2023/02/24 - Do Not Adjust Your Dial

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Amazee Dayzee

Re: 2023/02/24 - Do Not Adjust Your Dial

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That seems to be the vibe I am getting also. Especially since I heard most of Rick's Patreon are enjoying this and shout down anybody who tries to point out that there are downsides to it.
CryosR

Post by CryosR »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:55 pm That seems to be the vibe I am getting also. Especially since I heard most of Rick's Patreon are enjoying this and shout down anybody who tries to point out that there are downsides to it.
I just got it, this feels kinda like the "Ginger Kids" episode of South Park where Cartman gets a makeover in his sleep to make him "ginger" after turning everyone against them based on his prejudice, then turns around once he's "one of them" and tries to make it look like "Gingers" are superior.

that's creepy
Jakkal

Post by Jakkal »

I see, some "walking in my shoes" kind of thing. People will turn back and they see those animals as equal, because, heeeey, I just was a cougar for a while. Neat!... And everyone is happy and rainbows are still considered inferior to the cloud party, but noone cared that day.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

CryosR wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:42 pm [quote="Harry Johnathan" post_id=949603 time=<a href="tel:1677502272">1677502272</a> user_id=10852]
[quote=CryosR post_id=949601 time=<a href="tel:1677481837">1677481837</a> user_id=11097]
The animal-centric stuff here sounds like white supremacy, but maybe I'm just projecting my own self-loathing onto this.
Could you elaborate on that, I am VERY confused right now.
[/quote]

Basically just a general sense of "animals are better, humans suck" sort of thing, especially with world leaders hastily trying to make it so they aren't forced out of their jobs for being animals and probably further than that.

Don't mind me though, I'm probably just projecting how much I hate myself into this read
[/quote]
As much as I’m not liking this direction for the ending for a couple of reasons, I highly doubt that’s what Rick is wanting to say here. If I had to hazard a guess, and I reiterate, a guess, this would let him justify having animal characters do more things in the comic’s future.

And if you want to talk, CryosR, there are places here do let it out. We may be unable to directly help, but having someone for a shoulder could be somewhat helpful.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The emphasis on the comic was always on the pets so I can see why Rick would want to go down that route. Though the magic of the comic is that theree were humans in it also. It now just feels like this is a way for him to focus more on animals.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, truthfully, we haven't seen a lot of "human" participation in this strip lately, just befuddled mothers (Lois's and Todd's, for example) trying to see their transformed kids in a still positive light. Guess it helps that they still wear clothes, use flush toilets and speak english.

Besides slowing the pacing with the once-a-week schedule, the comics seem to be getting more "wordy", too.
Last edited by NHWestoN on Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Since the comic is now only updated one or two times a week, I imagine that they need to be bigger because of that. Its like equivalent exchange mostly. You reduce the number of strips but make the strips you do post bigger.