2015/12/25 - Idylls Of The King

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
tsMKG

Re: 2015/12/25 - Idylls Of The King

Post by tsMKG »

The age thing is very complicated on Housepets! :?

Fox's age is particularly breaking my mind.
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
Zhiro

Post by Zhiro »

valerio wrote:
Zhiro wrote:Hold everything!! Just to be safe before any possible error that could be made. Why do all the puppies have floppy ears? Both there parents have pointy ears not floppy.
Basically, all dog breeds with pointed ears have floppy ears that take some month before they straighten up, though sometimes that doesn't happen. Sasha is one of those dogs

Ok thats good. One more thing just to clarify. I think I may already know. The puppy on the red box. Is he/she fur a inverted and darken color of her father? That pups fur color seems a little far off from his/her parents.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Zhiro wrote:Ok thats good. One more thing just to clarify. I think I may already know. The puppy on the red box. Is he/she fur a inverted and darken color of her father? That pups fur color seems a little far off from his/her parents.
Olive shows the colors of her daddy, only in different patterns. Unless talking about dogs who are specifically purebred, it is not mandatory that the offspring reflects both parents' (or one of them) fur patterns. So it is *perfectly* normal that Olive shows her dad's colors, but not the same pattern
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I get the names Olive and Rook, but Ace doesn't come off as particularly feminine to me.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I know a young woman who goes by Ace.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Dissension wrote:I know a young woman who goes by Ace.
Is she a 'real card'?

Or a former companion of a Time travelling profess... Doctor?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Zhiro wrote:
valerio wrote:
Zhiro wrote:Hold everything!! Just to be safe before any possible error that could be made. Why do all the puppies have floppy ears? Both there parents have pointy ears not floppy.
Basically, all dog breeds with pointed ears have floppy ears that take some month before they straighten up, though sometimes that doesn't happen. Sasha is one of those dogs
Ok thats good. One more thing just to clarify. I think I may already know. The puppy on the red box. Is he/she fur a inverted and darken color of her father? That pups fur color seems a little far off from his/her parents.
It's easier to see when King's laying down, but he's got plenty of black and brown. The real difference between him and Olive is that her black extends further on her body and head. Otherwise she matches King - black back, white front and brown in between.
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

bjchan95 wrote:And finally, after a long ordeal, fighting for everything, King receives his stubby-legged puppies <3
But. Why do all the puppies have floppy ears like Bino has!?

:mrgreen:
Huskies an corgis have tall standing ears
Rav/Ravage (RV) - M - German King Shepard: Str-7 Per-6 End-7 Cha-5 Int-5 Agi-6 Luck-6
Foxy Brown (Zootopia) - M - Coyote/RedWolf: Str-6 Per-7 End-6 Cha-4 Int-8 Agi-7 Luck-4
Oreo (RA) - M - Spotted Skunk: Str-5 Per-6 End-6 Cha-5 Int-7 Agi-8 Luck-5
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Keeshah wrote:
bjchan95 wrote:And finally, after a long ordeal, fighting for everything, King receives his stubby-legged puppies <3

See Rick's answer. https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 79#p729279
Last edited by Welsh Halfwit on Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
valerio

Post by valerio »

Keeshah wrote:

as puppies all dogs are floppy-eared. ALL of them
Furryface18

Post by Furryface18 »

Finally! *passes out from adorableness*
There's no place like home...except the Housepets home page.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

SuperStar wrote:So many people are posting that haven't been around. I wonder what the occasion is, :roll:
This tends to happen with King-centered arcs. ;)
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

D-Rock wrote:
SuperStar wrote:So many people are posting that haven't been around. I wonder what the occasion is, :roll:
This tends to happen with King-centered arcs. ;)
Yeah, I know, :roll:
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

SuperStar wrote:
NoSoyFurry wrote:
ascdren wrote:No, just no. No no no no no.
Did I mention no?
But can we consider this for a second? Olive doesn't resemble King or Bailey.
I know it's probably not genetically correct, but she resembles Bailey, but with a mix of brown to the dark gray.
This comic has Grape in it. Cats with purple fur are impossible. Genetics can take a hike.

It's probably going by cartoon logic on how heredity works.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Buster wrote:Cats with purple fur are impossible.
no

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Dissension wrote:
Buster wrote:Cats with purple fur are impossible.
no
We hace a saying in spain: "Eres más raro que un perro verde"(You're weirder than a green dog) though sometimes the color is purple (morado) and the dog is a cat.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Arvanas wrote:As far as I'm concerned and am proven wrong. Those puppies have the souls of Dragon and Pete in them.
I think GK is the "teaching people a lesson" type of trickster, not the "really a bit of a jerk" kind. And I suspect he considers style worth at least 8/10 points.

Putting Pete and Dragon into the puppies would be *tacky*. I could see Pete doing that. Not GK.
valerio wrote:as puppies all dogs are floppy-eared. ALL of them
Newborns, maybe, but these are four months old. Adjusting for HP! animals, Google Image Searches for "two month old husky puppies" and "two month old corgi puppies" don't show many floppy ears.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Carlitosfmc

Post by Carlitosfmc »

Hahaha, I loved those puppies, so cute!

Nice story, and more members for the wolf family!

Now I want to see how other characters from the neighborhood react, specially Fox :D
drivernjax

Post by drivernjax »

Carlitosfmc wrote:Hahaha, I loved those puppies, so cute!

Now I want to see how other characters from the neighborhood react, specially Fox :D
Nah, Bino. You KNOW how much he loves King.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Carlitosfmc wrote:Hahaha, I loved those puppies, so cute!

Judging how 4 months zwipped by, I'm sure they've all already reacted.
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

I still feel bad for the Doctor that King called in. I mean, what was the point of even having that guy around if the Wolves were all confident in doing it themselves in the first place? :|
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

CosmicCoyote wrote:
...though this talk about ages does make me wonder. Is King a 20-something year old dog? Or is he the equivalent to a 20-something year old would be as a dog?
I believe it was stated a while ago that he's the equivalent of a human in their 20s.

Lets make some very general statements about that now. Last I checked (which was a long while ago), the average human lifespan is 80 years. Pets in this universe live 40 if well cared for.

Let's assume that Joel was very early twenties, that's a quarter of his life. So with that, the easy answer is that King is around 10 years old. Of course, that's assuming that the maturity rate remains proportional as well.
MrBlueSky7 wrote:I still feel bad for the Doctor that King called in. I mean, what was the point of even having that guy around if the Wolves were all confident in doing it themselves in the first place? :|
Remember the fact that King was human. If a couple decided to give birth in their own home (honestly, wouldn't doubt that there are those that want to do that), a concerned spouse is likely to at least bring in a medical professional. Heck, I wouldn't doubt that a normal pet owner would do the same for a whelping pet. The wolves had instinct on their side, but King wanted to be on the safe side. It just became a case of instinct vs. acquired knowledge.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

D-Rock wrote: Let's assume that Joel was very early twenties, that's a quarter of his life. So with that, the easy answer is that King is around 10 years old. Of course, that's assuming that the maturity rate remains proportional as well.
No. Because 1 year is 3.5 years for a pet, that is Rickonfirmed. So King would be more around 5-7. If he was 10 then he'd be 35.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

That is a piece of information that I missed.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If 1 human year is 3.5 pet years, and Joel is in his early 20s (say 23), then King would be 80.5. So I'm not sure what you mean when you say that 1 human year is 3.5 pet years.
Gesque

Post by Gesque »

In my opinion, there's some strong evidence in this comic that Pete and Dragon were reincarnated into Bailey and King's puppies. But before I mention why, I need to bring up this comic from 2014, Meanwhile in Heaven. Here, we see Dragon refer to Pete as, "his big sister." Sort of weird line, because whether or not Pete and Dragon are related isn't brought up in the comic prior to this strip. That's somewhat important.

