Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:I know all the secrets though. :D
What's the cheapest dual-wielding combo in Halo 2 then?
If you want my number, it's #804080.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Mickey the Luxray wrote:
Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:I know all the secrets though. :D
What's the cheapest dual-wielding combo in Halo 2 then?
Plasma pistol and Magnum
MrNeonShot wrote:Nobody has halo?
I dislike Halo very much
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

I bought Beyond Good and Evil and Xenosaga Episode 1 the other day. They're really fun.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

As you can see, I really like stories with a.i in them. especially Halo.
Cortana going through rampancy was really sad to me.
No matter what Chief did, he couldn't save her.
Apparently he's trying to make a new cortana, but I have a feeling that could end up like Astroboy.
The creator never got his son back, it just reminded him of what he lost.
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
The Grey Wolverine

Wait, people liked Cortana? Friends of mine like halo, and none of them liked cortana, or cared about her, maybe that's just us.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Either dual needlers or needler with plasma rifle, since the plasma takes out shields and the needles home In and detonate you. My favorite weapon is the sniper. :lol:
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

The whole point of halo 4 is to save Cortana.
I liked Cortana. She was useful.
But I think the best a.i is Tex, from Red vs Blue.
Wouldn't it be cool if there was a halo game, where you played as M.C and helped Wash and the rest fight off a bunch of promethians?
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
TheAdamBo

Post by TheAdamBo »

Just got Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix. Easily my most anticipated game of this year.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:Wait, people liked Cortana? Friends of mine like halo, and none of them liked cortana, or cared about her, maybe that's just us.
Me and a friend played through Halo 4 entirely on the day of release at the same house on splitscreen.

The added 'emotions' were just meh. I was more saddened by everyone's lack of respect for the Chief. I mean, both he and Cortana are getting older, but he's still the strongest infantry the UNSC has. I didn't care one bit for Cortana, but I was always quite saddened by how people stopped respecting the chief, and how he just took it. Sgt. Johnson had respect for Chief, albeit that grew in each game...but here, none of the commanding officers had any respect for Chief at all. Heck, in Halo 3, Johnson had complete faith that Chief could stop the flood from destroying the universe. In Halo 4, people didn't have faith in half the stuff Chief did.

Cortana's lack of emotional control just got annoying to me. Not quite as annoying as how she impaired your vision in Halo 3, but close. I've never liked her.

That's just how I came off after playing the game though, personally.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Rest in peace, Hiroshi Yamauchi. :(
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

44R0NM10 wrote:
The Grey Wolverine wrote:Wait, people liked Cortana? Friends of mine like halo, and none of them liked cortana, or cared about her, maybe that's just us.
Me and a friend played through Halo 4 entirely on the day of release at the same house on splitscreen.

The added 'emotions' were just meh. I was more saddened by everyone's lack of respect for the Chief. I mean, both he and Cortana are getting older, but he's still the strongest infantry the UNSC has. I didn't care one bit for Cortana, but I was always quite saddened by how people stopped respecting the chief, and how he just took it. Sgt. Johnson had respect for Chief, albeit that grew in each game...but here, none of the commanding officers had any respect for Chief at all. Heck, in Halo 3, Johnson had complete faith that Chief could stop the flood from destroying the universe. In Halo 4, people didn't have faith in half the stuff Chief did.

Cortana's lack of emotional control just got annoying to me. Not quite as annoying as how she impaired your vision in Halo 3, but close. I've never liked her.

That's just how I came off after playing the game though, personally.
There was only 2 commanding officers, and only one of them disliked Chief, calling him an aging Spartan.
Because, the new Spartans were on board of the ship at the same time.
The entire game took place within 2 days, and the Spartans were busy with another corner of the game.

Anyways, I agree that it was annoying, but then if the change in the behavior of the people DIDN'T happen, it would just be another call of duty.

