Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

CuriousCnidarian

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

yeah, they're supposed to be jackals, with the vaguest of Egypt themes.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I do get what you are saying but that doesn't change the fact that I could have answered it quickly just by googling the username.

Also I'm still trying to figure out how the heck it becomes a Steel type, along with how the Normal-type Azurill evolves into the Water-type Marill (much more easy to explain as the whole line is also Fairy), why Jigglypuff who is from the same family as Clefairy didn't get its Normal-type dropped but Clefairy did despite them being found in the same area, why Razor Wind isn't a Flying-type (they fixed Gust in generation 2), why make Probopass female if they have a mustache and how come Togepi wasn't counted in generation 1.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Remember, the anime would sometimes have early teases. Ho-Oh, a generation two legendary, appeared in the first episode of the anime.

Also, the mustache thing is a reason I’ve seen why people don’t like the Nickit line. Both male and female Thievul have them. Eh, still like it.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
gforce

Post by gforce »

Hold up… does a Pokémon’s appearance differentiate based on gender?
That sounded better in my head
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

gforce wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:23 am Hold up… does a Pokémon’s appearance differentiate based on gender?
On a few Poke'mon it does slightly. Probably the most famous example is that female Pikachus have a heart shape on the end of their tail.
But for the most part, no.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Correct, not all of them do, and the ones that do are sometimes rather subtle.

Male Floatzel have two spots on their back while females have one.
Female Houndoom have shorter horns than the male.
No doubt if the Nidoran line had been introduced in Gen 3, the first forms would have shared a slot as gender variants.
Female Combee have a red mark on their main head (and only the females can evolve into Vespiquen).

A few gender differences are quite different.

In reference to real lions, Pyroar has a large mane if it’s male, and a long Mohawk-looking strip of hair if it’s female.
Male Unfezant have a red mask with long tendrils on their face, females lack this mask entirely, another reference to the gender difference in real pheasants.

And that’s just a few of the known differences. In leaked content that involved various unused assets for a large number of games a couple years ago, other gender differences were planned but cut, some for good reason. A proposal for female Charizard in Gen 3 development files had only one horn on its head. Yes, it looked awful.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Been playing Spirit of the North of late, not a bad game, quite atmospheric and the Fox has a bit of character, jumping is a bit tricky but getting the hang of it, quite fun how you have a button for tail wag and bark (or should that by yip)
Disproportionately Dappled
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

I reinstalled a few games I've been wanting to play again: Call Of Duty Ghosts, Prey 2017 (HIGHLY recommend this), RAGE 2 (Fun game but MAN I remember when Wal-Mart Canada accidently leaked this game and Bethesda poked fun at it during E3 that year), Lego Marvel Super Heroes (Love the Lego games and been meaning to get Lego DC Super Villains for a while) and Viva Pinata.

Also tried Katamari Damacy Re-Roll and...those controls were b-a-d bad!
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
gforce

Post by gforce »

DDeer wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:09 pm Been playing Spirit of the North of late, not a bad game, quite atmospheric and the Fox has a bit of character, jumping is a bit tricky but getting the hang of it, quite fun how you have a button for tail wag and bark (or should that by yip)
Lil sis got it a few months ago herself! Got to the fifth chapter before it got a bit too confusing for her. Think I’ll try my hand at it myself sometime soon.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

gforce wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:40 am
DDeer wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:09 pm Been playing Spirit of the North of late, not a bad game, quite atmospheric and the Fox has a bit of character, jumping is a bit tricky but getting the hang of it, quite fun how you have a button for tail wag and bark (or should that by yip)
Lil sis got it a few months ago herself! Got to the fifth chapter before it got a bit too confusing for her. Think I’ll try my hand at it myself sometime soon.
I'd give the game a try, fun if a bit tricky with the jumps (took me a while to realise that you jump further if you run first). The thing I find trickiest is the fact that the scenery looks so naturalistic that it can sometimes be hard to recognise an area (i.e. if you have been there before) that could just be me mind....
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Games that end up messing up your perception of things are the best. :P
Last edited by Amazee Dayzee on Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:30 pm Gmaes that end up messing up your perception of things are the best. :P
Oh, if you want some insane games to do just that, then look up either Antichamber, Superliminal, and Manifold Garden.
gforce

