Would you transform into an animal?

Discuss the comic here

Would you Transform into an animal?

Yes, I'll gamble on chance.
15%
Yes, But only if I got to choose what animal I became.
43%
Maybe, if I got more information.
24%
NO, you're crazy!
17%

Total votes: 86

fenrirblack

Would you transform into an animal?

Post by fenrirblack »

With subject of human-animal transformation being discussed lately, I want to ask who among us are willing to go through with the transformation knowing that you can't change back. Since this the Housepets forum, this would be in the context of the comic so you would end up being in the same situation as Marion or King. You would have access to the ECP but deal with any consequences that would come with this choice.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Re: Would you transform into an animal?

Post by Gameb18oy »

Should be obvious how furries respond
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would have to say no because I'm a bit reluctant when it comes to any sort of change and it tends to make me overly anxious and I don't think I could handle transforming into an animal while being unable to EVER change back and deal with all the emotional upheaval it would cause as I'm sure I would end up losing it.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Within the context of the comic and the coin, no. Being able to choose a species is a major prerequisite. If possible, I'd consider being a wolf or a large dog breed, since I don't want to be "half height" or shorter like most HP characters. Otherwise I'd have to get a whole new wardrobe, learn how to drive again, adapt to a totally new lifestyle, etc. Before I commit I need to make a plan for dealing with publicity and the lifelong permanence of my tf.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Nope.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Uh Weston, you wanna explain WHY you wouldn't want to be transformed into an animal in your own words instead of just putting down a one-word post? :roll:
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

long as i get to be a bobcat or an ocelot or something. non-felines are a definite no.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I think so, so long as I got to choose. I’d probably pick a cat, so that transitioning as a pet in BG would pretty easy. Or a wild cat of some sort provided I could get into the ECP.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I wouldn't mind trying, but not permanently. And totally a cat or cheetah. x3

I enjoyed the human life since it started far too much :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

In the context of HPU, I'd give it a go. Especially if I could plan for it a bit, in that I could have people I know near me in order to assure that I could retain some continuity. Like I said in another thread, I'd likely want to wait a few years until there aren't people depending on me, bit I'd do it.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Uh Weston, you wanna explain WHY you wouldn't want to be transformed into an animal in your own words instead of just putting down a one-word post? :roll:
`cause I'm doing a lousy enough job of being human and I've been at it over four score years and ten. ;)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

A permanent change that ends up having an upheaval of life? No, thanks. Besides, it's quite the risk being moved to a random part of the food chain.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Especially if the place that you are in has a lot of predatory animals around who are without prey and as a result will hunt ANY small animal with meat that they can eat.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

In the Housepets! universe that's surely something to enjoy. :D So, it's fine the permanent way, but I would like to choose to be a domestic cat. ;)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Especially if the place that you are in has a lot of predatory animals around who are without prey and as a result will hunt ANY small animal with meat that they can eat.
See, this is why I'd be more inclined in the HP setting if I could go though that transformation in a controlled environment with at least one person with me who knows what's going to happen and can be ready for it. That way, if I was suddenly a purely prey animal, such as Marion, then I could still be safely transported home.

Doing this out in the middle of no where with no support? I'd need a pretty good reason to do that voluntarily.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:In the context of HPU, I'd give it a go. Especially if I could plan for it a bit, in that I could have people I know near me in order to assure that I could retain some continuity. Like I said in another thread, I'd likely want to wait a few years until there aren't people depending on me, bit I'd do it.
I set the poll so the answers can be changed. If anyone isn't ready now then you can change it to YES later when you are or think of the Yes's as also "Yes, one day I will but not now."
dr_eirik wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Especially if the place that you are in has a lot of predatory animals around who are without prey and as a result will hunt ANY small animal with meat that they can eat.
See, this is why I'd be more inclined in the HP setting if I could go though that transformation in a controlled environment with at least one person with me who knows what's going to happen and can be ready for it. That way, if I was suddenly a purely prey animal, such as Marion, then I could still be safely transported home.

Doing this out in the middle of no where with no support? I'd need a pretty good reason to do that voluntarily.
I agree that it would be foolish to have it happen randomly and without anyone knowing. Marion was changed in his bedroom and still had misfortunes. There would need to be a clinic or something for this which would answer Miles's question.
Therolyn

Post by Therolyn »

I would be sorely tempted at least that is for certain. Taking into account the context, and of myself. I would be divided in my feelings.

On the paw, it would be quite an interesting experience (if it mostly turned out well) to be something different with different capabilities, and there could be a lot of fun in it, maybe even cathartic in the beginning.

But on the hand, It would be severely disrupting to life as I knew it and its easy it could easily turn into regret if I had made the decision hastily. And what if one ended up something particularly challenged or something they did not like? And of course the whole predator/prey cycle still exists. Taking the whole thing into account, you likely would not be dumped in the middle of nowhere to fend for yourself, but the cycle would be an ever-present issue regardless. No matter where about you end up on it. And that's not even taking the position of non-human animals among civilization and the universe into account...

