Arc #32: The Dog Days of Summer

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Indagare

Re: Arc #32: The Dog Days of Summer

Post by Indagare »

IceKitsune wrote:
Sinder wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:First things first Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy it here. Now on to your question. No I really doubt it because as I said in the post above the U&U Game was not meant to take place in Babylon Gardens originally so Peanut would have nothing to do with the Game goal at all.
How do you know? We have only a vague idea what the rules of the game are, and no idea what the win condition is; it could very well be anything. What's particularly telling is that Pete refers to Grape and Peanut as "The Cat" and "The Dog" respectively, when there are plenty of both cats and dogs in the neighborhood, which suggests that they hold a particular significance in the game itself.
But how could they be? We know for a fact that Pete's temple was moved to Babylon Gardens so we know it was originally some where else and since its only the Garden part on the map that looks hastily scrawled on and underlined instead of neat like the Babylon part then we can assume that the game originally was going to take place where Babylon once was meaning there is no way Peanut and Grape have any significance on the game other then being potential Avatars which has already passed because Dragon has one already, Kitsune most likely does as well or he/she doesn't have one at all, and neither trust Pete so they won't be his.

As for him referring to them as The Cat and The Dog I think your putting to much stock in his word choice he could have been referring to them dismissively as unimportant hence why he didn't use their real names even though he knew them. Now its possible when Pete was moved to BG they changed the Goal of the game but I find that very unlikely.
Well it could be that "The Cat" and "The Dog" are some sort of cosmic shorthand. Grape and Peanut are pretty major characters in the strip, it would not be unreasonable to assume that they have some kind of importance in the cosmic scale. Perhaps when the temple got moved the Great Kitsune adjusted things so that everything that should have existed in Babylon now exist in Babylon Gardens which includes a placeholder for "The Cat" and "The Dog". Remember, part of the rules included a limit of an avatar to either a cat or a dog, so there could have been some reason to have a significant cat character and a significant dog character. Who these characters were probably altered when the temple changed places.

Also, it seems that Pete is somehow unaware of who (or what) actually moved the temple or he wouldn't be accusing Dragon. He probably ought to find out about that.
Image"Remember kids, only you can prevent a fiery apocalypse!"
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Indagare wrote: Well it could be that "The Cat" and "The Dog" are some sort of cosmic shorthand. Grape and Peanut are pretty major characters in the strip, it would not be unreasonable to assume that they have some kind of importance in the cosmic scale. Perhaps when the temple got moved the Great Kitsune adjusted things so that everything that should have existed in Babylon now exist in Babylon Gardens which includes a placeholder for "The Cat" and "The Dog". Remember, part of the rules included a limit of an avatar to either a cat or a dog, so there could have been some reason to have a significant cat character and a significant dog character. Who these characters were probably altered when the temple changed places.

Also, it seems that Pete is somehow unaware of who (or what) actually moved the temple or he wouldn't be accusing Dragon. He probably ought to find out about that.

There is however one problem with your theory if there was an important Dog and Cat charater having them as an Avatar would get them something special in the game (a better chance of winning or something) then why would Dragon still be Tarot why not switch to Peanut right away or even Grape because there is nothing in the rules that we know of that says you can't switch because Pete switched his choice (admittedly it was before Grape became his Avatar but so what)?

OK lets assume here that they do have some sort of significances in the game what could it possibly be what would set them apart from being any different than anyone else in the neighborhood (forgoing the fact that there main characters in the comic)

Edit: Also then why would Pete find it weird that Dragon and Tarot were still with Peanut? It would make sense they would be because Peanut and Grape are special to the game and you would want to protect them and Pete's line indicates its weird that Dragon is still hang out with Peanut and Grape there for its unlikely they have any real significance to the game at all.
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

Indications are that Dragon had no problems in choosing Tarot as her avatar (she appears to be better at following the rules than Pete, which would explain the lack of hangups). As for why she didn't choose Peanut, that's open to speculation; it could be because she's in love with him, or because he's an important figure in the game, or something else entirely.

Pete, on the other hand, has yet to choose a valid avatar. His original choice, Grape, was nullified for reasons unknown, and while the Kitsune ruled that formerly being human had no bearing upon King's status as an avatar, this choice too was eventually nixed because Pete is such a powergaming turd. The Kitsune expressly states that he must have a "full" (i.e., proper) avatar before he will be allowed to continue. This is because he's been making (apparently) gamebreaking choices, not because he's allowed to switch at will.
ImageImage
ImageImage
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sinder wrote:Indications are that Dragon had no problems in choosing Tarot as her avatar (she appears to be better at following the rules than Pete, which would explain the lack of hangups). As for why she didn't choose Peanut, that's open to speculation; it could be because she's in love with him, or because he's an important figure in the game, or something else entirely.

Pete, on the other hand, has yet to choose a valid avatar. His original choice, Grape, was nullified for reasons unknown, and while the Kitsune ruled that formerly being human had no bearing upon King's status as an avatar, this choice too was eventually nixed because Pete is such a powergaming turd. The Kitsune expressly states that he must have a "full" (i.e., proper) avatar before he will be allowed to continue. This is because he's been making (apparently) gamebreaking choices, not because he's allowed to switch at will.
Sinder Grape was nullified because she doesn't trust Pete and would never say yes to him because Dragon told her he was a jerk and would "Bring about the end". As for King being Nixed he was ruled out as an Avatar because Pete tricked him into playing the game and he never agreed to be an Avatar plus Pete broke the rules by not allowing King to say his real name.

As for Dragon not choosing Peanut she had already chosen Tarot before Pete's temple was moved (Because she had to be out of her Temple so Pete would suspect her of moving his because how could Pete think she moved his Temple if she was still in hers) so most likely Tarot and Dragon aren't even from America let alone Babylon Gardens. And before anyone says it if they share the same Temple then it makes even less sense for Pete to suspect her because he would know she was in there when it was moved.
Indagare

Post by Indagare »

IceKitsune wrote:
There is however one problem with your theory if there was an important Dog and Cat charater having them as an Avatar would get them something special in the game (a better chance of winning or something) then why would Dragon still be Tarot why not switch to Peanut right away or even Grape because there is nothing in the rules that we know of that says you can't switch because Pete switched his choice (admittedly it was before Grape became his Avatar but so what)?
While there's likely no rule against having The Cat or The Dog as an avatar, by all indications Dragon is far more likely to choose a relatively normal avatar rather than to try to power-game as Pete has been doing.
IceKitsune wrote:OK lets assume here that they do have some sort of significances in the game what could it possibly be what would set them apart from being any different than anyone else in the neighborhood (forgoing the fact that there main characters in the comic)
It's really hard to say at this point, but it could be their relationship with one another will eventually open doors for other pets. They may, in time, 'come out' as being platonic lovers, which would likely rock the pet community. Remember that in her prophecy she said:

"The hour shall come to pass, your lives will be changed forever in ways you cannot imagine, for you stare now into the abyss, unable to comprehend what you see.
"The truth shall be brought to the light, and I fear that day, for all who do not hold love in their hearts shall perish, and their souls will be broken into shards as countless as all the sand on the face of the Earth.
"Plus it's terrible for your complexion."

Since both Grape and Peanut are there when she said it, she must have considered it important to tell them. It seems unlikely she'd do so if they were only bit players, and it wouldn't explain why she 'sought out' Peanut to start with since if they're normal all that would do was keep Pete from one type of an avatar. If there was nothing all that special about Grape, why would Dragon care? She hardly seems like the type to deliberately block another player from doing something if there's not a good reason.
IceKitsune wrote:Edit: Also then why would Pete find it weird that Dragon and Tarot were still with Peanut? It would make sense they would be because Peanut and Grape are special to the game and you would want to protect them and Pete's line indicates its weird that Dragon is still hang out with Peanut and Grape there for its unlikely they have any real significance to the game at all.
Well, consider it this way: Dragon probably told Tarot that Pete wanted to use The Cat as his avatar. The only way to prevent him from doing this was to find The Cat and make it so that when Pete became free The Cat would be repulsed by the idea of becoming Pete's avatar. Since The Cat and The Dog may have been destined to be together, she arrived when The Dog was alone and chose to become his companion (and, in an unforseen twist, fell in love with him).

Pete seems to be socially unsavvy and probably just wondered why Dragon's avatar was still hanging around with The Dog even after her initial purpose (to prevent Pete from gaining The Cat) was accomplished. If it had been him, he'd almost certainly have dumped The Dog shortly after accomplishing his goal.
Image"Remember kids, only you can prevent a fiery apocalypse!"
Ratros

Post by Ratros »

Oh for the love of Pete! Sinder, Ice Ice baby, second panel of today's comic. King can still be an avatar. He is in no way ruled out by the forces that be, but he can be a royal pain and refuse to play, though he might just change with the rewards.

And yes, all the puns are intentional.
And then God saw the havoc that humanity had wrought upon the earth, and he said unto them 'muffins and cookies kids, get off my lawn'
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

704 comments on this comic strip? Its King is that popular? xD.
The Game

Post by The Game »

Hry! i was just realized something!!!
https://www.housepetscomic.com/2010/04/05/quick-fix/ in the second panel Tarot says 'The Dragon help us!'.

We finally know what she's talking about!!!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Ratros wrote:Oh for the love of Pete! Sinder, Ice Ice baby, second panel of today's comic. King can still be an avatar. He is in no way ruled out by the forces that be, but he can be a royal pain and refuse to play, though he might just change with the rewards.

And yes, all the puns are intentional.
Er?

The Great Kitsune tells the Spirit Dragon that she can't turn Joel/King back into a human and that he has to be either an unrelated third party or an enemy character. Pete can't use Joel/King as an avatar because he'd need the man-dog's permission and there's no way he's getting it.

Additionally, I don't think Sinder needs to chill.

The Game wrote:Hry! i was just realized something!!!
[link] in the second panel Tarot says 'The Dragon help us!'.

I'm pretty sure that's Max, actually, responding to Tarot's announcement that the hyena army has already arrived.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Ratros

Post by Ratros »

Barkeron wrote:704 comments on this comic strip? Its King is that popular? xD.
No, only Pete is that popular.
And then God saw the havoc that humanity had wrought upon the earth, and he said unto them 'muffins and cookies kids, get off my lawn'
Ratros

Post by Ratros »

Dissension wrote:
Er?

The Great Kitsune tells the Spirit Dragon that she can't turn Joel/King back into a human and that he has to be either an unrelated third party or an enemy character. Pete can't use Joel/King as an avatar because he'd need the man-dog's permission and there's no way he's getting it.

No no no, Ice Ice Baby = IceKitsune/old seventies song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rog8ou-ZepE

I wasn't telling anyone to chill, just pointing out that King can still be an avatar, and I did mention that he would probably purfer (yes that's how I say it, I'm southren) not to (being a royal pain).
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ratros wrote:
Dissension wrote:
Er?

No no no, Ice Ice Baby = IceKitsune/old seventies song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rog8ou-ZepE

I wasn't telling anyone to chill, just pointing out that King can still be an avatar, and I did mention that he would probably purfer (yes that's how I say it, I'm southren) not to (being a royal pain).
Ok first thing Ice Ice Baby is a song from 1990 not the 70s (Ok it took some stuff from Under Pressure but that song was from 1981 not the 70s). And your right he can still be (I worded my post a little wrong) but there is almost no way hes going to be Pete's Avatar at this point.
Ratros

Post by Ratros »

IceKitsune wrote: Ok first thing Ice Ice Baby is a song from 1990 not the 70s (Ok it took some stuff from Under Pressure but that song was from 1981 not the 70s). And your right he can still be (I worded my post a little wrong) but there is almost no way hes going to be Pete's Avatar at this point.
Meh, I think Pete is a little to stubborn to just give up on another potential avatar, so I think he's gonna try and persuade King somehow. Oh being off by two years ain't that bad, is it?
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I wonder if Daisy will be Pete's new avatar? Wouldn't exactly be hard to determine, would it? *laughs hysterically*

ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Dissension wrote:I wonder if Daisy will be Pete's new avatar? Wouldn't exactly be hard to determine, would it? *laughs hysterically*
I hope she is--maybe then she'd actually be a character instead of a walking "running gag" (I cannot believe I just said that.... :P )....
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

On the other hand, I'm sure Bino could be persuaded with an offer of ultimate power, or Joey just for giggles. = P

ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

https://www.housepetscomic.com/2010/04/05/quick-fix/ in the second panel Tarot says 'The Dragon help us!'.

I think that was Grape, and she's probably talking about the Dragon Council or something from the Pridelands book.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

ctcmjh wrote:

I think that was Grape, and she's probably talking about the Dragon Council or something from the Pridelands book.
ctcmjh is right, that's the only way I ever interpreted it as well (except that I don't think I paid attention to that part of the book.... :oops: ).
PF chars

--Phoenix

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Guys. Housepets! has jumped the shark. It's all crazy fantasy now and has no basis in simple character interaction anymore.

I thought this was absolutely adorable. And I guess it counts out King living with Fox right now. Guess Rick is still in the habit of making double strips, too.

...How does King reach the sink?
Last edited by Sleet on Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

So either he hasn't got his dog routine down yet or he thought the WHOLE THING was a dream.
Last edited by yoyodude on Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

Okay, I laughed.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Sleet wrote:Guys. Housepets! has jumped the shark. It's all crazy fantasy now and has no basis in simple character interaction anymore.

I thought this was absolutely adorable. And I guess it counts out King living with Fox right now. Guess Rick is still in the habit of making double strips, too.

...How does King reach the sink?
That's what I wanted to know....

Until you asked that I wondered if he was in his own regular home where he lived as Joel, or something.... :?
PF chars

--Phoenix

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Well... The new comic is funny. Seriously though, while this joke has been done a million times, King somehow makes it fresh. Maybe it's because he's a Corgi. Or maybe it's because that's the second time he has managed to mangle his face in less then 24 hours.
Yes... I was waiting all this time for the update...

Awesome way to end an arc.
Frankenstein Shelley
S-7; P- 8; E- 6; C- 4; I- 7; A- 5; L- 5
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

Old habit die hard.
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

:lol: Ok that was funny but really I want to know how much longer is this arc going to be? I like King and everything but there can't be much left to tell about this arc. I'm guessing its going to end on Friday next week. (as to have a week of one offs)
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

Uh Rick, I don't wanna make you have to redraw stuff... again, but did you forget King's tail?

O__________o
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Wolf wrote: Awesome way to end an arc.
Actually I think everyone would hate me if that's where it ended; I need to round the thing out.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

yoyodude wrote:Uh Rick, I don't wanna make you have to redraw stuff... again, but did you forget King's tail?

O__________o
This is a corgi
Notice the lack of tail
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

EEP! :shock: His tail! Somebody stole King's tail!
rickgriffin wrote:
Wolf wrote: Awesome way to end an arc.
Actually I think everyone would hate me if that's where it ended; I need to round the thing out.
I'm glad it's not going to end there.

Something just occurred to me--what if the MILTONS adopted King? :lol:
PF chars

--Phoenix

PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Yoooooooou just like to keep us guessing a bit longer don't you? King by himself in an empty house wouldn't make much sense anyway. :P
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

He has a little one though right? It just seemed a little odd
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

yoyodude wrote:Uh Rick, I don't wanna make you have to redraw stuff... again, but did you forget King's tail?

O__________o
This is as close to having a tail as King gets. It's probably only visible when he's wet. Corgis generally have tiny/nonexistent tails.
yoyodude wrote:He has a little one though right? It just seemed a little odd
Well almost everything has some kind of tail, some more degenerate than others. Even we do. Press hard enough down there and you'll feel the bone. We rate pretty high on the tail degeneracy scale, obviously, so most wouldn't call that a tail. But where does "tiny tail" end and "no tail" start? :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

Okay :) . It just struck me as a bit empty. I know corgis have stumpys but I didn't know how visible it would normally be.

I like this specific strip, it reminds me of my morning after STAYING UP UNTIL 1:00 FOR A COMIC. XD
Ratros

Post by Ratros »

Rick didn't so much jump the shark as, backflipped over said shark into a double axle spin with a loop de loop and a cherry on top. He then proceeded to knock out the shark so it wouldn't bother him while he walked off the water. A much cooler and more satisfying way to do things.

Also he's torturing me by not telling us whether or not Pete is still allowed to be on Babylon Gardens.
Turnsky

Post by Turnsky »

Sleet wrote:Guys. Housepets! has jumped the shark. It's all crazy fantasy now and has no basis in simple character interaction anymore.
Pssst, it's a talking animal comic, i'm pretty sure reality left the building from the get go. :P
gagi

Post by gagi »

Rick, you're awesome!

omg this page is such a win,... i though we would see more of Peanut and Grape, but lol .. this beats everything arfff

once we i was on a boat with my friends and we all shaved our heads just for fun, but the battery died when i was just like king (but on the top of my head) lol :)
arff
Chairoum
Location: Floating on a cloud; dropping waterballoons on your head.

Post by Chairoum »

Turnsky wrote:
Pssst, it's a talking animal comic, i'm pretty sure reality left the building from the get go. :P
I second ^'s sentiment.

Also, I restate the adorableness of King. And add some comment attesting to the adorableness of Fox.

That is all.

OT-Deacon: S-4 P-8 E-3 C-8 I-8 A-5 L-6.
Rojo Ninja

Post by Rojo Ninja »

I agree that the new one is awesome and funneh!

ImageImage
ImageImage
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

double strips forever
ImageImage
ImageImage
Rojo Ninja

Post by Rojo Ninja »

Sinder wrote:double strips forever