Flash back to 2015, and we see King and Bailey have three puppies. The firstborn is Olive, a girl. The secondborn is Ace, also a girl. The final child is Rook, King's only son.
  • The obvious connections in names are to King; Ace and King are both cards in a deck, while King and Rook are both chess pieces. (As someone else in the thread mentioned, the Rook and the King piece have a special maneuver in chess that they can only preform together. I believe the term is "castling," but I'm a fairly novice chess player.) Of course, these names don't draw a connection to Spirit Dragon or Pete. OR DO THEY?!
  • Olive is a shade of green. The shade that is almost identical (if not wholly identical) to Dragon's body. You can compare a panel of Dragon to the color olive for yourself. To me, all of these "coincidences" seem to point at the fact that Dragon was reincarnated into Olive.
  • Rook is the only boy in the group, and he's also the youngest by several minutes/seconds. This means that Pete would have likely been reincarnated into Rook, which would mean that there's GK-levels of irony in "Pete's" new name. Think about it: Pete named Joel "King," and now King just named Pete "Rook." If the theory is true, this also means that Dragon is still Pete's older sister. (Even if its only by a short period of time.) Not to mention the whole, "Rookeries are a mideval part of a castle where hawks and carrier pigeons are roosted," thing. :-P
I've seen two attempts at debunking the "King's pups are Dragon and Pete" theory, so I think its only fair if I provide a reasonable debuking to those reasons. >: )

1) GREAT KITSUNE PROMISED! In Enter Intermission, King seemingly asks GK if Pete and Dragon are going to be reincarnated as his puppies, to which the GK replies "I thought about it, and it'd be funny, but that'd be unfair to Bailey." And so many people seem to be taking the word of a proven trickster in the matter. But as others have pointed out, Kitsune's statue seems to tell a different story. Beneath him, in the only panel in the comic that shows the words on his statue, the phrase, "Or Would It?" is increased onto the base of the statue, seemingly as an add on to the "it'd be unfair to Bailey" bit. So let's take that to mean that it wouldn't be unfair to Bailey. What does the GK mean?

In the comic Consolation Prize, GK lays out what happens to everyone as a result of everyone losing the Cosmic Game. For Dragon and Pete, he notes, "What did our two contestants win? Why, a no-expenses-paid vacation to MORTALITY, which will last a minimum of sixty years--though they won't remember (It's all in the contract)."

If Dragon and Pete don't remember their time as mortals, then it wouldn't really be "unfair to Bailey," since essentially its not Dragon and Pete that they're having to rear; its their souls, sure, and possibly a bit of their personalities but ultimately the pups are and would be separate, unique individuals who would only regain their cosmic memories upon their death (in a minimum of sixty years). (This actually goes back to Pete's concerns in Meanwhile in Heaven, where he worries that mortality, "Will change [him]," but that's sort of a fun connection and not super relevant here.)

2) GREAT KITSUNE SAID SIXTY YEARS As I noted above, when GK was noting the consequences of the Cosmic Game's end in Consolation Prize, he noted that Dragon and Pete would be mortal for a minimum of sixty years. People are taking that to mean that pets are off the table, considering that Housepets seems to use real-world pet lifespans for the most part. (Implied in comics such as A Disease of the Brain.) However, it seems to me that most readers are assuming that GK is referring to rotations of the Earth when he's referring to years. GK is crafting and coy, and he could very well interpret his own clause as "Dog years" if he wanted to, which would equate to a minimum lifespan of roughly 9 or 10 "human years," or revolutions around the sun. After all, GK is a trickster, but he's not cruel. Plus what demigod GM wants to go sixty years without his gaming group?!

Those are my thoughts on the topic, any way. :D
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

D-Rock wrote:Lets make some very general statements about that now. Last I checked (which was a long while ago), the average human lifespan is 80 years. Pets in this universe live 40 if well cared for.
You're not wrong. Unless this has been thrown out of canon, Sabrina mentions it in one of the side-pieces.

