What do you think about a Housepets game for Nintendo Wii?

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

crazyBalto

What do you think about a Housepets game for Nintendo Wii?

Post by crazyBalto »

It's just something that I had got in mind...But I would need a group for that. :?

My Idea:
*Make characters 3D (Use some filters to looks like cartoon would be a good idea, if possible).
*Use fanfics or arcs to make the story in game.
*And use the best from the Wii mote. :)

And it's possible, but if you still don't believe, go to Wiibrew. ;)

*if this topic is in the wrong place move it, please. :roll:
Last edited by crazyBalto on Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shyanne

Re: What do you think about a Housepets game for Nintendo Wi

Post by Shyanne »

I think it would suck with the motion controllers. I see it more as a DS game honestly. But I'm biased against motion controllers though.. and cell shaded 'Pets! :)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't think it would translate well. Things that are great in one medium aren't necessarily great in every medium.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
crazyBalto

Post by crazyBalto »

Okay, sorry.It is just that I like video game. :?
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

I am not against the idea per-say, I just fear the outcome.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

The only way I could see it working would be some sort of short Platformer or better yet a Point and Click Adventure game.
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

I can't see any story relating to the Housepets universe actually being playable.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

*replaces Mario sprite in Super Mario Bros with Peanut*
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Challenger01

Post by Challenger01 »

I can totally see that Rick! It's just... I love the idea, but the results would, unfortunately, not be pretty considering it is kind of a limited audience. Still, great concept! :D
I'm going to go to a Furry Convention wearing a shirt that says "I'm a Furry. All I do I Pawrty" Please tell me you get that joke.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

rickgriffin wrote:*replaces Mario sprite in Super Mario Bros with Peanut*
"Thank you, Peanut, but our Princess is, despite all appearances, not a cat."
Last edited by Sleet on Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Challenger01

Post by Challenger01 »

Sleet wrote:
rickgriffin wrote:*replaces Mario sprite in Super Mario Bros with Peanut*
"Thank you, Peanut, but our Princess is, despite all appearances, not a cat."
Sleet, you win, hands down! That was too much for me :lol:
I'm going to go to a Furry Convention wearing a shirt that says "I'm a Furry. All I do I Pawrty" Please tell me you get that joke.
valerio

Post by valerio »

1) I believe this thread belongs to 'Media Median' section in the 'Not the Comic' board.
2) I LOVE the idea of a HP videogame, but I see it more as something a-la-sims, where you can build up your own HP universe using the comic as foundation. Repeating the whole story on a different medium may work for a TV series, but a videogamer would want something new and original.
3) PS3 as platform.
Augh!
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

I have been considering this too... Well, but not on the consoles, just generally as a game.

I really see Housepets becoming a simulator more than anything else, but that will probably only entertain the fan... Unless I can somewhat... Um, do something great... (I am still thinking, really.)

Housepets as a platformer or an adventure game isn't a bad concept, but you will need a very solid game mechanism, so that even the non-fan would find it fun. However, solid game mechanism has nothing to do with Housepets, so you can easily apply it to a different theme. In other words, it may become like forcing the theme to fit the gameplay, instead of having a gameplay that fits the theme.

I think Housepets can relate to a large audience, but to find a fitting and fun game mechanism to go along with the theme won't be that easy.
crazyBalto

Post by crazyBalto »

I thought that make a RPG game based on HP fanfics (maybe mixing some) could make a good game. :roll:
Hera Ledro

Post by Hera Ledro »

Plausible, but would it sell well? I highly doubt it. Housepets!, popular as it is, does not have a large enough fanbase, nor would its genre really appeal to a lot of gamers I think. Of course it would be a great game for kids - I can imagine Peanut and Grape running around in a world very much like Super Mario World - but the gaming market is diminishing with children. We are seeing fewer and fewer games come out for the younger generations and more come out for the older ones, esp. my generation. There are platforms such as the Wii and the DS that may promote such a game, but it would need a very good concept pitch behind it.

So yes, it is more than possible, I just think that due to the market for games now, the net revenue would not justify the cost of production. I.e. would cost too much and wouldn't bring in enough cash.

Perhaps a side-scroller game on the homepage would suffice? A Flash game that doesn't take too much time or effort to create or play seems like the best idea, as it would be both popular and act as a decent fanservice.
crazyBalto

Post by crazyBalto »

Hera Ledro wrote:Plausible, but would it sell well? I highly doubt it. Housepets!, popular as it is, does not have a large enough fanbase, nor would its genre really appeal to a lot of gamers I think. Of course it would be a great game for kids - I can imagine Peanut and Grape running around in a world very much like Super Mario World - but the gaming market is diminishing with children. We are seeing fewer and fewer games come out for the younger generations and more come out for the older ones, esp. my generation. There are platforms such as the Wii and the DS that may promote such a game, but it would need a very good concept pitch behind it.

So yes, it is more than possible, I just think that due to the market for games now, the net revenue would not justify the cost of production. I.e. would cost too much and wouldn't bring in enough cash.

Perhaps a side-scroller game on the homepage would suffice? A Flash game that doesn't take too much time or effort to create or play seems like the best idea, as it would be both popular and act as a decent fanservice.
My idea was to make a game for free and put it to download on internet(but if nobody can help me making the game, so I gonna make it with rpg maker or game maker);
valerio

Post by valerio »

you have our total approval.
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

Does the WII even have any sort of official SDK for the general public? I don't think so, you'd probably have to hack your Wii and download 3rd party software for developing anything on the wii. And does anyone who even reads the housepets comic have the skills to do such a thing? O.o Especially 3D and cell shaded like that.
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

ReCreate wrote:Does the WII even have any sort of official SDK for the general public? I don't think so, you'd probably have to hack your Wii and download 3rd party software for developing anything on the wii. And does anyone who even reads the housepets comic have the skills to do such a thing? O.o Especially 3D and cell shaded like that.
There is no public SDK for the Wii. You'd have to hack it. Of course, Nintendo hates this, and has in the past put out a Wii system update that "bricks" Wii consoles. Careful with this.

Entertaining Idea though.
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

housepets MMORPG

Do stuff around the house, get allowance, spend it on betting against your best friends
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Would it involve having a selection of hundreds of weapons that can utilize the Wii motion sensor while involving in the violence towards a pet named Bino?

(There's a large grammatical error here, I just know it.)
What do you mean "watch my words"? It's my tongue that I sharpened.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Looks right to me.

Housepets! annoying lose-all-your-friends Facebook game, anyone?
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Sleet wrote:Housepets! annoying lose-all-your-friends Facebook game, anyone?
If it earns me a tag as a "creepy friend" then I'm in.

Except, of course, if that's a lose-all-your-friends-because-you-are-sending-a-killer-computer-virus lose-all-your-friends game.
What do you mean "watch my words"? It's my tongue that I sharpened.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

the wii game would just have a big text at the main menu saying.

<press start to play the game>

and after you press start:

<you lost the game>
Play again?
Yes / No
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

THE GAME IS A LIIIEEEE

/killedforbadjoke\oldjoke
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

I hate myself so much. I have the will, but don't have the skills!
Hera Ledro wrote:Plausible, but would it sell well? I highly doubt it. Housepets!, popular as it is, does not have a large enough fanbase, nor would its genre really appeal to a lot of gamers I think. Of course it would be a great game for kids - I can imagine Peanut and Grape running around in a world very much like Super Mario World - but the gaming market is diminishing with children. We are seeing fewer and fewer games come out for the younger generations and more come out for the older ones, esp. my generation. There are platforms such as the Wii and the DS that may promote such a game, but it would need a very good concept pitch behind it.

There is really no point in trying to limit ourselves to a single audience, let's focus on entertaining everyone in general instead. Besides, the content/theme/concept is what really fuels the imagination, the game mechanism or genre is only a method to manifest the content.

Also, good game makes cash. If we were to make a good game we won't need to worry about not enough profit. On the other hand, this will all remain as an empty talk as long as we don't have any money, any skills, or any ideas.

Things with effort don't always come out good, but I seriously don't expect anything without effort to come out good, ever.

But for now I should try to prove my game developing skills first instead of making empty promise.
crazyBalto

Post by crazyBalto »

Aquablast wrote:I hate myself so much. I have the will, but don't have the skills!

There is really no point in trying to limit ourselves to a single audience, let's focus on entertaining everyone in general instead. Besides, the content/theme/concept is what really fuels the imagination, the game mechanism or genre is only a method to manifest the content.

Also, good game makes cash. If we were to make a good game we won't need to worry about not enough profit. On the other hand, this will all remain as an empty talk as long as we don't have any money, any skills, or any ideas.

Things with effort don't always come out good, but I seriously don't expect anything without effort to come out good, ever.

But for now I should try to prove my game developing skills first instead of making empty promise.
Good point.I have some skills but it's too limited to one genre of game(plataform) and only one program that's called Game Maker... :? But I'll try the best to learn how to make some games for Wii.(That's the best that I can say now. :roll: )
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

crazyBalto wrote:Good point.I have some skills but it's too limited to one genre of game(plataform) and only one program that's called Game Maker... :? But I'll try the best to learn how to make some games for Wii.(That's the best that I can say now. :roll: )
I used Game Maker and RPG Maker before too, but now I am focusing on Flash.

However, there are multiple sides even in game designing. Skilled programmer doesn't mean skilled game designer.

But for now, I think you should just focus on Game Maker. You should definitely learn to make games for Wii, but that's going to take a lot and you should master the basic first.

... Or perhaps you are already a master in basic game designing, I can't really tell unless I see your game.
crazyBalto

Post by crazyBalto »

Aquablast wrote:
crazyBalto wrote:Good point.I have some skills but it's too limited to one genre of game(plataform) and only one program that's called Game Maker... :? But I'll try the best to learn how to make some games for Wii.(That's the best that I can say now. :roll: )

However, there are multiple sides even in game designing. Skilled programmer doesn't mean skilled game designer.

But for now, I think you should just focus on Game Maker. You should definitely learn to make games for Wii, but that's going to take a lot and you should master the basic first.

... Or perhaps you are already a master in basic game designing, I can't really tell unless I see your game.
I'm not using Game Maker anymore because it gets blocked by my computer.

I'll try to use again Game Maker so I can show you my skills :)
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

crazyBalto wrote:
Aquablast wrote:

I'm not using Game Maker anymore because it gets blocked by my computer.

I'll try to use again Game Maker so I can show you my skills :)
Good luck Balto, it'll be interesting to see what you can come up with. :D
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

crazyBalto wrote: Good point.I have some skills but it's too limited to one genre of game(plataform) and only one program that's called Game Maker... :? But I'll try the best to learn how to make some games for Wii.(That's the best that I can say now. :roll: )
Well, actually, someone is working on a 3rd party GM runner for the WII. (by the name of Aragon<insert numbers>, IIRC) Though, it will probably fail as all other GM clones/ports/runners out there have. :P
no longer active, sorry
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Imagine what Tarot would be like. Everyone would want to be Tarot because she's the only character with real powers (as well as King and Great Kitsune, but they don't appear nearly as often).
Agent Sandwich

Post by Agent Sandwich »

I think HP characters will make a good go-kart racing game.

I SHOTGUN PEANUT!!!!!!!
Yes, I support catlovers! You got a problem mate?

Thank you Housepets! Forum. I've accepted myself.
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

Really, I think it will only work as some sort of Sims and/or My Sims game. (As in you can make your own character as well)
But who knows?
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

I think that Tails++ could help with the programming part of this a lot.(he's a very good programmer) He'd be more than glad to help make a housepets game. Though I don't know about for the wii specifically, as I don't think he has one. And it would have to be homebrew. :roll: though i'm not sure, i think he should speak for himself

Though we'd still need some artists for the graphics(3D models? cell shaded 3D sounds a bit too tedious for something fan made, and not commercial) but i don't know.
no longer active, sorry
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

ReCreate wrote:I think that Tails++ could help with the programming part of this a lot.(he's a very good programmer) He'd be more than glad to help make a housepets game. Though I don't know about for the wii specifically, as I don't think he has one. And it would have to be homebrew. :roll: though i'm not sure, i think he should speak for himself

Though we'd still need some artists for the graphics(3D models? cell shaded 3D sounds a bit too tedious for something fan made, and not commercial) but i don't know.
*shrug*
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

Private Elliot wrote:
ReCreate wrote:I think that Tails++ could help with the programming part of this a lot.(he's a very good programmer) He'd be more than glad to help make a housepets game. Though I don't know about for the wii specifically, as I don't think he has one. And it would have to be homebrew. :roll: though i'm not sure, i think he should speak for himself

*shrug*
at the top or lower statement? Ill assume the lower.
no longer active, sorry
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

When i think of a Housepets Wii game, i think of a Smash Brothers game with this theme going on constantly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIjW17IPRdg
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

GameCobra wrote:When i think of a Housepets Wii game, i think of a Smash Brothers game with this theme going on constantly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIjW17IPRdg
Ahh.. Delfino Plaza... So many fights...
valerio

Post by valerio »

When I think of a HP game, I think of SIMS or Second Life, but funnier.