Non-HPU RP: Jade Star Academy OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Buster
Game Master

Re: Non-HPU RP: Jade Star Academy OOC

Post by Buster »

honestly i can see arguments in both directions.

on one side he more melted it than exploded it, so i would have expected splattered slag more than shrapnel. there's nothing in the targets to really make explode. thy're a fabric target board, or a metal breastplate, on a wooden post. the barriers and what not were more to protect against stray arcs.

on the other, that finish does actually imply a degree of 'boom', that's easily interpreted as bigger than it might be.

so, um, I could go either way on this one...
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

Yeah that's what I was going off of was Cyber's post and the CACKOOM emphasized and everything and how he described his character as shielding himself from metal debri made me feel the explosion was a lot bigger, and I also wanted to give a feat to Hope in her shield withstanding that felt it would be a good indicator of showing off Hope's ability in some small way. If anything the way Cyber's been posting totally made it seem bigger which I felt I would play off that and have my character marvel at the strength and stuff.
Sunny Briggs -Golden Labrador Retriever- S3 P5 E7 C6 I3 A8 L10
Luna Briggs - Blue Russian Cat- S8 P6 E6 C6 I7 A5 L4
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Crackoom is onomatopoeia for the thunder from a large lightning bolt, not a detonation explosion. The explosion itself was a result of the rapid expansion of gasses inside the target due to the heat of the final bolt in comparison to the others. That expanding gas tore apart the half-melted metal and sent pieces flying.

Just thought I would put that out there.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i was focusing more on the fact that you gave it knockback, which implies a certain level of intensity, but *shrugs*
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

About the intensity of a firework. Point blank, and against something made of lightweight plasma, knockback wouldn't be hard to achieve.

I realize though that my post was rather ambiguous about a lot of things.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

so i was going to see of Roarin had anything to add, or if Neon headed inside... but i'm wondering if i should go ahead and just post something anyway...
GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

I poked roarin today so *shrugs* I dunno maybe wait a lil?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Is Thomas in human or wolf form? I ask because I had David react to him as though he was in his wolf form which was stated to be the form he usually takes, whereas others have been reacting to him as though he were in human form.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

He's in wolf form right now. Initially in my minds eye I had him in human form but you were the first person to react to him one way or the other so I just kinda rolled with it.
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Ah, I have been glancing through the other posts and must have missed that. I'll quickly go and edit my post.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Not your fault, I should've been obvious about it from the start instead of being unnecessarily vague about it.

Hoo boy, logographic writing systems are a fun one.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

bit of a clarification of how mana siphons work, they're a circuit that, as long as it's closed, constantly sucks in mana from everything touching it, and burns it off in one of two ways. the common variety worn by patients needing long term care emit regularly healing pulses into the wearer, and tends to look like a leather hospital restraint with metal wire woven into it.

or there's the prison variety which look like silver manacles and constantly form a barrier around itself to prevent it from being tampered with or removed by the wearer.

because they need to be a closed circuit to work they always look like some sort of manacle shackle cuff bracelet collar or anklet, and the folks who make them usualy want it to be obvious what they are so as to telegraph "Dont take this off" to others.

they do not prevent injury from mana reflux (putting too much mana into a spell and getting burned by the back-flow), miscasting (Messing up part of the words/motions/circle in away that causes the collected mana to explosively escape), or other accidents. the only ways to avoid such are to learn the spell properly, or to own a relic that does the casting for you, like a wand. said device would only be able to use the spell (just one) built into it, and would be doing all the work.

