2019/08/26 - Tale Of Tails

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
FireworkFox

Re: 2019/08/26 - Tale Of Tails

Post by FireworkFox »

If Kari is a kitsune, that explains why reality bends to his will.
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Kari is a reality-bender just because he is Kari and nothing else.

Also, we aren't supposed to speculate since the Kari in the comic is based on a real life person that Rick has a relationship with.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Kari is a reality-bender just because he is Kari and nothing else.

Also, we aren't supposed to speculate since the Kari in the comic is based on a real life person that Rick has a relationship with.
I think comments and speculations are okay in the context of a comic appearance, but using Kari as a character in a fan-fic is strongly discouraged for the reasons you cite, Amazz.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I just avoid speculating about him also because I don't wanna get kicked off the forum again. ;_;
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Kari is a reality-bender just because he is Kari and nothing else.

Okay, sorry!
please don't ban me
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
Argent

Post by Argent »

Also, all foxes are kitsune. Kitsune just means fox.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I thought that a kitsune was only a certain fox that had 9-tails?
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Nope :D
Kitsune is just the normal word for fox in Japanese, but even if we're talking about the supernatural version, they grow new tails (up to 9) with each new tail showing how much power they have
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Argent wrote:Also, all foxes are kitsune. Kitsune just means fox.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I thought that a kitsune was only a certain fox that had 9-tails?
You're both right. In Japanese "kitsune" is their word for all foxes, but in English it specifically refers to magical, multi-tailed foxes. This isn't the first time English has commandeered another language's word and (mis)used it.
The cape comes with the promotion.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

Champion Wallace wrote:
Argent wrote:Also, all foxes are kitsune. Kitsune just means fox.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I thought that a kitsune was only a certain fox that had 9-tails?
You're both right. In Japanese "kitsune" is their word for all foxes, but in English it specifically refers to magical, multi-tailed foxes. This isn't the first time English has commandeered another language's word and (mis)used it.
And it won't be the last!

the sound of Rule Britannia plays on tinny speakers in the background
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

We just got to figure out which word that they will use and completely change its meaning of next. :D
Argent

Post by Argent »

In the myth all foxes have the potential to grow in power and gain new tails. Just because most foxes are too lazy to go to the trouble doesn't mean they're a different kind of animal... and even a single tailed fox can surprise you with magic.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Then that explains a lot about comic Kari then. :D
Champion Wallace

Argent wrote:In the myth all foxes have the potential to grow in power and gain new tails. Just because most foxes are too lazy to go to the trouble doesn't mean they're a different kind of animal... and even a single tailed fox can surprise you with magic.
What's your point? Again, that is all true in Japanese culture, but not in English speaking cultures. To an English speaker, only foxes with several tails (more often then not 9 tails) fall under the definition of a kitsune.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Which is why I thought that only the ones with multiple tails were kitsune and the others were just regular foxes.
Argent

Post by Argent »

In English-speaking cultures, there's no definition of a "kitsune" that's separate from Japanese tradition, it's so recent an import that it didn't make it into the Monster Manual, and the Monster Manual has entries for cheap plastic figurines. You're talking about a tradition that's so young that Gary Gygax didn't bother to raid it.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That would be why I had no clue that it didn't mean anything different from normal foxes then. XD
Champion Wallace

Argent wrote:In English-speaking cultures, there's no definition of a "kitsune" that's separate from Japanese tradition, it's so recent an import that it didn't make it into the Monster Manual, and the Monster Manual has entries for cheap plastic figurines. You're talking about a tradition that's so young that Gary Gygax didn't bother to raid it.
Exhibit A: Amazee Dayzee.
Exhibit B: Housepets!

There's a reason our nine-tailed buddy is named "Great Kitsune" and not "Great Fox". If you go by the dictionary definition they would be interchangeable, but that's not quite the case.

Exhibit C: Wikipedia.
Wikipedia wrote:Foxes are a common subject of Japanese folklore; in English, kitsune refers to them in this context.
For something as novel as this (as you say it's recent import), a descriptivist approach is more fitting. What better window onto the mind of the layman than Wikipedia?
Argent

Post by Argent »

I'm a Wikipedia editor. I know exactly how useful it is (or isn't) for these kinds of discussions. Small groups and even individuals can manipulate it with a moderate amount of effort.

Kitsune in English is a cultural import, like tanuki or maneki-neko. Respect it and the culture.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have heard of the word tanuki before even though I didn't know what it means thanks to Mario's tanuki suit but I never heard of a maneki-neko before. Shows you how much culture I have.
Champion Wallace

Argent wrote:I'm a Wikipedia editor. I know exactly how useful it is (or isn't) for these kinds of discussions. Small groups and even individuals can manipulate it with a moderate amount of effort.
Are you insinuating I put that in there? The line I quoted has been on that page for almost 10 years. Besides, my other points still stand.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

This conversation would be best continued in PMs, please and thank you
Zesortinge

Post by Zesortinge »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I have heard of the word tanuki before even though I didn't know what it means thanks to Mario's tanuki suit but I never heard of a maneki-neko before. Shows you how much culture I have.
I haven't heard of a maneki-neko, but I looked it up and now I feel like an idiot. I have seen tons of them.

On another note, I found out that Great Kitsune has been over 900 years old since his first appearance in the timeline. I also found out that foxes are symbols of luck in certain things. Is Karishad unknowingly manipulating luck? Is he doing it on purpose? Is he just that lucky?
I have ideas and I occasionally put them down.