The Silver Screen

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Shadowstar23

Re: The Silver Screen

Post by Shadowstar23 »

Saw the November Man. It was pretty good. And for those who like Claymation movies, Boxtrolls comes out the 26th.
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
Liam

Post by Liam »

The Bay is a found footage film done right. It doesn't break suspension of disbelief by presenting a sensible explanation both of how the footage could be shot and how it could be found.

A small Maryland town's Independence Day celebrations are interrupted by the locals suddenly coming down with inexplicable rashes. Things go downhill, and that fast. The film is set up like a documentary, with the female reporter covering the festival and later events serving as the framing device in form of a Skype interview. The goings-on in town are interspersed with a pair of oceanographers researching local sealife.

What sets this film apart from other entries in the subgenre is that the story is shown from multiple angles. Aside from the camera footage of the news team and the video logs of the scientist duo, they include surveillance cameras of stores and public areas, police dashcams, Skype chats, cellphone cameras, even voice and text mails. They did a really good job grounding the film in the present by not not pulling their punches and exploring the ramifications our networked, digital society would have on a horror setting. Use of the material is justified in that it's been meticulously collected by the authorities as part of subsequent investigations and cover-up. All of it has been publicized Wikileaks-style. The other unique thing about this film is believable acting. You often see horribly phony, over-the-top performances in other members of the subgenre; here they actually behave like real-life people and don't break down into hysterical sobbing and panic attacks like a bad LPer. For the most part performances are subdued, low-key. Characters express confusion and anger in the first and middle stages, and only go into bare animalistic fear in the very intense moments (also, jump scares :3 ). All in all the scenario is treated very realistically in terms of how the townspeople, outsiders and corrupt authorities respond to happenings. Even the source of the problem sounds plausible enough for the layperson.

I can only recommend to check this one out and I hope the people behind this go on to make more great films.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Liam wrote:The Bay is a found footage film done right. It doesn't break suspension of disbelief by presenting a sensible explanation both of how the footage could be shot and how it could be found.

A small Maryland town's Independence Day celebrations are interrupted by the locals suddenly coming down with inexplicable rashes. Things go downhill, and that fast. The film is set up like a documentary, with the female reporter covering the festival and later events serving as the framing device in form of a Skype interview. The goings-on in town are interspersed with a pair of oceanographers researching local sealife.

What sets this film apart from other entries in the subgenre is that the story is shown from multiple angles. Aside from the camera footage of the news team and the video logs of the scientist duo, they include surveillance cameras of stores and public areas, police dashcams, Skype chats, cellphone cameras, even voice and text mails. They did a really good job grounding the film in the present by not not pulling their punches and exploring the ramifications our networked, digital society would have on a horror setting. Use of the material is justified in that it's been meticulously collected by the authorities as part of subsequent investigations and cover-up. All of it has been publicized Wikileaks-style. The other unique thing about this film is believable acting. You often see horribly phony, over-the-top performances in other members of the subgenre; here they actually behave like real-life people and don't break down into hysterical sobbing and panic attacks like a bad LPer. For the most part performances are subdued, low-key. Characters express confusion and anger in the first and middle stages, and only go into bare animalistic fear in the very intense moments (also, jump scares :3 ). All in all the scenario is treated very realistically in terms of how the townspeople, outsiders and corrupt authorities respond to happenings. Even the source of the problem sounds plausible enough for the layperson.

I can only recommend to check this one out and I hope the people behind this go on to make more great films.
I'll have to see that one. I tend to shy away from the "found footage" genre. There are a lot of bad ones out there. The one I love most is "Cannibal Holocaust". "Chernobyl Diaries" was alright. I read about "The Bay" and the concept alone is unsettling.

I watched "Pink Floyd: The Wall" again today. I love that movie but it wrecks me.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Vegas

Post by Vegas »

Liam wrote:The Bay is a found footage film done right. It doesn't break suspension of disbelief by presenting a sensible explanation both of how the footage could be shot and how it could be found.

That sounds good. I love found footage films, so, I'll check it out.
Avi colored by me. Lineart from here.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Watched The Warriors last night. I dug it.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Seth wrote:Watched The Warriors last night. I dug it.
Told you that you would enjoy it! I liked the "A Clockwork Orange" style gangs. Maybe next you should check out the original "Assault on Precinct 13". Too bad you didn't like "Escape From New York".

My next cinematic experiences are in the mail and on their way! "Without Warning" is a horror film about an alien hunting humans for sport on Earth. It sounds a lot like "Predator", but this film was made in 1980, 7 years before "Predator".

And after that, "Godzilla vs Megalon"!
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Seth wrote:Watched The Warriors last night. I dug it.
Told you that you would enjoy it! I liked the "A Clockwork Orange" style gangs. Maybe next you should check out the original "Assault on Precinct 13". Too bad you didn't like "Escape From New York".

My next cinematic experiences are in the mail and on their way! "Without Warning" is a horror film about an alien hunting humans for sport on Earth. It sounds a lot like "Predator", but this film was made in 1980, 7 years before "Predator".

And after that, "Godzilla vs Megalon"!
I do need to check out Assault one day.
And I did like escape from new york. I just said it was campy and kind of corny. Because it was. But like in a cool un-ironic way that made it fun. Plus the premise is brilliant.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

I highly recommend A Walk Among Tombstones. It is amazing.
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
Radio Blue Heart

I finished watching "Without Warning" last night and it was really good! Its very creepy and scary. An alien creature is hunting humans in the mountains of California. Its weapons of choice are small flying parasites that it throws like shurikens, they latch on with sharp teeth and jab poisonous tendrils into the skin! Two college kids encounter the creature and the only people who believe them are the town drunk and a war shocked Vietnam vet.

This film was made 7 years before "Predator". Not only does it have the similar concept of an alien coming to Earth to hunt humans, actor Kevin Peter Hall played the monster in both films! And during an interview that Arnold Schwarzenegger gave on the set of "Predator" he open compared the two films.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I remember when I was a young teen, I once tried renting what I thought was one of the Friday the 13th films, only it wasn't. Similar name, I think, but I can't remember what it was called. It was a really weird movie. There was this kid, and a mean old lady watching over him, and something about either a monkey statue or someone in a monkey suit, and I think the backstory was that the kid's father had killed his wife and then himself, or something.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about, or did I just dream this whole thing up?
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:I remember when I was a young teen, I once tried renting what I thought was one of the Friday the 13th films, only it wasn't. Similar name, I think, but I can't remember what it was called. It was a really weird movie. There was this kid, and a mean old lady watching over him, and something about either a monkey statue or someone in a monkey suit, and I think the backstory was that the kid's father had killed his wife and then himself, or something.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about, or did I just dream this whole thing up?
I know! Its film called "The Orphan", sometimes known as "Friday the 13th: The Orphan".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079677/
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Penwrite wrote:I remember when I was a young teen, I once tried renting what I thought was one of the Friday the 13th films, only it wasn't. Similar name, I think, but I can't remember what it was called. It was a really weird movie. There was this kid, and a mean old lady watching over him, and something about either a monkey statue or someone in a monkey suit, and I think the backstory was that the kid's father had killed his wife and then himself, or something.

I know! Its film called "The Orphan", sometimes known as "Friday the 13th: The Orphan".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079677/
That's it! Oh my gosh, thank you so much! It was driving me crazy, going years unsure if I'd just imagined the whole thing up!

*super-big internet hug!* :D
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

Has anyone seen The Maze Runner and is it worth watching?
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
D3ath_0ps

Post by D3ath_0ps »

I've seen the trailer for it and it looks really cool! I have neglected from seeing the movie because I wanted to see if it was good first as well. It looks good from the trailers.

Also, Who has seen that new TRON movie from 2010 (Ish?)? Am I the only one who thinks it was cool? ._.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Nah, I love Tron: Legacy. A lot of the story elements might have been borderline cliche, but DANG does it look and sound beautiful. Daft Punk gave one stellar soundtrack to that film.
D3ath_0ps

Post by D3ath_0ps »

Amen to that. Daft Punk did an AWESOME job with the soundtrack, and I do think that there were a lot of cliche moments. I don't get why everyone I know doesn't like it... Its a really good movie. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. :D
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

Yes Tron:Legacy was cool, I felt weird at first watching it (CGI Jeff Bridges...) but I do like it.
I have seen a lot of people not like the Tron series, either they don't like Legacy or the original. Though both have their flaws they are kind of fun
Penwrite wrote:Nah, I love Tron: Legacy. A lot of the story elements might have been borderline cliche, but DANG does it look and sound beautiful. Daft Punk gave one stellar soundtrack to that film.
The soundtrack is wonderful as well. Just, if you like that soundtrack in your pandroa station you worked so hard to make into a movie soundtrack only station. Be ready for anything daft punk and related.
D3ath_0ps wrote:Amen to that. Daft Punk did an AWESOME job with the soundtrack, and I do think that there were a lot of cliche moments. I don't get why everyone I know doesn't like it... Its a really good movie. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. :D
A lot of people do because I think it tried to be like its predecessor. it did have its moments where it dragged on. Though the original is also cheesy and a few people hate that one.
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
Liam

Post by Liam »

So, Dead & Buried. Oi. Written by the guys behind Alien, you wouldn't guess from watching it. It probably was plenty scary back in 1981, and some scenes may hold up even today, but on the whole I found it a rather underwhelming experience.

A seaside town is plagued with the sudden onset of murders of outsiders. The local sheriff investigates. Things get complicated once the purported victims turn up in public again. Yeah, it's pretty much The Shadow Over Innsmouth with zombies, down to the final twist.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Radio Blue Heart

Liam wrote:So, Dead & Buried. Oi. Written by the guys behind Alien, you wouldn't guess from watching it. It probably was plenty scary back in 1981, and some scenes may hold up even today, but on the whole I found it a rather underwhelming experience.

A seaside town is plagued with the sudden onset of murders of outsiders. The local sheriff investigates. Things get complicated once the purported victims turn up in public again. Yeah, it's pretty much The Shadow Over Innsmouth with zombies, down to the final twist.
I remember that movie.

"Call it black magic, call it a medical breakthrough, I'll take my secrets to the grave!"

I actually liked it. It did have some very chilling moments, such as the scene where the burn victim was finished off by the nurse and when the traveling family were chased and trapped by the residents of Potter's Bluff. The idea of a murderous mortician secretly taking over a town seemed to be derivative of "Phantasm".

On the subject of zombie films, I just watched “The Dead 2” and it blew me away! It is as good as the original “The Dead” if not better! The like Romero’s zombie films, this film does not carry over characters from the previous film. Although you get a little glimpse when the previous films hero Brian Murphy is picked up on radio by this film’s hero when he is trying to use his CB.

The setting has been changed from Africa (specifically Burkina Faso and Ghana) to India. Nicholas Burton (played excellently by Joseph Millson) is an American electrical engineer working on a wind far in central India when the zombie plague that is ravaging Africa spreads to the subcontinent. He is desperately trying to reach his pregnant girlfriend Ishani in Mumbai with the aid of an orphan boy named Javed. Like Romero’s zombie films, the living dead are just one of their problems as the must also contend with desperate survivors and the Indian Army’s desperate attempts to control the zombie plague; including executing potential carriers. This film has a lot of the same elements as the first. An American engineer trying to get to his family, people of different races and cultures coming together in the face of adversity and the importance of the family.

Its just as gory and violent as the previous film with lots of gruesome gore effects and scenes of gut wrenching violence. The cinematography and direction are spot on. It is beautifully filmed and well paced. It has a lot of good scares and action sequences that never let up on the tension. And you never really think about how big India really is until you see two figures on a motorcycle crossing one of its deserts. I highly recommend this film and the first film, and I hope they make more. (Maybe next the will go to China or Russia or South America) If you have not seen the first film then get both and make a double feature of it. Some critics have even gone as far to say that the first film was the best zombie film since Romero’s “Night of the Living Dead” or “Dawn of the Dead”
-Virgil
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from seeing The Boxtrolls, and it was really good!
Radio Blue Heart

I just watched an excellent independent zombie movie called "The Battery". It was made by a group of friends for about $6000. Its about two amateur baseball players surviving a zombie apocalypse by wandering the small towns and forests of Connecticut on foot and by car. I can best be described as a combination of horror, comedy and drama as two average men with conflicting personalities try to get along and fight off hordes of walking corpses.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

So I've been watching one horror movie a day since October started, and good lord was last night's movie just the worst. 1985's Creature might be the worst Alien rip-off I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot of Alien rip-offs. I want to watch the original Alien just to get the taste out of my head, and it hasn't even been a week since I last watched that film!

Have any of y'all seen Creature?
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:So I've been watching one horror movie a day since October started, and good lord was last night's movie just the worst. 1985's Creature might be the worst Alien rip-off I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot of Alien rip-offs. I want to watch the original Alien just to get the taste out of my head, and it hasn't even been a week since I last watched that film!

Have any of y'all seen Creature?
I've seen it. I liked it mostly because it had Klaus Kinski in it. It had a pretty cool concept and the fact that the creature could reanimate and control dead humans with parasites gave it a creepy paranoia factor.

If you want some "Alien" imitators, then try "Galaxy of Terror", "Forbidden World" and "Inesminoid".

I just saw a great found footage movie! Its called "Willow Creek" directed by Bobcat Goldthwait. Its about a couple that get lost in the woods while shooting an amateur documentary on Bigfoot.

So my list of found footage films that I like consists of "Cannibal Holocaust", "Frankenstein's Army", "Diary of the Dead" and this film. Not that I don't like this subgenre, its just hard to find good entries in it.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Seen Galaxy of Terror. That movie was icky, gloomy, and made me feel a little sick in the stomach, but I liked it more than Creature. I think what makes it the worst for me is that Creature squanders a fairly decent concept through ineptitude. Klaus Kinski was definitely the best part of it though.

I've also seen Forbidden World. Not too bad, pretty cool monster.
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

So last Saturday I saw scream for the first time, with some friends. One of my friends made the joke that the movie Saw was inspired from the line "lets play a little game" that is said in the movie.
Also it was very silly and not as scary as I thought it would be.
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Scream was awesome when it first came out. I remember the first scene alone was something worthy of nightmares considering the idea that at the time was Horror movies gone real. And making the first scene as realistic as possible, even if over the top, was scary enough as it is.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:Seen Galaxy of Terror. That movie was icky, gloomy, and made me feel a little sick in the stomach, but I liked it more than Creature. I think what makes it the worst for me is that Creature squanders a fairly decent concept through ineptitude. Klaus Kinski was definitely the best part of it though.

I've also seen Forbidden World. Not too bad, pretty cool monster.
Yeah, "Galaxy of Terror" can be a rough film to watch. I loved the concept tho. If you can't control your fear it will literally eat you alive. If you felt that way over it perhaps you should avoid "Inseminoid".
Drake wrote:So last Saturday I saw scream for the first time, with some friends. One of my friends made the joke that the movie Saw was inspired from the line "lets play a little game" that is said in the movie.
Also it was very silly and not as scary as I thought it would be.
GameCobra wrote:Scream was awesome when it first came out. I remember the first scene alone was something worthy of nightmares considering the idea that at the time was Horror movies gone real. And making the first scene as realistic as possible, even if over the top, was scary enough as it is.
I loved the original "Scream". It one of those films that restores your faith in Wes Craven as a director. His career has been rather hit or miss.

This week I got to see a bunch of movies. I got two sets of Japanese giant monster and sci-fi movies. It included "War of the Gargantuas", "Rodan", "Mothra", "Battle in Outer Space" and "The H-Man". All of them directed by Inoshiro Honda. I would have to say that "War of the Gargantuas" was my favorite of the set. Its a sequel to a film called "Frankenstein Conquers The World" (also known as "Frankenstein vs Baragon"), which I really want to see but it is hopelessly out of print.

I also got two films by the infamous Uwe Boll. And, you may find this hard to believe, he is actually starting to make good movies! They are two thrillers called "Rampage" and "Assault on Wall Street". I have heard of another film of his called "Darfur" that is also supposed to be good. I guess it took him some time to learn from his mistakes.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I think I'd love a remake of Galaxy of Terror.

