Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

The Grey Wolverine

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Dubiousity wrote:All I'm saying is why not try the first game while you can get it for free? There's no risk of you having made a bad investment if you don't like the game.
Your point is very valid, I don't like to lose arguments.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Wanderer wrote:You could always get it for free.
I haven't bought a game for a while.
You could just download most games for free you know.
Except console games but you could get them for a much cheaper price online
I do not condone piracy.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I'm okay with piracy under very select conditions. As those conditions can't really be applied to 99.9% of the people who pirate games, I generally just say that I'm against it.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Sorry, but I'm not going to buy a 20 year old game when its no longer being made and costs like $500 on ebay.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Wanderer wrote:Sorry, but I'm not going to buy a 20 year old game when its no longer being made and costs like $500 on ebay.
Just the way you said it came across as, "Why buy a game when you can get it free?"
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Fallout 1 was literally free for a day. Actual piracy is not to be discussed here, because it's illegal. You guys should know better.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
The Grey Wolverine

If you want to wait it out, Steam had a %50 sale on the old Fallout games a while back, something to look twords.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Wanderer wrote:Sorry, but I'm not going to buy a 20 year old game when its no longer being made and costs like $500 on ebay.
I don't think any game that costs this much is even worthy even playing. Overrated games are the worst. I've played Skrym, for example, and I didn't like it very much (mostly because I got lost, have no idea where to go at the beggining of the game and the map system is worthless...maybe I should check a "let's play" of it).
BTW, can I play computer games with a ps3 controller it only works with an xbox360 controller?
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

I think you might mean the wired USB XBox Controllers? I have personally never seen one for the PS3, so I guess that will be the case.
exranio

Post by exranio »

PS3 controllers come with cords (I don't know their type) that pug into the ps3 so that they can either be wireless or wired. It's also pretty much the only way to charge them.

Also in order to use a PS3 controller on PC you need to download DS3 tool. I found a tutorial a while back but I'm far to lazy to be that helpful.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

exranio wrote:PS3 controllers come with cords (I don't know their type) that pug into the ps3 so that they can either be wireless or wired. It's also pretty much the only way to charge them.

Also in order to use a PS3 controller on PC you need to download DS3 tool. I found a tutorial a while back but I'm far to lazy to be that helpful.
I jhave the usb wire for the ps3 controller. I'll look for this program. Thanks.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

angelusbr wrote:(mostly because I got lost, have no idea where to go at the beggining of the game and the map system is worthless...maybe I should check a "let's play" of it).
How is the map system 'worthless'? It shows you your location, the location of all tracked quests, and every location (major or minor) that you've discovered or heard about from a villager. And you can fast travel to anywhere that you've been before. I mean, if you didn't like the game, fair enough. But what more did you expect them to give you for a map?
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

KJOokami wrote:
angelusbr wrote:(mostly because I got lost, have no idea where to go at the beggining of the game and the map system is worthless...maybe I should check a "let's play" of it).
How is the map system 'worthless'? It shows you your location, the location of all tracked quests, and every location (major or minor) that you've discovered or heard about from a villager. And you can fast travel to anywhere that you've been before. I mean, if you didn't like the game, fair enough. But what more did you expect them to give you for a map?
The guy said for me to go to a town and the map doesn't siplay said town. Well, one possible exaplanation is that I derailed so much from the right path already that the map can't reach the town. :(
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

Today I went to the flea market and came across an original 60GB model PS3 with backwards compatibility.
I asked the seller about it and he mentioned that it wouldn't read discs, but could still play downloaded games.
After some bartering, I managed to walk away with it for just $45 dollars.

When I got home, we opened it up to take a look. Apparently one of the parts in the drive was misaligned.
So with a quick fix, I now have a backward compatible PS3 to play all my older PS2 and PSone games!

I'll be letting Flint use my old 40GB PS3 in his room.
Ask him to play something with you!
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Wow what a great deal, I wish I had luck like that!
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Dubiousity wrote:Wow what a great deal, I wish I had luck like that!
I couldn't find a good deal on electronics even if one smacked me in the face.

I traded a TomTom GPS for a PSP with my friend the other day. I'm thinking on selling it at some local places but I'm not sure exactly what I could get for it. I'm thinking something like 40 or 50 bucks?
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

angelusbr wrote:The guy said for me to go to a town and the map doesn't siplay said town. Well, one possible exaplanation is that I derailed so much from the right path already that the map can't reach the town. :(
I hate to ask, but did you turn the quest on in quest tracking? Maybe you just missed the place because it wasn't highlighted by the quest tracker? The map is supposed to update whenever you're told about a particular place in a quest or from a random villager. :/

Either that, or your game may have just bugged out for one reason or another. While better than it was on release, as can be expected with any Bethesda game, it's still very much prone to bugs.
Esquire Fox wrote:Today I went to the flea market and came across an original 60GB model PS3 with backwards compatibility.
Whoa, the original PS3s had backwards compatibility? O__O

Whaaaaaaaaat? Not fair.
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

KJOokami wrote: Whoa, the original PS3s had backwards compatibility? O__O

Whaaaaaaaaat? Not fair.
There were two PS3s released during the launch in 2006; the 20GB version for $499, and the 60GB version for $599.
The 20GB version was vastly inferior (no WiFi, no card reader), but both had native hardware-based PS2 emulation.
Because of this, both original PS3 models are capable of playing all games in the PS2 and PSone library.

A year later, an 80GB version was released with software-based emulation and some features removed (Only 2 USB ports, no card reader).
Software-based emulation is the same as what the Xbox 360 uses for backward compatibility. Many games are supported, but there are some bugs.

With the release of the 40GB version, backward compatibility was removed all together.
All further models, including the Slim PS3s, are unable to play older PS2 and PSone games.

I've never actually had a Slim model PS3. My original unit was the 40GB model.
Are there any mayor differences between the later Fat PS3s and the new line of Slim units?
I'd imagine technology has gotten a lot better in the last 6 years, so maybe the Slim models pack some extra power.

What model of PS3 do you guys have? If you don't have one, which would you consider buying?
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I've got the standard (it's the only model I've seen lately) 160GB model.
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

Esquire Fox wrote:There were two PS3s released during the launch in 2006; the 20GB version for $499, and the 60GB version for $599.
The 20GB version was vastly inferior (no WiFi, no card reader), but both had native hardware-based PS2 emulation.
Because of this, both original PS3 models are capable of playing all games in the PS2 and PSone library.

A year later, an 80GB version was released with software-based emulation and some features removed (Only 2 USB ports, no card reader).
Software-based emulation is the same as what the Xbox 360 uses for backward compatibility. Many games are supported, but there are some bugs.

With the release of the 40GB version, backward compatibility was removed all together.
All further models, including the Slim PS3s, are unable to play older PS2 and PSone games.

I've never actually had a Slim model PS3. My original unit was the 40GB model.
Are there any mayor differences between the later Fat PS3s and the new line of Slim units?
I'd imagine technology has gotten a lot better in the last 6 years, so maybe the Slim models pack some extra power.

What model of PS3 do you guys have? If you don't have one, which would you consider buying?
I had a larger modal(80gb non-bc) for the longest time, but ended up running out of space on it, so I had to upgrade to the slim. Slims are quieter and actually run slightly faster while drawing less power. Other than that they are...meh. Still a PS3, but they lose a lot of their cool factor because of the stuff that was pulled, such as the touch sensors for eject and power, now simply buttons on the slim, they also pulled the ability load your own OS, though that became standard for all systems as of some update or another last year so...no major loss I guess.

Overall the pros and cons of the two types negate each other, at least until you start talking about backwards compatibility. Speaking of, all PS3 modals are actually able to play PS1 games BC or not, the only thing BC actually effected was PS2 games. The reason for this being that Sony was still in contract with the people who made the graphics card for the PS2 when the PS3 came out and had to pay them royalties for every PS3 system that could play PS2 games, which is part of why BC modals were so much more expensive, but they didn't have to do so for PS1 games...that said, if you have something else to play them on, spare yourself and do not play PS1 games on your PS3...they look horrible.

Makes me glad I still have my PS2 in full working condition. So much the better to play my PS1 and 2 games on.
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

My old 40gb PS3 started to make some weird noises lately... maybe because of Silent Hill Downpour that is optimized very badly. I hope it will resist, 'cause i don't have money to buy another right now.

And c'mon, i've just preordered Lollipop Chainsaw, if my PS3 dies i'll really get mad to have a game to watch on my shelf :(
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

I just got a beta invite to Super Monday Night combat, and a few keys to go with that if someone would want one. (3) supermnc
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW

Post by 0404 »

Tiggy wrote:I just got a beta invite to Super Monday Night combat, and a few keys to go with that if someone would want one. (3) supermnc
This game reminds me about Teamfortres2, not sayin that it is ripoff or something just remind me of it.
Last edited by 0404 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Tiggy wrote:I just got a beta invite to Super Monday Night combat, and a few keys to go with that if someone would want one. (3) supermnc
Holy crap, I absolutely loved the first game! I had it on my Xbox, and found the combat to be simply amazing. Very unique and all around, an amazing experience. :D

(the game is nothing like TF2... aside from the art style. Halo Reach is more similar to TF2 in terms of gameplay.)
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

It's not close to tf2, imo. The only thing that might resemble tf2 is the fact that there are classes, that might be sort of similar, but that's it.
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I liked the first Monday Night Combat, it was fun running around and 1-shotting everyone with the Assassin grapple.
The Grey Wolverine

I played it over a friend's once and it was a blast, running around making things go BOOM! Heheeh, plus it was balanced well, the TF2 like graphics are always fun and nice to look at, and the game is well balanced. Biggest problem was the tutorial, it was under like options, why? And it didn't let me use anything other than soldier, forgot to tell me I could order more bots for $100, and some other things kin\d of bug me. And were was the fun and personality? Look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gImLuqCFMSA where was that in the game? Fun little bits like that would have made it a bit more fun. Plus, I love the Bacon Mule trailer.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

GameStop makes me so mad sometimes... I went in there to sell my PSP and you know what they offered me for it? 20 DOLLARS.... So I'm going to try and sell it on eBay.
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I usally have good luck with gamestop.
I once went in to sell some games,four or five not very popular titals for the DS.
I expected 7-8 dollars for all of them, but all together they were worth 25 or so.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
The Grey Wolverine

I once got $40 for Grand Torismo 4 on the PS2 a month before GT5 was announced.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Wow.
I have a copy that I got for $10. It used to worth over $40 though, I never knew.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit

Post by 0404 »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:I once got $40 for Grand Torismo 4 on the PS2 a month before GT5 was announced.
Opps I misunderstanded it :p
Last edited by 0404 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Grey Wolverine

No, I didn't buy it for $40, they gave me $40, or t added up to $40 in total, my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I had old PS2 games I didn't want, and I remember GT4 was some crazy high value compared to the rest of it.
FlintTheSquirrel

Gamestop always rips you off with Trade-ins. XP
That is where most of their profit comes is taking trade-ins and selling used copies.
The Grey Wolverine

Which is why the new Playstation ans Xbox will have some feature to ruin used games, so you can't use a friend's copy or something also, and its not going to be backwards compatible.
FlintTheSquirrel

Well they have not agreed on this yet. They MIGHT put a system like this in place, but they are aware that this might effect peoples views on the company and hurt their sales that way. Only time will tell if they are actually planning on doing this.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I would hate it if that happened.
I'm not a very serious gamer, but I still do buy some games now and then. I understand why they would do that, but there would probably be so many problems that could happen, it just dosn't seem very smart.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

I always buy my current generation games, even last generation, but for things like the PS1 or even the SNES which you can't get anymore unless you buy them from a collector which costs exactly $1 billion, I use emulators. I only have a SNES one at the moment with like 6 games on it and it's actually encouraged me to buy a current generation version of the game. I don't like piracy but I like emulators of old systems because they allow me to play games I once played and/or owned as a child. This is why I think taking away backwards compatability is utter stupidity.
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:Which is why the new Playstation ans Xbox will have some feature to ruin used games, so you can't use a friend's copy or something also, and its not going to be backwards compatible.
That's just a rumor.

We don't know anything about the next Xbox and PS because nothing has been officially announced yet. Everything you've heard up to this point about either is probably a rumor and you would be doing yourself a service to disregard said info.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Nyaliva wrote:I always buy my current generation games, even last generation, but for things like the PS1 or even the SNES which you can't get anymore unless you buy them from a collector which costs exactly $1 billion...
Really? The local video game stores have a large stock of Playstation and Super Nintendo (Super Famicom) systems and games and they're relatively inexpensive. = P

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other