2022/10/18 - Little Stinker

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2022/10/18 - Little Stinker

Post by D-Rock »

[ 2022/10/18 - Little Stinker ]

Title Text: I mean, if you THINK about it, you technically WIN if you get hi—GAH STOOOOP SHAAAAKKIIIIINNNGG MMEEEEE

Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Jakkal

Re: 2022/10/18 - Little Stinker

Post by Jakkal »

another one bites the dust.

But big boy is giving too much attention to Kitsune's "minions". Should be a chance for him for a counter.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

So, what happens when YOU die, Craig?
You didn’t go up last time.
Did you ever think about that, kid?
Your ethics are lying in grime.
You don’t have all the answers
especially when it comes to yourself.
You have no richness of spirit;
you just possess desolations wealth.
We see what Pete has learned
and it seems it’s precious little.
When it comes to creatures of hope,
he’s not even worth Breels’ spittle.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Now I see why I decided to scrap my Steward ending theory...however, I'm beginning to think Craig and Draig will make it now, just the way things are going, though I'm not holding my breath as...yeah, Craig/Pete here really doesn't deserve a second chance at being a Celestial due to how he acted throughout his entire time as a mortal (Plus, I REALLY don't want him to be messing with King and his Family again in anyway). Still, part of me believes that either Tarot or Keene will be the one to reach the mana pool but, if it has to be either Craig/Pete or Draig/Dragon, then OK.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

I’m of the opinion that Marion & Lois are gonna be the duo who help Craig/Draig finally reach the mana pool. Kix may or may not survive, and I think Keene has high chances of surviving, but I can see the Lois & Marion being the pivotal characters here.

Also regarding the best parts of folks going to Heaven: My money is on this not actually happening for the folks who got zorched. This is because 1) Everyone has a potential boon that can bring them back to life and Heaven likely doesn’t want people having all their bad parts flushed and then going back down to live out the rest of their natural lives because it’d upset the balancex and 2) Heaven likely has a special process for removing the bad parts that you have to go through before entering Heaven, rather than the bad parts being flushed instantly.

Keene died briefly when he drowned, and when he was resuscitated, he still had his faults and vices. People biting it for a brief time and then coming back is common enough that the bad-parts-removal can’t be instant. I expect to see everyone who got zorched in a waiting room, something maybe similar to a doctor’s office. Breel and Todd playing with the beads-on-wires thing that all doc offices have.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Cosmacelf

Post by Cosmacelf »

I sometimes wonder in these web comics if the author is sometimes talking directly to us forum participants. That last panel is almost a rebuke to some chatter here on the forums. I’m probably reading too much into it…
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Ash Greytree wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:11 am I’m of the opinion that Marion & Lois are gonna be the duo who help Craig/Draig finally reach the mana pool.
I've been thinking that myself as we spent alot of time with them these past few arcs...heck, I'd love it if they were the ones who got in the mana pool and undid everything that happened with the coin this arc.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

SeanWolf wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:20 am
Ash Greytree wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:11 am I’m of the opinion that Marion & Lois are gonna be the duo who help Craig/Draig finally reach the mana pool.
I've been thinking that myself as we spent alot of time with them these past few arcs...heck, I'd love it if they were the ones who got in the mana pool and undid everything that happened with the coin this arc.
Reaching the mana pool and hitting the undo button wouldn’t be satisfying, IMO.

The mana pool is prolly gonna get fully spent on supercharging the characters that reach it so they can help Kitsune lay the smackdown on Eudoant. The folks most likely to deal with the impact the Coin has had on River Ridge is Heaven. I’m still thinking that more folks than just Aardvark and his boss who he told about the animal transformation (and then suddenly realized they’re a bear) are gonna find out they’ve been transformed. Everyone who realizes they were transformed gets the option of returning to human or staying in their current form if they like it, and everyone who didn’t notice just gets poofed back to human.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Ash Greytree wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:44 am
SeanWolf wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:20 am
Reaching the mana pool and hitting the undo button wouldn’t be satisfying, IMO.

The mana pool is prolly gonna get fully spent on supercharging the characters that reach it so they can help Kitsune lay the smackdown on Eudoant. The folks most likely to deal with the impact the Coin has had on River Ridge is Heaven. I’m still thinking that more folks than just Aardvark and his boss who he told about the animal transformation (and then suddenly realized they’re a bear) are gonna find out they’ve been transformed. Everyone who realizes they were transformed gets the option of returning to human or staying in their current form if they like it, and everyone who didn’t notice just gets poofed back to human.
You know, that does seem like a better ending for the Coin Arc (personally, I'm just ready for this arc to be over as I'm looking forward to the return to slices of life...and I'm still waiting on the King reacting to Olive's new boyfriend story :P ).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Who is "The Stinker"? Steward or Craig?

This is not an informational question but a moral characterization ... Steward just sacrificed his mortal being (his life) to save Craig based on the traditional ideal that the preservation of children is a parental/adult obligation over self-preservation. However, Craig is not a child, only a transformed adult/adolescent Celestial (albeit a remarkable narcisstic and immature one). If you followed his logic, then Craig should embrace getting zapped as that would instantly restore him to his "true' status ... or maybe not, maybe someting worse. Anyways .....

1. Casualties are mounting.
2. Be interesting to discover what advantage GK is taking of all these sacfices while Eudoant is distracted by her multiple target opportunies.
3. Be interesting to see how/if Lois reacts to Craig's distainful insensitvity.
4. What's Tarot's game, assuming she's now emerged as the "Grand Strategist" here with GK immobilized by his combat?
5. Is this Steward's final act of "redemption" - maybe a little insight into Rick's evolving moral universe. He seems to have been through a number of spiritual passages over the life of Housepets.

I could use a little "slice-of-life" break myself, Sean, but I guess that's partly my own reaction to having the intensity of the drama ratchet into high gear while the paced of one or two strips a week seems to slow the narrative down. But, hey, it's Rick's world and I'm just a guest here so I'll just continue to enjoy his operatic cartooning.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So then it looks like that is another hero that is gone but because of the fact that so many people are getting hit by the beam I feel like they aren't annihilated and just booted back to Heaven. So that is Todd, Breel, Enby and now Steward. I wonder who will be next?
CryosR

Post by CryosR »

Cosmacelf wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:16 am I sometimes wonder in these web comics if the author is sometimes talking directly to us forum participants. That last panel is almost a rebuke to some chatter here on the forums. I’m probably reading too much into it…
If that's the case then I feel like I've lost all sense of investment in the story's outcome
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Eudoant wants to eliminate all of you, it's like nothing will stop him... :( Great catch, Lois, and now also Steward paid with life. :? You tasted burn fur, Craig? :P Oh well, doesn't matter. :roll: I agree with you, Lois, but he's a kit, what can you do? ;) Yes, they go to Heaven, but it's still not their time... :|
OtherStr8aura

Post by OtherStr8aura »

CryosR wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:57 pm
Cosmacelf wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:16 am I sometimes wonder in these web comics if the author is sometimes talking directly to us forum participants. That last panel is almost a rebuke to some chatter here on the forums. I’m probably reading too much into it…
If that's the case then I feel like I've lost all sense of investment in the story's outcome
Why? Because he acknowledges our complaints? How does that affect enjoyment of the story?

I agree that this recent arc has had trouble with the story we're meant to take seriously being at odds with the gags we're not, but I'm personally enjoying this 'finale' to Housepets. Finding out the consequences of all these deaths excites me. But then again, I hopped on recently- I imagine it will be very different for those who have been following this comic for 10 years to see, say, Tarot getting nuked.

That's my next bet- either Tarot or Lois get zapped.
CryosR

Post by CryosR »

OtherStr8aura wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:15 pm
CryosR wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:57 pm
Why? Because he acknowledges our complaints? How does that affect enjoyment of the story?

I agree that this recent arc has had trouble with the story we're meant to take seriously being at odds with the gags we're not, but I'm personally enjoying this 'finale' to Housepets. Finding out the consequences of all these deaths excites me. But then again, I hopped on recently- I imagine it will be very different for those who have been following this comic for 10 years to see, say, Tarot getting nuked.

That's my next bet- either Tarot or Lois get zapped.
right sorry.... I'll shut up now and retreat to where I belong...
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Rick has stated elsewhere that he’s trying to avoid getting involved in any type of discussion about this arc either on his Discord, Twitter, or here on the forums, so as to not influence what we’re talking about or be influenced by others in his decisions in his story, which he has already planned out during his hiatus.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Looks like Rick's going for the Blake's 7 ending.
Cosmacelf

Post by Cosmacelf »

D-Rock wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:03 pm Rick has stated elsewhere that he’s trying to avoid getting involved in any type of discussion about this arc either on his Discord, Twitter, or here on the forums, so as to not influence what we’re talking about or be influenced by others in his decisions in his story, which he has already planned out during his hiatus.
Good!
Gregourii

Post by Gregourii »

You would think with the rate the cast is getting zapped, they'd be wearing red shirts!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

