Cartoons/Comics/Anime/Manga/Whatever!

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

NHWestoN

Re: Cartoons/Comics/Anime/Manga/Whatever!

Post by NHWestoN »

SeanWolf wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:24 pm Honestly, last manga I read was the Majora's Mask adaptation. I did use to read alot of Shonen Jump back in the day - was a HUGE fan of Hikaru No Go (still am, though I hate the anime's voice for Sai) and One Piece - but I honestly kind of just fell out of it.

For comics? Last ones I read was the Batman/Elmer Fudd team-up, which was honestly surprisingly really good, and Star Wars: Shadows Of The Empire (Still need to get the soundtrack and novel as I own the comic and game on N64).
Batman and Elmer!?!? You gotta tell me more!
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

NHWestoN wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:22 pm
SeanWolf wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:24 pm Honestly, last manga I read was the Majora's Mask adaptation. I did use to read alot of Shonen Jump back in the day - was a HUGE fan of Hikaru No Go (still am, though I hate the anime's voice for Sai) and One Piece - but I honestly kind of just fell out of it.

For comics? Last ones I read was the Batman/Elmer Fudd team-up, which was honestly surprisingly really good, and Star Wars: Shadows Of The Empire (Still need to get the soundtrack and novel as I own the comic and game on N64).
Batman and Elmer!?!? You gotta tell me more!
I'm not kidding, there was a line of comics that DC did that crossed over with Looney Tunes and they were actually really good, with the Batman/Elmer Fudd one being my favorite. Along with that, there were Wonder Woman & Tasmanian Devil, Martian Manhunter & Marvin The Martian, Jonah Hex & Yosemite Sam, Road Runner & Lobo, and the Leigon Of SuperHeroes & Bugs Bunny.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Fascinating for soooooooooo many reasons!! When did those come out? The Warner Brothers characters had been part of the Dell Comic stable when I was a kid, quite separate from DC, so there must have been one neck of a deal struck. Were they one-offs or recurring for a while?

Man, yah learn so much on this forum!
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

NHWestoN wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:48 pm Fascinating for soooooooooo many reasons!! When did those come out? The Warner Brothers characters had been part of the Dell Comic stable when I was a kid, quite separate from DC, so there must have been one neck of a deal struck. Were they one-offs or recurring for a while?

Man, yah learn so much on this forum!
I think back in 2017 and 2018 as there were a few more released that I didn't know of 'till now:
CATWOMAN/TWEETY AND SYLVESTER
HARLEY QUINN/GOSSAMER
THE JOKER/ DAFFY DUCK
LEX LUTHOR/ PORKY PIG
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Do note, often their design is altered to match DC’s works. Some bordering on unrecognizable.

What I want to know is, was there ever a Loonatics crossover?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wouldn't mind seeing that if there was one as I watched the show but I don't think there was.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Anyone seen the Wolf Children anime, snowfall here recently reminded me of it, a great film. Stunning animation and backdrops.
Disproportionately Dappled
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

DDeer wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:44 pm Anyone seen the Wolf Children anime, snowfall here recently reminded me of it, a great film. Stunning animation and backdrops.
I heard of it but had no interests in it, tbh.

Speaking of wolves...I'm just gonna come out and say this: There are no good werewolf anime/cartoons/comics/whatever out there. I say this as I saw that trailer for the 2020 film WOLFWALKERS and was very disappointed with how they portrayed werewolves. Any film where the character turns into a regular wolf does not count as those are not werewolves, despite what the descriptions said (Werewolves are two-legged, NOT four-legged. This includes An American Werewolf In London: That's NOT a Werewolf. Just a regular wolf). I think, personally, the only GOOD animated Werewolf is the ones in Hotel Transylvania (Can't WAIT for Hotel Transylvania 4!) but other wise? Yeah...sorry, bit of a tangent there. I'm a huge fan of werewolves :)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Aren't you actually a werewolf in real life and we just don't know it?
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:03 am Aren't you actually a werewolf in real life and we just don't know it?
Shhhh ;)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

SeanWolf wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:25 pm
DDeer wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:44 pm Anyone seen the Wolf Children anime, snowfall here recently reminded me of it, a great film. Stunning animation and backdrops.
I heard of it but had no interests in it, tbh.

