2019/10/07 - Pull The Wolf Over Your Eyes

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/10/07 - Pull The Wolf Over Your Eyes

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/10/07 - Pull The Wolf Over Your Eyes]
Title Text: the poncho has pockets, I guess

Lois, quit flirting with the wolf while your squirrel boyfriend is there. It's kinda rude.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Gbr23

Re: 2019/10/07 - Pull The Wolf Over Your Eyes

Post by Gbr23 »

It's super effective!
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Lockely

Post by Lockely »

Ah, so it looks like the temple/treasure is definitely gone! Well, there goes one avenue for investigation.
A Curious Coin Conundrum, my little fanfic in the HP Universe.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

That was not the response I expected from Lois, and it looks like she cut class.

Nothing Poncho says seems to contradict what we know about Thomas. Wonder if Lois is flirting (sorta) to get Poncho to hrlp.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Okay so this establishes a few things I guess. One school was not over yet? Two, they are spying on him. I guess they reached out to all the wolves to keep an eye out for them. The wolves are the Milton's spies now. Good to know. Apparently, there is a pocket in that poncho to hold his phone.

But that look in the third panel is SO condescending.

Last time a human complemented with a wolf at the zoo it did not end well.

Let's see if Poncho is going to fall for the oldest trick in the book.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

The blush Poncho has is adorable
But it's made the squirrel squeal,
In this new game of push and pull,
They feel like a third wheel.

Marion, learn to relax a bit,
I'm sure you're going to be fine,
Lois's words don't mean a whit,
But Poncho's brain's gone offline.

Looks like the ferrets are keeping tabs
On where Marion comes and goes,
I hope this doesn't come to jabs,
What would happen? Nobody knows.

As for where Thomas is,
I'm sure we'll learn in a sec,
For now, stay out of trouble, you two,
You've used all the cards in your deck.

Just because that's surely so,
That doesn't mean we're at an end,
I'm sure we'll get answers eventually,
But for now, we're at a bend.
Last edited by LunarFox on Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote: Let's see if Poncho is going to fall for the oldest trick in the book.
Given what happened with Gale? He will.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Not fair. How are we supposed to not ship them after something like that?
dr_eirik wrote:Wonder if Lois is flirting (sorta) to get Poncho to help.
Almost certainly.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Champion Wallace wrote:Not fair. How are we supposed to not ship them after something like that?
dr_eirik wrote:Wonder if Lois is flirting (sorta) to get Poncho to help.
Almost certainly.
She is, however, also telling the truth.

What? She’s telling the truth, our kid,
even as she butters him up.
But don’t worry your little head;
She doesn’t have eyes for this pup.
He is the tallest one she’s seen;
and add to that his mighty frame;
so be glad she loves her Squirrel
and doesn’t think Wolves are her game.
At least he’s being patient here,
talking calmly with the new pair.
It seems that he’s learnt the best truth;
anger doesn’t get people to share.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

This isn't exactly out of context for Poncho. Then there is the obvious. I wonder if Lois is just trying something or is it that obvious that Poncho is desperate for female attention.

Poor Marion though. He's like "Hey! I'm adorable too."

I love how "pack of wolves" automatically means confession. What did they do, waterboarding, threaten to chase him through the woods, tie one of his legs to a polygraph? No offense but none of them exactly strike me as expert interrogators and most of them still don't have a grasp of human behavior to know if someone is lying or not. That is even if they knew to ask the right questions like "Did you smuggle some of the coins out with you? Did you take any of the treasure home? Do you still have the treasure? Actually technically he doesn't have it because Steward has it now. Thomas isn't exactly "bright" by any standard but he's has to be a pretty good liar by now considering his past business dealings.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:This isn't exactly out of context for Poncho. Then there is the obvious. I wonder if Lois is just trying something or is it that obvious that Poncho is desperate for female attention.