https://www.housepetscomic.com/2010/11/ ... can-nomad/
I may have neglected to mention beforehand: most animals in our world have significantly longer lifespans and smaller litter numbers than in your own. It’s still not the length of a human lifespan for most—elephants still only live about eighty years, and most ungulates still hover around forty and approach fifty, but dogs and cats also live up to forty years, though in the wild that number is often closer to fifteen. On average, anyway.
I just don't remember anything said about King in particular as far as his age goes. Rick probably has, but I don't feel like picking through it all.
Gesque wrote:2) GREAT KITSUNE SAID SIXTY YEARS As I noted above, when GK was noting the consequences of the Cosmic Game's end in Consolation Prize, he noted that Dragon and Pete would be mortal for a minimum of sixty years. People are taking that to mean that pets are off the table, considering that Housepets seems to use real-world pet lifespans for the most part. (Implied in comics such as A Disease of the Brain.) However, it seems to me that most readers are assuming that GK is referring to rotations of the Earth when he's referring to years. GK is crafting and coy, and he could very well interpret his own clause as "Dog years" if he wanted to, which would equate to a minimum lifespan of roughly 9 or 10 "human years," or revolutions around the sun. After all, GK is a trickster, but he's not cruel. Plus what demigod GM wants to go sixty years without his gaming group?!
You do realize that 60 years for Kitsune is something like... a few minutes, if that, right? The "Game's" 7000-year time frame is basically a single couple-hour gaming session for the celestials. Not to mention here Pete basically laughs off 100,000 years, because of his subjective time frame. Indeed, Pete's biggest problem with mortality (besides the whole losing to Dragon thing) is that he won't remember his immortal self while in mortal form (and his consequently nigh-infinite temporal frame of reference), and so 60 years actually feels like... 60 years.

And well, 60 years would be quite old for a dog, in this universe, if we're going by Sabrina.

I have a feeling that the theory's going to linger until we actually happen to run into Pete and Dragon's mortal forms, but who knows when that'll be.
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

Gesque wrote:In the comic Consolation Prize, GK lays out what happens to everyone as a result of everyone losing the Cosmic Game. For Dragon and Pete, he notes, "What did our two contestants win? Why, a no-expenses-paid vacation to MORTALITY, which will last a minimum of sixty years--though they won't remember (It's all in the contract)."

If Dragon and Pete don't remember their time as mortals, then it wouldn't really be "unfair to Bailey," since essentially its not Dragon and Pete that they're having to rear; its their souls, sure, and possibly a bit of their personalities but ultimately the pups are and would be separate, unique individuals who would only regain their cosmic memories upon their death (in a minimum of sixty years). (This actually goes back to Pete's concerns in Meanwhile in Heaven, where he worries that mortality, "Will change [him]," but that's sort of a fun connection and not super relevant here.)
For some reason this means that GK can go for them if he gets into a game or trouble. That GK is tracking them always. :?
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
Bill in OK

Post by Bill in OK »

Gesque wrote:In my opinion, there's some strong evidence in this comic that Pete and Dragon were reincarnated into Bailey and King's puppies. But before I mention why, I need to bring up this comic from 2014, Meanwhile in Heaven. Here, we see Dragon refer to Pete as, "his big sister." Sort of weird line, because whether or not Pete and Dragon are related isn't brought up in the comic prior to this strip. That's somewhat important.

Flash back to 2015, and we see King and Bailey have three puppies. The firstborn is Olive, a girl. The secondborn is Ace, also a girl. The final child is Rook, King's only son.
  • The obvious connections in names are to King; Ace and King are both cards in a deck, while King and Rook are both chess pieces. (As someone else in the thread mentioned, the Rook and the King piece have a special maneuver in chess that they can only preform together. I believe the term is "castling," but I'm a fairly novice chess player.) Of course, these names don't draw a connection to Spirit Dragon or Pete. OR DO THEY?!
  • Olive is a shade of green. The shade that is almost identical (if not wholly identical) to Dragon's body. You can compare a panel of Dragon to the color olive for yourself. To me, all of these "coincidences" seem to point at the fact that Dragon was reincarnated into Olive.
  • Rook is the only boy in the group, and he's also the youngest by several minutes/seconds. This means that Pete would have likely been reincarnated into Rook, which would mean that there's GK-levels of irony in "Pete's" new name. Think about it: Pete named Joel "King," and now King just named Pete "Rook." If the theory is true, this also means that Dragon is still Pete's older sister. (Even if its only by a short period of time.) Not to mention the whole, "Rookeries are a mideval part of a castle where hawks and carrier pigeons are roosted," thing. :-P
I've seen two attempts at debunking the "King's pups are Dragon and Pete" theory, so I think its only fair if I provide a reasonable debuking to those reasons. >: )

1) GREAT KITSUNE PROMISED! In Enter Intermission, King seemingly asks GK if Pete and Dragon are going to be reincarnated as his puppies, to which the GK replies "I thought about it, and it'd be funny, but that'd be unfair to Bailey." And so many people seem to be taking the word of a proven trickster in the matter. But as others have pointed out, Kitsune's statue seems to tell a different story. Beneath him, in the only panel in the comic that shows the words on his statue, the phrase, "Or Would It?" is increased onto the base of the statue, seemingly as an add on to the "it'd be unfair to Bailey" bit. So let's take that to mean that it wouldn't be unfair to Bailey. What does the GK mean?