Speaking of wolves...I'm just gonna come out and say this: There are no good werewolf anime/cartoons/comics/whatever out there. I say this as I saw that trailer for the 2020 film WOLFWALKERS and was very disappointed with how they portrayed werewolves. Any film where the character turns into a regular wolf does not count as those are not werewolves, despite what the descriptions said (Werewolves are two-legged, NOT four-legged. This includes An American Werewolf In London: That's NOT a Werewolf. Just a regular wolf). I think, personally, the only GOOD animated Werewolf is the ones in Hotel Transylvania (Can't WAIT for Hotel Transylvania 4!) but other wise? Yeah...sorry, bit of a tangent there. I'm a huge fan of werewolves :)
A genre I can take or leave, too. And vampires, yaaaaaaaaaaawn. Sorry (but not very).
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

I guess there aren't many really good true werewolf films, be great to see one where the character of the Werewolf is a bit more nuanced, remember reading a short story in a compilation about an asthmatic werewolf who led a fairly normal existence, kinda cool. As far as Wolf children goes, not true werewolves by that definition, they can just turn into wolves at will (although the father at the start seems to stay in anthro wolf mode for some of the time). More about the kids learning to find their way as they grow up and whether they want to embrace the human or animal side of their nature I guess. Must admit when I saw the Wolf walkers trailer I thought I have got to see that! But then again I thought the wolves in the first twilight were o.k. so maybe I'm easily impressed ;) (and why are the Vampires the main focus in the stories).

Daunted
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

DDeer wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:44 am I guess there aren't many really good true werewolf films, be great to see one where the character of the Werewolf is a bit more nuanced, remember reading a short story in a compilation about an asthmatic werewolf who led a fairly normal existence, kinda cool. As far as Wolf children goes, not true werewolves by that definition, they can just turn into wolves at will (although the father at the start seems to stay in anthro wolf mode for some of the time). More about the kids learning to find their way as they grow up and whether they want to embrace the human or animal side of their nature I guess. Must admit when I saw the Wolf walkers trailer I thought I have got to see that! But then again I thought the wolves in the first twilight were o.k. so maybe I'm easily impressed ;) (and why are the Vampires the main focus in the stories).

Daunted
Just a quick reactive thought to your puzzlement about "Why vampires the main focus in the stories?". Now being self-identified as not-terribly-interested in the genre, I'm guessing that writers, producers, and marketeers assume the public finds vampires more empathetic than werewolves because they're more human and less bestial. There are probably other nuances as well.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I just figured that they wanted to take the cliche that vampires were dark and evil and couldn't be trusted and needed to be destroyed and turn it on its head and show us that just because one is evil and ******* insane that the rest wouldn't be and to give them the chance to prove it.

Of course, they totally overshot it and made them total laughingstocks and something nobody could take seriously but they tried. Not to mention even though this was unintended they made the Jacob/Bella relationship a lot more compelling than Edward/Bella.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

My kids and I did like "The Count" on Sesame Street. And the Transylvania toons are pretty good, too.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:02 pm My kids and I did like "The Count" on Sesame Street. And the Transylvania toons are pretty good, too.
Yeah, loved the Count and the batty batty bat song :-) ! Funny how I found the wolves more empathetic (says more about me I guess) and I agree Amazee the Jacob/Bella thing seemed more interesting (I'm not a huge twilight fan I should add but thought the films were not as bad as people make out). Funilly enough my wife has a manga/comic version of Twilight, looked o.k.

Just on the subject of Comics, the Blacksad comics are pretty good, first compilation excellent, later one (a silent hell) not so much I thought. Drawing detail is amazing, got a Disney feel to the look of the characters and I like the gritty 50's detective feel.

Daunted
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

DDeer wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:23 am
NHWestoN wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:02 pm My kids and I did like "The Count" on Sesame Street. And the Transylvania toons are pretty good, too.
Yeah, loved the Count and the batty batty bat song :-) ! Funny how I found the wolves more empathetic (says more about me I guess) and I agree Amazee the Jacob/Bella thing seemed more interesting (I'm not a huge twilight fan I should add but thought the films were not as bad as people make out). Funilly enough my wife has a manga/comic version of Twilight, looked o.k.

Just on the subject of Comics, the Blacksad comics are pretty good, first compilation excellent, later one (a silent hell) not so much I thought. Drawing detail is amazing, got a Disney feel to the look of the characters and I like the gritty 50's detective feel.

Daunted
I've been wanting to pick up the Blacksad series for a while ever since playing the Xbox game back in 2019.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

SeanWolf wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:45 am

Daunted
I've been wanting to pick up the Blacksad series for a while ever since playing the Xbox game back in 2019.
The game any good? (don't have a latest gen console to play it on unfortunately).
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

DDeer wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:48 am
SeanWolf wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:45 am

Daunted
The game any good? (don't have a latest gen console to play it on unfortunately).
It's on PC as well but yes it's good. Last I played it, the game did bug out in one section multiple times and I couldn't progress but it has been patched from what I've heard. Still, good adventure game if you like the TellTale style of gameplay.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Good thing that they did manage to fix what is wrong with it so now more people will actually be able to enjoy it in full.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Oooo, new avatar!
OdedZeituni98

Tetsunoshin

Post by OdedZeituni98 »

I just found out about a cool anime show about dogs called Tetsunoshin, one of my friends suggested me that show and man I love this show and this cute little dog with the goggles, his name is tetsunoshin and the series is in Japanese, it came out in 2006 and the show tells about a family that goes into bankruptcy but with the help of tetsunoshin he help them get money.

DDeer

Re: Tetsunoshin

Post by DDeer »

OdedZeituni98 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:00 pm I just found out about a cool anime show about dogs called Tetsunoshin, one of my friends suggested me that show and man I love this show and this cute little dog with the goggles, his name is tetsunoshin and the series is in Japanese, it came out in 2006 and the show tells about a family that goes into bankruptcy but with the help of tetsunoshin he help them get money.

A new one on me, Watched the first half of episode one, looks interesting and I like the anination style, seen all of Cardcaptor Sakura so may get into this. The whole anthro element looks intriguing, will be interested to see how that ties into the plot.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Youtube title?
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:29 pm Youtube title?
Yes, I found free subtitled versions on there under zpf fansubs channel. Tetsunoshin

Watched the first episode, liked it, quite quirky but that's not a bad thing, will have to watch some more, the 3d graphics in some bits date it some but certainly different and I enjoyed the bit where he goes to "Dog paradise" and turns anthro.

Got a whisker away winging its way to me from Malaysia (found an English dubbed version).

Daunted
OdedZeituni98

Post by OdedZeituni98 »

I wish Tetsunoshin gets more fame, it is really a good anime and I wish there were more episodes
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Must watch episode 2 !
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure once there is more demand for it there will be more episodes.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

My A Whisker Away DVD turned up from Malaysia, yea, on a roll! Apparently the original title translates as Wanting to Cry, I pretend to be a Cat which sounds much better to this Deers ears :-)

I'm kinda hoping it's like the Cat returns.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You'll never know until you watch the movie it seems. ;)
DDeer

Re: Tetsunoshin

Post by DDeer »

OdedZeituni98 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:00 pm I just found out about a cool anime show about dogs called Tetsunoshin, one of my friends suggested me that show and man I love this show and this cute little dog with the goggles, his name is tetsunoshin and the series is in Japanese, it came out in 2006 and the show tells about a family that goes into bankruptcy but with the help of tetsunoshin he help them get money.

Just watched the second installment, I must say I did not expect stock market trading to feature so prominently.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Maybe if you watch enough of it you could be an expert on it. :P
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Maybe a narrative thread from Uncle $crooge. ;)
Just as a thought, it might be interesting to compare how capitalism, entrepreneurship, and personal finances are treated in Japanese anime as opposed to American cartoons.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

quote=NHWestoN post_id=930549 time=1617829472 user_id=6646]
DDeer wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:45 am
NHWestoN wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:43 pm No, I don't think we're going Beastars here yet. ;)
Beastars definately not PG but I thought the various relationships made the Manga, it's a shame that the focus seemed to shift away from this more to big battles towards the end (without giving too much away). Did you finish it Weston If you don't mind me asking?
I'm reading it kinda slowly. It's sort of a "reward" thing - I read the english translation on line with a "Jack-and-Coke" on the side. The artwork is absolutely exceptional which, I assume, is part of the magna's attraction (excpt, since it's a magna, everybody sweats too much.) I'm at about chapter 110 where Legoshi has moved into The Hidden Condo and gotten to know Sebun (Interesting/spunky) and Zeguan (meh but I'll give him a chance).

Like you, it's the relationships that make the story, especially the complexities between Legoshi and Louis. The supporting cast is also generally very strong, especially Juno, Sheila (I was genuinely moved by the side-story of her and Peaches, the sheep), and Pina. (Gohin, who reminded me of my First Sargeant, also had a very tender episode with Ai, the sand fox - wonder if he/we will ever get to see her smile?) I'll always wonder what happened to Juno and Pina's performance of Adler - I assumed Riz kidnapping Pina wrecked it. I haven't resolved my conflicts about Bill yet - I often have mixed feelings about a character but I assume he'll show other sides later as the author seems to like him. Similarly, I haven't really warmed to some of the newer figures, either.

