Arc #32: The Dog Days of Summer

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Re: Arc #32: The Dog Days of Summer

Post by Typhon »

The Game wrote:Wait a second...I just realized...
If The Spirit Dragon is just using Tarot's body, is there any actual dog Tarot somewhere?
The real tarot is in stasis. Along with Gordan Freeman, Elvis Presley, and Michael Jackson.
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

Typhon wrote:
The Game wrote:Wait a second...I just realized...
If The Spirit Dragon is just using Tarot's body, is there any actual dog Tarot somewhere?
The real tarot is in stasis. Along with Gordan Freeman, Elvis Presley, and Michael Jackson.
Don't forget Bruce Lee, in another universe they all are held on Dracula's Moon Base. (Bruce jumped there)

I really hope after this arc Tarot remains her usual indescribable self. She was my favorite character BEFORE dragon.
* My Steam Account * My DA (writing) *
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Hooray, yet another mind-bending plot twist. You never know what to expect with Housepets!
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

zeekgenateer wrote: I really hope after this arc Tarot remains her usual indescribable self. She was my favorite character BEFORE dragon.
I was pretty bummed. Tarot was weird BEFORE, but it was an acceptable degree of weird...
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

"GM" stands for "Grape Master"
ImageImage
ImageImage
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I thought it stood for "Google Maps." o.O Your expansion of the initials makes much more sense!

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

All you n00bs need to go out and try DnD or Shadowrun or any other tabletop RPG. You're missing out on the potential for hilarious inside jokes with your friends. None of which will be appropriate on these PG forums.
* My Steam Account * My DA (writing) *
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Also, grand master, Greater Manchester, guided missile, General Mills, General Motors, or game moderator.

And the jokes might be appropriate for a PG forum depending on the kinds of friends you have. Heck, I most certainly don't have PG friends, but our D&D inside jokes are pretty tame.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
YoruOokami

Post by YoruOokami »

chess123mate wrote:The way I see it is that Tarot still exists as we know/knew her, it's just that the spirit-dragon is using her as an avatar to communicate with the others (specifically Pete at the moment). It's like the dragon is borrowing her physical form - they are still two separate characters/individuals.
That was pretty much how I was taking it too, but based on what people are saying, and what I found out when researching how the word is usually used, it sounds like it is just a form the dragon takes. Too bad, I was hoping Pete's human form was actually a real person, b/c that character design is made up of 9 layers of win.

And gotta say, I love the 8th panel XD
tikian12

Post by tikian12 »

HOLY CRAP I'VE GOT IT! The GM is Daisy!
Corpy

Post by Corpy »

I am inclined to agree with chess123mate. The character description of Tarot says that she doesn't explain the inconsistent use of her powers which would lead me to suspect that she is simply controlled by the dragon at different times (when her eyes are green). But based on what I saw and, as Yoru said, the definition of the word avatar it would seem that Tarot is the Spirit Dragon and not simply controlled by the Dragon intermittently.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Corpy wrote:I am inclined to agree with chess123mate. The character description of Tarot says that she doesn't explain the inconsistent use of her powers which would lead me to suspect that she is simply controlled by the dragon at different times (when her eyes are green). But based on what I saw and, as Yoru said, the definition of the word avatar it would seem that Tarot is the Spirit Dragon and not simply controlled by the Dragon intermittently.
The inconsistency could be explained by the fact that the Dragon is Role Playing as Tarot and is doing it deliberately or it could be something to do with the rules that we don't know. (Which might explain why Pete is in trouble he maybe using his powers to much or in the wrong ways) I think however based on the actual definition of the word Avatar its safe to say that Tarot is the Dragon and is not being controlled by her.
Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Post by Typhon »

I get it!! Tarot's an animorph!! But her alternate form isn't really an animal....hmmm
valerio

Post by valerio »

Housepets! Rule #2: Silly is a fan's status
a.k.a This thread is going to the dogs :shock:
chess123mate

Post by chess123mate »

I would be very disappointed if Tarot and the dragon are the same character. However, looking at previous comic strips, we can see that it doesn't make sense.

For example, when Tarot lost the TV remote/controller, she "called to the spirits" to find it. This would mean that the dragon was calling to itself to solve the problem! That doesn't make sense.