In the comic Consolation Prize, GK lays out what happens to everyone as a result of everyone losing the Cosmic Game. For Dragon and Pete, he notes, "What did our two contestants win? Why, a no-expenses-paid vacation to MORTALITY, which will last a minimum of sixty years--though they won't remember (It's all in the contract)."

2) GREAT KITSUNE SAID SIXTY YEARS As I noted above, when GK was noting the consequences of the Cosmic Game's end in Consolation Prize, he noted that Dragon and Pete would be mortal for a minimum of sixty years. People are taking that to mean that pets are off the table, considering that Housepets seems to use real-world pet lifespans for the most part. (Implied in comics such as A Disease of the Brain.) However, it seems to me that most readers are assuming that GK is referring to rotations of the Earth when he's referring to years. GK is crafting and coy, and he could very well interpret his own clause as "Dog years" if he wanted to, which would equate to a minimum lifespan of roughly 9 or 10 "human years," or revolutions around the sun. After all, GK is a trickster, but he's not cruel. Plus what demigod GM wants to go sixty years without his gaming group?!

Those are my thoughts on the topic, any way. :D
A good analysis. I would add a thought of my own: It seems only fitting that the "punishment" for Pete and Dragon would be to be incarnated as King and Bailey's children. Not that K&B would mistreat them, but would teach them their own values and judgments, and who better for that lesson than Bailey? Given that both of them were immature, adolescent, and arrogant, they could stand to learn a few lessons about humility and respect. The GK indicated it wouldn't be fair to Bailey, but he didn't say that it wouldn't be fair to Pete & Dragon to be raised by Bailey.

Just my own take on the picture. But none of my predictions for the comic have ever been borne out.
King looks an awful lot like my own Corgi. That's one reason why he's my favorite, but I also like his attitude.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Even if Kingley wouldn't mistreat their pups and would probably never know that they were Dragon and Pete were their children or that they would know who they were, I don't think Rick would risk a fan revolt by angry fans by making it happen especially since Kitsune had said that he thought about it but decided it wouldn't be fair to them after all they went through and I think that many fans would agree with that sentiment.
NeoWolf

Post by NeoWolf »

They...are...finally...here.
Bailey and King got the greatest Christmas gift of all: children. :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

And in a few years they will have to deal with bratty toddlers who always think that no means yes!
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:And in a few years they will have to deal with bratty toddlers who always think that no means yes!
Then, use reverse psychology. :P
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Except that they think that EVERYTHING means yes and there is no such thing as the word no.
Leomon2004

Post by Leomon2004 »

House42 wrote:Ssh... Don't spoil the magic...
That reminded me of something.

D-Rock wrote:
CosmicCoyote wrote:
...though this talk about ages does make me wonder. Is King a 20-something year old dog? Or is he the equivalent to a 20-something year old would be as a dog?
I believe it was stated a while ago that he's the equivalent of a human in their 20s.

Lets make some very general statements about that now. Last I checked (which was a long while ago), the average human lifespan is 80 years. Pets in this universe live 40 if well cared for.

Let's assume that Joel was very early twenties, that's a quarter of his life. So with that, the easy answer is that King is around 10 years old. Of course, that's assuming that the maturity rate remains proportional as well.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I feel that most people can do both actually. LOL
drivernjax

Post by drivernjax »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:And in a few years they will have to deal with bratty toddlers who always think that no means yes!
Or at the very least, no means maybe.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

But maybe always means yes don't you know? ;)
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Except that they think that EVERYTHING means yes and there is no such thing as the word no.
Then at least you can make them eat vegetables :P
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That will be the online time they will understand the meaning then.

Kid psychology is hard.