2023/05/09 - The End (For Now) (Or Is It) (Question Mark) (Dot Dot Dot)

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
IceKitsune

Re: 2023/05/09 - The End (For Now) (Or Is It) (Question Mark) (Dot Dot Dot)

Post by IceKitsune »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:14 am As the whole gardens area apparently got taken up to Heaven for safekeeping, I'd imagine the Human family members are still Human. (And we know at least Todd's mother was up there)
The thing is the contract that changed everyone happened after the everything was done and everyone was back on earth. People were changed by the contract that they all signed. Unless you think that the UN secretary general, and the president were all in the City Babylon Gardens is next to. I don't think that Stewart was changing people all over the world his sphere of influence was never that big. And Eudoant wasn't turning people on his way to Egypt because he didn't care about that only Stewart did.
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

MischaTheWolf wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:38 am All I hope is that this isn’t the end of the forums, as I genuinely like you people.
If the forums are shut down, Rick or one of the mods might archive the posts. As for the people, a few will probably either move to the new site Rick’s setting up or Discord. At least I hope these things happen, I’m not a fortune-teller.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

IceKitsune wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:59 am
Welsh Halfwit wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:14 am As the whole gardens area apparently got taken up to Heaven for safekeeping, I'd imagine the Human family members are still Human. (And we know at least Todd's mother was up there)
The thing is the contract that changed everyone happened after the everything was done and everyone was back on earth. People were changed by the contract that they all signed. Unless you think that the UN secretary general, and the president were all in the City Babylon Gardens is next to. I don't think that Stewart was changing people all over the world his sphere of influence was never that big. And Eudoant wasn't turning people on his way to Egypt because he didn't care about that only Stewart did.
Really hoping the contract changing even more people isn’t the case. They had just gotten done saying how bad Kitsune was for not changing the city back, and since the reversal could take a while to become safe to use, then Marion’s line of “now everyone has a choice” is exceptionally hollow, because that would mean so many more people didn’t get the choice and he agreed to stripping the choice from them to feel better about his own predicament.

It’s also a reversal on Lois’ stance. She looked ready to strangle Keene again when he suggested that the curse spreading would be beneficial to him.

It becomes a pretty bad case of “protagonist-centered morality.”
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
CryosR

Post by CryosR »

Honestly for me it was just a case of sunk cost fallacy. I just wanted to see this end before I moved on, I'm really only watching Rick for A&H club now
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So does that mean we aren't gonna see you around the forums anymore then? If so that sucks as this forum is starting to get more and more quiet.
CryosR

Post by CryosR »

Not that I've been around much anyway, it's hard for me to start topics here or even contribute since everything seems to be locked down. Other than starting a thread for my stories
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

What do you mean everything seems to be locked down? Not sure I understand that.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

D-Rock wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:06 am
Really hoping the contract changing even more people isn’t the case. They had just gotten done saying how bad Kitsune was for not changing the city back, and since the reversal could take a while to become safe to use, then Marion’s line of “now everyone has a choice” is exceptionally hollow, because that would mean so many more people didn’t get the choice and he agreed to stripping the choice from them to feel better about his own predicament.

It’s also a reversal on Lois’ stance. She looked ready to strangle Keene again when he suggested that the curse spreading would be beneficial to him.

It becomes a pretty bad case of “protagonist-centered morality.”
Do Not Adjust Your Dial actually proves this is the case if I'm reading this right. It states that "Earlier this month that most government offices the world over are held by animals." Unless you want to argue that in reality animals have secretly been in 80% of government positions in the Housepets world prior to the contract and no one ever noticed some how; it has to be because of transformations.

The choice that Marion was talking about was the choice to stay/become an animal or go back to being human, at least that is how I read it.

Also regardless of how you read it they would have had to subvert someone's freewill because of the UN resolution to give animals citizenships in their home countries (I'm ignoring the fact that the UN can't actually do this as well) that everyone just accepts unanimously.

Because they would be doing that just because one city, in one state, in the US got partially transformed which is just silly and would require some subversion of freewill to happen. However it makes more sense if large parts of the worlds governments and people got transformed into animals as well.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

That just makes it worse in my eyes…
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

D-Rock wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 11:29 pm That just makes it worse in my eyes…
Neither option is really ideal but you can argue that the forced transformation were a freak accident for the people of the Housepets world (even if we know how exactly they happened) and they will have the choice to go back if they want to. The other option is to basically mind control every member of the worlds government have them pass a resolution to give animals citizenship which they then can not revoke even if they wanted to because of the contract. Or else the contract would be broken.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

And who knows how long a safe reversal could take. Even if Keene’s funding really speeds it up, which I hope is the case, he’s still partially responsible for the forced transformations in the first place. It was already shown that said idea was a bad one, back in Teenage Squirrel.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I really hope it doesn't take all that long as well it would really suck if it did. I think at this point we would really need to know exactly what was in the contract, because it is clear that more than just animal transformations have happened to the world anyway. It's kind of just large amounts of speculation because we actually have little information to go off of right now. Hopefully when Housepets comes back some of this will be answered.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

At this point, that would be the best case scenario.
Jakkal

Post by Jakkal »

also, we still really don't know why Tarot and Breel were that reserved to sign the contract.

OH well, some want to force their goals upon others, regardless the costs, it seems. A contract from "heaven".
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

D-Rock wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 11:53 pm And who knows how long a safe reversal could take. Even if Keene’s funding really speeds it up, which I hope is the case, he’s still partially responsible for the forced transformations in the first place. It was already shown that said idea was a bad one, back in Teenage Squirrel.
Well, when (or if) the strip returns, ironing out assorted issue will certainly thread through the plot lines. As much as I've enjoyed HP over the years, I've been somewhat put off by the last episodes. The humor and appeal of Keene as a character has diminished for me as I've found his corporate swashbuckling increasingly reflective of many of our big-money techno-heroes whose "public-be-darned" innovations have damaged society, instituions, and the environment. In my lifetime, I've watched the public exploited by cigarette makers, car makers, polluters, and a wearying cavalcade of experimenters. Secondly, most of the more recent additions to the cast have been (for me) unappealing - Lois and Marion (to me) have become tiresome and uninteresting. I just miss Peanut and Grape, okay?

Yes, I knw, it's Rick's world. But I'm inclined to agree with D-Rock. The whole forced transformation bit is a very dark note to end on.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Considering how often they tried to stop Keene from magically changing the world, Tarot and Sabrina are reacting to this very well.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Probably because at this point they know there is nothing they can do about it and it is just best to move on. Besides Tarot got the two things she wanted the most: to save the world and rub Kitsune's face in it.
Shryke

Post by Shryke »

CryosR wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:48 am It's funny but it's hard to picture Peanut having sex
Feels weird just reading that... HE'S TOO INNOCENT!!!!!!
CryosR

Post by CryosR »

Shryke wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:45 pm
CryosR wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:48 am It's funny but it's hard to picture Peanut having sex
Feels weird just reading that... HE'S TOO INNOCENT!!!!!!
Exactly, I mean I know he's not that naive but he still seems like a puppy just in his temperment. That's why he's my favorite character
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, we all see how Sabrina reacted to that mental image! ;) (Ka-Spew !!)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I actually don't get her reaction panel. She's spitting out her orange soda in front of her and behind her there is an explosion of orange soda? How does that work?
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Well, that's the ending for a while I guess, still mulling on how it all concluded, pretty hard to tie up all the loose ends in a comic that has run this long I would imagine. Whilst there isn't going to be a regular HP comic strip hoping there will be more short run or spin-off Housepets! based stories from Rick in future, would like to see more on Peanut and Grape, King and Bailey (and the others of course!!).
Disproportionately Dappled
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I personally want to see more from Fox, Marvin and Ralph to be honest.
CryosR

Post by CryosR »

I mostly want to see more with Peanut and Grape, but also all the couples in the story
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:54 pm I personally want to see more from Fox and Ralph to be honest.
Let’s Imaginate Silence of the Lambs with the K9PD!

....actually no, Rick please don’t do this, this was a terrible idea.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Harry Johnathan wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:56 pm
Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:54 pm I personally want to see more from Fox and Ralph to be honest.
Let’s Imaginate Silence of the Lambs with the K9PD!

....actually no, Rick please don’t do this, this was a terrible idea.
Writes it down as an idea for HousepetZ I mean, hm? What?
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Peanut in 'The Fugitive'? With Max in the Tommy Lee Jones role?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Startrekfan47

Post by Startrekfan47 »

MischaTheWolf wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:38 am *gives Rick military salute*

"Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalute!"
That's an interesting idea...a Hee Haw/Housepets! crossover complete with a return of the Barn Cats
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:36 pm I actually don't get her reaction panel. She's spitting out her orange soda in front of her and behind her there is an explosion of orange soda? How does that work?
The trajectory is a little peculiar to say the least (not to mention the volume is pretty explosive).

The comdian Danny Thomas, Marlo's papa, perfected "the comic spray reaction" as part of his routines. He'd be in a conversation, start sipping a beverage which created a quick pause. Then someone would make an unexpected (and slightly startling) comment to which Danny, with a mouthful of liquid and (implicitly) unable to swallow, sprayed out the drink like a spray mist nozzle. For what that's worth.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I now know that the reaction wasn't really an explosion behind her but Onomatopoeia in which it isn't actually a scene but a visual like you would see in a superhero comic. Though I still think that panel should have been split so we could read it easier.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

NHWestoN wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:21 am
D-Rock wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 11:53 pm And who knows how long a safe reversal could take. Even if Keene’s funding really speeds it up, which I hope is the case, he’s still partially responsible for the forced transformations in the first place. It was already shown that said idea was a bad one, back in Teenage Squirrel.
Well, when (or if) the strip returns, ironing out assorted issue will certainly thread through the plot lines. As much as I've enjoyed HP over the years, I've been somewhat put off by the last episodes. The humor and appeal of Keene as a character has diminished for me as I've found his corporate swashbuckling increasingly reflective of many of our big-money techno-heroes whose "public-be-darned" innovations have damaged society, instituions, and the environment. In my lifetime, I've watched the public exploited by cigarette makers, car makers, polluters, and a wearying cavalcade of experimenters. Secondly, most of the more recent additions to the cast have been (for me) unappealing - Lois and Marion (to me) have become tiresome and uninteresting. I just miss Peanut and Grape, okay?

Yes, I knw, it's Rick's world. But I'm inclined to agree with D-Rock. The whole forced transformation bit is a very dark note to end on.
These are actually among the issues that were brought up by some in the fan Discord server (there were other issues, trust me). Keene reverted back to having things done his way, only suddenly he had Heaven’s support, somehow. Talking the team into having the, give up their boon just for him. His jerkish attitude returning in his last appearance made him seem like he was regressing as a character.

Marion is a whole different issue. The way it was presented, he was super fast in deciding to not be human again, when he was the one to suggest joining the team to Lois for that specific boon. Some in-between time of him acclimating to his life as a squirrel would have definitely helped it feel more natural, since until the tower to alert Kitsune, we mostly got viewings of how much it sucked to be a squirrel for him. He and Lois would have greatly benefited from some slice-of-life arcs prior to the Endgame.

His rapid development has led a few to refer to him as a faster King in that regard. Also doesn’t help that despite the buildup he did get, he was nothing more than a distraction to Eudoant. Or the fact that him wanting to be a nurse, which are supposed to want to help people, is shown at the same time he was willing to let other people suffer the transformation curse so he wouldn’t feel bad about his own predicament.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Is it wrong of me to want SOMEONE in the comic when it returns to point out this irony to Marion that he wants to be a nurse to help people and he might have hurt people by forcing them into becoming animals?

Plus if most of the world are now animals, wouldn't they need to see a veterinarian instead of going to a doctor's office?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I'm not sure they know about that part now. It's all been done by a completely scientific method, y'know? ;)
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

But still, I can imagine many GPs turning away their transformed patients because they are unfamiliar with animal anatomy. I think veterinarians will become the next doctors. :3
MischaTheWolf

Post by MischaTheWolf »

Veterinarians boutta become paid more than the top doctors in the country.