Post by gforce »

SeanWolf wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:42 pm
Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:30 pm Gmaes that end up messing up your perception of things are the best. :P
Oh, if you want some insane games to do just that, then look up either Antichamber, Superliminal, and Manifold Garden.
Monument Valley too. Puzzle game based around perspective- screwed with my brain for a while until I managed to finish it. If you’d like to get lost in a world of impossible geometry then that’s my go-to suggestion for you :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

No thanks for me on games that distort your perception in real life. My mind is already screwed up enough as it is.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

So, the new Pokémon games were announced, it’s got a grass cat so I’m in.
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Wait they are moving on to the next generation already? It feels like the previous generation has only been released. I can't believe they are moving on to the next one so quick.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Sword and Shield released three years ago, but yeah, feels fast. Is Legends considered a mainline game?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Generation 1 to 2 = 2 Years
Generation 2 to 3 = 3 Years
Generation 3 to 4 = 4 Years
Generation 4 to 5 = 4 Years
Generation 5 to 6 = 3 Years
Generation 6 to 7 = 3 Years
Generation 7 to 8 = 3 Years
Generation 8 to 9 = 2 Years (if it were to end now)

Average time between each generation is 3 years. I know the games won’t be released until much later but if it was this would be the shortest time between generations since generation 1 to 2. Which is very ironic since back when I was watching Pokemon (before my cable provider got rid of Kids! WB) it felt like the first generation was the longest. If only because I include the season within the Orange Island as the first generation. In that we saw Ash and company go through the 8 Gym Leaders then swap out Brock with Tracy and do the Orange Islands which hasn’t ever been in the main game.

Also, Legends IS a main game which was released one month ago. Now they are jumping onto generation 9? It probably feels fast because COVID screwed up all of our sense of time.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Does this mean new Pokemon cards as well I assume? (forgive my lack of knowledge, a relative newcomer to the Pokemon world) Saw the trailer, looks promising.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Some have said that the games are essentially forced to move quickly in order to also keep merchandise moving.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am not sure if it also includes the cards from the Pokemon Trading Card Game to be honest but I wouldn't be surprised. I think the cards come out a little after the generation begins. Not sure how it works though.

These are each of the generations and their games by the way.

Generation 1 – Red and Blue; Yellow is the expanded version

Generation 2 – Gold and Silver; Crystal is the expanded version

Generation 3 – Ruby and Sapphire; Emerald is the expanded version; FireRed and LeafGreen are remakes of Red and Blue

Generation 4 – Diamond and Pearl; Platinum is the expanded version; HeartGold and SoulSilver are remakes of Gold and Silver

Generation 5 – Black and White; Black 2 and White 2 are sequels

Generation 6 – X and Y; Omega Red and Alpha Sapphire are remakes of Ruby and Sapphire

Generation 7 – Sun and Moon; Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are the expanded versions; Lets Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee are remakes of Yellow

Generation 8 – Sword and Shield; The Isle of Armor and The Crown Tundra are the expanded versions; Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are remakes of Diamond and Pearl; Legends: Arceus is a bonus game that is considered part of generation 8

Generation 9 which comes out in late 2022 will be Scarlet and Violet.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Of course they have to properly introduce the Pokémon in the games to make people want the cards. Speaking of, surprised that they had already decided to discontinue the Fairy type in the card game not long after introducing it. Guess it was a balance issue.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Just briefly changing the Pokemon subject (I do like what the new Pokemon look like - I still call the one Spahgetto :P - but I really miss the simpler times of Gen 1 tbh).

Been playing alot of Borderlands 3 and going through the game with each Vault Hunter again. FL4K is still the most OP Vault Hunter in the game if you spec him out just right though Amara does come in at a close second (Zane will forever be my main though :). Currently going through as Moze - She was always the hardest for me to get a handle so I'm curious to see how well I can spec her out to be OP.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

So is the new Pokemon Arceus game any good? How does it compare to the previous Pokemon titles, is it a similar style of gameplay?
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

DDeer wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:07 am So is the new Pokemon Arceus game any good? How does it compare to the previous Pokemon titles, is it a similar style of gameplay?
Completely different, completely perfect, monster hunter but you’re catching the Pokémon instead of hunting the monsters.