I looked up the definition of avatar and at first I thought you guys were right about the definition suggesting that Tarot and the dragon are the same character. However, analyze this definition:
"a visible manifestation or embodiment of an abstract concept; archetype" (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/avatar)
There were a few others, but they're all similar to that. It could mean, as you suggested, that the spirit-dragon has manifested itself as Tarot, so whenever we see Tarot we are actually seeing the dragon. However, I think that it could also be used to suggest what I'm saying, merely that the dragon is borrowing Tarot's physical form. Just because the dragon has manifested as/in Tarot, that doesn't mean Tarot doesn't exist as a separate individual.

Really, what would you call it if you were the dragon and borrowing Tarot's form? Possession comes to mind, but that's pretty extreme for a comic. Also, it's a negative term that a "nice" spiritual being isn't likely to use, is it?

That's just how I see it.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I think if Rick wanted to imply that they are separate characters then he would have used a different term that is less ambiguous like host or something along those lines which would completely imply what you are saying. (Kind of like the hosts for the Nine tailed beasts in Naruto which i believe is what your implying that Tarot is in a way) I mean I could be wrong on this but I doubt it.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Rick is a very mysterious man, that's all we need to know :3 (when it comes to the comic, that is)
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Indagare

Post by Indagare »

chess123mate wrote:I would be very disappointed if Tarot and the dragon are the same character. However, looking at previous comic strips, we can see that it doesn't make sense.

For example, when Tarot lost the TV remote/controller, she "called to the spirits" to find it. This would mean that the dragon was calling to itself to solve the problem! That doesn't make sense.

I looked up the definition of avatar and at first I thought you guys were right about the definition suggesting that Tarot and the dragon are the same character. However, analyze this definition:
"a visible manifestation or embodiment of an abstract concept; archetype" (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/avatar)
There were a few others, but they're all similar to that. It could mean, as you suggested, that the spirit-dragon has manifested itself as Tarot, so whenever we see Tarot we are actually seeing the dragon. However, I think that it could also be used to suggest what I'm saying, merely that the dragon is borrowing Tarot's physical form. Just because the dragon has manifested as/in Tarot, that doesn't mean Tarot doesn't exist as a separate individual.

Really, what would you call it if you were the dragon and borrowing Tarot's form? Possession comes to mind, but that's pretty extreme for a comic. Also, it's a negative term that a "nice" spiritual being isn't likely to use, is it?

That's just how I see it.
Please see my topic 'Metaphysics and you'. I hope it will help to clear up your quandries.
Image"Remember kids, only you can prevent a fiery apocalypse!"
Jack

Post by Jack »

i know it all along! :U
Jack PFRG - S-10 P-7 E-2 C-8 I-6 A-4 L-5
Nika PFRG - S-4 P-4 E-6 C-10 I-4 A-6 L-8
YoruOokami

Post by YoruOokami »

IceKitsune wrote:I think if Rick wanted to imply that they are separate characters then he would have used a different term that is less ambiguous like host or something along those lines which would completely imply what you are saying. (Kind of like the hosts for the Nine tailed beasts in Naruto which i believe is what your implying that Tarot is in a way) I mean I could be wrong on this but I doubt it.
I agree, and I think the most correct word in that case would have been either host, as you said, or medium, which is someone who channels spirits, allowing them use of their body for a time. But it is possible that Rick wanted to be a bit ambiguous about it, or that he is interpreting the word Avatar in a less traditional way. I'm sure it will become clear in good time, but in the meantime, it's fun to speculate :)
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

Peanut and Grape together cause Tarot is a dragon and Max does something else somewhere else.

It has nothng to do with anything, I'm well aware of that.
I ship Grape&Peanut and support King&Bailey
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

yoyodude wrote:
zeekgenateer wrote: I really hope after this arc Tarot remains her usual indescribable self. She was my favorite character BEFORE dragon.
I was pretty bummed. Tarot was weird BEFORE, but it was an acceptable degree of weird...

I really DON'T like this plot twist at all...
An this is going to cheapen, if not outright ruin Tarot for everyone. She was at her best being a para-normal, An now as an avatar for an all powerful being is completely destorying her cool factor.
An all for yet another attempted D&D joke, but there was nothing left in the D&D well this time.
an the two best, multifaceted, story telling an interesting characters in housepets, King an Tarot. are dragged down if not ruined by this.

It would be best if this strip was removed, an replaced, like the smoking catnip strip was.
Rav/Ravage (RV) - M - German King Shepard: Str-7 Per-6 End-7 Cha-5 Int-5 Agi-6 Luck-6
Foxy Brown (Zootopia) - M - Coyote/RedWolf: Str-6 Per-7 End-6 Cha-4 Int-8 Agi-7 Luck-4
Oreo (RA) - M - Spotted Skunk: Str-5 Per-6 End-6 Cha-5 Int-7 Agi-8 Luck-5
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

HE CHANGED IT, NOW IT SUCKS

*crashes through a window*
ImageImage
ImageImage
Sasothehyena

Post by Sasothehyena »

Hey I like this Arc, it kinda explaines the whole Pete the Gryffin mystery. But it seemed rele random to throw in the D&D twist and not to mention the whole "Tarot Avatar." I just hope he rounds off this lil' segment into something more reasonable.
Derp Derp
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Yeah, most humans are impossible to understand. Their minds are funny and weird and impossible to predict!
Kathode wrote:I resent that!
My human me needs to be quiet. Anyway, copy and pasting my post from the comments:

Rick dares to push the boundaries and do things that he wants to do, something that’s very respectable, commendable, and…well, cool. It’s also hard to do. But you can’t expect every dare to come out 100% every single time.

Now, (saying so at the risk of being stabbed multiple times, it seems) I think some people didn’t like the comic because it was too much of an anticlimax for them, and this broke their willing suspension of disbelief. In other words, it was just a bit too strange for some people to like. I was one of those people, and I voiced that I didn’t like the comic (at least the one without the extra explanation), though I couldn’t yet figure out exactly why, otherwise I would have left much better feedback about what I thought of the comic. I never got upset, nor did I ask Rick to change, remove or add to the comic, and also noted that I was waiting for Friday’s comic to come and surprise twist things in the amazing way that Rick tends to pull. Though I later did note that I maaaaay have been a little bit abrasive, and I quickly apologized for that. :oops: I think many people were only able to bash without merit because, like myself, couldn’t understand why they didn’t like the comic at the time. However, people bashing because they think the comic “Jumped the Shark” or some nonsense need to be whapped upside the head with something, preferably metal, spikes being optional.

I didn’t expect Rick to add more this comic and I was kinda surprised about that; it wasn’t something that he had to do. I feel bad being with the party that made him feel as if he needed to do this.

…but I do like this comic a lot more now. And mini-King is rather cute.

Gah. This post is too long. Sorry.
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Zander

Post by Zander »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwS-__e4b7g
this does not possess any of my views.

i thought it would be funny :3
Fursona! :3

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
-Robert Louis Stevenson
Alex

Post by Alex »

Okay.... Zander, I laughed SO HARD :lol:!!! That was lol funny xD
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

...I just cracked up at 03:05, Zander... :lol:

(Not that I wasn';t laughing beforehand, but that took the cake)
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Zander wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwS-__e4b7g

Oh.

My.

God.

*Is not sure what to make of this, but is laughing uncontrollably all the same*

Hyperbole for the WIN.
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Mika

Post by Mika »

I think one of the rules that the spirit dragon said pete broke was appearing in the world without an avatar...
Staring at Chuck Norris for extended periods of time can cause eye damage and foot sized bruises to the face.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Okay I thought it was going to annoy me but this is actually so true it's hilarious
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
gagi

Post by gagi »

DUDE ... that's so freaking amazing ... not that i agree with the conversation .. but this has to be one of the funniest things ever !!! arff ... awesome !!!
arff
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I was actually surprised to see someone do that for Housepets, but even better at it's execution. well done XD
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Zander

Post by Zander »

GameCobra wrote:I was actually surprised to see someone do that for Housepets, but even better at it's execution. well done XD
That "Someone is me... if you haven't noticed..

-Robert Louis Stevenson
valerio

Post by valerio »

Zander, you Sir are GENIUS!
You win 100 Internets.
And a Bag of Biscuits.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

haha, that's funny as can be, I never laugh at this meme, but this one was really..................

wait what?
Last edited by Kyderra on Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Zander

Post by Zander »

Kyderra wrote:haha, that's funny as can be, I never laugh at this meme, but this one..................

wait what?

lol...

-Robert Louis Stevenson
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Oh. I thought you just linked it XD

I still find it awesome though.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

I love you Zander :3

ROFL. "Kyderra is actually a girl too" Oh my god.
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Oh, come on, people. The plot twists are the very reason I read this comic. I like how we can never expect what happens next, that's what makes it so addicting! The only thing predictable about Housepets! is that it comes out every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I love this arc, and my only concern is whether King will still be King.