For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2023/01/10 - Just Deserts

Post by D-Rock »

[ 2023/01/10 - Just Deserts ]

Title Text: ”Does it count if we didn’t REALLY sacrifice our lives for this?”
“Do you want the boons or not?”
“I’ll be quiet.”

Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Welsh Halfwit

Re: 2023/02/10 - Just Deserts

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

It’s over now, aren’t you glad?
Oh, look, Cerb brought Karishad
to help her carry the boons
she’s gifting to the mortal loons.
Marion’s where he feels is best;
tight against his Bobcats’ chest
as she reasons with the god.
(One of the good’uns, not a sod)
Tarot got her dearest dream
but rubbing it in seems obscene.
Now, what will the team wish for?
We’ll find the truth now for sure...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Were Jack

Post by Were Jack »

Rick trolled everyone who expected them to die and use their wishes for revival. This is brilliant. I agree with Cerberus that it's stupid. And cliche too. Now I wonder what would they wish for, actually.
Last edited by D-Rock on Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don’t circumvent the language filter in that manner
FalinkesInculta

Post by FalinkesInculta »

We all know what Marion and Lois will choose, but what do you think Todd will choose? I think he’ll use it to refill the food truck and then realize what he just threw away
Next up is a song about a beautiful woman i met,

Just kidding,

Its about getting drunk
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

Were Jack wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:44 am Rick trolled everyone who expected them to die and use their wishes for revival. This is brilliant. I agree with Cerberus that it's stupid. And cliche too. Now I wonder what would they wish for, actually.
But it would've been hilariously cruel bit of comedy, like something out of a Gore Verbinisky movie.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Gotta respect a girl who knows what she wants.
Cosmacelf

Post by Cosmacelf »

What is a psychopomp?
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

FalinkesInculta wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:31 am We all know what Marion and Lois will choose, but what do you think Todd will choose? I think he’ll use it to refill the food truck and then realize what he just threw away
Based on what Marion & Lois have said about stuff over the course of this arc, with Lois saying she loves being a lynx and she wonders why the others have such a hard time admitting it.
There’s also Marion’s nervousness and uncertainty about it, also here, it feels like they probably aren’t going to choose being human.

They may very well choose to stay the way they are, but get some extra perks. I could see Marion asking to be rid of his tree nut allergy for his boon. As for Lois? I’m not sure. She could be content with what she has and ask for nothing, much like Tarot did. Or something like a car that’s ergonomically sized for her lynx self.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So glad that the boon wasn't bringing them back after they were killed in the final battle with Eudoant. As Lois pointed out if that was their boon it would have been incredibly mean.

Also love Tarot rubbing it in Kitsune's face that not only did she FINALLY save the world, but Kitsune needed help. <3
CryosR

Post by CryosR »

Cosmacelf wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:32 am What is a psychopomp?
A being that guides the dead to the afterlife

I think Keene is going to use it to advance his cause somehow, not sure about the others but if he goes first it might change their opinions on staying animals or not
Last edited by D-Rock on Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please use the edit button to add more to your post as opposed to double-posting
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I’m more worried about whether someone will use their boon to return the city inhabitants to normal or not.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

And Mr. Aardvark doesn't get a boon...
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:44 pm And Mr. Aardvark doesn't get a boon...
I’d like to think that they either found him and gave him his boon already, or they’re gonna seek him out later to give him one.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Uhm, that's why Cerberus showed there. There's still other mana around? Good so, it should be enough to bring each of them back to life. :) Karishad can be everywhere he wants, eheh. :P That's pretty cruel, indeed, but I see your worry, Lois... :? Lesson well learned, too: never deal with demigods. ;) Ahahah, it's pride showing time for Tarot, she succeeded in what wanted to do. :D Get that, Great Kitsune! 8-) :P
Poor multi-tailed fox, though, he already got so many worries in so little time after the defeat of Eudoant... :|
vulpinator

Post by vulpinator »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:26 pm So glad that the boon wasn't bringing them back after they were killed in the final battle with Eudoant. As Lois pointed out if that was their boon it would have been incredibly mean.

Also love Tarot rubbing it in Kitsune's face that not only did she FINALLY save the world, but Kitsune needed help. <3
That kinda annoyed me, and by the look on the others’ faces (namely Lois), I don’t think I was the only one. Tarot herself needed the help of everyone else (well, aside Todd), who were risking what they believed to be their lives in order to even get close to the mana, yet she’s kinda taking all the credit here.
Besides, she already got to rub it in GK’s face back at the house, by reminding him everything was his fault. And I don’t think he was too proud for help (though I imagine that could be part of it), but rather it’s that he felt responsible for what happened and wanted to right his own wrongs, and wanted to avoid endangering the lives of mortals.
But hey, I don’t remember the full context of when Tarot got mad at GK over the temple (and GK singing back at her), and this is probably just me frustrated seeing a character I really liked appear to end on such a low note, with future appearances seeming very unlikely with the changes that were announced.
OtherStr8aura

Post by OtherStr8aura »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:32 am Marion’s where he feels is best;
tight against his Bobcats’ chest
He's been through a lot. He deserves some physical comfort.
Titanium Dragon

Post by Titanium Dragon »

Ash Greytree wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:29 am
FalinkesInculta wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:31 am We all know what Marion and Lois will choose, but what do you think Todd will choose? I think he’ll use it to refill the food truck and then realize what he just threw away
Based on what Marion & Lois have said about stuff over the course of this arc, with Lois saying she loves being a lynx and she wonders why the others have such a hard time admitting it.
There’s also Marion’s nervousness and uncertainty about it, also here, it feels like they probably aren’t going to choose being human.

They may very well choose to stay the way they are, but get some extra perks. I could see Marion asking to be rid of his tree nut allergy for his boon. As for Lois? I’m not sure. She could be content with what she has and ask for nothing, much like Tarot did. Or something like a car that’s ergonomically sized for her lynx self.
They might ask to be swapped back to their original genders.

Or Marion might ask to be turned into something more appropriately sized for his girlfriend.

Or they might ask to fix the whole "inequality between humans and animals" thing. Or at least do so for themselves, so that people will just be like "Yeah whatever" when it comes to them.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Tarot stages a "Gloat-o-Rama"! On the other hand, Grape stayed home with Peanut. So ...... ?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Good thing she stayed up in Heaven with Peanut. She probably would have been really annoyed with how Tarot is acting here.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

While some people felt this arc went too dark (which I can totally understand), for me a moment like this makes it worth it. There's a sense of joy and relief to this strip that's only possible due to it coming after the darkness of the previous strips.
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

You know what? Even I can't begrudge Tarot this one.

You go, girl. XD
Harry Johnathan

CunningFox wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:14 pm While some people felt this arc went too dark (which I can totally understand), for me a moment like this makes it worth it. There's a sense of joy and relief to this strip that's only possible due to it coming after the darkness of the previous strips.
By contrast i don't think this arc got dark enough, but that's just me lol.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

This was really a great arc and I will remember it for a long time.
And on my part about Tarot:
I can't really be mad at her for it.
cglenn

Post by cglenn »

She is so cute in that last panel.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Too bad she probably won't realize that she annoyed EVERYBODY with her gloat.

But hey, screw them. She's a hero now!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:44 pm And Mr. Aardvark doesn't get a boon...
Maybe the back-seat make out with Todd was his boon. Which might also explain why they ran out of baklava just as Panda man got to the truck counter.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Of course he is not gonna get a boon. He didn't do anything so he doesn't really deserve one.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

What's gonna happen to Nega-Breel? ... or have I already asked that?
PhycoKrusk

Post by PhycoKrusk »

I have never enjoyed a page of this comic as much as the one I just saw.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

What was your favorite part if I may ask?
Jakkal

Post by Jakkal »

my guess, those being transformed gonna wish to be humans again...

they hopefully also wish for some clothes... the desert sun can be very dangerous...
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Jakkal wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:06 am my guess, those being transformed gonna wish to be humans again...

they hopefully also wish for some clothes... the desert sun can be very dangerous...
True ... after escaping all that trauma, none of them would want to acquire a bad case of toasted tush. :lol:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am sure the adrenalin from being zapped and then technically killed in the battle will prevent them from feeling the pain of the sunburn at first. :lol:
PhycoKrusk

Post by PhycoKrusk »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:39 am What was your favorite part if I may ask?
The party where Tarot realized her destiny, and then rubbed it in Great Kitsune's big dumb face.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have to admit that was one of my favorite parts also. He definitely deserved it. ;)
rourkie

Post by rourkie »

So, I'm probably in the minority here, but I really don't think Kitsune deserves all the sass that Tarot gave him after all this.

I would have expected that her beef would be much more towards the Spirit Dragon and Pete, given they're the ones who really screwed with her more than Kitsune did. (I have thoughts about their own character development in this arc, but that's for a different thread.)

Kitsune's thing with Tarot was always more about, "Hey, sometimes you can't be the hero, and just need some time to enjoy your life instead of obsessing over saving the world." It seems to me like he was actually trying to get her to consider a more healthy attitude toward life in general than just letting being an Avatar of a higher power define her.

Yes, we're happy Tarot helped to save the world, and WITHOUT the help of the Dragon. But as a few others have pointed out, she still did it with help from the other mortals. They all had a part to play in it, and yes, the sum of these parts was not insignificant. This could have been a really moving way to show her that even mortals, without Divine influence, make a difference by living their lives and fighting for the people they care about.

This whole sass thing seems like a cheap gag at the end of what could have been a more meaningful journey for her. It's not my story to tell, obviously, but for me the more interesting thing would have been for Tarot to show empathy to an obviously beleaguered, and exhausted, Kitsune.
--
"Some things are beyond the logic of our eyes and ears..."
Harry Johnathan

Yeah, I thought the whole point of Tarot's arc was to show that trying to save the world was a bad thing and was stunting her emotionally.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Harry Johnathan wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:41 am Yeah, I thought the whole point of Tarot's arc was to show that trying to save the world was a bad thing and was stunting her emotionally.
I think that she's shown she has grown quite a bit but, as the 4th Doctor once put it "There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish occasionally!"
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Not to mention KITSUNE needs to have some shade thrown at him also. Who better to do it than Tarot? Plus now that she saved the world, unless her memory gets wiped maybe she will stop obsessing over it.
rourkie

Post by rourkie »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:04 pm Not to mention KITSUNE needs to have some shade thrown at him also. Who better to do it than Tarot? Plus now that she saved the world, unless her memory gets wiped maybe she will stop obsessing over it.
Except that it really isn't her place to do so. Pete and Dragon have a much more deserving right to be shady towards Kitsune, and they even acknowledge he was right in a roundabout way.

Not only is Tarot unwilling to consider what Kitsune has been telling her, but she's blatantly refusing to consider there might be some genuinely good advice in things he's been saying.
--
"Some things are beyond the logic of our eyes and ears..."