Joys And Sorrows

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Harry Johnathan

Re: Joys And Sorrows

Post by Harry Johnathan »

I have really vivid traumatic memories and I just want them to go away, and getting help and support is only making it worse because it feels like digging up water under the bridge.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I sympathize. Trauma is really hard to process, and it takes a lot of mental energy and it can be really painful
Still, the fact that it hurts is, to me, an indicator that it isn't quite "water under the bridge", and that the ways we've protected ourselves from our traumas in order to get through them in the moment is not always the best strategy in the long term. I'm still working through mine, and your situation is certainly different from mine, but I've seen my own progress, and I don't think I would have gotten this far without allowing myself to feel those emotions and discovering I can stand up under them and even embrace them at times
So whatever your situation is, I do hope you won't give it up
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

What he said. Memories are layers. Don't forget you can add new layers of positive memories.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sunshine, they tell me, is the best healer. Experiences remembered can give seed to growth; traumas buried can become toxic.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Take is steady Harry, time is a great healer.

I bet Sophie loved this time of year, everything smells so fresh and new outdoors.
Disproportionately Dappled
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

She did, DDeer. Being part sheltie, Sophie reveled in all the aromas, in the warmth, the flower and shrubs, and all the critters like turtles and fledglings she'd encounter on her walks and explorations. And today, her favorite ice cream stand opened up. They'll ask about her so I won't go just yet .....
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Bet they will miss her.

Joys: Saw a hare on a drive down a local country lane, hopped out in front of me and proceeded to carry on down the lane at a leisurely pace, wasn't bothered by me at all, glanced back at me a few times then eventually hopped back into the hedgerow, first time I've seen one up close, don't see that many round here. (maybe it knew I'm not a preadator ;) )
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The Eastern Cottontail is now on the endangered species list up here in northern New England. We have a family of them living in our vyscithia bush for about three years now, don't know how they manage. My neighbor doesn't walk her Scottie, Brody (Sophie's old "boy friend") past the bush anymore as he's very interested in them. When I was a child, they were EVERYWHERE and quite brazen in exposing themselves to danger. This family is much more cautious, especially since we have a Cooper's Hawk around who comes by occasionally to try his luck at picking off a songbird or chipmunk from the local bird feeders.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: My mother is sick which she caught from her father which means at some point I probably will get it also.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:34 pm The Eastern Cottontail is now on the endangered species list up here in northern New England. We have a family of them living in our vyscithia bush for about three years now, don't know how they manage. My neighbor doesn't walk her Scottie, Brody (Sophie's old "boy friend") past the bush anymore as he's very interested in them. When I was a child, they were EVERYWHERE and quite brazen in exposing themselves to danger. This family is much more cautious, especially since we have a Cooper's Hawk around who comes by occasionally to try his luck at picking off a songbird or chipmunk from the local bird feeders.
Not heard of a vyscithia bush, is it similar to a forsythia? Quite a few rabbits around my locality, no chipmunks though, we don't have them at all, they look cute little critters, remind me of red squirrels in a way. Have a pair of Blackbirds nesting in our garden again this year along with robins and wrens which is nice, like blackbirds, they can be quite tame once they get used to you and realise you are not a threat, seem quite intelligent to me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Vyscithia are a leafy bush which has thin yellow leaves obscuring an incredible network of interlocking interior branches. They can be very large and extensive. They provide shelter for small mammals, reptiles, and song birds because they are almost impenetrable to larger animals and most birds of prey.

Thanks to our neighbors, we have lots of song birds - bluebirds, junkoes, buntings, martins, finches and goldfinches, cardinals, jays, and waxwings. Since our yard is wild and heavily seeded, we also provide encouragement for their gathering. Crows and the Cooper's hawk are somewhat sinister presences, but they don't seem to have had much impact on our visitors and residents. We also get the occasional snake or turtle which are also welcome.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Confusion: How the heck did I get my butt beat at Monopoly by a computer TWICE? :?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:13 pm Confusion: How the heck did I get my butt beat at Monopoly by a computer TWICE? :?
... because computers are evil?
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Joy/Annoyance: Far Cry 6 is having a free weekend (Meaning you can play the full game all weekend until Monday, then you have to buy it if you wish to continue playing it) on Xbox...and the ding-dang game is 91.21 GB on Xbox O.O

Sorrow: I miss when the largest a game got in file size was a mere 20gb.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: We have a beautiful portable fireplace that we got from my aunt because she and her husband are moving into an assisted living facility.

Sorrow: Of course the only time we are able to get possession of it is when it starts to warm up. :roll:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:55 pm Joy: We have a beautiful portable fireplace that we got from my aunt because she and her husband are moving into an assisted living facility.

Sorrow: Of course the only time we are able to get possession of it is when it starts to warm up. :roll:
Warmth ....... that doesn't start until May, right? ;) Enjoy!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: With the weather warming up I am starting to get more energy than I had in the winter!
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Yay! And at least you’ll have the fireplace for next winter.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

trekkie wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:26 pm Yay! And at least you’ll have the fireplace for next winter.
You're always so positive, trek!! :D
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

So ... maybe there'll be spring after all.
Chieris

Post by Chieris »

Sorrow: One of my dogs has cancer. He was taken to the vet to see whether a surgery can be performed on him in order to make the tumor shrink. The results were not at all fortunate (he has advanced cancer) which means that he has about 1 or 2 months left
I dunno, just imagine something funny here

And also just to advertise myself:
https://www.furaffinity.net/user/chieris/
https://www.deviantart.com/dangraythewolf
Retrospring for my Housepets characters: https://retrospring.net/@Garfield474
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

So sorry to hear that, Chieris.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

My condolences, too. Chieris. We lost a dog to cancer, too, more than a decade ago. She was one of these big, galumphy, goofy dogs, a mix of retriever and chow. My youngest daughter had stolen her out of a yard where she'd been chained as an miserable, emaciated pup. I had a talk with the owner, hoping to smooth things over (but resolved not to return the dog). She threatened to call the police but happened to mention that she hadn't noticed the dog was missing for three days. I bluffed that, since I was on the Board of Directors at the Animal Shelter (true at the time), I could retaliate with pressing animal cruelty charges (also true, but her case would likely have been the more serious charge). This being America, we settled things over money and I basically bought the dog. Halley, named after the comet Hale-Bopp then streaking over North Carolina skies, was with us for nine years.

Six months before Sophie was beckoned home, we learned that she had a mass beside her spleen. After a conversation with the vet, we decided to do nothing since she was not in pain and the odds of cancer were 50/50. The exploratory surgery alone might have proved debilitating or even fatal at her ago (20 years +/-). They gave her a month to live. She stayed for six.

Treasure the time remaining Chieris and, again, I'm so sorry.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

My sympathies, Cheris.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Took the missus out for ice cream this evening.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

My daughter in Los Angeles just changed jobs and has a week off. She's planning to come to New Hampshire so we're looking forward to seeing her again.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: The most recent school shooting. Enough said.
Harry Johnathan

Sorry for your loss, Cheris, believe me: I know how it feels. That's unfortunate, Dayzee. That's nice to hear, Weston.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

What makes it all the more ironic is the fact that a few days BEFORE the shooting I had to take an online course for work.

The topic? Workplace safety (aka what to do if a disgruntled person comes in with a gun).
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Sorry to hear the the news over there and sorry to hear about your Dog Chieris.

Joy went for a walk and stumbled across a herd of 20-30 Red Deer, not wild, on open farm land, they seemed not in the slightest bit worried, a few stags and many does, lots of paths thereabouts so I guess they are used to strangers passing through. Kept a respectful distance, quite large, reds. weather here has been good the last few days so been out in the garden weeding and repotting the plants, rhododendrons are looking good this year.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

DDeer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:04 pm Sorry to hear the the news over there and sorry to hear about your Dog Chieris.

Joy went for a walk and stumbled across a herd of 20-30 Red Deer, not wild, on open farm land, they seemed not in the slightest bit worried, a few stags and many does, lots of paths thereabouts so I guess they are used to strangers passing through. Kept a respectful distance, quite large, reds. weather here has been good the last few days so been out in the garden weeding and repotting the plants, rhododendrons are looking good this year.
It's always a good day when I see deer. :)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: The widower of one of the teachers that were killed in the Texas massacre died of a broken heart. So their 4 kids lost both parents within days of each other. :cry:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:54 am Sorrow: The widower of one of the teachers that were killed in the Texas massacre died of a broken heart. So their 4 kids lost both parents within days of each other. :cry:
sigh. :cry:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: Had a two day break from work!

Sorrow: It ends tomorrow.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Well, all good things must come to an end, I suppose.

How do you like your job, Dayzee?

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

My job is alright and it really isn't stressful. Though tomorrow I am worried about people wanting lobsters.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:56 am My job is alright and it really isn't stressful. Though tomorrow I am worried about people wanting lobsters.
The lobsters - you gotta serve `em or you gotta catch `em?
Harry Johnathan

No, she has to dance the Lobster Quadrille.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Harry Johnathan wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:18 pm No, she has to dance the Lobster Quadrille.
Words and music by Lewis Carroll.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have to serve them which I was worried meant fishing them out of the tank. Turns out we have a metric truck ton of cooler boxers of lobsters so I didn't have to.