2023/05/05 - Home Is Where The Budget Is

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2023/05/05 - Home Is Where The Budget Is

Post by D-Rock »

[ 2023/05/05 - Home Is Where The Budget Is ]

Title Text: How am I supposed to afford 25 dollars a month!
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Vertigo Fox

Re: 2023/05/05 - Home Is Where The Budget Is

Post by Vertigo Fox »

I paid rent to my mom and dad for my last few years living with them.
Wasn't so bad.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Lois can see through Todd’s tripe,
showing she understands the guy.
When there’s no money coming in,
charging him rent isn’t gonna fly.
Lois has a present snuggle buddy,
winding around like a charm.
So long as he keeps his claws to himself
I suppose she’d ask ‘where’s the harm’?
Eat your breakfast, young Panda-wan,
it’s worse if you just let it cool.
Every time you try to act superior;
you just end up looking a fool...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

Vertigo Fox wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:07 am I paid rent to my mom and dad for my last few years living with them.
Wasn't so bad.
Try making your kids pay rent in the 2020s economy and you’d just be a monster, lol.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Were Jack

Post by Were Jack »

Harry Johnathan wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:39 am
Vertigo Fox wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:07 am I paid rent to my mom and dad for my last few years living with them.
Wasn't so bad.
Try making your kids pay rent in the 2020s economy and you’d just be a monster, lol.
Because people in 2020 are spoiled. They think everything belongs to them, they demand everything and are entitled to have everything. If someone ask them to pay for the living, they say it's outrageous. Freeloaders that often wants all money to themselves, but free accommodation. Easy life. All the rights, no responsibilities.
And people often say how bad economy is. Bro. Most people who complain about that, earn few times my salary. And they have the audacity to complain. I can swap easily. I would be rich, they would be broke. Those people have no idea what being poor mean. They never experienced it. I've seen how the same people who complain about the economic situation wasted the money they have for something that cost a lot. They just randomly see something with a promotion, they buy it. I don't have such freedom. If I did that, I would die of starvation.
Harry Johnathan

Dude, I’m living off food stamps in government housing, I understand exactly what it’s like to be poor and still think Todd’s dad is messed up, lol. Have you seen modern housing prices?

Also, this convo is getting a tad too heated and/or political and we should probably chill out for a moment before the mods get mad.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Feeling sorry for Todd is a bit of a challenge since his ego inflation out runs that of the US economy. Still, it's always also a little sad to see how easily his pomposity collapses.

Thr "Greatest Generation" (my parents) believed that children should "leave the nest" and not become "dependent". Sorta like the three little pigs being sent out into the big, bad world. My Dad even invoked that fable as I went off to college and reminded me "we really don't have room in this house for two adult males." It was a small house, afterall.

Yet New England is filled with large, stately old houses that testify to a different orientation - that it would be okay if adult children and even their children continued to live in their birth home. Like today's housing situation, such "family values" stood on unsentimental economic realities. Homes were not plentiful until after WW II, wages and incomes were lower, and lack of social services meant Dad and Mom hoped at least one of their kids or grandkids would care for them as they aged into infirmity.

Our kids stayed home a couple of years after graduation as they struggled with employment in their chosen fields rather than low-pay paper-hat jobs. They were given trivial "help-out" duties but not held to schedules. Still, their desire and our expectations were that they would eventually move out, not as an end in itself but as a component of their new life roles (i.e. out of town jobs).

Like Voltaire, I think everyone should "tend his own garden" - what worked for me might not work for you. A little compassion always helps, you as well as well as your neighbors. Every family has its own dynamik.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Indeed. There are a lot of reasons to stay with your parents homes these days. Housing costs have increased, wages haven’t increased by the same ratio, and it also often depends on the family culture. In some, it’s sort of expected for at least one child to stay to help their parents as long as possible, sometimes until they have a family of their own. In the eyes of certain groups, there’s no shame in it.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
rourkie

Post by rourkie »

Ok, so, I know I'm in the minority being a Todd-supporter but honestly, he's just kind of a massively bumbling idiot-dork who hides behind his vanity to prevent people from knowing he's really kind of naive. To me, he has a lot of big "Matt Berry" vibes. Is he egotistical? Absolutely, but I think it's kind of charming in its own way.

