2023/03/03 - It’s Fine

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2023/03/03 - It’s Fine

Post by D-Rock »

[ 2023/03/03 - It’s Fine ]

Title Text: it’s FINE. it’s probably fine.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Nobody

Re: 2023/03/03 - It’s Fine

Post by Nobody »

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

And so it ends,
the world’s all changed.
It’s gotten better
or is it deranged?
Does it matter
when it comes to you?
Does it change
what you’ll do?
Do you recall
being in the light above?
Do you recall
the purest love?
Making the world
better for all?
Did our heroes
show unbridled gall?
They took the choice
made for everyone.
For right or wrong
a new world’s begun.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Frank

Post by Frank »

I should've known. I should've known when Gelato opened her eyes it would be creepy and terrifying

and OMG Dinner with André I haven't heard that name in YEARS
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

It has been quite a while since I last really posted on the forums, but since this arc is finally wrapping up I thought I might as well. I quite like this arc overall despite how long it went on. I think it really wrapped up the original era of Housepets pretty well and the lead in to this new situation was well done. It leaves a lot to explore. Now IMO the question is, is this just a one off joke with Peanut and Grape or is this Rick brining them back into the forefront of the story to explore the new world.

I guess time will tell, their stories (along with Max and Tarot's) seemed to be pretty well wrapped up IMO. Peanut, Grape and Max's since at least Hearts and Minds (and really more like Save the Date for Peanut and Grape maybe even before that) and Tarot's was at least by telling Kitsune off in this arc and more like at that break down she had earlier in the arc. I would love to see them back in the spotlight but even if not I'm fine with other characters taking over like Marion and Lois or Todd etc.
Startrekfan47

Post by Startrekfan47 »

"Gah, it was a cop-out, I mean an imaginate!"
Jakkal

Post by Jakkal »

yeah.... that sure is a conclusion... bit ham-fisted... changing the whole ecosystem of housepets! on a whim... the thing with the artificial meat... the thing with the identity shifts of criminals, etc... growing tentions between animals and humans (are getting zoos outlawed? What about milk, is it okey to milk a cow?) No I don't like how it all ended... maybe there is one more page, but I don't think it will bring what makes a good conclusion in my eyes.

But hopefully we are stopping having such long winded arcs... those one offs is what I read housepets! long ago 13 years ago. Hopefully that will be the focus once again.
Last edited by Jakkal on Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
CalTheUntitled

Post by CalTheUntitled »

And finally, after 2.3 years, Peanut makes another appearance in the comic
cogalinha

Post by cogalinha »

Would the owners will transform in animals? (It would be funny)
OtherStr8aura

Post by OtherStr8aura »

Jakkal wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:57 am yeah.... that sure is a conclusion... bit ham-fisted... changing the whole ecosystem of housepets! on a whim... the thing with the artificial meat... the thing with the identity shifts of criminals, etc... growing tentions between animals and humans (are getting zoos outlawed? What about milk, is it okey to milk a cow?) No I don't like how it all ended... maybe there is one more page, but I don't think it will bring what makes a good conclusion in my eyes.
if I didn't know any better i'd say that 'New World Order' panel is a direct reply to readers insistent this is the only way the comic is going to end.

Which is almost a shame. I kinda wanna stick around in this new world for a bit.
OtherStr8aura

Post by OtherStr8aura »

IceKitsune wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:18 am I guess time will tell, their stories (along with Max and Tarot's) seemed to be pretty well wrapped up IMO. Peanut, Grape and Max's since at least Hearts and Minds (and really more like Save the Date for Peanut and Grape maybe even before that) and Tarot's was at least by telling Kitsune off in this arc and more like at that break down she had earlier in the arc. I would love to see them back in the spotlight but even if not I'm fine with other characters taking over like Marion and Lois or Todd etc.
>last time we saw Grape and Peanut was their date idea after babysitting

At least, my memory tells me that. But that *can't* be the case.

And anyway, I'm becoming more convinced that this is just Rick not wanting to leave behind a world of transformed humans immediately. Even if he has to get rid of it for the plot, he wanted to show actual real world repercussions and explore what this would mean for the world- Hence the format of a news report.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

OtherStr8aura wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:10 am
IceKitsune wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:18 am I guess time will tell, their stories (along with Max and Tarot's) seemed to be pretty well wrapped up IMO. Peanut, Grape and Max's since at least Hearts and Minds (and really more like Save the Date for Peanut and Grape maybe even before that) and Tarot's was at least by telling Kitsune off in this arc and more like at that break down she had earlier in the arc. I would love to see them back in the spotlight but even if not I'm fine with other characters taking over like Marion and Lois or Todd etc.

And anyway, I'm becoming more convinced that this is just Rick not wanting to leave behind a world of transformed humans immediately. Even if he has to get rid of it for the plot, he wanted to show actual real world repercussions and explore what this would mean for the world- Hence the format of a news report.
Actually the last time we saw Grape (and Maxwell too) was the strip Ambrosia on April 30th 2021 Peanut we haven't seen since physically Not This Again on November 23rd 2020 and non-physically since Party Building Exercise on January 18th 2021 I was talking about how their actually story arcs have basically been concluded since those other arcs; and they have had very little relevance in the comics since then outside of support roles for other characters rather than being main characters.

I'm not even saying this is a bad thing, it's really what should happen to characters who's story arcs and development is finished. I'm just speculating that they might become main characters again since the world is so different now and it would be a good way to use them again to explore that.
Shryke

Post by Shryke »

IceKitsune wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:06 amI'm just speculating that they might become main characters again since the world is so different now and it would be a good way to use them again to explore that.
If you think about it, most prior arcs had very little "exploration" of the world before any of these changes. So maybe we go back to the way arcs were before The Game, just oh by the way the rest of the world is different now?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Incidentally, we do have an idea what dodo tastes like because the settlers who encountered them describe it. Apparently, it's greasy and bitter to the point of being inedible.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Were some of the humans transformed into animals brainwashed a little bit? Some of the statements they are making seem to be a bit coerced into being positive about what happened ("I don't know why, but's it all coming together remarkable smoothly. It'll probably be OK.").

Not to mention the little moment Kate is having in the top middle panel.
Startrekfan47

Post by Startrekfan47 »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:35 pm Were some of the humans transformed into animals brainwashed a little bit? Some of the statements they are making seem to be a bit coerced into being positive about what happened ("I don't know why, but's it all coming together remarkable smoothly. It'll probably be OK.").

Not to mention the little moment Kate is having in the top middle panel.
Also is the "You don't notice you're an animal until someone tells you" rule still in effect?
Startrekfan47

Post by Startrekfan47 »

OtherStr8aura wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:10 am
IceKitsune wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:18 am

I think the last time we heard from them was Grape telling Peanut to put his paw down when Kit asked for volunteers to fight the demons.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

So can the people who were changed change back or not?
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

I could be wrong, it is a little confusing, the way I've taken it is that they will be able to change back eventually, when the... ahem... science... catches up, but it will take a little longer.

Heeey! Peanut and Grape! Missed you guys!
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

That sounds a really good news. :) Milton's wish is going to be real. :D Actually, these changes could be defined as a new world order... :roll: Finally we see Kate's eyes, but preferably not like that, staring at our souls... :? No thanks, keep the artificial fake dodo meat for you. :P So, Grape and Peanut were watching this bad news channel. Go asking for the citizenship now, don't use magic(k) anymore, please. ;) Yeah, what about go back as humans for the transformed ones?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, somehow it seems appropriate for Peanut and Grape to have the benedictary final word on this arc.

Okay, so maybe the last word wasn't up to "tha-theeea tha-theeea tha-theeea tha-that's all, folks" but, hey, I'm ready for an "Imaginate"! and the old gang running around with bags on their heads.
MischaTheWolf

Post by MischaTheWolf »

A Housepets strip has never evoked such a wide range of emotion from me, also uh, I think Rick wants to tell us something through Kate. Hopefully Grape and Peanut keep their heads on their shoulders as this New Order of transformed humans runs amok, I know I personally missed those losers. I wonder how the humans in Babylon Gardens are reacting to this, including everyone’s owners (if they haven’t been transformed themselves).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

MischaTheWolf wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:29 pm A Housepets strip has never evoked such a wide range of emotion from me, also uh, I think Rick wants to tell us something through Kate. Hopefully Grape and Peanut keep their heads on their shoulders as this New Order of transformed humans runs amok, I know I personally missed those losers. I wonder how the humans in Babylon Gardens are reacting to this, including everyone’s owners (if they haven’t been transformed themselves).
Mmmmmmm ... now that you mention it, Mischa, we haven`t seen the old owner's crowd for quite some time. `course, there a lot of the old packs and pets missing from the stage lately, too.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am pretty sure that all of the owners or most of them were probably transformed. That way Rick won't have to listen about complaints that the owners aren't around anymore and instead just the complaints about the forced transformation which he doesn't care about. Plus it means he can draw humans LESS.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I just had a thought. Is panel 2 a callback to something Tarot said right around when she was introduced into the comic?
MischaTheWolf

Post by MischaTheWolf »

“ THE HOUR SHALL COME TO PASS, YOUR LIVES WILL BE CHANGED FOREVER IN WAYS YOU CANNOT IMAGINE, FOR YOU STARE NOW INTO THE ABYSS, UNABLE TO COMPREHEND WHAT YOU SEE THE TRUTH SHALL BE BROUGHT TO THE LIGHT, AND I FEAR THAT DAY, FOR ALL WHO DO NOT HOLD LOVE IN THEIR HEARTS SHALL PERISH, AND THEIR GOULS WILL BE BROKEN INTO SHARDS AS COUNTLESS AS ALL THE SAND ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH.”

I think it could be related, but this is specifically about the new order transformation. I do see similarities though, maybe the 2009 strip could be seen as subtle foreshadowing.
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

I love how definitively this has been written as "It all worked out okay. Stop asking questions."

I approve. XD
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

The top middle panel really works, the shading and the directly head on view is striking I think, reminds me of when Dragon took over Tarot at times and her pupils changed colour (if I recall correctly).
Disproportionately Dappled
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

When Celestials take over a mortal, their pupils do end up changing to the color of the Celestial. It happened with King and Pete also.

Plus when Bailey's eyes glowed red after she smashed Bino's teeth out people assumed that she was under Kitsune's control but no, she was just very angry.

Kate might be under his control though since that speech came out of nowhere. :!:
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

MischaTheWolf wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:29 am “ THE HOUR SHALL COME TO PASS, YOUR LIVES WILL BE CHANGED FOREVER IN WAYS YOU CANNOT IMAGINE, FOR YOU STARE NOW INTO THE ABYSS, UNABLE TO COMPREHEND WHAT YOU SEE THE TRUTH SHALL BE BROUGHT TO THE LIGHT, AND I FEAR THAT DAY, FOR ALL WHO DO NOT HOLD LOVE IN THEIR HEARTS SHALL PERISH, AND THEIR GOULS WILL BE BROKEN INTO SHARDS AS COUNTLESS AS ALL THE SAND ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH.”
I don't remember ghouls being involved, but otherwise that sounds about right.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Nobody wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:12 pm
MischaTheWolf wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:29 am “ THE HOUR SHALL COME TO PASS, YOUR LIVES WILL BE CHANGED FOREVER IN WAYS YOU CANNOT IMAGINE, FOR YOU STARE NOW INTO THE ABYSS, UNABLE TO COMPREHEND WHAT YOU SEE THE TRUTH SHALL BE BROUGHT TO THE LIGHT, AND I FEAR THAT DAY, FOR ALL WHO DO NOT HOLD LOVE IN THEIR HEARTS SHALL PERISH, AND THEIR GOULS WILL BE BROKEN INTO SHARDS AS COUNTLESS AS ALL THE SAND ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH.”
I don't remember ghouls being involved, but otherwise that sounds about right.
Oh, fer pity's sake, is it time for another congressional election already ?!
Noir The Sable
Location: Outside the door to my own little happy place, rifling through my pockets for the keys.

Post by Noir The Sable »

Eh, still not satisfied/pleased with it, but as a plot device to relatively quickly shift gears from winding, involved fantasy plotlines to returning to Housepets' roots in slice-of-life silliness and retellings of cult classic media with brown sandwich bag hats, I suppose this kind of deus ex machina works.
"A witty saying proves nothing."
--François-Marie Arouet, "Le dîner du comte de Boulainvilliers"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Pretty sure this conclusion is what Rick thought would be the easiest and best way to just finish all of the cosmic arcs within the comic.

Whether or not he could see how divided the ending makes all of the readers is a whole different thing.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

The real breaking news here is that Peanut and Grape finally appeared again in the comic they were the original main characters of for the first time in like several months.
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:20 pm Pretty sure this conclusion is what Rick thought would be the easiest and best way to just finish all of the cosmic arcs within the comic.
Also, it wraps up Keene's central plotline, and all of the serious ones surrounding him... I don't think there's currently a serious plot line that hasn't been resolved by this. So like, if Rick wants to just occasionally make updates where nothing serious is happening, he can do that now... Or just drop it entirely and say that he didn't leave any serious loose threads.
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

RockstarRaccoon wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:53 am The real breaking news here is that Peanut and Grape finally appeared again in the comic they were the original main characters of for the first time in like several months.
Agreed, RockStarRacc. The return of the "founding feline and canine" makes a gentle but convincing segue that the series is returning its "comic-as-comic" foundations. The "drama" (Keene) and "cosmic" (GKitsune, etc.) may also take a long hiatus as well, except for an occasional one-or-two shot turn (Lester, Dallas, and Joey still game for yah, GK). It may also be that Rick wants to devote more time to other projects and divert his time and creative energies away from Housepets!.

Or not.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I am very curious now where this comic's direction is going at this point.

My guess is that Peanut and Grape might have to adjust to the changes? Or will they somehow be able to ignore what's going on?

Only time will tell.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Only Rick and the limerick-spouting Hermit know for sure ........
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Would he still be a hermit if he ended up also being forcefully changed though?
Startrekfan47

Post by Startrekfan47 »

I wonder what Itsuki's take on all this will be. Will he be semi snarky and be like "Well, congratulations on FINALLY following Japan's footsteps in recognising native animal rights. What took you so long?"?