Also, I don't mind the violence although it does seem to go on and on. There's also a bit of a preposterous excess to it - I mean, really, how much smashing and bashing can the human/ursine/lupine body take? When I was in college, I had a friend who wanted to be an army doctor. he'd watch TV fight scenes and give "diagnostic evaluations" of the fight scenes ("Okay, minor concussion with fractured jaw ... Yow, he'll never hear out of that ear again ... likely organic rupture of stomach and ..."). Sometimes, story threads just disappear.

I guess my real problem with the narrative is that I find the Legoshi-Haru relationship a little - how shall I say it? - "unconvincing". Maybe it's just that, at my age and my stage, there are just subtleties in manga cultures and context that elude me. No matter. I learned long ago not to make any definitive judgments on a work before I finish it. (Never walked out on a movie, though I've slept through a few!) Overall, I'm enjoying Beastars and my leisurely wander through a different worls.
[/quote]

Sorry for diverting the topic in the other thread, thought I'd best post my reply here, interesting review Weston, you mention some elenents that I don't recall (the sand fox, peaches the sheep) so I'm wondering if I read a differing translation (read it on mangant), is the one you are reading a translation of the anime or the manga? Maybe I just need to re-read :) .

Totally agree that less violence would improve it, thought the Legoshi-Haru relationship started really strong as a storyline but I got the feeling the author lost interest in it mid way through, Haru just seemed to go awol for long periods of the comic.

Still a unique and fascinating work though, looking forward to seeing what the author does next.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Yeah, I was justly reproved for hyjacking that thread but ... oh, well. Not the first time I've had my fingers wacked.

The Sheila/Shiira the cheetah and Peaches the Sheep story is chapter 70, entitled "The Cradle of Civilization". Sheila has come to resent herbivores over their obsession with the Beastars version of selfie posting. She feels like they only want her in their pictures to show off carnivore friends but they don't want to have real friendships. She unloads her frustrations on Juno who explains to her how it is in terms of carnivore/herbivore/species "ethnic" expectations. Sheila then decides she WILL have a real carnivore-herbivore friendship, and pounces on her classmate, a sheep named Peaches. Sheila invites Peach to go to town with her and have a shopping date. Somewhat to the cheetah's surprise, Peaches readily agrees and off they go. At first, Sheila is really nervous and convinced the whole project was a mistake - she towers over Peaches who really looks small and vulnerable beside the tall, regal, and imposing predator. We also learn that Peach is also more than a little afraid of her stylish, graceful, and rather toothy compatriot. As the date unfolds, however, they bond over clothes, coffee, and girl talk. It really is a sweet little episode featuring two minor characters finding friendship in this rather dark world.

Chapter 89, titled "A Comet in the Dark" shows Gohnin the Panda doing his therapy on a Tibetan Sand Fox named Ai. Sand Foxes are distinguished by their lack of/inability to show emotions because their facial muscles are undeveloped so Ai poses a particular challenge. She's been captured-arrested-taken in by the Panda against her will because she was identified as having killed and eaten a rabbit. As the story proceeds, the Panda is able to help her deal with her guilt, resentments, and inhibitions until she's finally "rehabilitated". They celebrate her cure at a fancy bistro and then take a walk along the river. Ai tells Gohnin she's going to turn herself into the law and accept whatever punishment is imposed. Gohnin is moved and tells her that it is her decision - she doesn't have to - and expresses sorrow that he has never seen her smile in all their time together. Tearfully, she promises to do her time and, if he'll come to her release, she'll greet him with the biggest smile she can muster. It's a moving and gentle ending to a small side story.
Whether the reader will ever see that moment in the future, well, we'll just see.

... so that's the references I mentioned in passing.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

By the rule of it being a small side story, you know that most likely Ai and Gohnin are never ever ever getting back together gonna see each other again right?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:42 pm By the rule of it being a small side story, you know that most likely Ai and Gohnin are never ever ever getting back together gonna see each other again right?
Yeah, I'll entertain that possibility ... which is kinda sad. It's a very touching piece and I'd like to see it resolved. I also really wanted to see Juno and Pina perform the Adler drama, but I suppose Riz wrecked that when he kidnapped our favorite ram just before New Year's opening night. Still Pina showed real acting chops - not to mention unexpected courage - during his rehersal in Chapter 89 and I bet he and Juno would have brought the house to its feet. Ah, well ...