I love how "pack of wolves" automatically means confession. What did they do, waterboarding, threaten to chase him through the woods, tie one of his legs to a polygraph? No offense but none of them exactly strike me as expert interrogators and most of them still don't have a grasp of human behavior to know if someone is lying or not. That is even if they knew to ask the right questions like "Did you smuggle some of the coins out with you? Did you take any of the treasure home? Do you still have the treasure? Actually technically he doesn't have it because Steward has it now.
I dont think hes desperately seeking female attention. He was cuddled up with one of the zoo wolves last we saw him. He really just looks almost bored.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

This scene reminds me of this. https://youtu.be/JC3TiGmIwdY?t=101
dr_eirik wrote:I dont think hes desperately seeking female attention. He was cuddled up with one of the zoo wolves last we saw him. He really just looks almost bored.
I guess we'll see what happens. But for the time being there are a few ways Poncho's reaction to Lois can be interpreted:
One, he remembers what happened too Miles when a female human got too close and he's nervous about that.
Two, he's not used to being complimented by a female and is easily flustered by it.
Three, he's nervous because of what happened with Gale.
Four, he's nervous because the zoo wolf could be watching this interaction and he doesn't want her to think poorly of him.
Five, he is generally not used to be complemented by humans. Considering, aside from the camping, he's always been in Jack's shadow its not surprising he's not used to being in the spotlight or being seen as the rugged wolf he is.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

I don't think she's flirting, just acting like someone would if they saw a cute pet. He's a Wolf in a poncho, it would certainly be cute in real life.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Oh dear this ship is happening now. :lol:
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Elwood Blutarsky wrote:I don't think she's flirting, just acting like someone would if they saw a cute pet. He's a Wolf in a poncho, it would certainly be cute in real life.
I imagine this is the case. Also as has already been pointed out, could be flattery.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

She totally wants to pet him.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

You’d think that the high school would let them out earlier on the weekend before the school’s finals week. I’m pretty sure my school let us out at 1PM or so during senior year...

Anyway, yeah, Lois could very well be smooth-talking Poncho into letting them talk with Thomas. Although, Poncho probably isn’t there to stop them, but just to check in since they aren’t at school. He seems fine with letting them talk to Thomas, but doesn’t think that they’ll get anything out of him. She could try to recruit him as some extra muscle to get the camel to spill the beans:

Lois: You work here, right? I bet all the wolf ladies fawn over you at your exhibit...
Poncho: Err- uh, yeah actually they do, kind of.
Lois: Wouldn’t you want to be able to tell them about how you helped unravel a big mystery and became a hero?
Poncho: That’d be nice, but like I said, Thomas is a dead end.
Lois: You sure? Hearing about a newly squirrelified human could get him to open up, and we could really use someone to play bad cop- well, technically bad wolf, to lend some extra bite to our bark.
[Poncho looks over toward the Wolf Exhibit, where he sees the wolf ladies relaxing in the summer sun.]
Poncho: [Still looking away from them, he says] Your puns are terrible, but I’m in.
[Behind his back, Lois gives the thumbs up to Marion, who pumps his fist in a “Yes!” gesture.]
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, that approach worked for Gale - please don't strangle Poncho.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I do wonder (if is this not a elaborate rouse) how Lois reacted to Miles or the cubs the first time.

Lois: Oh my gosh. You are so cute in your tie. You look so professional. Like a real teacher.
Miles: Thank you but I am your teacher. Can you please sit down.

Lois: Wow you three are cuddly with your little shirts and backpacks. Are you lost or something? I will be happy to take you back to your parents or your pack.
Rockstar: Um, we're students here. Just like you.
Lois: Really? That is so precious. Do you need me to show you around?
Rockstar: I think we can handle it. We are wild animals built to survive the harshest wilderness.
North Star: I'll take you up on that offer.
Rockstar: Dude?
anhedral

Post by anhedral »

Whatever Louis' true intentions, I think this is the first time we've seen a human flirting with a pet (well OK, a wolf in this case) in the HP! world. Looks like Louis might have her own interpretation as to the limits of the ECP.

Also: poor Marion. Just when he thought his life couldn't get any worse, suddenly he's getting bossed around by a ferret den-mother, and then his girlfriend floors him with a remark like this. Oh, man.

Trust Rick to keep finding new ways to keep us all off balance! No wonder Poncho's speechless.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

So now we have an animal flirting with an animal. What's next? :lol:
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Elwood Blutarsky wrote:I don't think she's flirting, just acting like someone would if they saw a cute pet. He's a Wolf in a poncho, it would certainly be cute in real life.
It's either that or she wants to smooth talk to get more information out of him.
Lois seems to be very pragmatic to me. She also had some gloves when she catched Marion, so she was prepared. I could imagine Stuart would turn her next to an animal or trying to get rid of her or just trying something else to throw her off, because she could be the closest one to figure out what happened.
But I don't think it's really flirting.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

Marion: If anyone here is gonna be described as "adorable", it is gonna be the squirrel.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Reminder: Marion's smart teen girlfriend is still a teen.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Yet again, she speaks the truth.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

IceKitsune wrote:Oh dear this ship is happening now. :lol:
Honestly? It's one ship I don't mind as they do look like they would make a cute couple.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Startrekfan47

Post by Startrekfan47 »

It takes at least a six pack of wolves to get anything out of a human turned camel.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:
It's either that or she wants to smooth talk to get more information out of him.
Lois seems to be very pragmatic to me. She also had some gloves when she catched Marion, so she was prepared. I could imagine Stuart would turn her next to an animal or trying to get rid of her or just trying something else to throw her off, because she could be the closest one to figure out what happened.
But I don't think it's really flirting.
Nope, this is a prelude to an interrogation... Mata Hari, call your office.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

This raises a question for me: just how much was Marion told at orientation? Poncho mentions the temple like he knows about it and Marion reacts like he's heard of it, so how big is Marion's knowledge base about the whole situation?
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

D-Rock wrote:
I imagine this is the case. Also as has already been pointed out, could be flattery.
Yeah, flattery is a better word for it. I used flirting in my first post and that's not the right one. She might be reacting honestly, but I think that she's just buttering him up. I think that the next page assuming it's not a time jump, might have her tosseling his ears.

I will admit that I was completely wrong about the phone call. I was sure that it was Keene, but either Lana called them idiots on the phone (seems a touch out of character) or Poncho just echoed Lois.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:This isn't exactly out of context for Poncho. Then there is the obvious. I wonder if Lois is just trying something or is it that obvious that Poncho is desperate for female attention.

I love how "pack of wolves" automatically means confession. What did they do, waterboarding, threaten to chase him through the woods, tie one of his legs to a polygraph? No offense but none of them exactly strike me as expert interrogators and most of them still don't have a grasp of human behavior to know if someone is lying or not. That is even if they knew to ask the right questions like "Did you smuggle some of the coins out with you? Did you take any of the treasure home? Do you still have the treasure? Actually technically he doesn't have it because Steward has it now.
I dont think hes desperately seeking female attention. He was cuddled up with one of the zoo wolves last we saw him. He really just looks almost bored.
It looked like it was likely one-sided interest. And while he isn't the desperate type in my opinion, I think Rick has been establishing that Poncho has a weakness for all ladies. I am in full support of the love triangle, though only if Lois gets transformed at some point
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Gameb18oy wrote: It looked like it was likely one-sided interest. And while he isn't the desperate type in my opinion, I think Rick has been establishing that Poncho has a weakness for all ladies. I am in full support of the love triangle, though only if Lois gets transformed at some point

That seems to fit, though I think his infatuation with Gale seemed more personal. We know that she helped him after his injury and he might have a bit of a crush on her. It could be that he has a thing for strong females, and Lois qualifies even if he doesn't know that yet.

"Adorable" is an odd word for her to use. You'd think she'd use "Handsome". Poncho is young, isn't he equivalent to about Lois and Marion and age? Maybe a couple years older?

It would be funny if she does get transformed into an animal, it's a female wolf, yet she still stays with Marion. I think Poncho would have his head explode. 8-)
Frank

Post by Frank »

Gameb18oy wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:
It looked like it was likely one-sided interest. And while he isn't the desperate type in my opinion, I think Rick has been establishing that Poncho has a weakness for all ladies. I am in full support of the love triangle, though only if Lois gets transformed at some point
Maybe he doesn't like female wolves for some reason
dr_eirik wrote: "Adorable" is an odd word for her to use. You'd think she'd use "Handsome".
I concur. I don't think she's flirting at all. This is more the reaction you'd get from a human in the real world if a wolf came out of the woods, approached a squirrel without startling it, they identified each other (probably by sniffing) and started barking/squeaking at each other, and then looked at the camera.
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm pretty sure that Lois is putting on an act in order to get Poncho to let them talk to Thomas and nothing more as because while I don't know Lois that much, it does seem like something she would do.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

