Housepets! Tails of Babylon! * Developer's Thread *

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Douglas Collier

Re: Housepets! The game.

Post by Douglas Collier »

I think that'll work as long as the enemy isn't a cat or a ferret.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

Douglas Collier wrote:I think that'll work as long as the enemy isn't a cat or a ferret.

The bears in the demo would definetely not be kind to Spo, doubt the slimes would either.
King as Red (Pokemon) Avatar By CHAOKOCartoons!
ImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Of course the enemies won't be nice to them, their in a fight. The idea is that Spo is small, and can't be caught easily.
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

SuperStar wrote:Of course the enemies won't be nice to them, their in a fight. The idea is that Spo is small, and can't be caught easily.
You guys disagree with my ideas instantly but dont dislike one that would just plain not work? ._.

throwing a mouse would do nothing but kill the mouse. literally any enemy would decimate spo.
ImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

For the compendium, got this. Didn't even make a sketch, straight into digital. Somewhat modeled it after my phone. Also took the Feral Raccoon, changed its hue to a really bright blue, and added an unfocus blur, then shrunk it down to fit. The screen itself I tried to emulate how it looked in game. Thoughts?
Attachments
compendium concept.png
compendium concept.png (40.19 KiB) Viewed 14089 times
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

KingFan202 wrote:

Chao why you do this orange font. Its so uughh to read! XD
This any better? :P
KingFan202 wrote:
SuperStar wrote:Of course the enemies won't be nice to them, their in a fight. The idea is that Spo is small, and can't be caught easily.
You guys disagree with my ideas instantly but dont dislike one that would just plain not work? ._.

throwing a mouse would do nothing but kill the mouse. literally any enemy would decimate spo.
You must remember that this is A: a cartoony world, and B: A game with turn based combat. By the logic of both together this would be slightly plausible. Plus, it could be programmed to have a high chance of failure to represent the logical result of what would happen. Though I'm not sure what or how Spo would be able to do anything once on them. At the most I can see him doing minor damage or causing blindness. :?
D-Rock wrote:For the compendium, got this. Didn't even make a sketch, straight into digital. Somewhat modeled it after my phone. Also took the Feral Raccoon, changed its hue to a really bright blue, and added an unfocus blur, then shrunk it down to fit. The screen itself I tried to emulate how it looked in game. Thoughts?
That looks super rad! :)
ImageImageImageImage
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Nice job, D-Rock. :)
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

That compendium looks amazing! Though, why a pokedex exactly? I mean, like, it's suppose to be like a D&D book in reference to U&U. I don't have a problem with it being digital, we just need a good explanation.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

...more modern way of playing the game :?:

We've seen Pete play the game on a computer, so I guess that could work as justification. Some sort of app, maybe. Plus, as it filled as we went along, I thought it would be weird for it to be a physical book that starts empty. Granted, it's a celestial object, so that may be possible.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

KingFan202 wrote:

I'm sorry if it seems that way KingFan, but the only reason I've dismissed your ideas is because it isn't practical for the game engine. It's not the matter of it being a bad idea, as it is that it's just impossible more or less.
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

D-Rock wrote:For the compendium, got this. Didn't even make a sketch, straight into digital. Somewhat modeled it after my phone. Also took the Feral Raccoon, changed its hue to a really bright blue, and added an unfocus blur, then shrunk it down to fit. The screen itself I tried to emulate how it looked in game. Thoughts?
THIS LOOKS SO CLOSE TO MY PHONE WITH THE CASE ON XD

Its fine star, glad we worked that out.

But if you insist on throwing Spo, I think a damage over time would work if its supported in the engine... like his bites them and clings on causing constant damage
ImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

KingFan202 wrote:

But if you insist on throwing Spo, I think a damage over time would work if its supported in the engine... like his bites them and clings on causing constant damage
That, uh, is what I said.
SuperStar wrote:So, I have this idea for a Skill for Fido, you guys let me know what you think.
It's called "Spo Missile", simply put(despite how unplausible it is) Fido fires Spo at the enemy, and he remains on the enemy for the next couple turns, causing damage or stat effects.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

KingFan202 wrote:
Samsung Galaxy S2? That's what mine is, and used as reference. Ultra-simplified, but it works.
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

SuperStar wrote:
KingFan202 wrote:

That, uh, is what I said.
SuperStar wrote:So, I have this idea for a Skill for Fido, you guys let me know what you think.
It's called "Spo Missile", simply put(despite how unplausible it is) Fido fires Spo at the enemy, and he remains on the enemy for the next couple turns, causing damage or stat effects.

yea sorry my bad xD when i read it the first time i didnt think about the damage. just was thinking "how is spo gonna survive"
D-Rock wrote:
KingFan202 wrote:
Samsung Galaxy S2? That's what mine is, and used as reference. Ultra-simplified, but it works.
nah its a ZTE ZMAX with the case on, the picture reminds me of it.
ImageImage
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That actually looks totally cool D-Rock! Wonderful job!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

The Spo missile is neat. Heck, we can also throw in the "Spo banter", which causes confusion since no one can see him =P

Thought of Fido's specialty: Crowd clearing attacks. He's going to be the guy that can sweep down more than one monster.

On another note: Decided to make it so the cap for learning skills is at Level 60. King, Tarot and Zach are likely going to have the most skills in the game. the others will have an average 10-20 TP skills.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

I posted yesterday, yet somehow it disappeared... :?

Anyways, here's what I said:
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:
D-Rock wrote:
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:I just finished playing your version of the demo (I'll call it the "Final Pet Mix" :P ) and WOW was that fun! Everything seems so balanced, and every fight had it's own level of difficulty because of it! Truth be told that was the first time I actually struggled with the Ancient Gargoyle, but it felt like a fair fight. I also liked how Tarot's combat style worked, it pretty much forced you to use up your magic to deal damage, so you had to be sparce with her power and use the Nutri-Pets every now and then.

Though I have to say, the pet mix is almost useless once you get to level 10, as Peanut has 1000+ health and Grape has 750+ health. We should try to increase the amount healing items give you, or at least give out more whole milks. And there should definitely be an item that gives you TP, even though it restores overtime. Just to give you the option really, but they could cost quite a bit.

Now about the game length and level cap, we should keep it at Level 99 or 100 because of the after game Shadow bosses. And seeing that this first chapter takes about one and a half hours, the next should take 2-3 due to the fact that you go through both Peanut and Grape's day. That there is about 4-5 hours within 2 chapters (minus side quests). I propose that the story be around 7-10 chapters. Making the main game 18-25 hours. The after game will depend on your skill at finding fighting the shadows, and then defeating the Shadow Celestial so I'm not sure how long that will take.

IF that's okay with everyone else :)

Also if you're gonna work on King's moveset, you should hear out Kingfan's ideas. He seems really eager to design king.
Wow. Aiming for quite the long experience. Count me in for that! And about the Fruit Mix, maybe after a certain level, it's better off as vendor stuff. But the way I tend to play these games, even if I have high level healing items, I use the low-level ones first, so as to get the most out of my items.
Wait wait wait, that's a miss-calcuation. The average time of completion for 7 chapters would be 10.5 hours, and for 10 chapters it would be 15 hours. The side quests would probably add a good 2-5 hours to the game (depending on how many there are).

True that, I do always stock on low level healing items, but I only use them out of combat to restore stats. Using them in combat is useless due to the amount of damage dealt by enemies. This is also just a demo, so I haven't really had the need to do any elaborate item usage just yet. :)
Personally, I wouldn't mind 20-25 hours.

I think the main game should be 10 regular chapters and a final chapter, then the post game should take about the length of 3-5 more chapters.

Also, if the game's continuable at the end, think we should release additional post-game content in the form of updates and DLC?
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Ok, change of plans for me this week:

My focus is on Peanut, Grape, Max and Tarot. Going to finalize their four moves first before thinking about the others, then move onto probably Fido, Bino, King and Zach for their skill sets. Amusingly, I figured I fill up the 'classes' names for them, too - Housedog, Housecat, House Alleycat, and Psychic Dog.

After looking over the items we designed for a bit as well, no one minds if I change the stats on those? I won't touch the descriptions or anything since I think they are awesome as it is. I just wanna retool them for balancing purposes.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

That's genius GameCobra!!! Though, I think it'll be simpler for Max if it's just "Alley cat", to keep things even persay. What would King be called?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I like to call Max an alleycat, too, but he's technically a housecat. I might call him a Wild Housecat :3

Some thoughts for King: The Human Corgi, Husband and Wolf Corgi
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Wait, it's simple! Just call him "Half-Feral" !!!

King, maybe "Dogman"?
Honorable Intentions

Post by Honorable Intentions »

Wow this is probably the furthest I've seen any of these Housepet game ideas go. This is awesome guys! :D

After playing through the demo I really did not notice anything that other people have pointed out, as far as JRPG style games go it was enjoyable.