CunningFox wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:19 pm Looks like Rick's going for the Blake's 7 ending.
For those that don't know, 'Blakes 7' was a late 70s/early 80s BBC sci-fi series. It featured a group of rebels - led by someone called Roj Blake - who fought the Galactic Federation. For the last two seasons, Blake had been missing, leaving his crew (and a couple of new recruits) under the command of his underhanded, cold blooded and cunning second, Kerr Avon.. And these are the last five minutes of the series. (It cuts to titles when Avon smiles)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70VCwtRDSkA
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Frank

Post by Frank »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:09 am So, what happens when YOU die, Craig?
We don't know, but it sure seems to imply similar rules to ...certain other supernatural comics (being more specific as to which comics is against forum rules)
The rules being that only mortals get an afterlife. Celestials and demons... when they're gone, they're gone.
NHWestoN wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:59 am Steward just sacrificed his mortal being (his life)
It will be interesting to see how that affects his fate, or whether they will rule he was under the influence of undemonization so it doesn't count. I do have to wonder what "holy" Steward and "nega" Steward would be like
NHWestoN wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:59 amHowever, Craig is not a child
Isn't he though? He has a mother. He has childish temper-tantrums. He's biologically a child. I'm not convinced he wouldn't be treated as one in judgement. Maybe that's his fear, that if he's sent to heaven like this, he'll get stuck as a child forever
Ash Greytree wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:11 am Keene died briefly when he drowned, and when he was resuscitated, he still had his faults and vices. People biting it for a brief time and then coming back is common enough that the bad-parts-removal can’t be instant.
Or maybe it is and that's what Craig is so afraid of. Keene's near-death-experience was a special circumstance: he wasn't completely dead, only "mostly dead" (which is why they were able to send him back at all, if memory serves). It literally wasn't his time. Heaven may very well decide it is their time for any of the deaths we've seen in this arc. The "stay" on changes to/from the outside world was only supposed to apply to Babylon Gardens and its surroundings. We're literally and figuratively in uncharted territory.
D-Rock wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:03 pm Rick has stated elsewhere that he’s trying to avoid getting involved in any type of discussion about this arc either on his Discord, Twitter, or here on the forums, so as to not influence what we’re talking about or be influenced by others in his decisions in his story, which he has already planned out during his hiatus.
It's not just this arc; he announced that decision years ago because people kept either (a) guessing the ending right, (b) criticizing his abilities, or (c) making demands on the next arc, which would affect direction the story went in even if subconsciously. (I believe this strip may have been the straw that broke the camel's back. Looking back, I remember the whole preceding year or so having a LOT of that, from the the "is this why Rick doesn't draw humans?" strip to the "didn't they have a backup generator?" strip)
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I know that I would do the same exact thing Rick does if I had to deal with what he is dealing with. Then again, I have zero talent so I don't need to worry.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

It's Rick's world - we're still just guests in it.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sort of like how this is a world a God may or may not have created and we are all guests in it too.
vulpinator

Post by vulpinator »

Seems like Steward did not live long enough to become the villain.
…again.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

He might not be living but at least he still exists. I'm still standing by my theory that getting zapped boots you back to Heaven.
Frank

Post by Frank »

I just remembered i was originally going to make a joke about shaken baby syndrome but I forgot it with all those other comments I replied to
Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:48 pm He might not be living but at least he still exists. I'm still standing by my theory that getting zapped boots you back to Heaven.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if, when they they go pick everyone up at heaven, Cerberus tells us "oh no, demon vaporization is total. It doesn't send them here, they're just gone"
November 21, 2010
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That actually would be really dark and sad even for Rick. Though it is the last arc so it might be what ends up happening. :?
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Plus, from a story-telling standpoint, it doesn't make sense. Why introduce characters or, in NegaBreel's and Steward's case, redeem them just to kill them off and say "Nope, they dead! Ain't coming back"?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

As someone mentioned earlier, Rick's running the ol'Agatha Christie plotting - knocking off the team one by one by one until we're down to the last cast member who solves the crime/overcomes the challenge/dies heroically (or pitifully). Of course, that begs the questions of how many more of the team will get atomized before Eudoant is finally overcome.

Not to mention the other dark question lurking ... will they encounter Joel's mother in Heaven? yipes...
Frank

Post by Frank »

well, I mean... it could very well be a "failure is the only option" situation, where the demon wins, leading on to an even longer arc of "living under the demon's yoke"
November 21, 2010
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That could be interesting but I still would think of it as being too dark. Don't think Rick will go that way.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

... Will Eudoant summon the kraken, I mean, TheForgotten ?!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Is it even possible for him to do that? I thought it could only be summoned if something contaminated the mana pool?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, with all these shattered corpses floating around ...... :twisted: