looks like i'm going to enjoy it here then, :)
Not lonely anymore,

But do still feel free to talk to me
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Argent wrote:Image
And I still don't get that one, xD
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

I'm already shipping Keene and Breel.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Unusuallynamedperson

Because nobodies asked yet, how did Keene die? Did he choke on the slinky he was playing with, was he electrocuted, did he fall off the mansion patio, or was it a power point presentation?
Argent

Post by Argent »

Unusuallynamedperson wrote:Because nobodies asked yet, how did Keene die? Did he choke on the slinky he was playing with, was he electrocuted, did he fall off the mansion patio, or was it a power point presentation?
This has been brought up, the best suggestion I've seen is that he fell into a mystic portal that Karishad sort of accidentally created when he was messing around with stuff from the Temple.
BasedDook

Post by BasedDook »

SuperStar wrote:
Argent wrote:Image
And I still don't get that one, xD
When someone is aroused or excited sexually, one way to get rid of those feelings is to take a "cold shower". Basically, Peanut got turned on at the thought of seeing Grape and the other cats jumping around in the hay and hitting themselves with pillows in slow motion (similar to slumber parties seen in teen romance films), that he has to jump into the pond to calm himself down. It was a pretty suggestive joke, but no more so than this one and I've definitely seen/heard worse in PG comedy movies.
Adoring Fan wrote:The slow motion pillow fight was suggestive only in a vague way. Peanut is clearly "aroused" by the idea but it go's no further than that and Peanuts feelings for Grape are pretty well established. There have actually been several obvious occasions of peanut fantasizing about grape as a love interest but it all stays as just that. Peanut being lovesick... The slinky thing is a much more direct innuendo and is clearly more along the lines of actual "acts" vs just thinking someone is attractive. The fact that Keene is blushing and uncomfortable is an obvious indicator of that and leads me to believe that the "Tangled Slinkies" comment is likely not whats really on the screen and is just a way to make a joke of the situation..

But yeah Your comment about the kangaroos is very well put... Anything between the kangaroos beyond just dating is left to the reader however while the slinky comment is sorta "in your face".
I disagree. Both of the strips you're talking about have a clear sexual element but remain vague enough that the reader could come away with a more innocent take on the comic. I believe another poster commented saying that maybe Breel just intended to play or massage Keene, while another mentioned that it's possible mustelids just enjoy playing with slinkies (which they do!). I don't think there is anything out of place in a PG comic here or at the very least, anything that we haven't seen before in a Housepets comic. We've had suggestive jokes before, we've had gay relationships before, and themes that are typically considered dark, like death and loneliness, have been discussed in a light and comedic tone.

Personally, I support the inclusion of gay weasels and a possibly bisexual Keene. We're finally getting more character out of him than just wanting to live in his owner's footsteps and being the borderline villain at times. He could definitely use some more romance and moral development in his life and I think Breel could bring that to him. If I remember correctly, Keene still has his personal bit of mana and I wonder if when this arc is over and he's spent the four months or so with Breel in heaven, he might want to bring Breel with him. Or, perhaps he can only use the mana to bring himself back to life and he rededicates his life to trying to be a better person so he can then spend eternity with Breel. There are a lot of possibilities here and I'm interested to see where Rick takes these characters from here.
Signed,
the very worst ferret butler in the world.
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

Actually i would say everything said so far has been pretty tame. Noone has been derogatory or started a stupid flame war. Its just sort of arbitrary talk of weather this counts as PG or PG-13 which is sort of a minor difference anyway.

Xane wrote:
Argent wrote:
Unusuallynamedperson wrote:Because nobodies asked yet, how did Keene die? Did he choke on the slinky he was playing with, was he electrocuted, did he fall off the mansion patio, or was it a power point presentation?
This has been brought up, the best suggestion I've seen is that he fell into a mystic portal that Karishad sort of accidentally created when he was messing around with stuff from the Temple.
I figure Karishad accidentally plugged his tail into the wall. Or he had a stroke from another uptight weasel tantrum.

Hey if Keene doesn't want marten snuggles I'll take 'em. Martens are so soft an fuzzly.

My money is on a stroke from Karishad :P
Image Image
Unusuallynamedperson

wait...what would a karishad power point even look like? :shock:
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

My money on Karishad messing with the electricity pole (arc 98) and Keene trying to fix it.

Anyways, we discussed that in the first strip of the arc.
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Oh Breel, you're such a flirt.

Also, hey guys! I'm back! :D
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

Saturn381 wrote:Oh Breel, you're such a flirt.

Also, hey guys! I'm back! :D
Sabrina! XD
Image Image
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

BasedDook wrote:If I remember correctly, Keene still has his personal bit of mana
I don't think so. Unless Karishad was given a bit of mana himself (or he just summoned it, since the universe bends to his will), Keene's mana was used to send Satau back to the past in Housepets! 5000 BC.
It's difficult to wear gloves with webbed fingers...

When talking about a character, I often speak in D&D terms.

I'm participating in a forum game! You can find it here: