PF: Yorkshire Fields OOC

Put down the character sheets and walk away!

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Re: PF: Yorkshire Fields OOC

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Yeah, I know, I'm thinking of posting. Just pointing out though that it was us waiting on you, lol. Check to see who last posted next time.
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

Hey, Nitz, did you say something about rain and downpours? I think it is a good idea to bring it in now!

@TMH
Did you miss this part?
Aquablast wrote:Bullet couldn't understand the last bits, but not having friends was something he could help! "Oh! We can be your friends, if you want! Right, guys?" He smiled and looked at his other two new friends.
Or does Rion have nothing to add?
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

There was a strong squall at 11:54 AM. The actual rain has yet to come though anyone can trigger it.
What do you mean "watch my words"? It's my tongue that I sharpened.
The Moon Howler

Post by The Moon Howler »

Aquablast wrote:Hey, Nitz, did you say something about rain and downpours? I think it is a good idea to bring it in now!

@TMH
Did you miss this part?
Aquablast wrote:Bullet couldn't understand the last bits, but not having friends was something he could help! "Oh! We can be your friends, if you want! Right, guys?" He smiled and looked at his other two new friends.
Or does Rion have nothing to add?
I am having hard time finding it, actually. which page is it?
I am The Moon Howler - the being with no exact form. I serve the Moon Goddess and in return, she gives me my muse and my shape.

Housepets: Silver the Cat! fanfic

My RP Characters
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

The post! It is funny because you replied to the one below it!
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Hypergenesis wrote:There was a strong squall at 11:54 AM. The actual rain has yet to come though anyone can trigger it.
(( Replying to my own quote... Sad... ))

I'll be sure to trigger a heavy rain around 4-6 PM I hope everyone else would follow the weather. Although you may choose to have it earlier, though it can't be before 2 PM I guess.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Just so it's clear: I'm cutting this bizarre train off in my next post.
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

In case anyone didn't know, I might or might not be available for the next few days. So if I fail to show up, Hypergenesis will handle things as usual. (Actually, even if I show up he might still handle things anyway. :lol: )
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

So noticed that we have quite a large number of foreign pets which speaks their native tongue and a few intelligent pets that knows multiple languages. After doing a bit of checking on their players I noticed that some are native speakers of the language their pet character uses so my previous thought of the speeches being taken from a translator were put to ease quite a bit.

Now why am I bringing this up again? It's because talking in a foreign language actually has an impact on conversations that are made. Yet talking in a different language does bring up complications. I'm basing these "complications" from:
1) This is an English RP Thread. Whether or not it is said in the rules, it should be obvious enough that the common medium of communication is English.
2) It is rude to talk to another in a medium they do not understand. Even if we do have the use of translators, looking at English itself would be suffice to say that not all the words said would mean what they literally would.
3) Even if you are RPing with someone who does know the language, there will be readers that don't know the language. The English language would be excused from this reason because as reason 1 stated, This is an English RP Thread, which means those that read it are assumed to know English.

But even with these problems, it can't be denied that the use of another language does add to the impact given by the RP. Also, it is clear that there is no equal translation for every word into the English language.

Thus I propose that we use a variety of methods to tackle this problem.
1) Footnotes
Example:

The ferret carefully balanced across the iron beam with the pot of boiling water to deliver to his owner when a sudden gust of wind caused him to momentarily lose his balance. However that moment was all it took for the water to escape from its container and fall down towards the people on the ground. "对不起", the ferret shouted from the top of his lungs knowing that even though there was no casualties, it was still just proper of him to apologize for his mistake.

(( 对不起 - Duì bù qǐ - Sorry ))

As you can see, by giving a translation in a footnote, the character's speech could be typed in the other language without interruption and the reader can simply refer to the footnote while reading to clarify themselves of what the character said and/or what the character meant.

2) Mixture
Example:

As the sun slowly crept into the bedroom, light footsteps and the jingle of a leash could be heard approaching the single bed of a young man who was sleeping with his belly exposed. The small figure leaped into the air and landed perfectly on all fours beside the man's head. "Buenos Dias, it's a very fine day for a walk don't you agree?", greeted the chihuahua to his owner who was still burying himself in his sheets.

In this method, one should focus pulling the reader so that he/she would unconsciously understand or assume that the said phrase would be what it means. Usually descriptions and the method the action is done would give away the nature of the phrase. However it should be clear that you will not be able to always use this method as it is only effective at certain times.

3) Brackets
Example:

"<Martian>I don't think I will even need to create a narrative to explain this</Martian>", said the alien to the man, not knowing that the lifeform would not understand a single word it said.

This method is best used by people who doesn't know the language, yet need to have their characters speak as such. It is clear to see that it doesn't need any translation and the recipient would simply understand it or not. It also gives ease to the players/readers as it does not involve a re-read of the statement nor will it need to be explained.

Personally I suggest people using the third method as it involves the least amount of effort for the general, but I'm not going to restrict people from using the other methods nor their own methods so long as you PROVIDE A TRANSLATION AND/OR AN UNDERSTANDING and NOT MAKE EXCERPTS PROVIDED BY AN ONLINE TRANSLATOR.

Also...
SPELLINGS PLEASE!
It shouldn't be too hard to type correctly and it is in the rules...
Rick Griffin wrote:Type coherently. People have to be able to read what you write, considering that everything on this forum is in text. So that includes no inb4, lrn2, lawl, tl;dr, etc.
That said, minor errors would be fine, but if it starts to look like it's typed by a blindfolded one-armed monkey riding a unicycle on a tight rope then I'll just take what you write in literally as is.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

to add to this, I think we should also do things the way movies do it (i.e. - if what the character said is not crucial to the conversation or if it is only a fragment of the post not intended to be understood by other characters, providing a translation should be optional). like Tenebrae's use of French. this may fit with the mixture method, but I'm just making a more specific situation.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

I guess that would be fine-ish...

Although if the word is very descriptive, for example the translations of the word "callous", please provide the translation. Nothing would be worse than a pet going around town yelling hey "I'm a <insert word here>" and every pet being pleased to hear it just because <insert the same word here> sounds nice and it literally translates to a common household item despite it actually being an insult.
Although it would be funny.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

We should also start saying when characters have accents: I didn't immediately realize that Tenebrae and Rion were foreigners, but really, if you learned to speak in another country, you have an accent from there, and Tiara, being well read, would pick up on that.
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

HEAVY RAIN
at 2:20 PM. Skies darkened by 2:00 PM.

~YsF Weather Today.
valerio

Post by valerio »

need info:

who is at the park right now? and what they're doing?
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Phi, Varg, Alana, and Dusk are in the park right now, but they're about to leave.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Same with Tiara, Rion, Bullet, and Tenebrae, but they're a bit clumped, so I'd rather you not join them...
The Moon Howler

RockstarRaccoon wrote:Same with Tiara, Rion, Bullet, and Tenebrae, but they're a bit clumped, so I'd rather you not join them...
I must to agree, 4 people is crowd enough, but 5... It will take too long
I am The Moon Howler - the being with no exact form. I serve the Moon Goddess and in return, she gives me my muse and my shape.

My RP Characters
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Also, we've been pretty disjointed, and me being out of town right now won't help...
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:Also, we've been pretty disjointed, and me being out of town right now won't help...
Oops, I guess having two kinds of conversation at the same time really is a bad idea! :lol:
The Moon Howler

What was wrong with the forum yesterday? I tried to reply to Tenebray >>Twice<<< and twice it crashed!

My RP Characters
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

It was plain not working
Rendak

Post by Rendak »

^ What Meschy said

Also, oblivious fox and dog gamers are oblivious
(I almot typoed dog 'god', fitting for Apollo )
Husky's are the best dang dog in the existence of ever, fluffy and exciting, lovable and loving, cuddly and warm!

Don't be afraid to hit me up for my skype!
Chaplin

Post by Chaplin »

Reading Yorkshire Fields makes me LOL :lol:

And at times, it makes me go whaa?

You guys are interesting roleplayers.
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Thank you? XD

I don't know what to say actually. |D
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Chaplin wrote:Reading Yorkshire Fields makes me LOL :lol:

You should join.
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

So, as I said in the main OOC, I'll be on vacation for about a week. And I would really rather not slow things down. So... if anyone has any ideas about how to get Phi out of the way on short notice, I'm all ears.

Or... you know... eyes.

Whatever.
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:
Chaplin wrote:Reading Yorkshire Fields makes me LOL :lol:

You should join.
That sounds good to me! Though you have to get approved by the players too, but there is no limit on retries and we will help!
Coatl_Ruu wrote:So, as I said in the main OOC, I'll be on vacation for about a week. And I would really rather not slow things down. So... if anyone has any ideas about how to get Phi out of the way on short notice, I'm all ears.

Or... you know... eyes.

Whatever.
Just simply arrive at the place where your group were heading to, and get your character to go to toilet or something?
Chaplin

Post by Chaplin »

Hmm, how would you feel about my character being a Canadian Goose?
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

I don't think anyone will mind, it would be interesting I guess, if you can roleplay it.
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

I think that sounds okay, Canadian Goose as a pet isn't unheard of, is it?

Edit: Minor grammar mistake.
Last edited by Aquablast on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Chaplin wrote:Hmm, how would you feel about my character being a Canadian Goose?
just don't fly into any planes and send them into the Hudson River. I'm fine with it.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Crazy schedules and lazy gaming made me lose track of what's happening here. Actually all it takes is a simple read through less than 400 posts but I'm a bit lazy.
So I hope the players have been keeping track of their own times.

Also to Housedog and Brent,
Recently I noticed a lot of your posts have been single liners. Not trying to stop your fun but if it's possible to compress those posts, seeing as the posts come in rapid succession in a short timeframe I would like to assume both of you are either online at the same time and might have some form of communication other than the forum. I'm not telling you to do so but it would save space and would make your RP easier to read.

Might extend to Rendak and valerio as well.

But anyways, it's just a suggestion.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Hypergenesis wrote:Also to Housedog and Brent,
Recently I noticed a lot of your posts have been single liners. Not trying to stop your fun but if it's possible to compress those posts, seeing as the posts come in rapid succession in a short timeframe I would like to assume both of you are either online at the same time and might have some form of communication other than the forum. I'm not telling you to do so but it would save space and would make your RP easier to read.
well, I see it as a way to prevent us from getting too far ahead of the other groups, chronologically. by limiting our posts per day, going a somewhat long time between posts, and by not performing too many actions in each post we allow time for other groups to get further along. in case we ever want to re join with other groups.

but if more people are bugged by it, I'm sure we could do something.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

I don't think we need to get too technical about time. I am sure no one would blink at me if I claimed that every group except for Cesium and Mystic is at the same time space.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:well, I see it as a way to prevent us from getting too far ahead of the other groups, chronologically. by limiting our posts per day, going a somewhat long time between posts, and by not performing too many actions in each post we allow time for other groups to get further along. in case we ever want to re join with other groups.

When it comes to limit, you could just use a self-imposed limit even when RPing somewhere else or in the PM. Like 6 actions a day or something, before posting it and calling it a day.

Though I am not actually particularly bugged.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

I think the end all of this conversation is that we're telling you to use IRC or IM for RP and to post the edited transcript when you're done.
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Aquablast wrote:I don't think we need to get too technical about time. I am sure no one would blink at me if I claimed that every group except for Cesium and Mystic is at the same time space.
No, see you need time to connect events set by other players. True my character may be ahead of time so that most of the other pets' actions would not be of concern to me, but for example if I swim in the lake pond at 11:30, only those that are not yet past 11:30 could interact with me. What's more by taking time into account, the conditions and settings in which the RP would be taking place would have different results. There are some actions that can only occur at certain times like the switching on of the streetlights, missing the last train, meetings with NPC or secondary characters who are anchored with jobs, etc.

Yes, we don't need to take everything precisely but what I'm saying is that a character from a group that separated after watching a movie till after hours should not be able to watch the sunset. The timeframe at which the characters are currently operating in are often lost in roleplay since there is usually nothing that would remind you of it, furthermore not all players read everything so it's often easy to accidentally invite someone "free" but on a completely different time slot. It's just a little precaution that's all.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:well, I see it as a way to prevent us from getting too far ahead of the other groups, chronologically. by limiting our posts per day, going a somewhat long time between posts, and by not performing too many actions in each post we allow time for other groups to get further along. in case we ever want to re join with other groups.

I'm not actually "bugged" by it, just finding it a bit hard to follow at times. The game (no, not the forumite) is constantly narrated through speech and it just so happens that it goes along a snail's pace as every action is dictated. (Thanks to my piles of failures) Reading it is constantly a challenge as I try to build up the environment in which the two pets are playing, though all I can actually visualize is the game itself. Often times the actions of the characters (the pets) themselves are unknown due to the post being constantly centered on the game characters instead.

However, even with all that said, I'm not saying what your doing is wrong. Everyone is different after all. I was just wondering if you could compress the post so that reading it would be continuous and the transfer of the "feel" for the game would be more effective as the reader gets absorbed into the narrative. Just an opinion.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

first of all, I think we;re intending for the characters for the most part be sitting or standing and not doing much other than being focused on the game, so all that needs to really be visualized is the game itself.

second, and more importantly, we just got to the final boss battle, so all of this is pretty much moot.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Well if you decide to play another game it would be. |D

It's just something to consider for future RPing.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

I should really post.... but for some reason I'm not posting... oh well.....
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

Hypergenesis wrote:
Aquablast wrote:I don't think we need to get too technical about time. I am sure no one would blink at me if I claimed that every group except for Cesium and Mystic is at the same time space.
No, see you need time to connect events set by other players. True my character may be ahead of time so that most of the other pets' actions would not be of concern to me, but for example if I swim in the lake pond at 11:30, only those that are not yet past 11:30 could interact with me. What's more by taking time into account, the conditions and settings in which the RP would be taking place would have different results. There are some actions that can only occur at certain times like the switching on of the streetlights, missing the last train, meetings with NPC or secondary characters who are anchored with jobs, etc.

Yes, we don't need to take everything precisely but what I'm saying is that a character from a group that separated after watching a movie till after hours should not be able to watch the sunset. The timeframe at which the characters are currently operating in are often lost in roleplay since there is usually nothing that would remind you of it, furthermore not all players read everything so it's often easy to accidentally invite someone "free" but on a completely different time slot. It's just a little precaution that's all.
I precisely excluded Cesium and Mystic because you two already had rain, while the others have not. It would be weird if any of us went to Mystic's place without having rain first. And it is impossible for you two to visit anyone else before they have rain.

And frankly this is why I hate it when everyone goes different time-slot: We all end up getting stuck with the same characters for the whole day! The fact a day in YsF is kind of long makes it worse.

I am not suggesting that Bullet can suddenly arrive at the construction site Phi and co is headed to before Phi's group does. I am suggesting that Arin and Spike can come out and meet with any other group other than Cesium and Mystic without needing to take notice to the chronological order to THAT kind of detail. Fast-forwarding isn't such a hard thing. If Arin and Spike were slower than the others, they can fast-forward to that time. If the others were slower than Arin and Spike, then the others can fast-forward to Arin and Spike's time.

I am not suggesting not to care about time, I am suggesting people not pay so much attention to the point that it becomes a chore and gets in the way of interacting with other players.