All of the disruption and the likely decrease in life expectancy it would cause is a big turn off for me, but knowing i'd have at least some basic support and the opportunity to maybe like what am more maybe be enough to make the decision in the end to do so.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

fenrirblack wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:In the context of HPU, I'd give it a go. Especially if I could plan for it a bit, in that I could have people I know near me in order to assure that I could retain some continuity. Like I said in another thread, I'd likely want to wait a few years until there aren't people depending on me, bit I'd do it.
I set the poll so the answers can be changed. If anyone isn't ready now then you can change it to YES later when you are or think of the Yes's as also "Yes, one day I will but not now."
dr_eirik wrote:

I agree that it would be foolish to have it happen randomly and without anyone knowing. Marion was changed in his bedroom and still had misfortunes. There would need to be a clinic or something for this which would answer Miles's question.
I like the poll but I wouldn't call anyone crazy … that said, the answer is still "Nope".
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Not per se... BUT if you told me we can take to this timeline but where EVERYONE is animal people, I'll hop on that one
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

also, even if you get a support system with an unlucky prey animal, who's to say that a random eagle or snake wouldn't make a dive for you? Also, Karishad himself was really only stopped by Jess' rules of the house.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

I'll politely decline. It's humorous to think about but mankind didn't spend 10,000 climbing to the top of the food chain only to drop back down.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

In the context of the comics, no thanks. I like my humanity as-is. The only way I’d like to transform into a squirrel is if I get to transform into my fursona; human size and proportions, head of hair and all that intact.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Lockely

Post by Lockely »

In the context of the comic universe, sure, as long as I had a choice as to what! But no one in the comic has had that choice as of yet, it's been entirely random, and if that were the case I wouldn't want to take the gamble.
A Curious Coin Conundrum, my little fanfic in the HP Universe.
JageshemashFTW

Post by JageshemashFTW »

Tempting. I’ll say that much.
Welcome to HexCom: viewtopic.php?t=5602
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Elwood Blutarsky wrote:I'll politely decline. It's humorous to think about but mankind didn't spend 10,000 climbing to the top of the food chain only to drop back down.
One could say you would have the best of both worlds and be even higher on the food chain but that still depends on which animal you become.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Gbr23 wrote:Not per se... BUT if you told me we can take to this timeline but where EVERYONE is animal people, I'll hop on that one
I think that time was called "Mesozoic". Not sure. ;)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:
Elwood Blutarsky wrote:I'll politely decline. It's humorous to think about but mankind didn't spend 10,000 climbing to the top of the food chain only to drop back down.
One could say you would have the best of both worlds and be even higher on the food chain but that still depends on which animal you become.
I'm not sure you'd be higher on the food chain no matter what you became. Gale and Miles are the two highest non-humans in the cast and only a few apex predators on Earth could surpass them, but if they started taking humans they'd be taken down pretty fast. One on one, humans might not be at the top of the heap, but as a group we're a lot more powerful.

Given what you see in HP, there is no "perfect" animal. You could become a polar bear (the largest land predator) and still be subject to the whims of human society even if you tried to integrate into society. It might be easier to be something that isn't likely to be taken randomly, like Marion, but humans are still on top.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
I'm not sure you'd be higher on the food chain no matter what you became. Gale and Miles are the two highest non-humans in the cast and only a few apex predators on Earth could surpass them, but if they started taking humans they'd be taken down pretty fast. One on one, humans might not be at the top of the heap, but as a group we're a lot more powerful.

Suppose this is off topic … wonder what the pets (especially the smaller ones and ferals) would be if they could transform into humans. Jessica, for example, or Tiger...

Given what you see in HP, there is no "perfect" animal. You could become a polar bear (the largest land predator) and still be subject to the whims of human society even if you tried to integrate into society. It might be easier to be something that isn't likely to be taken randomly, like Marion, but humans are still on top.
OdedZeituni98

Post by OdedZeituni98 »

I'll rather stay human
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
That can be said about any species. Strength in numbers. A pack of wolves against a pack of humans or a pack of humans against another pack of humans. It all comes down to the little advantages you can get to overwhelm your opponents. I would rather be a species that could wield a weapon and BE a weapon if I had to be. If that was the case then that would make them top of the food chain.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Aren't you already a weapon already in your current state as the wolf son of Loki who I'm sure has magical powers and someone the gods feared? ;)
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Haha, no, I'd not opt to transform into a non-human, not in this dimension, at least during the period depicted by the comic thus far.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Dissension wrote:Haha, no, I'd not opt to transform into a non-human, not in this dimension, at least during the period depicted by the comic thus far.
I guess we’ll bring this poll out again in a year or some other time to see if we have anyone who changes their minds as the comic progresses. This could be interesting. I’ll make a note.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't think that we will have a lot of people changing their minds on this as much as we will have some new forum members that post in here (hopefully!) that would be for it.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I'm not expecting a lot of people to change their minds but maybe if Keene starts handing out sacks of money to ECP members then maybe that will help. Maybe as the comic unfolds and life happens the prospect will become more tempting.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

You know, a lot of people are saying no, and I said yes because I assumed it was understood it was in the housepets universe. I mean, without the human intelligence, I don't think whatever superhuman abilities I get from the transformation would balance out
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Even then and I knew it was the Housepets! universe and figured that everybody else had known it to, I still need to say no because like Soerix pointed out in another thread, humans that get transformed into animals get their lifespans shortened significantly.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Even then and I knew it was the Housepets! universe and figured that everybody else had known it to, I still need to say no because like Soerix pointed out in another thread, humans that get transformed into animals get their lifespans shortened significantly.
There has never been any confirmation that is the case. Transformation tropes dictate that the lifespan will stay the same even after transformation especially if magic and curses are involved. I can't say for sure about Marion or King because of obvious reasons but Steward and Thomas will probably live longer than their natural counterparts. There is no telling what Rick will decide if he decided that the characters did age properly. You have to remember that the original age is taken into account and it complicates things.
Kanexan

Post by Kanexan »

I would definitely consider it if it was anthropomorphic or Housepets-style animalhood. Regular animals, definitely not.
Dallas is my spirit animal.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't want to speak for Loki's wolf son but I think when the topic was made, he meant HP! universe animals. x3