Today I'm watching Bay of Blood, also known as Twitch of the Death Nerve. My first Mario Bava film!
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from seeing The Judge, and it was really good!
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

I recommend everyone to watch Dracula Untold. Its amazing. :)
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:I think I'd love a remake of Galaxy of Terror.

Today I'm watching Bay of Blood, also known as Twitch of the Death Nerve. My first Mario Bava film!
Ooo! Good one! After you are finished, compare it to the first two "Friday the 13th" films and you can see "Twitch of the Death Nerve" had an influence on both!
-Virgil
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Recently watched Blacula, I thought it was hilarious.
I think there was a sequel, but I'm not to interested in seeing it...
Panda Panda Panda
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Today I'm watching The Ring. Haven't seen this film in years, forgot how beautifully-shot this film is. It's kinda weird how rare the well-shot horror film is.
Radio Blue Heart

I just watched "Brain Damage" for the first time and it was awesome. Its by Frank Henenlotter, the writer/director of one of my all time favorite movies, "Basket Case". Its about a young man named Brian who's body is invaded by a talking, brain-eating parasitic monster named Aylmer. Aylmer injects Brian with an addictive hallucinogenic drug, basically enslaving him, in order to force him to lead Aylmer to new victims so he can feed on their brains. Its an obvious metaphor for drug addiction, its a little monster that makes you do terrible things. Like "Basket Case" its full of gore, scares and laughs. It even features a cameo by Kevin Van Hentenryck as Daune Bradly from "Basket Case" along with the basket containing his monstrous brother Bilial on the subway train.
-Virgil
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from seeing The Book of Life, and it was really good.
Radio Blue Heart

I just watched a British horror film called "Deathwatch". Its about a squad of World War I era British soldiers who get lost after a battle and wander into an abandoned trench full of the bodies of men who appear as if they turned on each other. They soon start to suspect that something is in the trench with them trying to drive them insane and kill them. Its kind of like "Carnival of Souls" and "The Evil" set during the First World War.

I also got a new copy of "Demons"! Its one of my all time favorite movies. A mysterious man gives people free tickets to a movie. One of the patrons puts on a demon mask that is part of the lobby displays and scratches her face. As the movie starts to play a character in the film does the same thing and the film begins to mirror events in the theater. The scratch on her face turns her into a fanged, clawed monster that attacks and infects the other patrons.
-Virgil
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I just watched a British horror film called "Deathwatch". Its about a squad of World War I era British soldiers who get lost after a battle and wander into an abandoned trench full of the bodies of men who appear as if they turned on each other. They soon start to suspect that something is in the trench with them trying to drive them insane and kill them. Its kind of like "Carnival of Souls" and "The Evil" set during the First World War.
Sounds interesting, gonna have to look for that one.
"Carnival of Souls" is a favorite of mine.
Panda Panda Panda
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
I also got a new copy of "Demons"! Its one of my all time favorite movies. A mysterious man gives people free tickets to a movie. One of the patrons puts on a demon mask that is part of the lobby displays and scratches her face. As the movie starts to play a character in the film does the same thing and the film begins to mirror events in the theater. The scratch on her face turns her into a fanged, clawed monster that attacks and infects the other patrons.
I found a dubbed english copy on youtube. I'm gonna check it out soon. It's been on my radar for a while.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Punchy wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:I just watched a British horror film called "Deathwatch". Its about a squad of World War I era British soldiers who get lost after a battle and wander into an abandoned trench full of the bodies of men who appear as if they turned on each other. They soon start to suspect that something is in the trench with them trying to drive them insane and kill them. Its kind of like "Carnival of Souls" and "The Evil" set during the First World War.
Sounds interesting, gonna have to look for that one.
"Carnival of Souls" is a favorite of mine.
Then you will like this one. It has a lot of the same fear and paranoia.
Seth wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:
I found a dubbed english copy on youtube. I'm gonna check it out soon. It's been on my radar for a while.
You won't regret it! This movie rocks! Imagine this: A man on a motorcycle killing the monsters with a samurai sword to the tune of "Fast As A Shark" by Accept.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »