My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

mariomarc

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Post by mariomarc »

can i assume you don't like shipfics or fics in general?
because that 50% that you call bad, other people like
machchunk

Post by machchunk »

mariomarc wrote:can i assume you don't like shipfics or fics in general?
Yes.
because that 50% that you call bad, other people like
The people who like it are such a small segment of the population, though, that I can safely assume of any random person I'm trying to persuade to watch the show that they don't care for it.
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

can i ask why don't like them?
i don't read them myself, but i don't care if people write or read them, there just harmless text
i visit the site all the time and i just ignore all the fics, i go there for art, comics, videos, and news

if your worried that newcomers to the show will be turned off because of fanfiction, they clearly haven't been on the internet long enough, to realize that fanfiction exists in every internet fandom
they can just ignore it
machchunk

Post by machchunk »

can i ask why don't like them?
For one, the people who write them are usually just people who couldn't succeed with their own original ideas. You can tell because the vocabulary is often limited, the stories are bland and basic, and the work shows a lack of understanding of scene construction and dialog flow. Another is, the writers will disregard various levels of the original creator's intent, deliver no worthwhile insight, and project their own inane desires onto the characters and events (because be honest, there aren't that many other reasons for writing fiction about someone else's fiction, let alone good ones). Like, yea I get it, PonyDudeblahblah wants (blah)x(blah), or Himselfx(blah), or Gilda/Trixie is just misunderstood!, or what if Gilda came back as a supervillain? or isn't Celestia kind of a jerk for imprisoning her sister in the moon for 1000 years? I either inferred it from the show already or am nooooooot interested.

Plus if they're early in the show and trying to extrapolate they usually get invalidated within a season.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, like it or not. I don't especially feel like discussing it any further.
if your worried that newcomers to the show will be turned off because of fanfiction, they clearly haven't been on the internet long enough, to realize that fanfiction exists in every internet fandom
they can just ignore it
Yea but there's already some other unfortunate imagined associations so I don't want to risk them being alienated further.
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

on to something different
Lauren Faust is auctioning off a sketch she did of Derpy on Ebay for charity
it is still up for six days, but the current bid is over $2000
you could also try for a winged Pinkie Pie at over $300
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm not going to lie, their fanfiction scares me.

That's awesome how much that's going for!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

all of it?

Pinkie is now over $1300
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

I just skip the fiction and look at every thing else.

Ya, I saw that Derpy picture. Some MLP fans have alot of extra cash, apperantly.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

mariomarc wrote:all of it?

Pinkie is now over $1300
I haven't read any of it, but I see just about every story that's on the main page and it frightens me most of the time.

That's so cool how dedicated the fandom is. :3
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

at least you can deal with it, unlike some other people
*mumbles something mean about obvious person*
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Let's not degenerate into personal attacks.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

i apologize
i was just joking
Senator_Sunburst

Post by Senator_Sunburst »

machchunk wrote: For one, the people who write them are usually just people who couldn't succeed with their own original ideas.
That's like saying car enthusiasts are just people who couldn't succeed at professionally fixing up cars, or PC builders couldn't get a job building PCs, and so on. People can be good at their hobbies, and people can have professional level competence in things they aren't professionally invested in. Even in the realm of fanfiction I can give you an example. Cassandra Clare wrote Harry Potter fanfiction (specifically the infamous Draco Trilogy) along with The Very Secret Diaries (a LoTR fanfic) before publishing. Mathews Shocke is a fanfic author, currently writing the Harry Potter fic Nightmare's of Future's Past, and the Naruto fanfic Team 8, and has recently found himself published.

And of course, the act of competent writing is different from being published, as evident by the sheer volume of horrible dreck that gets published all the time. Publishing is about being at least slightly competent, and either throwing enough work out there until something sticks, or being very good at throwing the right thing at the right publisher. It's fairly unrelated to writing competency.
Another is, the writers will disregard various levels of the original creator's intent, deliver no worthwhile insight, and project their own inane desires onto the characters and events (because be honest, there aren't that many other reasons for writing fiction about someone else's fiction, let alone good ones).
There aren't that many other reasons for writing fiction. People tend to write fiction because they think a certain idea is cool, and will make a cool story. What you're complaining about is that some people think their ideas are cool, when their ideas are certain changes to established writings. Well yeah, sometimes it's not. But sometimes it is.

Further, some people write fanfiction to do "experiments" in either causation or characters, or general character exploration, or exercises in world building. These are the sorts of reasons I write fanfiction for. And some of these are reasons for writing one can not write original fiction for (with the exception of Alternate History, I suppose). You can't ask yourself "what would this character have done if X was Y?" if you're the original writer of the character, writing the character for the first time. There's simply nothing to compare.

Some fanfic is bad. Actually, most of it is. But there's a lot of good stuff too. Including pony fanfic.
machchunk

Post by machchunk »

mariomarc wrote:at least you can deal with it, unlike some other people
*mumbles something mean about obvious person*
Well I post on Ponygoons so it's more like I don't need/have to deal with it.

Oh God what is this Image
Senator_Sunburst wrote:effortpost defending fanfiction
Aw jeez, I...I'm torn. On one hand this is a dead conversation and it's only going to lead wildly off-topic and it's 2:36AM where I live, but on the other...I can sense you made some good points in this post that would be worth replying to. Buh....tell you what, I'll PM you if I feel like continuing this.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I'm confused, I've always found most of the people at ED to be extremely nice people, who really seem to at least try to take the morals of the show to heart. I'd say it's the second-nicest place I've ever been to on the internet.

The nicest place is, of course, this place. :)
machchunk

Post by machchunk »

naylorfan90 wrote:I'm confused, I've always found most of the people at ED to be extremely nice people, who really seem to at least try to take the morals of the show to heart. I'd say it's the second-nicest place I've ever been to on the internet.
Didn't say they weren't nice. I said they're loopy. But that's mostly second-hand experience. It doesn't really matter though; I can't imagine that community is all too special, even allowing for the best conditions regarding the main site content. It is a blog forum that attracts mostly people who didn't need that much convincing to watch the show in the first place (they do have a forum, right? I can't find it now but I remember there being one).
If that's so it's only because we're so handicapped in general; most of this forum is deathly afraid of giving any meaningful opinions and possibly stepping on toes. There's too little user challenge, and too few standards otherwise, and those are the things that make a truly good forum. Ponygoons is just as nice while being honest and facilitating genuinely great discussion.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

machchunk wrote:
naylorfan90 wrote:I'm confused, I've always found most of the people at ED to be extremely nice people, who really seem to at least try to take the morals of the show to heart. I'd say it's the second-nicest place I've ever been to on the internet.
Didn't say they weren't nice. I said they're loopy. But that's mostly second-hand experience. It doesn't really matter though; I can't imagine that community is all too special, even allowing for the best conditions regarding the main site content. It is a blog forum that attracts mostly people who didn't need that much convincing to watch the show in the first place (they do have a forum, right? I can't find it now but I remember there being one).
If that's so it's only because we're so handicapped in general; most of this forum is deathly afraid of giving any meaningful opinions and possibly stepping on toes. There's too little user challenge, and too few standards otherwise, and those are the things that make a truly good forum. Ponygoons is just as nice while being honest and facilitating genuinely great discussion.
...did you just say that the only reason the people are nice around here are because we're handicapped? Is nice not normal, do people have to be JERKS to fit in, or is that just your personal justification so that you don't ever have to feel bad about anything you ever say?

All I've heard from you is how other MLP fans are loopy, and that fanfiction writers are incompetent at writing, and that the people around here are only nice because they have to be. They couldn't POSSIBLY be acting nice because they WANT to be nice, oh no, that can't be it at all.

Also, sorry if I stepped on your toes any. I just wanted to get my opinion out.

Edit: to keep myself somewhat on-topic, what do y'all think of the fan theory that Twilight and Trixie are sisters?
Last edited by Penwrite on Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/04/a ... ushie.html

i act nice to everyone because i choose to, not because the rules dictate so

Twilight and Trixie could be sisters.
Twilight's dad and Trixie have the same Cutie Mark

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/04/p ... ychan.html
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

I'm nice cause I wanna be nice. It's not fun to be a jerk.

I want that Fluttershy!
machchunk

Post by machchunk »

naylorfan90 wrote: ...did you just say that the only reason the people are nice around here are because we're handicapped?
*shrugs* Handicapped by the PG-13 rating. Handicapped by the super-strict flaming/trolling rules. Not literally handicapped. Yes, friendship is magic, and it's possible to have a good community based around these rules, if it gathers many confident (or assertive, or dominant) personality types with multiple viewpoints, opinions, and interests represented. Here we have many caring, protective, supportive, sensitive, somewhat submissive personality types (of which I am somewhat guilty of) that share more than the usual amount of interests, viewpoints, and opinions, and it's only accentuating certain traits and, in some cases (IMO), flaws.
Is nice not normal, do people have to be JERKS to fit in, or is that just your personal justification so that you don't ever have to feel bad about anything you ever say? All I've heard from you is how other MLP fans are loopy, and that fanfiction writers are incompetent at writing,
OK, listen. This whole post of yours, but particularly this part, is more of a result of you not knowing me than anything else. Believe me, I criticize myself more than anyone else does. I constantly hesitate over the right things to say and I'm very bashful, which is why I don't post much here and I'm near-silent in the real world. And often times when people reject my actions, that gets me anxious, sad, riled up, etc., more than anything. You just don't notice that because this is a message board and I am not telegraphing my feelings as I read posts. I am naturally nice and want to please. That's why I still stick to the rules. In fact, I am petrified of having privileges revoked because of my own doing.

But YET....I have more reservations than the people on this forum in general. And all I ever get in response to my posts when I express these reservations is, "Throw them out! Throw them out! Just completely disregard them and everything will be alright!" Do you understand why I don't appreciate that? That is not something I want to do, and you are not going to make me do it. Isn't that what so many of you preach anyway? But you never emphasize it in the right situations. It's only ever when people say they have opposite opinions of one another. What the heck? Why should that matter? Admittedly, the events on this forum don't come to this often. But that doesn't mean you expound your energies on the wrong concepts just because you can. IMO, being silent is better than being foolish.

As for why it seems like I lord over you and others more than I come on...I honestly have no clue.
and that the people around here are only nice because they have to be. They couldn't POSSIBLY be acting nice because they WANT to be nice, oh no, that can't be it at all.
Absolutely never said this. This is what I'm talking about, though. When your personality is never challenged, your brain activates a contradicting feeling that keeps you level, which gets more intense over time. So when that comfort is drawn away by any length, the pushback is harsher than it should be, and you end up extraploating farfetched ideas like this to come back to homeostasis. I started off on message boards as an absolute pansy 10 year-old who would cry and rage over the slightest negative comment and had barely any sense otherwise. And I was rigorously trained on those message boards (in lieu of a spectacular social life because I'm pretty sure I have social anxiety) until I learned to not be so offended, to not vocalize my reactions all the time (back in the day I would occasionally literally make posts consisting solely of "Bicycle Repair Man you" replying to insults and would call my mom over to post under my name saying to back off), and to not be so stubborn in my beliefs (especially when they're inherently illogical). Maybe I caught you at an awkward time, but please, keep this in mind for your own sake.

You are genuinely nice. I never said otherwise. Everyone here is nice. Once again, I never said otherwise. But there are different kinds of 'nice'. And, to be frank, I just don't like the kind of 'nice' that populates this forum. But I keep visiting because there are worthwhile parts to it.

Now let's PLEASE be done with this? Or if you want to just converse with me on this topic peacefully and outside the limits of this thread (don't want to hear it if you are still seething though)...do it privately.
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

um... wow
sorry about that
i had no idea you were like that
*hug*
exranio

Post by exranio »

So about dem pairings? Not really.

I like violent stuff. I always imagine action anime-esque versions of housepets. The same for MLP and pretty much anything that isnt already an action anime. I just like the action.

I particularly loved how in the second episode their immediate reaction to the manticore is to beat the crap out of it. I also liked how they planned to fight the dragon just in case. I just wish they could actually finish a fight for once.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

that's new to me

awesome gif:
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

mariomarc wrote:that's new to me
I came up with it during the first episode, when Fluttershy was asking Spike everything.
exranio

Post by exranio »

Lol couple names.
It may not had been in the shows best interest to have a mjority female cast.

Anyway I just watched the new episode. For some reason I don't like that rainbowdash's rainboom is what made everybody else get theres. Yeah linking is nice but it just seemed like too much. I also like pinkie's hair better strait but I just don't like curly hair that much.
I'd love to see more young fluttershy thought. She was really cute and sorta cool looking being all tall and linki while everyone else is so chibi-ish. As for twightlight her learning with Princess celestia could be its own spin-off show.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

i think the reason she looked like that was because she was a year older than everyone else
also Pinkie Pie had such a sad childhood

alternate future?

also
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

A future with a boring Pinkie Pie? I wouldn't be able to handle that.

That picture was oddly hilarious
exranio

Post by exranio »

Never said I prefered sad pinkie I just liked her hair better. I do like how her life was so sad before. I generally like dark stuff and I take whatever I can get. I also support the idea that the explosion caused some sort of brain damage.
machchunk

Post by machchunk »

Finally, children's television is speaking out for progeria patients
exranio

Post by exranio »

I for one support the apearence of wierd al. Although it would be really cool to have eddie muprhy or Dave chappelle.(who's last name I probably spelled wrong)
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

Weird Al would be better
he could do a musical number

with Pinkey!!!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Yeah, Weird Al would be neat...
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

this was actually drawn a few days ago
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I would squee so hard if Weird Al agrees!
exranio

Post by exranio »

Well great the designer's job is already done.
exranio

Post by exranio »

Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Varb1RI5 ... ideo_title
Most hummable song in the show I swear
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

This is the most Awsome comic I have seen. Ok, not really, but it is still pretty cool.
exranio

Post by exranio »

I question where the jewelry armor came from but its pretty sweet so its okay.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Weird Al in pony form is probbaly the greatest thing I've ever seen in my life. Just saying, I love Weird Al, and I love ponies. :mrgreen: