Arcs you are surprised haven't happened yet

Discuss the comic here
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Arcs you are surprised haven't happened yet

Post by Gameb18oy »

So figured this be a good topic after we get some of the obvious ones out of the way (examples, zoo arcs that show more than the kangaroos, King getting a job, an arc that at least suggests Res could move out of Canada and be a more frequent character, trip to that land that cats are in charge of apparently, time travel to the future since we've already gone to the past, etc.)

Gonna ask people don't post if you feel Rick needs to post an arc for some reason. If that's the case, he probably will and that will make what's discussed redundant. I'd like to see what people think is surprising isn't explored more, think could easily help improve a character or an element of the world, or just could be fun in the setting.
Saturn381

Re: Arcs you are surprised haven't happened yet

Post by Saturn381 »

Isn't this thread topic the same as your Arcs that would never happen thread?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Saturn381 wrote:Isn't this thread topic the same as your Arcs that would never happen thread?
These are meant to be ones that have some stuff already supporting the idea of showing up. For example, there is an image of Max dressed up in the K9 uniform I think, and people have thought it be neat to have a cat join the force. It be easy to get a few strips from an idea like that, so it's surprising it hasn't happened yet
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

but that's what we use that thread for most of the time already...
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Don't mean to be unsupportive, Gamer, but Saturn and Buster do have a point. We actually have two arcs that seem to speak to your theme. In addition, I'm not overly persuaded that Rick takes all suggestions raised as an obligation to adopt the story. The example you give is a pretty good one - over the years, the idea of expanding the K9 corps to include females (Sasha, Daisy, etc.) or cats (Maxwell, Marvin, etc) has been raised fairly often but Rick has not hopped on. Yet.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Eh, well guess this topic will just eventually fade away if its use is kinda redundant. No harm putting it up though
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If the mods feel that it is a topic that can easily be discussed in the "Arcs that would never happen thread", I'm sure that they will close this one though I can see a bit of a distinction in that ideas in this thread MIGHT happen instead of NEVER EVER happening.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Gameb18oy wrote:Eh, well guess this topic will just eventually fade away if its use is kinda redundant. No harm putting it up though

No, there's no harm - topics survive if folks want them to go on or they may redefine themselves. Sometimes, too, a topic will languish for even some years, then somebody brings it back, and newer members grab and run with it. Be not dismayed, eh? ;)
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

The Cosmic Nerds storyline/King's surprising popularity among fans kinda overtook events, but I would have expected some more of the aforementioned zoo-centric arcs. I'd have loved seeing even more supporting cast and adventures there. I dunno that I'm surprised it hasn't happened, per se, it's just a direction we've not explored yet.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Dissension wrote:The Cosmic Nerds storyline/King's surprising popularity among fans kinda overtook events, but I would have expected some more of the aforementioned zoo-centric arcs. I'd have loved seeing even more supporting cast and adventures there. I dunno that I'm surprised it hasn't happened, per se, it's just a direction we've not explored yet.
I also really enjoy watching Rick spin out an unexpected arc with some of the secondary or tertiary players, long absent from the stage (ex. Tiger and Marvin or Cory and Trinket) or in a logical but unpredicted pairing (Rex and Yeltsin or Sasha and Daisy). In the current Marion saga, my favorite part (so far) was seeing Falstaff and Truck doing their shtick.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm hoping that we get to see more B characters around in the story and reacting to Marion's situation and just palling around with him and learning more about what actually happened.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

NHWestoN wrote:
Dissension wrote:The Cosmic Nerds storyline/King's surprising popularity among fans kinda overtook events, but I would have expected some more of the aforementioned zoo-centric arcs. I'd have loved seeing even more supporting cast and adventures there. I dunno that I'm surprised it hasn't happened, per se, it's just a direction we've not explored yet.
I also really enjoy watching Rick spin out an unexpected arc with some of the secondary or tertiary players, long absent from the stage (ex. Tiger and Marvin or Cory and Trinket) or in a logical but unpredicted pairing (Rex and Yeltsin or Sasha and Daisy). In the current Marion saga, my favorite part (so far) was seeing Falstaff and Truck doing their shtick.
Don't feel like Falstaff and Truck have been long absent, but I get where you're coming from. I had fun seeing that Terrance had a cameo in this current arc merely because it wasn't clear if he still existed before that point. I kinda just would like to know how the zoo works in the housepets universe as at times it feels like the animals are considered workers or something, what with the kangaroos being able to leave to be guides in Australia. It be kinda hilarious if that fact was confirmed and made Keene retroactively an idiot as he wasn't forced to stay in his section once people left the zoo and their shift basically ended
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If that does turn out to be the case then Keene can feel even more dumb than he does when his plans inevitably blow up in his face. :mrgreen:
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I'm surprised we haven't seen more Earl and Jill Sandwich arcs. We need to see them talking more about the crazy stuff going on in Peanut and Grape's lives. Also ~ Earl giving Peanut some cheesy dating advice while Jill gives Grape some tips on how to act more feminine towards Maxwell. Aww.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am so down for Grape trying (but most likely failing) to be more feminine and ladylike towards Max. XD
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

GameCobra wrote:I'm surprised we haven't seen more Earl and Jill Sandwich arcs. We need to see them talking more about the crazy stuff going on in Peanut and Grape's lives. Also ~ Earl giving Peanut some cheesy dating advice while Jill gives Grape some tips on how to act more feminine towards Maxwell. Aww.
Agreed. You're kinda turning back towards the earlier years of the comic when there was a bit more emphasis on the "family" dynamics like the challenges humans face dealing with sentient pets, sentient animals as employees (ex. Itzuki), and pets trying to figure their way through the mysteries of human society. I wouldn't mind a few more of those older arcs that were both funny and often touching.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The reason that there aren't a lot of arcs featuring a lot of scenes with the adults is that Rick had problems drawing faces but it looks like he is over it now so maybe...
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:The reason that there aren't a lot of arcs featuring a lot of scenes with the adults is that Rick had problems drawing faces but it looks like he is over it now so maybe...
We'll see - we have had a fair number of human walk-one in this saga.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Which is why I said that possibly Rick not including humans within the comic might change since he apparently is better at it now.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

NHWeston was agreeing with you.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Oh then he was? OK. That makes sense. As we established, I'm kind of dumb so it takes a while for me to get things. :lol:
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Oh then he was? OK. That makes sense. As we established, I'm kind of dumb so it takes a while for me to get things. :lol:
Don't call yourself dumb Dayzee, you're not dumb
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You don't have to try to make me feel better. I accepted it a long time ago.

As for another arc that I was surprised didn't happen, follow-up to how the Good Ol' Dogs Club is being run with Fido kicked out.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I've often wondered why Rick has never done a sports theme. Say a Dog vs Cats baseball game. Maybe the idea doesn't interest him but there are a lot of comic possibilities there - identity confusions, rules mix-ups, off-the-wall plays, and … of course … ending with a ball crashing through Keene Milton's bedroom window, bonking him on the head.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Then Keene goes and confiscates the ball to teach those "snot-nosed brats" a lesson.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Then Keene goes and confiscates the ball to teach those "snot-nosed brats" a lesson.
"Yeah … and get off my lawn, too, yah punks!"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Then I would have Simon and Duke point out that he is acting like he's old when he is only a few years older than they are. XD
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Just to annoy Bino, Maxwell decides to start a "Good Ol'Cats Club". It gets strange.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Especially when a lot of dogs defect to that one.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Maxwell can't be as obnoxious as Bino is.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Maxwell can't be as obnoxious as Bino is.
He may've been at one point, but he's improved himself and developed qite a bit. I honestly think Maxie would now welcome the dogs with open arms, if only to annoy Bino. I don't know if Bino would care.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't think there was any point in his life in the past that he was ever as bad as Bino. Bino always comes off as someone who wants things his way and is deluded into thinking he is bigger than he really is.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Besides, Maxwell probably looks at Marvin and thinks "If that's all the thanks he get for being supportive of Tiger, think of how much more fun I'm having messin' with Bino?! Wonder if Truck still has Bino's bouncey ball?" ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Deep down Maxwell really does care about Bino in some way so I doubt he would do anything REALLY drive him insane.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Deep down Maxwell really does care about Bino in some way so I doubt he would do anything REALLY drive him insane.
I think you’re right, Dayzee.

I’m surprised we haven’t seen more arcs starring Joey, Squeak Dallas, and Lester.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

trekkie wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Deep down Maxwell really does care about Bino in some way so I doubt he would do anything REALLY drive him insane.
I think you’re right, Dayzee.

I’m surprised we haven’t seen more arcs starring Joey, Squeak Dallas, and Lester.
When Squeak comes down with a cold, the other geeks try to find a fourth to join them. After getting shot down by several candidates, Peanut agrees to take Squeak's place. Unexpectedly, Grape tags along. It gets a little crazy.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Not to mention I would imagine with how logical Grape is about everything she would get on the nerds nerves really quickly and throw the two of them out.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Or they would get on her nerves and she'd leave. Alternatively she could turn out to be a darn good RPG player.

I'm surprised we haven't had an arc of Peanut and Maxwell hanging out together, they seem to be pretty good pals.

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

trekkie wrote:Or they would get on her nerves and she'd leave. Alternatively she could turn out to be a darn good RPG player.

I'm surprised we haven't had an arc of Peanut and Maxwell hanging out together, they seem to be pretty good pals.
Grape turns out to be a terrific player resulting in Dallas experiencing a major crush on her (Dallas replaces Fox as the comic's resident heart-broken romantic).

Maxwell, getting sentimental as Christmas approaches, resolves for once to get something nice for Bino no matter what. He enlists Peanut to help him find a gift. They go through a number of old pals - King, Bailey, Rex, Fox, Sasha, Yeltsin, Tiger, Marvin, Miles, Natalie, Skip, Jessica, Boris, Daisy - who prove to be very creative but not exactly in the spirit of the season. At the end, however, Max and Peanut persuade Fido and Joey to pay Bino a yuletide visit and attempt a reconciliation ………. you're choice how it resolves. :D :x :| :lol:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Since it would be an arc that was done for Christmas, I'm hoping that Bino would at least very briefly experience a change of heart but unfortunately I am a bit skeptical on that.