My own feeling is that Lois is trying to butter up/flatter Poncho so that she and Marion can talk to Thomas. It would be interesting to see what Lois is transformed in to, if indeed she is transformed. I'm thinking something predatory, simply because it seems to fit her. Also I'd love to see squirrel Marion perched on a predator's shoulder or head.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
D-Rock wrote:
Yeah, flattery is a better word for it. I used flirting in my first post and that's not the right one. She might be reacting honestly, but I think that she's just buttering him up. I think that the next page assuming it's not a time jump, might have her tosseling his ears.
I think is
I think is a rouse because of the title of the strip. She’s pulling the wool over his eyes with flattery and feminine charm. She’s establishing a level of trust and sincerity between them. Then expects reciprocity in return in the form of information like where is Thomas.
dr_eirik wrote: I will admit that I was completely wrong about the phone call. I was sure that it was Keene, but either Lana called them idiots on the phone (seems a touch out of character) or Poncho just echoed Lois.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Lana called them idiots behind their backs. She is running the ECP now so having to deal with the wolves insanity and now a emotional teen turned very emotional squirrel can’t help her disposition.

But this does raise a very obvious question. If that phone call wasn’t about Thomas or had any mention of him then where is he? I think it’s safe to assume that he is at the zoo like Marion was told. But is he one of those camels huddled around in the herd or is he off on his own somewhere? Does Marion know his name? I’m guessing he doesn’t since he’s never once said it and two if he did he could just shout “Hey, Thomas! I need to talk to you!” So I’m guessing that after Lois “butters up” Poncho, he’ll be the one to call him over or lead them to him.
Nobody wrote:This raises a question for me: just how much was Marion told at orientation? Poncho mentions the temple like he knows about it and Marion reacts like he's heard of it, so how big is Marion's knowledge base about the whole situation?
That is a really good question. Marion’s reaction is odd. He didn’t question the concept of “cursed treasure” or that something like that could’ve existed. He immediately thought that Thomas lied about being cursed by the treasure but we know that is what happened. The Milton’s know that’s what happened. But would they tell Marion about it?
The other thing is that Marion’s comment “maybe he lied about that” can be taken two ways. One being the “treasure cursed him” the other being “the treasures gone now.” The later makes more sense because Keene knew about the treasure’s curse. But this doesn’t make sense at the same time. Marion’s reaction implies that he knew about the treasure but at the same time didn’t know the treasure cursed Thomas. So the former seems more logical because the entire reason they’re there is to find out how Thomas became a camel, well there you go.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

fenrirblack wrote:Okay so this establishes a few things I guess. One school was not over yet? Two, they are spying on him. I guess they reached out to all the wolves to keep an eye out for them. The wolves are the Milton's spies now. Good to know. Apparently, there is a pocket in that poncho to hold his phone.

But that look in the third panel is SO condescending.

Last time a human complemented with a wolf at the zoo it did not end well.

Let's see if Poncho is going to fall for the oldest trick in the book.
Yeah, it is a condescending look. Probably why Marion tried to get Lois to talk to Poncho. I doubt the situation with Miles will be repeated, Lois seems to have more sense that that woman, and Poncho is on the clock working for the Miltons so he's probably been cleared with the authorities.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

That's the truth, Marion, there's nothing else to know from that fact... This research is still leading to nowhere. :| So, you can easily leave the school before the ending time there? :P Woah, Poncho, this time you made even an human fall in love for you. :D But you, Lois, how can you fall in love with an animal? :? Yeah, it's handy have a pocket inside the poncho. ;)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Nobody wrote:This raises a question for me: just how much was Marion told at orientation? Poncho mentions the temple like he knows about it and Marion reacts like he's heard of it, so how big is Marion's knowledge base about the whole situation?

It is interesting how much formerly close-held information (like Joel/King's transformation story) is not out in the public.....
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Well, the information that King was human is at least an open secret, but we don't know if anyone beyond a very small group know who he was.