Non-HPU RP: Jade Star Academy OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Buster
Game Master

Re: Non-HPU RP: Jade Star Academy OOC

Post by Buster »

probably best described as rocket/magic propelled basketball, i'm not doing the whole 'flying croquet on brooms designed by a madwoman' nonsense the world that inspired this one had.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

So... since Buster is gone, we should decide what to do next. Grim and I have both expressed interest in taking over, but I've spoken with Grim and he seems like he has a much more thought out plan than I did, and has more interest. I would be fine with Grim taking over.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Since it seems Buster is gone for the foreseeable future, I'm happy to approve of a change of GM. If there are no objections I'll give it to Grim in a day or two. If anyone else fancies trying their paw at GMing then let me know and we can have an election. If no one else wants it then it'll be Grim by default as per his and Cyber's agreement.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

DdeeStar

Post by DdeeStar »

Hey everyone~
Iiii waaaas suggested to this by someone (a member on these forums, no less!) and it does look super fun but I'm not looking to overstep my boundaries or push my welcome since I'm keenly aware I'm still kinda green. So I just wanted to get general opinion on whether the other players returning (or joining, or even reading for all I care) think I should. Last thing I want is to mess with anyone else's fun.
So with that in mind, anyone who would like to share their thoughts on the matter be they positive or negative are invited to PM me and speak openly, I'm not gonna be hurt or anything I just prefer knowing to wondering. :lol:
I know this isn't traditional or really normal, but... I want to make sure everyone is having their best time and I'd rather bug you guys here once than for the foreseeable future of this.
Thank you all for your time, and to my mystery suggester for their keen sight!
GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

Okay so let me premise by saying I think I have a few changes that I think this is going to be a pretty long post that is going to outline some of my proposed chanes that in my opinion would be for the better. First let's talk about the magic system as before in my mind I think it was far too complicated. I have yet to create a pantheon of gods yet but as this comes to me I will flesh out the world a bit more. Here I just want to lay down the combat.

Light(Creation)
Darkness (Destruction)
Water/Ice
Earth
Fire
Lightning
Metal
Wind

More may be added to the list later but these are the 8 elements I think would most fit our roleplay. Moving on I'm going to propose a partner based system where there are three kinds of magic based creatures. Unlike in the old system where only spirits could use magic, here mortals, spirits and yes indeed the few dragons that exist can use magic.

In my system it won't be a requirement persay but it will be good to have. Your elemental/familiar need not be the element that your character wields however there are pros amd cons to this.

1. Both partners wield same elements means stronger magic of said element, can combine attacks to be super strong but they are only one noted and have weakness to rival elemental.

2. Wielder uses magic from one element while spirit is another element meaning you're more versatile. Your magic as a caster isn't as strong as someone who has both but you can combine attacks to make new elements. Strength in versatility not outright brawn.

3. If a mortal has no magic powers and still makes a bond with a spirit then they take on the elemental power of the spirit.

I feel like should establish some ground rules about what a spirit is so here is what I have so far regarding these.

Spirits: Spirits in this realm come from a magical realm outside the mortal one, where they are immortal, are at their strongest because they are surrounded by so much magic, but when summoned or traveling to the material world they are no longer mortal and because this realm has far less magic in it are a bit weaker. In exchange for bonding with mortals they can draw upon their magic as a temporary battery of sorts increasing their overall life expectancy in this realm, and in exchange given the mortal a bit of their power.

I'm sure there are different cases, other pacts that can be made between spirits whereas there are more benefits than this but this is just what I can think of as a baseline.

You can choose to just play a spirit, or you can choose to be a caster/fighter however you want to be. Overall if anyone has any questions, I'd be open to answer.

Proposed character sheets:
Name:

Text Color:

Height:

Appearance:

Species:

Element(if any):

Backstory:

Other Notes:

Special Stats:
S:
P:
E:
C:
I:
A:
L:

Spirit Spreadsheet:

Name:

Element:

Backstory:

Personality:

------
UPDATE:

For all those wondering, the setting will be Medieval times, instead of the moreso the bronze age that it was set in last time.

There are Knights, Kings and Queens, dragons (exceedingly rare) and other magical mythical creatures of the land. This means that for anyone who chooses the metal element (*cough cough*) you will be far more useful in this setting than you were in the last one. All swords, plate armor, chain armor, and almost all weapons bar a few are made of steel/iron. Actually especially given magic is in this world expect for metal to be able to be enchanted and given magical properties.

I'm going to take inspiration from twokinds here and rather than separate all the subspecies of cats and dogs into species names they will all be placed into one kingdom. Cat antrhos will have their own kingdom, dog antrhos will have their own kingdoms as will humans. Lizard folk will also have their own kingdom. This is pretty streamlined and straight forward but I figured this would be a lot easier than giving every subspecies of cat and or dog kind a separate species name. Far easier to keep track of and in my opinion streamlines things a lot.

If I for whatever reason missed a species you would like to include I'm open to suggestions but for the time being those are the Four Kingdoms. A treaty was struck between the Four Kingdoms long ago and a time of peace has settled upon the land but that does not mean that times are peaceful. Many years have passed since then and now a new threat has come upon the land. Spirits are coming through the Ethereal Plane into the material plane in greater numbers. As part of this truce and in order to combat the rise of the many spirits crossing over into the material realm, a school was made with the intention of teaching those how to handle their Familiars, whether bonded or unbonded.

You have been invited to the Velorian Academy, one of the best schools throughout the land for teaching those who wish to learn how better to control their spiritual familiars, or spirits in general.
Sunny Briggs -Golden Labrador Retriever- S3 P5 E7 C6 I3 A8 L10
Luna Briggs - Blue Russian Cat- S8 P6 E6 C6 I7 A5 L4
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

No one has objected so Imma make it official. *gives Grim the keys to the city and the mayoral sash*
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Congratulations! -confetti-
"Sleep is due to me... And I have a dream to live."

Book Log: I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Ref Ref!
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Hold on, this is nothing, absolutely nothing, like the game we all started playing. I was fine with streamlining the game mechanics, but the entire world and everything that's been established so far has been changed.

I didn't sign up for that. It's not even the same Academy. Why take over the game if you're just going to turn it into a completely different game?

Literally none of our character sheets are totally valid anymore. All of them have to be changed. David's from another universe. How does that fit in to the new rules? This even removes several of the available races, including dragons.

I wouldn't have agreed to step aside if I knew we were just going to throw the whole game away and start again. Why not just start a new game at that point?
-Champion Motto

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Ah.

Sorry, just to clarify, Grim is GM now BUT the rules still state he needs a majority vote from players to make major changes to the game setting or mechanics. If you guys don't like his plan, feel free to comment and work with him to create something that works for you all. ^^ I haven't given him carte blanche to do whatever he likes, just the permissions to edit the first post in the OOC so he can tidy things up.

His main goal was to simply JSA because he thought it seemed too complicated before. If you have suggestions on how to do that while keeping the flavour of the game the same he'd love to hear them.

Of course, any problems or issues and you're welcome to DM me or Serence too. ^^
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

Cyber, calm down. The base mechanics, the base premise is still the same, a partner based action adventure fantasy roleplay. Any and ALL characters who were already played and established will simply need to be tweaked a little and they will 100% be replaced. I did talk about streamlining the mechanics, but I 100% wanted to make the world and everything about it trimmed down and far more accessable for everyone to get involved. Before Buster started this roleplay I had discussed with you this idea anyway. This is my plan, I'm redoing it. Starting things from scratch but the base principle remains the same here. Why are you upset about this when I've had these changes posted for a day or so?
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Hmm, I agree with Cyber. If these were just mechanics changing, that would be one thing and fine, especially since the main mechanics of the roleplay did not come into affect before Buster left. However, a full SETTING overhaul, in my opinion, goes straight against what inheriting a role play is about. As Cyber said, if you were going to throw the world out, the setting, the lore, the time frame, literally the entire world, and just keeping the magic school aspect, just propose a new RP.

If you're not going to utilize the world this RP was based on, let it die and create a new one instead of mangling it into something unrecognizable.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Keeping a building's foundation after you tear it down and build another building on top of it doesn't make the building the same.

And yes, you did have this up for a while. But the parts I have a problem with are the setting and lore changes because those are what will have the biggest impact on the characters themselves and their stories. Those changes were edited in, as I can tell. Nobody gets notifications when a post has been edited, so I didn't see those changes until now.

There's a lot of things I don't like about the changes:

A) A removal of a large variety of playable race options by specifying "Cat" "Dog" "Lizard" or "Human." Buster's game had a ton of options, like bird people, ungulates, horses, dragons, nagas, gryphons, sphinxes, and a ton of other creative species based off of mythical creatures like minitaurs and harpies and sirens.
B) Making dragons a rare (In other words, non-playable) group instead of the dragons we already had, which were just one of the races.
C) Introducing humans as a native race undermines or completely removes a major theme from David's arc. His whole shtick is that he's the only one of his kind, and he can't blend in at all even though he wants to. He's shy, but sticks out like a sore thumb because he's like nothing anyone's seen.
D) No mention of gates means David doesn't have a way of getting into the universe, which means he would have to be a native. That removes literally the most important parts of his character, backstory, and arcs.
E) No longer being in Jade Star Acadamy. That's the name of the game. If someone signs up to play Jade Star Academy, then they should be set in Jade Star Academy.
-Champion Motto

GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

I agree, and will step down from this position as it has been mase clear to me that as it stands I do not want to save JSA but make.something semi unique and my own. I will step down and post my ideas in the OOC in the hopes others may like my idea too. I relent and since Cyber wants to save JSA and I want to do my own ideas I think it best he run it and I try my paw at GMing a new topic.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I will do what I can. I'll take some time this weekend to read through the lore Buster provided, and see what I can do to streamline things while keeping it so that nobody needs to change their characters or retcon anything that's happened so far.
-Champion Motto

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I've been trying to come up with an idea for what to do to continue the RP, but I'm running into a few problems. The first one is the sudden absence of three of our players. Our numbers dropped from 7 to 4 with Grim and Buster leaving and Gameb18oy AFK for an unknown time.