I'm not particularly avoiding spoilers, but Legoshi seems to extending his circle beyond Cherryton, the drama club, and Gohnin's clinic.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If you aren't avoiding spoilers then there is nothing to stop you from skipping to the end when it comes around. :evil:
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:53 pm Yeah, I was justly reproved for hyjacking that thread but ... oh, well. Not the first time I've had my fingers wacked.

The Sheila/Shiira the cheetah and Peaches the Sheep story is chapter 70, entitled "The Cradle of Civilization". Sheila has come to resent herbivores over their obsession with the Beastars version of selfie posting. She feels like they only want her in their pictures to show off carnivore friends but they don't want to have real friendships. She unloads her frustrations on Juno who explains to her how it is in terms of carnivore/herbivore/species "ethnic" expectations. Sheila then decides she WILL have a real carnivore-herbivore friendship, and pounces on her classmate, a sheep named Peaches. Sheila invites Peach to go to town with her and have a shopping date. Somewhat to the cheetah's surprise, Peaches readily agrees and off they go. At first, Sheila is really nervous and convinced the whole project was a mistake - she towers over Peaches who really looks small and vulnerable beside the tall, regal, and imposing predator. We also learn that Peach is also more than a little afraid of her stylish, graceful, and rather toothy compatriot. As the date unfolds, however, they bond over clothes, coffee, and girl talk. It really is a sweet little episode featuring two minor characters finding friendship in this rather dark world.

Chapter 89, titled "A Comet in the Dark" shows Gohnin the Panda doing his therapy on a Tibetan Sand Fox named Ai. Sand Foxes are distinguished by their lack of/inability to show emotions because their facial muscles are undeveloped so Ai poses a particular challenge. She's been captured-arrested-taken in by the Panda against her will because she was identified as having killed and eaten a rabbit. As the story proceeds, the Panda is able to help her deal with her guilt, resentments, and inhibitions until she's finally "rehabilitated". They celebrate her cure at a fancy bistro and then take a walk along the river. Ai tells Gohnin she's going to turn herself into the law and accept whatever punishment is imposed. Gohnin is moved and tells her that it is her decision - she doesn't have to - and expresses sorrow that he has never seen her smile in all their time together. Tearfully, she promises to do her time and, if he'll come to her release, she'll greet him with the biggest smile she can muster. It's a moving and gentle ending to a small side story.
Whether the reader will ever see that moment in the future, well, we'll just see.

... so that's the references I mentioned in passing.
I apologize to you for getting you in hot water, after all it was me who prompted you in the first place so I should be taking the heat!

I looked those up and remember them now, it's a while ago I read those chapters, yes two of the better ones I think, they both have some interesting points and show Beastars at it's best I think, I liked the idea of a soul in turmoil unable to show their emotions and I thought Peaches and Shiira were a very endearing partnership and a good lesson on how people can be very different to stereotypes and preconceptions. That chapter also sums up very well the problems with online interactions and how they can skew society (I'm not a huge fan, this forum is one of the few places I am on). You do a great job of summarising the chapters. I really must get around to watching the animated series, not got netflix alas. Just got myself a copy of Akira, I hear it is a good read.

I kinda like Pina Ram as a character, his cockiness and self-confidence and how he can be pretty direct, I don't mind that in a person (in moderation).

Daunted
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Oh, I really didn't get into "trouble", Daunted, nothing that matters anyhow. I appreciate what the "Mods" do, especially given that some of our compatriots can be - Oh, let's just say - belligerent, bullheaded, obsessive, and sometimes cruel. There are a few times I've gotten reprimanded for such meinselbst - usually because of harping on certain characters I really don't like or a strip that disturbs me (a very rare occurrence!). Not a big deal.

I also really like Pina. I found him refreshing and provocative. I had kinda hoped his relationship with Legosi would deepen after they bonded over their confrontation with Riz at the infirmary. Not necessarily as a "ship" (although Legoshi having a fling with Pina could have another chapter in our wolf's growth process), but as a deepening of the apparent attraction we've already seen. However, that probably won't happen as the narrative has left Cherryton (stupid name) and I don't think the artist likes Pina much anymore. Sigh.

Sorta like Rick and Daisy, I guess.