Also startrekfan, I like the crossover idea.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Imagine if the nursing program Marion got into was exclusively for working on animals since the world has more animals in it. That will really throw a wrench in his plan wouldn't it? Especially if it WAS humans he wanted to work with.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

D-Rock wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:01 am

These are actually among the issues that were brought up by some in the fan Discord server (there were other issues, trust me). Keene reverted back to having things done his way, only suddenly he had Heaven’s support, somehow. Talking the team into having the, give up their boon just for him. His jerkish attitude returning in his last appearance made him seem like he was regressing as a character.

Marion is a whole different issue. The way it was presented, he was super fast in deciding to not be human again, when he was the one to suggest joining the team to Lois for that specific boon. Some in-between time of him acclimating to his life as a squirrel would have definitely helped it feel more natural, since until the tower to alert Kitsune, we mostly got viewings of how much it sucked to be a squirrel for him. He and Lois would have greatly benefited from some slice-of-life arcs prior to the Endgame.

His rapid development has led a few to refer to him as a faster King in that regard. Also doesn’t help that despite the buildup he did get, he was nothing more than a distraction to Eudoant. Or the fact that him wanting to be a nurse, which are supposed to want to help people, is shown at the same time he was willing to let other people suffer the transformation curse so he wouldn’t feel bad about his own predicament.
We're pretty much agreed there, D-Rock. I pretty much found Marion-Lois a reversion to the King-Bailey model but far less interesting or appealing Of couse, King and Bailey enjoyed a much more extensive narrative and emotional build-up extended over many episodes while Marion-Lois never seemed to go from side-stories in a pretty much single variations on a theme story-line. Besides the "Marvel-ization" ending (full disclosure: I never was much of a Marvel Universe guy), other characters and subplots didn't develop much. The Tarot-GKitsune pairing had some spark as did Eudoant (who is as close to a comic villain with real menace since, I don`t know, Duchess). Maybe I was just waiting for Rufus, Lester, Joey, and Dallas provide a little comic-relief from the chest-thumping. Well, Rick's much earned a break ... and I don't think I'd offer much Constructive on Discord (since I'm not sure how to join anyways - as Popeye says "Sometimes enough is too much!"
CryosR

Post by CryosR »

NHWestoN wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:36 pm
D-Rock wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:01 am

We're pretty much agreed there, D-Rock. I pretty much found Marion-Lois a reversion to the King-Bailey model but far less interesting or appealing Of couse, King and Bailey enjoyed a much more extensive narrative and emotional build-up extended over many episodes while Marion-Lois never seemed to go from side-stories in a pretty much single variations on a theme story-line. Besides the "Marvel-ization" ending (full disclosure: I never was much of a Marvel Universe guy), other characters and subplots didn't develop much. The Tarot-GKitsune pairing had some spark as did Eudoant (who is as close to a comic villain with real menace since, I don`t know, Duchess). Maybe I was just waiting for Rufus, Lester, Joey, and Dallas provide a little comic-relief from the chest-thumping. Well, Rick's much earned a break ... and I don't think I'd offer much Constructive on Discord (since I'm not sure how to join anyways - as Popeye says "Sometimes enough is too much!"
Now that I think about it, yeah Marion and Lois felt like that but honestly it would have cheapened things if Bailey was a former human too.

I honestly don't know how to address these problems in a satisfying way. Only thing I really want is to shift the focus back to the pets and other animals who weren't part of all the supernatural stuff, and Tarot if she's pregnant because I want to see how Peanut reacts when he finds out. Giddiness? Terror? Either would be interesting.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I can see Peanut reacting in almost the same way that he did when he babysat King and Bailey's pups and thought he lost one. That but on a MUCH larger level.

I can easily see Grape as that cool fun aunt which I am all for. :lol:
CryosR

Post by CryosR »

Wonder if Grape's gonna be pregnant soon? Maybe Peanut's pups will make her want some or make her want to avoid it. Just my brain doing its thing