On a side note. Freckles (from red vs. blue) pointed out that disrespecting a commanding officer is punishable by death.
Probably just an exaggeration, but I like to take it seriously.
The Grey Wolverine

I never could make myself finish Halo 4, I was so bored by the whole thing, it's such a dull combat system, you get some fun weapons, the overdesigned alien weapons, and the Promethiun weapons I never used
Mickey the Luxray

The Grey Wolverine wrote:I never could make myself finish Halo 4, I was so bored by the whole thing, it's such a dull combat system, you get some fun weapons, the overdesigned alien weapons, and the Promethiun weapons I never used
I agree, Halo's combat system is heavily outdated. If it wants to compete with the likes of Battlefield 4, Overgrowth and Mirror's Edge 2, it's gonna take a complete revamp of the system.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Mickey the Luxray wrote:
The Grey Wolverine wrote:I never could make myself finish Halo 4, I was so bored by the whole thing, it's such a dull combat system, you get some fun weapons, the overdesigned alien weapons, and the Promethiun weapons I never used
I agree, Halo's combat system is heavily outdated. If it wants to compete with the likes of Battlefield 4, Overgrowth and Mirror's Edge 2, it's gonna take a complete revamp of the system.
...you're comparing a first person shooter...with a first person shooter that is very similar, just more complicated and punishing...a 3rd person action game that is kinda like a very punishing brawler mixed with a platformer...and a first person free running game...

And seriously, the only thing that Halo does that's similar to older first person shooters (in the multiplayer) is leave the power weapons on the map in specific places. Halo 4 had loadouts just like battlefield and CoD. The gamemodes are very similar, if not the exact same, only Battlefield has larger maps generally. All the games have their own fun, different gamemodes too (CoD has Zombies, Halo has pretty much anything due to it's incredible map-making system and gamemode customization...not to mention firefight in Reach, and Sparton Ops in Halo 4...and Battlefield really doesn't have any unique gamemodes like that, thinking about it)(though tell me if I'm wrong with this).

But quite honestly, first person shooters like Battlefield and CoD are much more repetitive than Halo in the story mode. In Halo, there's a lot of different enemies that you need to defeat in different ways. If you want you can just spray and pray, sure, but some enemies are much easier to kill with headshots so precision weapons are required (for more in-depth, grunts take pretty much no damage from automatic weapons, so you need a precision weapon to drop them quickly. Brutes can be defeated with with either automatic or precision, though if they're close and rushing you, an automatic weapon will likely be your best bet. Jackals are easiest to kill with melee, if you can get close enough. If they're sniping, use a long range precision weapon as well. Then you get hunters that you really should try and save your grenades for. If not, melee and automatic weapons will be your best bet). With CoD and Battlefield, every enemy is the same colour of human and uses pretty much the same one or two guns... I have trouble understand how you think Halo is more dull than Battlefield, and this is coming from the guy who's played them all.

So yeah, call it boring if you like (that's all for opinion anyway), but you can't call it a dull combat system when it's infinitely more complex than 'shoot the next grey coloured marine.'. Besides, we can all agree that all the first person shooters mentioned so far are better than 'Medal of Honor: Warfighter'. :P
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Just played GoldenEye online on Wii and after much cursing and changing settings decided to use the Gamecube control instead of the Wiimote. It's just poor and much easier to play it like older games.
TheAdamBo

Post by TheAdamBo »

I've been playing the latest PS3 incarnation of Twisted Metal. The game is freaking awesome, but it breaks my heart that nobody plays it online.
On a side note, is anybody getting GTA5? I've been hearing some awesome things about it.
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

GTA 5 is good, better than the other GTA games and much more open, but I prefer the level of customization in Gary's Mod. I can do anything, ANYTHING! :twisted:
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

Sleet wrote:Rest in peace, Hiroshi Yamauchi. :(
He was a good man. :cry:
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

We of NOE and NOA will miss him deeply. :cry: (Nintendo Of Europe, Nintendo of America)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Just played GoldenEye online on Wii and after much cursing and changing settings decided to use the Gamecube control instead of the Wiimote. It's just poor and much easier to play it like older games.
Well the game was designed for a normal controller. I imagine that's the kind of controller it'd work best with!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I think the one thing Halo needs to be the greatest FPS, is the crumbling buildings in Battlefield 3.
That would be awesome.

Yeah, you may think that Halo is getting a bit old, but Master Chief has 2 games left before he DIES.
(and it SUCKS that I have to get an Xbox One to play it.)
Call of Duty, and Battlefield has no end, which ticks me off.
But, I think we can all agree, that Destiny is going to be a pretty boss game.
I might get a PS4 and watch game play of the last 2 games.

Although I'll miss it, Microsoft just tanked with the Xbox One.
The only cool thing would be the recording and the new kinect. I would rather just but it separately, though.
Mickey the Luxray

[quote="44R0NM10"][quote="Mickey the Luxray"][quote="The Grey Wolverine"]I never could make myself finish Halo 4, I was so bored by the whole thing, it's such a dull combat system, you get some fun weapons, the overdesigned alien weapons, and the Promethiun weapons I never used[/quote]

I agree, Halo's combat system is heavily outdated. If it wants to compete with the likes of Battlefield 4, Overgrowth and Mirror's Edge 2, it's gonna take a complete revamp of the system.[/quote]

...you're comparing a first person shooter...with a first person shooter that is very similar, just more complicated and punishing...a 3rd person action game that is kinda like a very punishing brawler mixed with a platformer...and a first person free running game...

And seriously, the only thing that Halo does that's similar to older first person shooters (in the multiplayer) is leave the power weapons on the map in specific places. Halo 4 had loadouts just like battlefield and CoD. The gamemodes are very similar, if not the exact same, only Battlefield has larger maps generally. All the games have their own fun, different gamemodes too (CoD has Zombies, Halo has pretty much anything due to it's incredible map-making system and gamemode customization...not to mention firefight in Reach, and Sparton Ops in Halo 4...and Battlefield really doesn't have any unique gamemodes like that, thinking about it)(though tell me if I'm wrong with this).

But quite honestly, first person shooters like Battlefield and CoD are much more repetitive than Halo in the story mode. In Halo, there's a lot of different enemies that you need to defeat in different ways. If you want you can just spray and pray, sure, but some enemies are much easier to kill with headshots so precision weapons are required (for more in-depth, grunts take pretty much no damage from automatic weapons, so you need a precision weapon to drop them quickly. Brutes can be defeated with with either automatic or precision, though if they're close and rushing you, an automatic weapon will likely be your best bet. Jackals are easiest to kill with melee, if you can get close enough. If they're sniping, use a long range precision weapon as well. Then you get hunters that you really should try and save your grenades for. If not, melee and automatic weapons will be your best bet). With CoD and Battlefield, every enemy is the same colour of human and uses pretty much the same one or two guns... I have trouble understand how you think Halo is more dull than Battlefield, and this is coming from the guy who's played them all.

So yeah, call it boring if you like (that's all for opinion anyway), but you can't call it a dull combat system when it's infinitely more complex than 'shoot the next grey coloured marine.'. Besides, we can all agree that all the first person shooters mentioned so far are better than 'Medal of Honor: Warfighter'. :P
[/quote]

Yet again I suffer from a case of "I can't word anything correctly." I meant to say that the gunplay of Halo is outdated, but not boring. I like the variety of enemies and such but how the guns behave feels so... archaic. Straight out of 1998, if you will. Gunplay has evolved, and I don't see why 343 is reluctant to do something interesting with it either. Infinity Ward has balanced out snipers by ending quickscoping and boosting assault rifles and SMGs in Ghosts (which is looking better and better the more I see of it). DICE made a counter to knives and improved the usefulness of classes in BF4. Halo isn't changing much other than new weapons and equipment which somewhat disappoints me.
Ah, but what does it matter, I won't be buying an XB-1 anyway.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Same here.
Microsoft is a greedy company.
I wonder what would happen if Microsoft's xbox branch completely fell?
I would think 343 industry's would take Master Chief somewhere else.

So, starting another discussion, what if there was a Game where it takes all the Super Smash Bros. characters, and made a 3rd person game out of it?
Made an actual story line, and added voice actors?
Mickey the Luxray

MrNeonShot wrote:So, starting another discussion, what if there was a Game where it takes all the Super Smash Bros. characters, and made a 3rd person game out of it?
Made an actual story line, and added voice actors?
It could happen! That'd be pretty fun even though I don't play SSB.
Duster

Post by Duster »

MrNeonShot wrote:Same here.
Microsoft is a greedy company.
I wonder what would happen if Microsoft's xbox branch completely fell?
I would think 343 industry's would take Master Chief somewhere else.
It would have already happened if Bungie had their way with things. I'm a fan of the Halo series, I've been one for years now, probably since halo 2. I'll keep playing halo until Master Chief retires. Other than that, I'm a fair weathered friend when it comes to Microsoft. Lately, they have been rather hard-set upon alienating their user-base. (Both on console and PC)
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
The Grey Wolverine

44R0NM10 wrote:Sorry Aaron, compressing this here for space
Halo has always had a few things I hate in its combat, and no, I do not think that Battlefield, or COD are superior, I like COD like junk food, it's a guilty pleasure, and Battlefield to me has always had great multiplayer that I looooove, and the single player in BF3 was a waste of time but whatever. Halo is just dull to me because of one MAJOR thing: the weapons, and I mean this by that statement.

I have never found the guns in Halo to be that good, they have some impact, some have decent noise to them really, but there are SO MANY of them that are just pew pew pea shooters that I hate using, so I restrict myself to using ones I find fun to use, like the shotgun, magnum, sniper rifle, rocket launcher ect. most of the full auto weapons feel so weak and I really hate using them, and all of the alien weapons just bother me half the time anyways, they have so many glowy bits and go "Pew pew pew pew" to the point where I have not used that many since Halo 3.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

You just listed all of the human weapons.
Do you like any of the alien weapons Covenant or Promethean?
The Grey Wolverine

Honestly, noooooooooooo
not in any way, shape or form, I hated all of the alien weapons I kept coming across, because I never felt power from the things at all, at least some human guns have impact
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Sleet wrote:
Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Just played GoldenEye online on Wii and after much cursing and changing settings decided to use the Gamecube control instead of the Wiimote. It's just poor and much easier to play it like older games.
Well the game was designed for a normal controller. I imagine that's the kind of controller it'd work best with!
Actually the remake was made to be used by the wiimote, they changed the game considerably to do it. But then it works best with the classic and GameCube controllers.
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:Honestly, noooooooooooo
not in any way, shape or form, I hated all of the alien weapons I kept coming across, because I never felt power from the things at all, at least some human guns have impact
If you like guns with impact, try 'Black'. Your speakers shake just from using the starting pistol! The grenades are a little weedy, at least the way you throw them is, but everything else about the game is really good too.
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Finally sent Project X Zone back to Gamefly. I didn't beat it, but oh well.

Now i'm playing the new Mario and Luigi and GTA.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I thought the Scattershot was a pretty powerful shotgun.
At least it had more range.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:Honestly, noooooooooooo
That's really interesting to me. I loved the style of the Promethean weapons, right down to how reloading some of them involved them completely falling apart, hovering in mid air for a second, and then coming back in to form a gun. Not to mention how with the powerful Promethean weaponry, enemies literally disintegrated upon getting hit with them. Heck the boltshot pistol (that you can use in your loadout) had an overcharge ability that was a 1-shot kill in point blank range and the incineration cannon...that thing was deadly.

The other thing you said about wanting the shotgun or RPG...well, that's a mechanic Halo has that is similar to older first person shooters. You start with weapons that just aren't as good as the weapons scattered across the map that spawn in specific areas. You can play an entire match of Halo with your starter weapons, and still be the MVP, so it's not as bad as with older first person shooters, but still. I mean, in Halo 4 they reward you with them if you want upon killing enough enemies, capping enough objectives etc in the form of orbital drops, but if you don't like that system there's nothing anybody can do to change that, heh.

and Mickey, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sensing your problem with Halo's combat is how you can't look down the sights. Sorry, I've not really looked into the Battlefield 4 trailers at all, although it'll be nice to not just always use the engineer class in BF3...also, Halo not changing? Just look at how much has evolved from Halo 3 to Halo 4. Then look at how much CoD 4 has evolved with CoD ghosts. You'll find one is almost the same, just with a new coating of paint, whilst the other has been given loads of new toys, from armour abilities to loadouts to episodic campaigns (with Sparton Ops.). Not to mention Halo tampered with RTS style gameplay in Halo Wars, and even a unique story telling experience with Halo: ODST (I know neither of them were really well-received, but that doesn't change how the game exist). This is all one one generation of consoles. CoD has stuck to the exact same formula, and Battlefield hasn't changed nearly as much as Halo has over the past 7 years.
The Grey Wolverine

I have 2 issues with your post in all honesty, the first thing is this:
Halo is NOT like older FPSs, like, at all. And here's why: two weapon loadouts, Shadow Warrior is a great game with a bunch of guns yu get your hands on all at once, the issue with those was always finding ammo for the guns, they were all about exploring, you might have ammo for your SMG, but if you have a rocket launcher, you need to search like crazy to get any ammo for it, they didn't throw ammo at you because the game knew you had 8 other guns to use, and the supplies were around, armor, weapons, ammo, health, all were in the levels, but you needed to explore and look for it, it was great in the level design area. Halo has half decent level design, but they seem to just toss some ammo at you like there's no tomorrow, because they KNOW you only have 2 weapons

And the other thing is a note about Battlefield, it has changed, but for the worse on my opinion, the campaign is a weak aspect of the games and the multiplayer is missing some of the fun and depth of Battlefield 2 simply because they have to develop for consoles at the same time as PC due to hardware issues really but oh well

I see what you mean about the alien weapons, but seriously, I don't want to see a "cool looking"* animation for a reload because I am just reloading my weapon, it's just a waste of time to me to look at it and say "Oooooh, pretty animation" when I want to reload my weapon, ya get what I mean? It's just boring to be to sit through the animation just to watch my guns reload, I just want to SHOOT them at stuff, I play first person shooters to shoot at stuff, I don't want to be fed a story unless you are Bioshock, otherwise, give me gameplay, I don't care what the chief is up to, he is boring and I really want to just shoot at stuff, I do not want to waste my time with the crap story and universe of Halo

*that is subjective, I hate the animations
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Master Chief falls into the same hole Superman does for some people. Too powerful, and the audience knows he can beat anything in his way. Kinda why Batman is so well known, since he can still beat everything in his way but he doesn't ever do it with ease. In that respect, Superman's strengths come from how his story follows being the last of your race, and being different from everyone around him. Halo doesn't have such talented writers...and, in my opinion, focusing on Cortana didn't strengthen the story much. That's just my opinion though.

Also, apologies, I seem to have no been clear enough. I don't think Halo is anything like an old shooter, I made that clear in my first post on this area. If you ever played Unreal Tournament in the multiplayer though, you know you don't want to stick to the weapon you spawned with. In Halo 3 in particular, memorizing the weapon spawns was crucial. In CoD and Battlefield, the only weapons you have are the ones you start with, and the ones you take from the enemy after killing them. In Halo, you spawn with weapons that are simply less powerful than the weapons that spawn on the map. Some gamemodes, this is not the case (since you spawn with more powerful weapons), but in standard deathmatch and objective-based mutiplayer gameplay you need to find those power weapons. This is like older games.

Sorry for not being clear
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I don't know, the SMG is still pretty good for distractions and suppressing enemies, and its good in CQB when paired with a plasma rifle. most people I find tend to just spam sniper rifles and rockets, and vehicles are never used as a result. I have never seen anyone willingly use the magnum online. :?
Who needs the scorpion when you have the Scarab Gun? :lol: I love that Easter egg, it makes you unstoppable, exempt on legendary but then your not likely to get it anyway. Did anyone else find it on Halo 2?
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I just got Halo 2.
Working on the story mode right now.
I wish Halo 4 added Blood Gulch back to its roster.
That one is open, and awesome to drive.
The Grey Wolverine

44R0NM10 wrote:The message of Aaron
Nah, it's fine dude, I understand now, thanks for clearing it up, also, the writing of Halo is just so awful, but so many people are like "No, it's actually really god, but you need to read these 7 books to get anything good out of it!"

Here's a hint, if you need supplementary reading material to get a good story out of something that is self contained, the story sucks.

Also Blood Gulch was the best map in the game, it was straight forward.

Also, and I the only one who feels that Forge mode kinda ruined the game?
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Blood Gulch is amazing, although I enjoyed Valhalla just as much if I'm honest. I found it to be a good spiritual successor, you know?

I need to ask, Wolverine, what makes you think that? I thought forge made it the greatest console FPS in terms of custom games because of that.

(And kyuubi, I think you're right with how the magnum isn't as powerful as the plasma pistol or boltshot...but, I think that's because the boltshot can insta-kill, and the plasma pistol can EMP/take down all your armour. The magnum has the best range, and single shot damage, but is beaten by any primary precision weapon, so there's not much need for it, yeah.)
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I liked blood gulch but always got slaughtered on it by some nut with a rocket and tank. Maybe now I'm more skilled the shoe will be on the other foot? And the version in Halo two I did much better on, maybe due to the energy sword and some skilled banshee flying.
Last edited by Kyuunado on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.