And onto the new Pokémon games, now with the new trailer, it’s time to ask,
Team Scarlet: featuring Professor Sata and what seems to be (according to bulbapedia) motorcycle gecko,

Or Team Violet: featuring Professor Gigachad Turo and (again, according to bulbapedia’s best guessers) jet dragon
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Is there a Beastars video game yet? Just curious.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

The most I can find is that there was a Beastars crossover event with an online game called Caravan Stories. Not sure if it was a limited time event or not, but wouldn’t doubt it, and since it was only a crossover collab, the story seems to be minimal.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Took a look at some of the new Pokemon for Scarlet and Violet and I do like some of them. Though I take one look at the Paldean Wooper and ask how is it a Poison-type? It doesn't really look it.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

We’ve had weirder. Another new Pokémon is a puppy made out of bread. It’s a Fairy type.

Thinking more of it, we got a two-headed giraffe in Generation 2 that was a Psychic type. Plus, the aptly-named Sudowoodo, a rock-type that looked like a tree.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Some of the weird typings I have found were anything that included being paired up with Normal except for non-elementary Flying-types. When I think of Girafarig, I think of it as a pure Psychic-type because it also being Normal doesn't really bring anything to the table. Same with Bibarel who I see as a pure Water-type and Azurill as a pure Fairy-type.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

The trailer for Scarlet and Violet looks good, graphics looks decent. Had a play of Pokken DX recently, graphics on that were impressive I thought for an older game, I didn't find it as easy to get into as Tekken but kind of liked the support Pokemon that pop up from time to time to assist when you call them, a nice idea, how you can switch between long and shortrange mode seems clever but didn't really get enough time to get to grips with that.

On the subject of Beastars I would love it if they brought a full game out for that but I can't see it happening, I was really tempted to get the Blacksad game but have heard very mixed things about it so that kind of put me off.

Had a look at caravan stories, the Gessy look like they would be fun to play https://youtu.be/izgXTIiM71c
CryosR

Post by CryosR »

I just finished AM2R and am interested in the new Fire Emblem coming out.

for now I'm just trying to find something to play, maybe I should boot up my game consoles and play the games on those while the systems still work, my PS2 is about 20 years old right now
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Hey. Before we ended up moving I'm pretty sure our nearly 2 decade old Nintendo 64s still worked fine. :lol:
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

I finished Stray a couple weeks ago and now I'm looking for more games like it, in any number of ways--- quadruped player characters, exploration/platforming with an emphasis on vertical space, quirky world and characters, etcetera...

Started Spirit of the North last night (after reading about it here!), and it looks like it might scratch at least some of that itch. Still wouldn't mind some recommendations :)
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well, almost said Cattails, but there’s no platforming. More of an action RPG.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Still might be worth a look. Not everything needs to have all those aspects, or I'd be disappointed pretty fast :)

You know the interesting thing, if there's one thing the design in Stray reminded me of, it was the Knuckles/Rouge stages in Sonic Adventure 2. If they were built out to a massive size and made more sandbox-y.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
CryosR

Post by CryosR »

Been playing Gabriel Knight 2: the Beast Within, not as memorable as the first game and the FMV makes it feel very dated
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Been playing a few games myself:

Deathloop (Released on Xbox last week): OK but I was disappointed by it
Beacon Pines: S'alright. Didn't really hold my attention
GTA V Online (Solo Sessions): Still love it
Destiny 2: Still fun, though I need to get the remaining DLC for it
Flight Simulator (Xbox Series X): Relaxing...but flying over oceans is BORING >.<

Also been waiting for the upcoming SCORN game (Heavily inspired by H.R Geiger works).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure many people will agree that flying over oceans are very boring. ven some pilots but they have to do what they have to do. :D
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

True but sheesh! Seeing nothing but blue? Yeah, it gets boring xD Though I was able to make it a bit more fun thanks to the inclusion of the Pelican from Halo (which has one amazing Easter Egg: If you click on the CD Player in the cockpit? The Halo theme plays).

Today, however? Gonna be playing Immortals Fenyx Rising and a bit of Call Of Duty: WW2 (Before anyone asks, yes, I'm excited for this years MW2 and, no, I haven't played Vanguard yet. Waiting for a good sale on that one before I get it).