Kass and Kar are talking about having a custom one made with a much slower than normal absorption rate, and an unobtrusive appearance. (A silver bracelet, or a gold pendant chain maybe)

and on an unrelated note, i'm 0/5 on snagging ANYONE on plothooks... i thought for sure neon would hang onto the ring...
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

the hall is supposed to resemble the one where Ozpin would give his speeches in volumes 1 & 2 of RWBY. it'll be described in my next post.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Buster wrote:and on an unrelated note, i'm 0/5 on snagging ANYONE on plothooks... i thought for sure neon would hang onto the ring...
Have you tried to snag me on a plothook? If so, what was it?
-Champion Motto

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

So tried looking over the premise and while I'll admit I probably skimmed over stuff, curious about the nature of magical enchantments, and if people who find artifacts and weapons with magic within them can be accepted into the school? Like can you only get in if you're Merlin, or do they acknowledge the guy who gets excalibur probably shouldn't be left out?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

CyberDragon wrote:Have you tried to snag me on a plothook? If so, what was it?
actually you were the only one i didn't try hitting with one but i guess i need to phrase them better. with your character being the a non anthro, and more constant about that than deske, i kinda dont need to since your character is enough of a curiosity for them to come to you.
Gameb18oy wrote:So tried looking over the premise and while I'll admit I probably skimmed over stuff, curious about the nature of magical enchantments, and if people who find artifacts and weapons with magic within them can be accepted into the school? Like can you only get in if you're Merlin, or do they acknowledge the guy who gets excalibur probably shouldn't be left out?
technically you don't need any pre-existing magic to get in, your own, from an item, or otherwise. Used to be an existing mage needed to recomend you (since above a certain degree of power you can sense mana concentrations, such as say, someone with significant untapped potential), or one of the guilds or houses sponsors you (effectively they buy your way in. again feudal setting; easiest way to get power is to already have it in another form) but the current headmaster made arrangements for funding from the state and allows a certain number of sign ups at the door.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Oof, now I'm curious about what I've missed...
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

I've always liked magical settings so I want to join this... but worry I don't understand the world's rules. Maybe I could be somebody's familar or something?
GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

Buster wrote: actually you were the only one i didn't try hitting with one but i guess i need to phrase them better. with your character being the a non anthro, and more constant about that than deske, i kinda dont need to since your character is enough of a curiosity for them to come to you.
oh great this makes me feel like I've completely glossed something over and I feel so dumb for it XD
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

I do feel slightly better that others missed plothooks, but looking back the ring plothook was pretty obvious, whoops. Maybe I need to consult Murphy and his law a bit more when deciding on character actions in the future.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Deske wrote:Oof, now I'm curious about what I've missed...
GrimD@rk8290 wrote:oh great this makes me feel like I've completely glossed something over and I feel so dumb for it XD
Neon Icy Wings wrote:I do feel slightly better that others missed plothooks, but looking back the ring plothook was pretty obvious, whoops. Maybe I need to consult Murphy and his law a bit more when deciding on character actions in the future.
Don't worry, i'll find other things to throw at you :D
Gameb18oy wrote:I've always liked magical settings so I want to join this... but worry I don't understand the world's rules. Maybe I could be somebody's familar or something?
Deske and CD don't have partners, though CD might not need one with the way his character works. you could make arrangements with one of them, or anyone else who joins, or i can try and make a side character... though i'm currently the entire faculty and all of the quest NPCs...
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Deske okayed me becoming his partner, so making a character now. By the way, could an etherial have two affinities? Kinda considered it as I came up with his appearance, he'd have some connections to both water and nature due to the type of plant

Quote:
Character Name: Kero
Color: this
Type: Minor
Species/Breed: Etherial, Nature Affinity

Appearance: Rather small compared to most etherials in his incorporeal form, though he says this is mostly as a facade due to not wanted to put effort into a more detailed form. Parts of his body resemble a Lilypad, most notable a flower on his head that doubles as something akin to hair. When he possesses a physical form, he often gives himself wings to imitate dragons, their capability to catch wind is questionable at best though.

Personality:
A rather lazy creature, he tends to use magic to hide lacking efforts made by himself. He is often a bit of a peacemaker, finding conflict often leads him with much more demanding work. He is rather proud due to his magic, feeling he need only listen to those he feels close to and the few he admits are stronger than him.

