Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Tiggy

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Tiggy »

Lan= Local area network

Lan =/= sameroomwithxcomputers
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

To further my point, graphically I prefer Sonic Colors/Generations or something like Okami over BF3 max graphics.

Yeah it's pretty, but if I want realism I'll go outside. All this focus on realism makes me miss 16-bit games.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Rojo Ninja

Post by Rojo Ninja »

Tiggy wrote:Image

Lan= Local area network

Agreeing with ^ <- Edit

Lan doesn't mean same room, It just means same network.

Now LAN Party on the other hand would be where people all bring computers and game in the same room.
Last edited by Rojo Ninja on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
ImageImage
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Tiggy wrote:Lan= Local area network

Sleet was contrasting using LAN and having an actual offline multiplayer in a game. If you're trying to use LAN as a replacement to offline multiplayer functionality in a game, then yes, you need to have every person using their own computer.

Context. It's important.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

Incidentally, Colors and Generations were so very fast that I did not like them. ;-; However I did very much like the graphics that were displayed in Sonic Colors. So.....colorful, and you get to climb a cake. 16 and 64 Bit always has felt like the best were achieved for them.

Also, I do not think I have much if at all used LAN, but I do know it is not bound to the same house, though that likely would help the connectivity.
Rojo Ninja

Post by Rojo Ninja »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:
Also, I do not think I have much if at all used LAN, but I do know it is not bound to the same house, though that likely would help the connectivity.
Eh kinda, you would have to have good Wireless, or really really long cables for it not to be restricted within the same house.

Oh also VPN might work but thats a whole other story notforthisthread.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:Incidentally, Colors and Generations were so very fast that I did not like them.
To each their own, I believe they're the best Sonic games since Adventure 2.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Okay, so I used the term "LAN" incorrectly, but I think it should be fairly clear the application of LAN I was referring to from the context.

Okami's graphics are so amazing. <3 Sonic Colors looked really pretty too but I never got around to playing it. Being the best Sonic game since Adventure 2 isn't saying much. :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Rojo Ninja

Post by Rojo Ninja »

I want an Okami made for PS3 ; A; want so bad.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Sleet wrote:Okay, so I used the term "LAN" incorrectly, but I think it should be fairly clear the application of LAN I was referring to from the context.

Okami's graphics are so amazing. <3 Sonic Colors looked really pretty too but I never got around to playing it. Being the best Sonic game since Adventure 2 isn't saying much. :P
Well let me say this, the only game I thought was good between Adventure 2 and Colors was Unleashed, and that was ONLY the daytime levels.
FlintTheSquirrel

I have no idea why, but I liked Sonic 2006 and Unleashed. I think it may be because of the adventure feel it gave me instead of just a 3-Dimentional single track where you move so blindingly fast that you run into every enemy or pit that suddenly appears around the turn. Unleashed was very slow paced in the Night levels, so I could take all the time I wanted to complete a level. ^^ And even though 2006 was incredibly glitchy and I lost the game more times than I can imagine falling through the geometry or cheep undodgable losses to Silver, I did like the story of it, and it had that same exploring feel that Sonic Adventure 2 Battle gave me. ^^

I did however dislike the Secret Rings, maybe it would be better with the Wii Motion Plus, but I could never get him to move the way I wanted. ;<
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Dubiousity wrote:When it comes to graphics I prefer style over realism.
I agree, why all the realism, games are meant to be an escape from reality more or less, not to say realistic graphics are bad, but I'd take the comic book style of The Darkness II over Battlefield 3 graphics. Also, the 100th issue of The Darkness came out recently.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:I have no idea why, but I liked Sonic 2006 and Unleashed.
I don't know how anyone could like Sonic '06, it was a disaster in every way.

I also found the Night levels in Unleashed to be incredibly weak, it tries hard to be a hack-n-slash/beat-em-up but it fails so miserably, keep that kind of gameplay out of Sonic.

Sonic isn't meant to be slow.
FlintTheSquirrel

It just goes to show how there is always someone who will like a game, ehh? It felt very fun to me, and at the time I played it, I did not know people were saying it was a buggy mess. I got to experience that part on my own, and I took it as a challenge to get through the game, no matter how many losses I get from the bugs. Eventually, I made it and it felt so satisfying to me. ^^

And the Werehog was fun for me since I honestly do not see many games like that anymore. Best example I can make of how it felt was like a 3-Dimentional Double Dragon with very fun to use combos. :3
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:And the Werehog was fun for me since I honestly do not see many games like that anymore. Best example I can make of how it felt was like a 3-Dimentional Double Dragon with very fun to use combos. :3
You must not play M-rated games then.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Bayonetta and Dynasty Warriors 7 are some of the best hack and Slash games of recent times. Why not try those out? I don't think either are 18+...upon looking it up, Bayonetta is a 15 in England but more an M in America. I'd personally stick with the English one since it was probably only booked up to M due to how Bayonetta is meant to be sex appeal. We don't care about that as bad in England.
FlintTheSquirrel

That's probably pretty obvious. But to my knowledge, M-rated stuff always has a gimmick to make it more bloody than it ever needs to be for some reason.
Ehh.

Anywho, that is where I stand on the series, I like 2006 and Unleashed, but think Colors and Generations are OK, Generations being a bit repetitive, making you run the same stage 3 times before progressing. I honestly want to try Sonic and the Black Knight or whatever its called. I have never actually heard anything say anything about it, bad or good, so I wonder how the game even is.

And toward what Aaron said, Bayonetta made #1 on best boss battles in a top 10 I watched. That ending boss sounds funny with how long they drag it out.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:Generations being a bit repetitive, making you run the same stage 3 times before progressing.
You only play each level twice, once as Classic Sonic and once as Modern. The only thing similar in the two levels is motif, the layouts themselves are completely different.
FlintTheSquirrel

You had to do one extra stage per area to get the keys for the boss. Making it 3. ^^; Also, I did not enjoy the classic sonic stages as much as I'd hope, since all the graphics and gimmicks confused me a bit. I guess what I mean to say is while I was playing that game, it made me rather feel like playing the originals.
This is just a personal opinion, so do not think of it as an attack against the game or anything.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:You had to do one extra stage per area to get the keys for the boss. Making it 3.
Even then, unless it was a doppelganger race the layout is still different. I also thought the Classic Sonic stages were pure genius, I feel they balanced the extra stuff going on with the stage perfectly.

If you really want to see "too much going on" in a game, go play Sonic Fan Remix, that will mess you up real bad.
FlintTheSquirrel

Nahh, I had enough challenge with Ninja Gaiden, I do not really feel like playing games I know I will get destroyed by right now. ^^;

And stuff like when the City Escape car was ramming into that stack of bars repetitively, I climbed to the top of it, only to find out that there was nothing much up there and I had no idea where to go. Stuff like that is what turned me off from it, where as in the normal classic, it is move right and down, that is probably where you need to go.
Maybe I was the only one who faced this problem, but it is one of the factors that effect my opinion.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:Nahh, I had enough challenge with Ninja Gaiden, I do not really feel like playing games I know I will get destroyed by right now. ^^;

And stuff like when the City Escape car was ramming into that stack of bars repetitively, I climbed to the top of it, only to find out that there was nothing much up there and I had no idea where to go. Stuff like that is what turned me off from it, where as in the normal classic, it is move right and down, that is probably where you need to go.
Maybe I was the only one who faced this problem, but it is one of the factors that effect my opinion.
I never had too much trouble with that part, just go right and up!
Randomextra

Post by Randomextra »

Since we were talking about sonic games, i really liked sonic adventures one and two.
First adventure was fun, and the fishing was kind of fun.
Part two was cool with the boss battles and finding the emeralds.
Although it has been along time so i dont know if i'm talking about the right game.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Randomextra wrote:Since we were talking about sonic games, i really liked sonic adventures one and two.
First adventure was fun, and the fishing was kind of fun.
Part two was cool with the boss battles and finding the emeralds.
Although it has been along time so i dont know if i'm talking about the right game.
Sonic Adventure 2 didn't have you look for Chaos Emeralds, you just sorta got them as part of the plot.

Adventure 1 did have fishing though, Big the Cat's story.

EDIT: Unless you meant Knuckle's and Rouge's levels, finding the Master Emerald shards.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I did not like Big in Sonic Adventure. His stages weren't the worst, but they were a big step down from the other five, who were fantastic. I was in love with that game.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

been playing a bunch of sc2 lately

so hard. x.x
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Sleet wrote:I did not like Big in Sonic Adventure. His stages weren't the worst, but they were a big step down from the other five, who were fantastic. I was in love with that game.
Yeah I didn't enjoy his story too much either, nor did I like Amy's for that matter.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Amy was very definitely #5, but I still enjoyed playing as her.

I miss Tails' stages from the first game. I liked being able to play as Tails on foot.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Sleet wrote:Amy was very definitely #5, but I still enjoyed playing as her.

I miss Tails' stages from the first game. I liked being able to play as Tails on foot.
I wish they were more creative with his levels though, they were all exactly the same as Sonic's levels but with a "Beat Sonic to the finish" stipulation.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I dunno, I liked that. It's like playing Sonic's level as Tails. And since Tails is clearly better than Sonic, you have the limitation of needing to win fast.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Sleet wrote:I dunno, I liked that. It's like playing Sonic's level as Tails. And since Tails is clearly better than Sonic, you have the limitation of needing to win fast.
Sonic is extremely slowed down in those levels though.
NogitsuneGabriel

Post by NogitsuneGabriel »

Dubiousity wrote:Sonic is extremely slowed down in those levels though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0dvqK9_1Gg
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Turns out Sonic is in Mario Kart. :P
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

NogitsuneGabriel wrote:
Dubiousity wrote:Sonic is extremely slowed down in those levels though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0dvqK9_1Gg
The AI is meant to keep up with you but won't actually beat you unless you're terrible at the game.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The Tails levels are just a natural progression of Sonic games. The first time you play a level in a Sonic game, you end up stalling a lot and not really flowing through the action very well. The more experience you get, the more smooth you play. That's basically what Tails is for. You've played those levels as Sonic, so now you gotta play them as Tails, where you're punished for stalling.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Sleet wrote:The Tails levels are just a natural progression of Sonic games. The first time you play a level in a Sonic game, you end up stalling a lot and not really flowing through the action very well. The more experience you get, the more smooth you play. That's basically what Tails is for. You've played those levels as Sonic, so now you gotta play them as Tails, where you're punished for stalling.
I still would have preferred different levels.

On a different note, going back through all the levels of Sonic Generations with the ability to become Super Sonic is extremely fun.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I would've too, but I just loved playing as Tails!

Have I mentioned I love Tails? I love him.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Sleet wrote:I would've too, but I just loved playing as Tails!

Have I mentioned I love Tails? I love him.
I'm well aware of your fox obsessiveness!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Thank Tails for that.
FlintTheSquirrel

Tails is my favorite in the Sonic series. To bad he has been shoved out of every game recently. Either making him derpy and shoving him away from the action like Sonic Colors, or only having him being partially in the story like Generations, or not including him in anything note-worthy like Unleashed. I want more Tails. ;-;

Tails at least has the reward for being the best sidekick in any game to date.