Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes: 149

EvilTwin

Re: POLL: So... Who here's a furry?

Post by EvilTwin »

Flamboyant-Pencil wrote:There's a lot more junk art out there than there is good art. Now cut that down into a much, much smaller scope, and of course the amount of worth while furry artwork seems really tiny.
I have to agree with this one. It's highly visible within furry art as most of it is "amateur" for want of a better word and the internet has no quality barrier. As with anything the variation in quality of work is both massive and rather subjective.
In an attempt to maintain the topic I am indeed something of a furry, although as I'm sure has been pointed out the label is fairly loose at the best of times and varies according to definition.
May you lead an interesting life.
Ozzy - S5 P7 E4 C3 I10 A8 L5
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

I've seen my share of bad artwork lol. But even some of the worst is better than mine, so I can't say much.
I ship Grape&Peanut and support King&Bailey
Kayota

Post by Kayota »

I'm a scarlet macaw. -thumbsup-
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

Kayota wrote:I'm a scarlet macaw. -thumbsup-
I'm a white wolf.
ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

Dr. Prower wrote:
Kayota wrote:I'm a scarlet macaw. -thumbsup-
I'm a white wolf.
I'm a Siberian Husky. My girlfriend's a cream Tabby cat.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm a human.

OK, fine. I "am" an arctic fox. Also, scarlet macaw? Thumbs up? Now you're just cussing with us.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

I don't have any single "fursona"--I create all different characters and use them for different purposes.
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

ChewyChewy wrote:I don't have any single "fursona"--I create all different characters and use them for different purposes.
I have a fursona, and do that.
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

I just recently obtained my fursona. Funny thing is, I wasn't even really trying to, it just happened lol.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I only really have a fursona in the sense that I chose the arctic fox as the species by which to be represented. And I just decided what I wanted one of such characters to generally look like. I don't really roleplay, and if I did I would play different characters anyway.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

I'm not sure yet if Kyderra suits my fursona.
he might not be fluffy enough, what do you guys think, suits me, or got suggestions for something else?
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

I yam tIgUr!!!!!! =3
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Kyderra wrote:I'm not sure yet if Kyderra suits my fursona.
he might not be fluffy enough, what do you guys think, suits me, or got suggestions for something else?
I like your avatar xD
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Dusty wrote:
Kyderra wrote:I'm not sure yet if Kyderra suits my fursona.
I like your avatar xD
mm, perhaps in the future ill redraw him in my own style, that should be fun to see :)
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Flamboyant-Pencil

Post by Flamboyant-Pencil »

Unless your character is just you, only a furry, I don't consider most fursonas "fursonas." Which is why I have such difficulty keeping hold of one, cos I forget the "furry" part of the equation exists :B
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

ctcmjh wrote:I drew my fursona.
yay!
ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

ctcmjh wrote:
Dr. Prower wrote:
ctcmjh wrote:I drew my fursona.
yay!
Updated version! Now with better tail!
...uh...um...I...

Access forbidden *ears droop*
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

I yam a fuzzi littul tigur! *roar*
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
D-Singer

Post by D-Singer »

Despite the fact that the clear definition of ‘furry’ has always evaded me, I guess that I could say that I am...Because judging by the way most people act, I’d conclude just enjoying comics like housepets could define you as furry? :|
Richardson Valley RP: Blood
Edge City RP: Zaya & Cruiser
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Well, I consider myself a furry (I have already posted that in this thread ya I know) since the day I learned to wag my tail.

wait... what?
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

D-Singer wrote:Despite the fact that the clear definition of ‘furry’ has always evaded me, I guess that I could say that I am...Because judging by the way most people act, I’d conclude just enjoying comics like housepets could define you as furry? :|
Could is the key word there.

It depends on what you think, really.
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
FoxBoy

Post by FoxBoy »

I'm a furry fennec fox. Still a little new to the furry fandom, so I don't know a lot about it yet.
D-Singer

Post by D-Singer »

Buckdida wrote:
D-Singer wrote:Despite the fact that the clear definition of ‘furry’ has always evaded me, I guess that I could say that I am...Because judging by the way most people act, I’d conclude just enjoying comics like housepets could define you as furry? :|
Could is the key word there.

It depends on what you think, really.
Whenever I go by the philosophy of ‘what you think’ in this aspect, it tends to just come back and bite me in the...erm…tail? Because as it turns out, ‘what you think’ is only relative to the individual, and I find in this fandom it would be far more confiding to have a base definition to go by, rather than having to deal with numerous and insane opinions coming from every person furry or not.

Then again, if that were the case...I’m pretty sure people would continue to defend their first [and or] insane opinions anyways. Because that’s how humans are... -_-‘

Might as well just stick with what you see is best defining for you and be satisfied. Or if you’re like me, and live around insane people like me, you can do that and just keep it to yourself.
Richardson Valley RP: Blood
Edge City RP: Zaya & Cruiser

Post by Quote »

I feel like I wasn't supposed to post here.
Four times previous to this I tried to and had somebody come in and start reading over my shoulder (Alt+F4, Alt+F4!!!).
But finally, I've got some privacy.

I am, sadly, probably as generic as it gets in all regards...
I know that's a bad way to phrase it, but it's true.

My on-again off-again fursona has been a... you guessed it... North American red fox.
It's on-again off-again because I've had some little "adventures" where I tried to find something different to fit - I tried other fur, I tried feathers, and I tried scales, but I and the friends I trust with the fact agree that my original idea probably fit me best.

I dunno why I didn't mention this in my intro post when I first joined: my truest friends call me Mel.
Short for Caramel, it was a name dubbed to me by probably the closest I'll ever have to a girlfriend.

I got into all of this business early on - it started with an old Sega Genesis game (Shining Force) which featured a few anthro characters. I didn't know what it was called at the time, but you can imagine that I tried to emulate them whenever possible.

Anywho, nice try, Fate, but I win this round (I just heard somebody get back home... I finished this not a moment too soon).
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Aww, don't feel bad about being a red fox. As long as it's not the reason you chose it, who cares if it's what everyone's doing? I'm a fox and if I ever get called out on it (and I haven't yet), I would just say, "I like foxes, and if I shouldn't change to fit in with the crowd, why should I change to avoid it?"

Also, sounds like someone's really secretive about his furriness.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Sleet wrote:Aww, don't feel bad about being a red fox. As long as it's not the reason you chose it, who cares if it's what everyone's doing? I'm a fox and if I ever get called out on it (and I haven't yet), I would just say, "I like foxes, and if I shouldn't change to fit in with the crowd, why should I change to avoid it?"
Wow. :D *applauds*

That is SUCH a great way of putting it! You should be yourself, even if what you are happens to be similar to what others are, just as you should if what you are is different.
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

Sleet wrote:Aww, don't feel bad about being a red fox. As long as it's not the reason you chose it, who cares if it's what everyone's doing? I'm a fox and if I ever get called out on it (and I haven't yet), I would just say, "I like foxes, and if I shouldn't change to fit in with the crowd, why should I change to avoid it?"

Also, sounds like someone's really secretive about his furriness.
I am also secretive about my furriness. Only my girlfriend (also a furry) and two of my friends know (one of which is a furry). I've chosen to take a "Don't ask, don't tell" approach to it, minus the "don't ask" part. I don't tell anybody about me being a furry unless they ask.

As for how I chose my fursona, a Siberian Husky, I simply think they're gorgeous dogs and I've always wanted one! Also, I enjoy the cold and tend to act like a dog, so it fit. My girlfriend chose hers because she likes cats, and she thinks cream is a pretty color for fur.

Post by Quote »

Sleet wrote:Also, sounds like someone's really secretive about his furriness.
I am devastatingly insecure about just about all facets of my personality, so I keep as much as possible hidden from people unless I know them through and through. Honestly, secrets with me are like a bartering system - two of the people I've told in real life, I've told only because they told me a secret of theirs that I viewed as more... well, secretive.

Also, the community around here is pretty small, and pretty.... for lack of a better term... redneck.
Within a short while the town would know, except it'd have gone from an innocent, "So-and-so's a furry" to some monstrous, disproportionate rumor that made me out to be some sort of vile abomination.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

...you know, do half of your friends even know what a furry is? Mine certanely don't. As I've mentioned, I don't consider myself a furry...but whenever one see's me on a furry website, (except for a few exceptions) they're first thought often isn't anything to do with furry's. The only friends who know what a furry is are the ones that watch yu-gi-oh the abrideged series. I've asked in general to a large number, do they know what a furry is...and the majority don't.

Also, E-Zero, what do you mean by the community being redneck? I honestly don't have a clue what you mean by that.
Alex

Post by Alex »

44R0NM10 wrote:Also, E-Zero, what do you mean by the community being redneck? I honestly don't have a clue what you mean by that.
I don't think he means our community, Housepets, that is. Sounds to me like he's talking about the community of the place where he lives.

Also, none of my friends know what a furry is. Really none.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Most of my friends have some idea what a furry is. I'm sure most of them have gotten the idea, but I've never outright told anyone, nor has anyone specifically made it clear that they know I'm a furry. And I don't really care if they do or not. I'm not ashamed, but at the same time I have nothing to gain from anyone else knowing.
44R0NM10 wrote:Also, E-Zero, what do you mean by the community being redneck? I honestly don't have a clue what you mean by that.
"Redneck" is a derogatory term referring to a resident of southern USA, usually of the lower class. Among other stereotypes, intolerance of those who are different is commonly associated with such people. I assume that's what he was implying about his area.
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

Tobee wrote:Well, I consider myself a furry (I have already posted that in this thread ya I know) since the day I learned to wag my tail.

wait... what?
lol...tail...

Post by Quote »

Yes, all of my friends know what furries are. And not just the stereotype, they get the whole thing.
Some don't seem to approve, at all.

And oh lord, no, not THIS community. I meant my real-life community.
Sleet nailed it head-on, even though I live up north.
Intolerance is pretty common around here, although nobody ever does anything drastic.
It's just kinda like excommunication.
Flamboyant-Pencil

Quote-Man, I have to day right now I love you more than anyone on thsi forum because you are so obviously a Cave-Story fan.

Also I don't really get why the community has these hang-ups on "cliche" animal characters. I mean yeah, if you NEVER try making a character that doesn't fit x descriptor, there's a little unoriginality going on, but just because my character is a Y and your character is a Y, that doesn't make out Y's the same. That's like saying all wizards are the same or all sci-fi story protagonists are the same or something. It's just more self-drama the fandom itself creates :v

(Note, I have more foxy characters than any other kind of animal, though they're all pretty different.)
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Ah, well thanks. To be honest, my question was more towards "Does England just not care about furries?" Guessing from the differance, I'm guessing you're not from USA Alex (not saying you're English, but still). Kind've answers my question unless you say otherwise.

Also, jeeze. A community like that seems rather...painful E-Zero.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Well, Vanity Fair is American, CSI is American...

Actually, that probably has nothing to do with it. I think it's more your local communities being different, not your entire countries.
Flamboyant-Pencil

Still, our media doesn't really show furries in a positive light. Name one TV show that concerned furries in a positive, or even neutral light.
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

The problem isn't just for furries, its the entire "nerdy/geeky" counterculture. Some parts are more accepted than others, but the people who go to cons and cosplay all get raised eyebrows. I used to be of the same opinion that nearly everyone at cons are crazy. I still think some people are a bit too into it for their own good, but the same can be said of many sports fans (or fans of a certain book series).

I don't know what will make people who identify with this stuff more accepted by the mainstream, but frankly I've never really cared bout acceptance in anything I've done. It's frustrating with friends not understanding, but if they don't are they really friends or just acquaintances you hang out with?
* My Steam Account * My DA (writing) *
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know