History:
After finding himself at the academy, he has been shadowing Tom, figuring he might able to get a free ride if they will let them use their magic to help with the werewolf control his transformation

Other:
Uses shaper magic when in his base form, claims he can use shifter magic when possessing other things

S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats:
- Strength: 6
- Perception:4
- Endurance: 7
- Charisma: 7
- Intelligence: 9
- Agility: 6
- Luck: 3
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

looks good, sorry i didn't post earlier.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Thanks, hopefully I can see an organic way to enter the story
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

just one thing to keep in mind, etherials without a mortal partner aren't solid to the physical world the vast majority of the time, and they don't really have a choice in the matter. without someone connected to them nearby, to anchor them in the physical world, or a construct to posses, manifesting fully takes a lot of energy. for a lot of them an easy shortcut to that end is 'what they get out of the deal' from partnering up and sharing their magic, it's supposed to be a symbiotic relationship.

so until the two of you meet and form a pact IC, expect things like people and objects passing through you, and just touching things taking effort.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Buster wrote:just one thing to keep in mind, etherials without a mortal partner aren't solid to the physical world the vast majority of the time, and they don't really have a choice in the matter. without someone connected to them nearby, to anchor them in the physical world, or a construct to posses, manifesting fully takes a lot of energy. for a lot of them an easy shortcut to that end is 'what they get out of the deal' from partnering up and sharing their magic, it's supposed to be a symbiotic relationship.
Will keep this in mind

so until the two of you meet and form a pact IC, expect things like people and objects passing through you, and just touching things taking effort.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i'm assuming that was quoted for a reason? um... you going to say anything?
Deske

Post by Deske »

They neglected to edit the end of the quote. Their answer is after the first paragraph.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Ugh, yeah sorry about that Buster. Also, sorry about not replying yet, will be trying to put something in, sorry if it doesn't make the most sense, will try editing my first reply if I misunderstand anything happening around my character
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I was going to reveal this when you actually looked at them... But your snake would know better. Electric spells are always referred to as lightning or thunder. The storm spells were a red herring. Theyre wind and water magic meant for weather control. Basicaly arcane meterorology.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Fixed.

David's probably not going to look at the books yet until he knows he has time to do so, and knows he can read it. He doesn't know how long the tour is going to hang out in the library/shrine area.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

A few more turns then you get to see the first year dorms.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

just a bit of a quick check of who's waiting on what.
I'm waiting to see if Deske notices GB18's character, for roarin's next post for both characters, and not sure what to do with neon.
how bout you guys? i assume at least a few of you are waiting on me?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I'm waiting for a response from the professor, so yeah.
-Champion Motto

Roarin

Post by Roarin »

I probably won’t be able to post until Wednesday. Studying for the last of my midterms has been sucking up all my time!
"Sleep is due to me... And I have a dream to live."

Book Log: I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Ref Ref!
Deske

Post by Deske »

I'll try and get something up in a few hours tonight.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

dont worry about it roarin, i just wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page.
Deske

Post by Deske »

I've got some relevant info about Thomas's 'innate magic.' For starters, he can't actively use it and while it's technically able to be removed from him, serves practically no use as a form of power. It's more or less just a catalyst for shifting. It, along with certain stimuli such as fight or flight instincts or those related to the moon, serves as the driving force behind the shift.
For the vast majority of shifts, and currently all of Thomas's, this magic is what makes him change. Magically driven shifts are generally smoother, by comparison to instinctual shifts, and easier to control via his potions.
The main reason that lycanthropy hasn't been cured by just stopping the magic from doing anything is that it's just so unreactive to witchcraft style magic. It can be affected by other magic, but overall once it's begun doing it's job it won't stop until it's done.
While it can be drained this brings up a host of problems and is rendered nonviable as a control method due to a variety of side effects this process has on the mental status of the lycanthrope being drained of magic.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

What are we waiting on again?
Last edited by CyberDragon on Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

mostly the fact that i spent both my days off drawing members of a D&D party i joined instead of spending part of that figuring out what next.

sorry...
i'll try to get something up tomorrow.