This is especially damaging since one of Roarin's characters was in a 1 on 1 RP with one of Grim's characters, and Deske's character had bonded with Gameb18oy's character.

If Deske's character is to continue, something needs to be done about Gameb18oy's character and their link. Whether it's a retcon, or if Deske wants to take the character over, I'm open to suggestions. There needs to be enough time passing for Roarin's ethereal to get back to the school, and I'm leaning towards a time skip. But then, I also wouldn't mind using the tour to build things up and get comfortable with the world building.

Any suggestions?
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

I'm down for a retcon. Give it some time for Gameb18oy to come back and if moves on too far, Thomas'll just pick up an ethereal along the way.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

If there does end up being a ret-con, I can always play another character for Thomas's would-be ethereal (if Thomas doesn't mind or had anything planned already), I had an idea in mind.

And I'd vote for tour over timeskip. It'd give us some time to adjust and fill in some of the grey areas. My ethereal character can just be on the back burner for now, assumed to be making their way back to the school over time.
"Sleep is due to me... And I have a dream to live."

Book Log: I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Ref Ref!
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Neon, do you have anything to say or do?
-Champion Motto

Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Don't think I have anything major to say or do, if you post before me it shouldn't affect whatever I could post, so I don't mind getting skipped right now.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Is anyone stuck? I'm trying to up the pace of this game. Btw, if you know anyone who's looking for an RP, this game is open.
-Champion Motto

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Please don't forget about this game. I'm trying hard to keep it alive.
-Champion Motto

Gael

Post by Gael »

Would it be ok if I joined or is it too late
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Not too late at all!

Feel free to submit a character sheet. We could use some new players.
-Champion Motto

Gael

Post by Gael »

Just so that I know I’m not making a mistake we’re using the first character sheets right
Gael

Post by Gael »

Also in the first character sheet what does ‘type’ refer to
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Type means either main character or secondary character.

Also, you can edit your posts if you have something to add. No need to post twice in a row.
-Champion Motto

Gael

Post by Gael »

Character Name: Snow
Color: This
Type: Main
Species/Breed: Etherial, Ice Affinity

Appearance:
Snow resembles a white Lunae with his hands and feet covered in ice. He has a Prominent light blue spot on his and is always surrounded by snowflakes that never melt

Personality:
Despite his outwordly cold appearance Snow is fairly happy go lucky, preferring to take things at his own relaxed pace. He has trouble talking to people though which is why he has no partner

History:
Snow has lived on the streets for his entire existence and has come to Jade Star Academy in hopes of finding a partner and overcome his shyness

Other:
Snow specializes in Channeling

S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats:
- Strength: 3
- Perception: 8
- Endurance: 7
- Charisma: 3
- Intelligence: 9
- Agility: 7
- Luck: 5

I forgot editing was a thing, sorry for the double post
Last edited by Gael on Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Before I go into depth, I just want to make sure you're aware that Etherial characters aren't physical in nature, and so Snow wouldn't be able to physically interact with things without a partner.

On the other side, they can also travel through walls and float around. They're a bit like ghosts made from the element they have an affinity to.
-Champion Motto

Gael

Post by Gael »

Got it, thank you
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Next things are you have 42 points to use, but you've only distributed 38. You have 4 more points to distribute.

Next, a skill of 1 generally represents a crippling disability. For example, a Charisma of 1 might indicate the character is mute, verbally disabled, or otherwise. Shyness would be more like a Charisma of 3 or 4.

So you can distribute the last 4 points. I would put 2 of them in Charisma.
-Champion Motto

Gael

Post by Gael »

Thank you, I’ll do that
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Looks good. Do you have a plan on how you want to enter?
-Champion Motto

Gael

Post by Gael »

Not really, I was just gonna keep an eye on the thread until I could think of a way to jump in or I’ll go in now cause it doesn’t look like anything has happened for a good few days
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

So I have good news! Buster is back!

I honestly don't know if I can continue to GM myself these days. My hands are full with delivery work and job applications.

So I am proposing handing the reigns back over to Buster. Honestly I would feel relieved to get back to just playing as David and Kass.

If nobody objects, then I propose Buster should be made Game Master of Jade Star Academy.
-Champion Motto

Gael

Post by Gael »

Anything is fine by me
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Then it's official. Buster is now the GM once more.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

hey everyone, sorry about my extended absence.
i'm primarily available on saturday and sunday right now, so expect those to be my most active days.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Welcome back, Buster!
-Champion Motto

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

just made a quick edit to some of my posts after realizing I got the name of Verek's ethereal wrong. :oops:
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

sorry if last week's update was a bit lackluster, most of my focus was on rewriting my notes on how laurian social casts work after CD implied changing guilds was a thing... >.<