Just a random thought that popped into my head, specifically concerning classes and a way to "spice up" gameplay. If I recall in comic, Pete planned on making King a "Dark Paladin" or some such class. Now I'm not experienced with RPG Maker (picked up with the humble bundle and have been playing with it to see what it can do), but I realized King could have a unique trait among the characters.

According to Pete, Dark Paladins get stronger the more miserable they are. I figured one of two things. If possible to implement you could a) Create a third meter for King -- a rage meter -- and have it fill as he takes damage. He could use it for special Rage attacks and buffs or b) have it as a passive effect in battle. King's attack slowly rises as he takes damage. For balancing issues, you could simply cap it after a certain amount, and raise the cap as he levels up.

If such a mechanic is possible to implement, I bet other classes have unique possibilities. Like if Peanut is your "Paladog" then you can build a Paladin meter as he takes damage, but these attacks are primarily defense and healing buffs for both him and the party. Or if there is a rogue give them a "stealth meter" that builds when other characters attack or "take the attention off of him" so they could perform special thief moves like steal an item.

Like I said, I don't know the program all that well yet, and I might see if there is a way to implement such a thing in engine myself just so you don't focus on chasing your tail around a gameplay mechanic. :lol: Either way, just food for thought.
At the end of the day I often think about what I have done for the world. What I have changed, perhaps made better or worse. I then sit at a computer for hours and look at pictures of cats.

RP Character:
Lucky Abbot: S-9 P-6 E-7 C-6 I-7 A-4 L-3
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

It can't, but no worries about the Dark PAaldin stuff. infact, that's where the DArk magic comes in for King.

The trick here, though, is most of King's Dark magic will be cheap and supportive, but have penalties. His Earth magic won't be cheap, but have no penalties. I also found a neat idea to include stuff from the Wolves into the Earth magic. For example, Earth cubs (who pound someone :3)

Calling Maxwell Half-Feral seems odd, but the Half-Feral idea is going to be in his skillset. He got a claw attack, double claw attack and a mega swipe :3
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

There should be an equip-able feather item that gives the wearer a special wolf themed attack. You know?

Anyway, the Rage meter is too complicated, and TP practically already works like that with filling up from enemy damage(among other things).
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Liking the progress being made. Good idea on bringing up classes. While it doesn't serve a true purpose, it is a fun thing to add. Not sure on King at all, really. Max described himself as a half-feral in the comic, so that would work. Curious as to the others.

King, Tarot, and Zach with the most abilities? Makes sense with Tarot and Zach, as they've both been spellcasters, and King, I can see him improvising for skills.

Speaking of Zach, we've only seen him use one spell. Would "Cast Light" do damage, or only cause blindness? Then I thought that if we give him a type of "Light Foot" attack, it could do damage, but have a lower chance of blinding than Cast Light. Give players the task of choosing between a good chance of blinding with no damage, or do damage with only a small chance of blinding. Also, it'd be interesting to justify him being a Red Mage, as was suggested before, as aren't Cleric classes typically White mages? Or maybe as he's not far into it, he could pick up other types of spells.

And about items that grant skills when equipped, that sounds really cool! Golden Sun had things like that, I just never used them, as they completely replaced the skillsets that the wielder already had. We brought up species-specific items, but not skill-granting items, so neat idea! How about the feather teach "Wolf Hunt", tackle and slash attack. Would it be possible to make an attack take "agility" into account as well as their attack stat, or is that something the engine can't do?

And Kitsune, the idea of DLC is a long way coming, as I think we want to write the story, first. Though I like that idea.
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

SuperStar wrote:Wait, it's simple! Just call him "Half-Feral" !!!

King, maybe "Dogman"?

Yes XD "Dog Man"

GameCobra wrote:It can't, but no worries about the Dark PAaldin stuff. infact, that's where the DArk magic comes in for King.

The trick here, though, is most of King's Dark magic will be cheap and supportive, but have penalties. His Earth magic won't be cheap, but have no penalties. I also found a neat idea to include stuff from the Wolves into the Earth magic. For example, Earth cubs (who pound someone :3)

Calling Maxwell Half-Feral seems odd, but the Half-Feral idea is going to be in his skillset. He got a claw attack, double claw attack and a mega swipe :3
but as for a dark mage, Not really feelin it.

Hes the smallest dog so he could be the 'assassin' sort of RPG class. Quick and nimble.
ImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

SuperStar wrote:There should be an equip-able feather item that gives the wearer a special wolf themed attack. You know?
Now that is a swell idea. May even have feather collars :3

Actually, speaking of shopping ideas, I think the three merchants to go to in this game should be: Cory for collars, Truck and Falstad for general items and Jack for the armor. See a pattern here? :D

New changes and ideas: I buffed Tarot's collar to give her +5 MAT and MDE and removed the DEF it gave. I also gave her the awesome (and funny) ability to summon a Mace that gets as powerful as her MATK goes up. Yet it does physical damage. Whaaaaaaa~ *Explodes*

I thought of an cool and easy to add idea to add a upgraded personal collar for every character per chapter, but it's hidden somewhere. First chapter is a gimme and already equipped. I'll leave where the collars are hidden up to you guys, but i'll add the collars in the system tonight. Most likely in their own house or somehow in someone else's house. The bonuses are worth it. Otherwise, buy it from Jack :3
Kingfan202 wrote:but as for a dark mage, Not really feelin it.

Hes the smallest dog so he could be the 'assassin' sort of RPG class. Quick and nimble.
He'll be quick and nimble, that's for sure, but I wouldn't consider him an assassin - though the more i mess around with him, he comes closer to damage than support, so we'll have to wait and see. That being said, that's why I was planning on giving him the ability to buff his shovels with elemental powers in the first place. Tarot will be magical, but King will be physical - with some exceptions.

Regarding earlier on what you said about love powers - I'm going to try to see if there is a way to develop Party specific abilities. There appears to be ways to put in a command that requires events to do this, but no promises until i try :3
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

GameCobra wrote:
SuperStar wrote:There should be an equip-able feather item that gives the wearer a special wolf themed attack. You know?
Now that is a swell idea. May even have feather collars :3

Actually, speaking of shopping ideas, I think the three merchants to go to in this game should be: Cory for collars, Truck and Falstad for general items and Jack for the armor. See a pattern here? :D

New changes and ideas: I buffed Tarot's collar to give her +5 MAT and MDE and removed the DEF it gave. I also gave her the awesome (and funny) ability to summon a Mace that gets as powerful as her MATK goes up. Yet it does physical damage. Whaaaaaaa~ *Explodes*

I thought of an cool and easy to add idea to add a upgraded personal collar for every character per chapter, but it's hidden somewhere. First chapter is a gimme and already equipped. I'll leave where the collars are hidden up to you guys, but i'll add the collars in the system tonight. Most likely in their own house or somehow in someone else's house. The bonuses are worth it. Otherwise, buy it from Jack :3
Kingfan202 wrote:but as for a dark mage, Not really feelin it.

He'll be quick and nimble, that's for sure, but I wouldn't consider him an assassin - though the more i mess around with him, he comes closer to damage than support, so we'll have to wait and see. That being said, that's why I was planning on giving him the ability to buff his shovels with elemental powers in the first place. Tarot will be magical, but King will be physical - with some exceptions.

Regarding earlier on what you said about love powers - I'm going to try to see if there is a way to develop Party specific abilities. There appears to be ways to put in a command that requires events to do this, but no promises until i try :3
Alright cool! I just think King should be a melee type, not really any sort of magic lol

good luck with the love powers testing!
ImageImage
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

So then King would be a "Battle Mage"? I can dig that. :)
ImageImageImageImage
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:So then King would be a "Battle Mage"? I can dig that. :)

Im not even trying to make them look good XD just derping around.
ImageImage
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Even so, holy CRAP those look good!
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I feel like the other characters would fight for King, either because he's so cute, or so helpless. Maybe he could have a morale boost or a double attack buff effect on other characters?
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Even so, holy CRAP those look good!
I used ChaoKO's King Faces as well, So big thanks too him for making those xD

The stuff i learned in my photoshop class is way more amazing than cropping a head onto stuff XD!
ImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I want to try to make it so he can buff people like Peanut and Bailey to do good elemental damage and himself. I got a funny idea to have King buff himself to be bigger, strong, but lose all of that speed. X3

he should be able to buff Peanut's and Bailey's multi strike moves with his buffs. Grape, Max and other characters will likely not get as much impact out of it as them. Granted, I gotta make sure Bailey doesn't hit too hard once i get the time to work on her =P
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

GameCobra wrote:I want to try to make it so he can buff people like Peanut and Bailey to do good elemental damage and himself. I got a funny idea to have King buff himself to be bigger, strong, but lose all of that speed. X3

he should be able to buff Peanut's and Bailey's multi strike moves with his buffs. Grape, Max and other characters will likely not get as much impact out of it as them. Granted, I gotta make sure Bailey doesn't hit too hard once i get the time to work on her =P

We are working on this /together/ bud. lol
ImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

GameCobra wrote:I want to try to make it so he can buff people like Peanut and Bailey to do good elemental damage and himself. I got a funny idea to have King buff himself to be bigger, strong, but lose all of that speed. X3

How come only Peanut and Bailey, though? Although that self-buff idea is pretty funny, like how he made himself taller when he went to Heaven. I actually thought that he could learn a spell to become Joel for the duration of a battle, gaining those buffs, but that idea was almost immediately shot down. This sounds like a much more believable alternative. :)

So, bringing in thoughts about Fido's weapons. Here's the count so far, two complete, two sketched. I'll actually get to sketching the Monster and Ultimate next, so that leaves four more to make. And here is where I'd like opinions.

I was going to base the remaining ones on existing models. Maybe enchanted versions, to keep that little bit of fantasy to them (and to justify not having to spend a turn reloading).

First I thought of making one based on the Beretta 93r, though only government agencies are allowed to even import them. They're apparently no longer produced in the US. But like I said, enchanted, we could go for that if you guys think that can justify it.

Second is a Gyrojet pistol, a weapon that had a really short production life due to very poor performance, but is considered a collectors item. I think enchantment is the only way to make it any good, considering the myriad of problems it had, and that it could only fire one type of ammunition, which is no longer in production as well.

Next up is the Ruger MK 2, again, no longer in production, and expensive. According to my book, its typical ammunition has low stopping power. I could work that into non-lethal bullets rather easily.

Fourth one, instead of a flintlock, will be this. Justification? Precious metals are often enchanted in fantasy settings I've come across. Maybe it was a souvenir from a celestial that made it enchanted, like how Star made Peanut's Marble something that belonged to the Frost Giant.

So...thoughts?
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

D-Rock wrote:

How come only Peanut and Bailey, though? Although that self-buff idea is pretty funny, like how he made himself taller when he went to Heaven. I actually thought that he could learn a spell to become Joel for the duration of a battle, gaining those buffs, but that idea was almost immediately shot down. This sounds like a much more believable alternative. :)

So, bringing in thoughts about Fido's weapons. Here's the count so far, two complete, two sketched. I'll actually get to sketching the Monster and Ultimate next, so that leaves four more to make. And here is where I'd like opinions.

I was going to base the remaining ones on existing models. Maybe enchanted versions, to keep that little bit of fantasy to them (and to justify not having to spend a turn reloading).

First I thought of making one based on the Beretta 93r, though only government agencies are allowed to even import them. They're apparently no longer produced in the US. But like I said, enchanted, we could go for that if you guys think that can justify it.

Second is a Gyrojet pistol, a weapon that had a really short production life due to very poor performance, but is considered a collectors item. I think enchantment is the only way to make it any good, considering the myriad of problems it had, and that it could only fire one type of ammunition, which is no longer in production as well.

Next up is the Ruger MK 2, again, no longer in production, and expensive. According to my book, its typical ammunition has low stopping power. I could work that into non-lethal bullets rather easily.

Fourth one, instead of a flintlock, will be this. Justification? Precious metals are often enchanted in fantasy settings I've come across. Maybe it was a souvenir from a celestial that made it enchanted, like how Star made Peanut's Marble something that belonged to the Frost Giant.

So...thoughts?
I'd like Game Cobra to actually talk to me more, But i feel like hes just ignoring me.

Heres an idea for some guns, This dudes are ones i really like. ^

Something of this style could be used as the ultimate version of Fidos gun(s). ^

this is another style of gun that could be used, looks pretty cool. ^
ImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

I'm sorry, I really can't tell the difference between guns, :? So I can't say. But do what you want, if you want to enchant the gun, go right ahead. If you want a Golden pistol, go right ahead.
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

SuperStar wrote:I'm sorry, I really can't tell the difference between guns, :? So I can't say. But do what you want, if you want to enchant the gun, go right ahead. If you want a Golden pistol, go right ahead.
So what did you think of my suggestions.
ImageImage
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I agree with Kingfan in the sense that the guns should be more stylized as they go on, or at least look less realistic.
ImageImageImageImage