THE LOPER:- The Chase

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

Welsh Halfwit

Re: THE LOPER:- The Chase

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Next one is the last part. I'm working on a Savra story right now but, due to change in my personal life that are coming soon, I want to finish it before putting it up.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure it will be as great as the other stories you posted! You are a very awesome writer!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

FIFTY-SIX

Hawle crouched in his full official regalia and made sure Sarah’s dress didn’t have any fluff attached to it as they waited in the office of the Cora II multi-faith church for things to begin. The church had been Colleen’s contribution to proceedings after they’d had troubles finding a venue on such short notice. They’d mentioned the troubles to her the week before and had left her place still fretting. An hour later the priest had called, not saying that the leader of his church had been on to stress that space needed to be made. All Colleen had said was that she’d had a word with her father.. Aldair hadn’t needed to know more. We he as nervous as she was, Aldair wondered as he looked at the Human standing next to him. Had he ever noticed the fine, tiny, fur follicles on a Human arm before? Like the ‘Hare’ but almost invisible until up close. He must have noticed it, right?

“There’s no muck on it, sir,” the Burman in a dress told him, making him look up to his trusted First Officer and he found it easier not to grin and try to hold in the laugh this time. He’d have to get one of the photographs someone would take, he supposed. Even if they made him pay for it. Even if SHE made him pay for it later.

“Just checking, Sarina,” he bluffed, standing straight as Cassie the ring bearer copied him.

Hav had arrived two days prior and Sarah had decided Cassie was a better choice for ring bearer than either Marin or Rodin because of the inevitable arguments and fights that would ensue between the two. The pair had been happy to see their friend from the camp anyway and Cassie had needed to be dressed and told what she needed to do, which wasn’t hard. A quick trip had her in a yellow tinted dress that she didn’t hate and shoes that she did but would suffer for Miss Sarah. She held up the small cushion the rings were to go on just as the Vicar had told her.

“You’re doing brilliantly, Cassie,” ‘Uncle’ Aldair told her. She decided she’d remind him about the promised doll later.

At the door to the church, Edelmar Polva fidgeted as though his life depended on it. Everyone was already in the church, even Rhydran was here, having arrived just this morning and claiming he’d always planned to visit and what a co-incidence. Edelmar didn’t believe a word of it but was happy to embrace his most famous friend in the universe and accept his presence on the Groom side of the aisle. His folks were joining via vidlink and his side was mostly comprised of technicians and local friends he’d made. “Is the bride supposed to be in the church when I get to the altar,” he asked, a little shakily.

“I believe she wanted to save the expense of a car,” Cedar counselled as Marius, his Alsan ‘best male’ chatted with David Dawton’s ‘plus one’, Sonia Carlisle, about various things including how she dealt with so many awkward Captains who wanted priority departure slots. When was..?”

“Time for us to head in,” Marius said, pulling himself away from the ladies and checking his comm.

“Switch that off,” Polva instructed. He put it to ‘time only’ and led the way in.

The four strode down the aisle, past Salla and Groal, Harvey and Gilly, who had her hand on his and that smile that said she was going to punch people to catch the bouquet afterwards. Colleen nodded to the foursome elegantly and he nodded back, slightly reassured by her presence. Some of his friends from Talvary station were in attendance, meeting Sarah for the first or second time in their lives. The squad reached the gold plated altar and the Mican in the big hat.

“That’s our cue,” Night said as the organist started up a tune Sarah couldn’t recognise.

“Is it,” she asked curiously, “I was expecting ‘the wedding march’.”

“You have it,” Night told her again. “The Canine wedding march.” She grinned. “You should have been specific. Let’s go! He’s waiting.”

Sarah was trembling slightly in her outfit, Hawle noted as he gently took her arm and led the team down the aisle, left foot first. Pity Cassie had gone right foot first and was, therefore, out of step. She added a quick step to catch up and they came out at the end of the aisle, walking past Mercy and the nightmares and Elena and Katara, who was still attached to a medical device, just in case. It looked like a jelly in a Canid form was waiting for them at the altar. The music stopped as they arrived and Hawle stood back as the dress containing Sarah moved to the side of her betrothed and Marius gave the ring to Cassie to carry, along with Sarah’s, on the cushion. She nodded acceptance and mouthed a ‘thank you’ before falling in.

The Preacher, a little non-plussed at being told to get this ceremony on if he wanted to retain his cassock, took the assembled through the main part of the ceremony, welcoming everyone to the church and raising a chuckle when he suggested that he’d actually seen a few of them at regular services outside of weddings. He extolled the virtues of union amongst the species and the gods and that they all smiled on pure love, no matter which pantheon they were from (well, the good ones at least, Hawle thought) He added that the universe was construct and all sentient life moved through it as working parts, shaping the future at they went. He talked for the best part of a quarter of an hour according to Hawle’s faultless internal clock. He was getting pecki…

“Who gives this female to be married to this male?”

Hawle swallowed. “I do,” he said simply. The Priest looked at him expectantly. Oh, right. “Commander Aldair Hawle, Captain of the United Security Council ship ‘Loper’ and friend to he bride, acting in place of the father.”

“Accepted. And who gives the groom?”

Polva looked around in alarm. He’d not expected this. He hadn’t arranged for someone to…

“That’d be me,” said an imposing voice from the back of the church. Polva practically boggled as a strong looking older Russellian stepped from an alcove and strode up, complete in three piece suit.

“Unc… Uncle Yalta,” he breathed, not noting Rydran hiding his face behind a hand as his trick played itself out.

“Of course,” Yalta said, stopping by the pair and putting his hands on Polva’s arms. “You think I’d miss this? Got a flight out as soon as I was told about it. For what it’s worth,” he added, “I approve.”

“We met last night,” Sarah admitted. She looked at him hopefully. “One, last, secret,” she asked.

“Can we get on with this,” the Priest asked hopefully.

Rings exchanged, kisses given and photographs taken, the crowd assembled outside for the other part and Cedar wandered off to check in on the team of caterers he’d been allowed to hire for the occasion to manage the reception. Hawle and Elena hung back, leaning on each other as the main females assembled for the throwing of the flowers. Was that Marin in there? Cassie was on Hav’s shoulders to see and Gilly and Maze were in the ruck. “Not after being next, love,” Hawle asked.

“I don’t need a flower to tell me we’re going to marry, Aldair,” She replied, kissing him on the nose as he tried to work out if she’d just proposed or not. He hadn’t quite worked it out when Gilly won the ruck and lifted the trophy aloft. “Did Gilly pay Raven for that,” Elena asked, “shielding the plants from everyone, I mean?” She looked at Hawle’s face, still clocking things in. “Probably,” she said, answering her own question.

“Yes,” Hawle said.

END
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

This was a really nice story and I'm grateful you wrote it! I can't wait to see the next one!