2022/07/19 - Altitude Sickness

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Title Text: did Lois frumble Tarot's corn husk? we may never know.

Well, same time, Tarot? Alot HAS been happening today, so it would make sense people forgetting!
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Welsh Halfwit

Re: 2022/07/19 - Altitude Sickness

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Everyone’s reasons for coming
are told us as a plot point;
it’s only when Lois talks
we know it’s out of joint.
I hope the pilot’s OK
or they’re all gonna die;
even Craig and Draig
as they can no longer fly.
And, when speaking of which,
there is something that’s odd.
We see everyone else here
but where is our naughty young Tod?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The right bait for the right sucker ... I thought Tarot's logic was impac ... impek ... impec ... pretty smores ... smurf ... smoosh ... yeaah. :| :oops: :roll:

um ... bleah.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well, this ain’t a good predicament. :shock:
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Isn't a mask supposed to ...or is it a scotch and soda?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Is it possible that the pilot who called Keene a terrorist MEANT it and was attempting to subdue him and everybody else and take them somewhere where they would all be imprisoned. It is VERY possible for the captain to depressurize the cabin of the plane in order to knock everybody else out. That is exactly what the pilot of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 did. According to the report, the captain depressurized the cabin which caused asphyxiation to all of the passengers leading to their deaths. He then used his own oxygen mask and crashed the plane killing everybody in a murder-suicide.

I think the pilot here might be doing something less extreme. Just depressurizing the cabin to knock everybody else and then landing and meeting with somebody to lock them all up. The captain in the cockpit would have his own mask.
PhycoKrusk

Post by PhycoKrusk »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:31 pm Is it possible that the pilot who called Keene a terrorist MEANT it and was attempting to subdue him and everybody else and take them somewhere where they would all be imprisoned. It is VERY possible for the captain to depressurize the cabin of the plane in order to knock everybody else out. That is exactly what the pilot of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 did. According to the report, the captain depressurized the cabin which caused asphyxiation to all of the passengers leading to their deaths. He then used his own oxygen mask and crashed the plane killing everybody in a murder-suicide.

I think the pilot here might be doing something less extreme. Just depressurizing the cabin to knock everybody else and then landing and meeting with somebody to lock them all up. The captain in the cockpit would have his own mask.
There are two major reasons why this is unlikely. The first is that Keene owns the plane, and if the pilot subdues them and deviated from the flight plan for any reason other than an actual emergency, that's hijacking, which would make the pilot a terrorist.

The second is that deviating from the flight plan for anything other than an actual emergency would almost certainly constitute a breach of contract, which will immediately involve lawyers.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I don't think it's oxygen problems. If it were, it would be all of them passing out, not just Tarot.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

Hypoxia is no joke. Multiple planes (including passenger jets) have crashed with no survivors as a result of loss of cabin pressure. If that's what's happening, it's legitimately a very dangerous situation.

It makes it hard to recognise there's a problem to begin with, then makes it hard to remember the solution.

Oxygen masks should be dropping from the ceiling, but the oxygen generators only last about ten minutes. They aren't fed from cylinders like the pilots' masks. They're meant to keep the passengers breathing until the plane descends to a safe altitude.

All that assumes it's a pressure problem and they haven't just entered a demonic gaesa field making them forget, like how no-one in the city noticed the Kaiju badger.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I don't think it's a pressure problem. Lois and Marion don't seem affected at all.

Where's Draig?
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Right now it only shows Tarot passing out but everybody else could be about to pass out also.

I'm sure that Draig is around on the plane somewhere.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

That's indeed a real problem, everyone forgetting what they're doing in the plane because of the altitude... :? Great Kitsune is maybe doing something stupid, but there weren't other choices... Eheh, Tarot is surely meaning Karishad, the best fox. :D Now I tell you all why you're there together: to be back as humans, don't you? :P Oh, poor Tarot is probably dizzy. :|
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Cute moment between Craig and Tarot.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
TheJestor

Post by TheJestor »

NHWestoN wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:07 pm Isn't a mask supposed to ...or is it a scotch and soda?
If cabin pressure drops then they drop, and they don't provide a constant flow of oxygen, instead it provides mix of chemicals that mimics fresh oxygen, while the masks carry about 20 minutes of oxygen, which is supposed to provide enough time for the pilot to lower altitude.. if they didn't drop, then it could be the oxygen is being replaced with another gas so as to keep pressure from dropping, but just slow enough to make it not noticeable till it's a bit too late.
Frank

Post by Frank »

That's how Tarot convinced them, but why does she want them along?
NHWestoN wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:07 pm Isn't a mask supposed to ...or is it a scotch and soda?
Only in the case of "sudden" decompression. This one seems more gradual
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Which leads credence to the theory that I have that the pilot might be doing this on purpose.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, that was informative! Thanks, chums.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

TheJestor wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:23 pm
If cabin pressure drops then they drop, and they don't provide a constant flow of oxygen, instead it provides mix of chemicals that mimics fresh oxygen, while the masks carry about 20 minutes of oxygen, which is supposed to provide enough time for the pilot to lower altitude.. if they didn't drop, then it could be the oxygen is being replaced with another gas so as to keep pressure from dropping, but just slow enough to make it not noticeable till it's a bit too late.
If they only mimicked oxygen, passengers would still pass out. Cabin masks are fed by oxygen generators, small canisters full of chemicals that produce oxygen when they mix (and get incredibly hot as a result).

Pilot masks are fed from oxygen cylinders. These have a minimum of one hour's worth of oxygen.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That would be because the pilot needed more oxygen than the passengers who only get 20 minutes worth of oxygen in their masks right?
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:33 am That would be because the pilot needed more oxygen than the passengers who only get 20 minutes worth of oxygen in their masks right?
The passengers passing out is less dangerous than the pilots passing out. So the pilots get dedicated oxygen bottles that last longer, to ensure they have as much as needed to return the aircraft yo a safe altitude.

Even after the passengers pass out, it still takes a while before you get unrecoverable brain damage. Ensuring the pilots can breathe is worth it.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I understand that which is why I asked. Still I hope that something like that doesn't happen to any plane that I am on though...