(Also, it looks like he's slimmed down a little; I guess running around to save the world will do that to ya, LOL ;0P)
--
"Some things are beyond the logic of our eyes and ears..."
Bill in OK

FWIW - Today is National Cartoonists Day

Post by Bill in OK »

Give Rick a hug! He could probably use one!
King looks an awful lot like my own Corgi. That's one reason why he's my favorite, but I also like his attitude.
NHWestoN

Re: FWIW - Today is National Cartoonists Day

Post by NHWestoN »

Bill in OK wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:52 am Give Rick a hug! He could probably use one!
Well, sure, given all he's been through, I'm willing to risk that he'll recoil in horror to offer him a hug.
Been that kinda year. :?
rourkie

Post by rourkie »

NHWestoN wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:06 am
Bill in OK wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:52 am Give Rick a hug! He could probably use one!
Well, sure, given all he's been through, I'm willing to risk that he'll recoil in horror to offer him a hug.
Been that kinda year. :?
We can just absolutely send good vibes, then - positivity in any form is good!
--
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I'll just hug a random Rourkie.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I guess Todd living there actually achieves both his and his father's goals if you really think about it. His father probably wanted him to move out and Todd wanted to live somewhere that (for now) doesn't charge rent. :mrgreen:
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

So, Todd decided to stay at the zoo, which is going to be changed with those new laws. :roll: You did what? :P But if you've been the first one to get neutralized by Eudoant... ;) Ah, that's why you're there, because everything is for free and you don't pay renting, eheh. :P
Cute Marion in the second panel. :D
Harry Johnathan

D-Rock wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:46 am Indeed. There are a lot of reasons to stay with your parents homes these days. Housing costs have increased, wages haven’t increased by the same ratio, and it also often depends on the family culture. In some, it’s sort of expected for at least one child to stay to help their parents as long as possible, sometimes until they have a family of their own. In the eyes of certain groups, there’s no shame in it.
Where I live, it’s completely normal to stay with your parents even until your death because everyone here is so poor. My parents, for their part, want me to stay living with them after I turn 18 because they’re scared of the world and think I’m gonna get attacked by racists or human traffickers or something.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

For what it's worth, Kiplinger's quotes a 2023 reseaarch survey from Savings.com that 45% of American parents provide support (housing and/or money) to one or more adult children. Additionally, the survey indicates that the average value of that support is $1, 400.00 monthly.

I have no way of verifying that information but Kiplinger's has a sterling reputation for financial news coverage and research.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

NHWestoN wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:30 pm For what it's worth, Kiplinger's quotes a 2023 reseaarch survey from Savings.com that 45% of American parents provide support (housing and/or money) to one or more adult children. Additionally, the survey indicates that the average value of that support is $1, 400.00 monthly.

I have no way of verifying that information but Kiplinger's has a sterling reputation for financial news coverage and research.
That could be a bit misleading, depending on how they calculate it. If they calculate the average rent and utility costs of a home into that equation, that's not actually more money being paid if the kid is living at home, given the parents aren't actually paying for a second home.
But I don't know the study, so I can't say exactly. Just that it could be sus.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The information does sound like it is correct though. If only there was a way to validate it.
rourkie

Post by rourkie »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:35 am I'll just hug a random Rourkie.
Oh gosh, well, no complaints here!
--
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

LOL if he gets too grabby or clingy, clobber him with a pie. :D
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Harry Johnathan wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:39 am
Wasn't so bad.
True. We moved out in '19 XD
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Whew, a year later and you'da been "Monsters!" ;) Not today, though, `cause it's still your birthday. :)
Last edited by NHWestoN on Mon May 08, 2023 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

As I said on Discord, if I ever did move out I probably would find an assisted living home for Autistic people. I would need a LOT of help. ^__^;
rourkie

Post by rourkie »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:54 am LOL if he gets too grabby or clingy, clobber him with a pie. :D
Mmm, pie...... *Chubby bunny happy noises*
--
Startrekfan47

Post by Startrekfan47 »

Here's one from me......sorry to be a day late and a dollar short.
™hug™!
MischaTheWolf

Post by MischaTheWolf »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:48 pm As I said on Discord, if I ever did move out I probably would find an assisted living home for Autistic people. I would need a LOT of help. ^__^;
I’m also autistic and I want to live independently but I just know it’ll be a total uphill battle if I want to achieve that. I’ve been reading a book on personal finance and investing and that stuff just has my brain in a twist.
Harry Johnathan

Most people don’t invest anyway, no adult I know ever did, and there’s such a high barrier to entry and it’s basically only for grifters and extremely worldly people at this point.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

It's amazing how Lois can cut right through Todd's nonsense and hit the truth square on the head. I don't think I would have made the connection between him being there and it being rent free.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think that it is rent-free just for now though. I get the feeling that at some point Lana WILL start charging rent. Can't quite remember if he said he had a job pre-transformation but I get the feeling he hopes to continue doing nothing.