HousepetZ: Survivor Tails

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Re: HousepetZ: Survivor Tails

Post by SeanWolf »

Time to begin the new story-line (HOUSEPETZ: RETURN OF UNDEAD NIGHTMARES)!

HousepetZ: Disastrous Transports
Chapter 1: A Good Boy Returns

With a whoosh, the doors leading from Gate 5 into the New Rhodia City Airport, one of the largest and historic airports in the States, opened up, allowing the new arrivals to step out, each one happy to be back on solid ground after their close to ten-hour flight from sunny Florida. One of these passengers was a small dalmatian whose collar was adorned with the symbol from his favorite television series, Star Trek. His name is Dallas and he was just as happy, if not even more so, to be back on solid ground. It’s not that he didn’t mind flying as he had things to entertain himself during the flight. But the ten-hours of sitting down and seeing nothing but sky and clouds was, to him, pretty boring after the five-hour mark. Though the happiness was to be temporary as he was set to get on a connecting flight to River Ridge, meaning another lengthy plane ride. Still, Dallas happily thought, it feels good to be able to stretch my legs again and see something other than blue. At the same time, he was ready for some non-in-flight food, so, grabbing his backpack from the luggage carousel, Dallas made his way to the nearest greasy food joint, in this case being the airport’s own Little John’s Merry Burgers. There wasn’t anything wrong with airplane food; he just needed something greasy, fattening, and darn-good smelling to boot. As it was a Wednesday, both the burger joint and the airport itself weren’t too busy, so Dallas was able to get to the counter, place his order, and get a table very quickly to enjoy his fine, yet greasy, dining. I can’t wait to get back home and see my buddies again. I wonder what I missed, he pondered as he chowed down on his double cheeseburger with jalapenos. Even though he’d only been gone for a few days at most, he still was curious to see what all the exciting events he missed out on, if any occurred at all. He kept up with some news from the town, of course, but it was mostly just typical news stories for the area. He knew, however, there had to have been some excitement that took place, and he was itching to get home. For the time being, however, he was just happy to have some decent food in his stomach, even if it did drip ketchup on his fur. While he wiped up the catsup, he heard a small commotion outside the restaurant. Looking out the window he was seated next to, Dallas spotted a group of what appeared to be reporters crowding around a well-dressed man with, what he described as, a Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange-styled hairdo. Thinking it was some random celebrity, Dallas went back to his meal, enjoying the taste of the greasy and probably not good burger, passing off the commotion outside as nothing really important.

But, unknown to him, the person he pegged as just a random celebrity was, in a sense, famous, but not to the level of movie stars. For this well-dressed man with slick hair, a friendly smile, and eyes greener than an emerald? His name was Drake ‘Exile’ Marcinko; the mayor of his hometown of River Ridge. He, too, was returning from a small vacation, though this was more for business than leisure, as, earlier in the month, he was invited to a meeting held in Washington. Lasting four days, he and others were there to discuss the recent events of humans suddenly turning into animals, with some turning back into their human selves while others remained as animals. Many theories were discussed like a biological attack from somewhere to some mysterious unknown force from beyond the planet but, by the end of it, most if not all agreed that, though the world’s population is now half human and half animal, life is still going on as if nothing really happened, so they agreed that no further action was needed, outside of now having to find a way to have schools teach about this mysterious incident, which was being called Earth’s Anthroization.
“I’m sorry, everyone, the mayor has just returned from his vacation and would like to relax before his flight is scheduled to leave, so he only has time for one question.” The security officer handling the mayor told the crowd of reporters. One reporter, a woman from one of the local news agencies, shot her hand up almost immediately. “Mr. Mayor! Lea Ryder, NRC-5 News,” she began, “During the Earth’s Anthroization, there were reports of a pomeranian in River Ridge, claiming that she knew the truth behind this event, before being silenced by, and I’m going by what I have in my notes here, a multi-tailed white fox, who was then chased by a cat with a shotgun… Um, anyway, with this pomeranian now having gone missing from the River Ridge Rejuvenation Center, do you suspect a link between the dog and the fox?”
“No, I don’t believe there is any evidence to link the two critters. What happened that day is still a mystery to the world and, while we would like to know what caused the event to take place, I think it’s best that we, for now, just move on with our lives.” The mayor answered Lea as the other reporters took notes. “Now, please. As my guard here said, I just returned from vacation and I would like to relax. Please, excuse me.” With that, two of the guards began to usher the reporters away, while the mayor and another guard, a man named Jack O’Connell, walked away to the nearby coffee shop. The mayor leaned over to Jack. “I hated lying to them,” he whispered softly. “But what was I supposed to do? Tell them that there was a link between the two and that this was all started by a game played by two Celestials years ago? Who’d honestly believe that?” Jack shrugged, "Other than a select group on the internet and a certain news station? Not much.” He whispered back as they got in line. “The only proof we have is what that dragon and feline told us, and, between you and me? I’m inclined to believe them.”
“Same, but what about the rest of the world? Would they believe the words of a simple mayor? They’d think I’m crazy.” Jack just shrugged once more as they placed their orders. Indeed, how would the world react? Would they respond in understanding or would they respond with violence? Would they demand those involved pay for their crimes or would they forgive and forget? There were so many outcomes running through the mayor’s head, it was almost headache-inducing. As they took their coffee and donuts and sat down, Drake whispered once more to Jack, “I’m just happy this wasn’t another zombie virus. In fact?” He took a sip of his coffee. “In fact, the world feels a bit… more pleasant now than it was. Yeah, most of the world is now animals, but, I dunno, people seem nicer and more accepting of each other now. So, maybe this incident was a good thing?”
“Maybe… though I’m pretty sure most of them are now upset at how much shampoo they have to buy now.” Both Jack and Mayor Marcinko laughed quietly as they enjoyed their small meal. Meanwhile, 38,000 feet in the air and on-board Flight 404, a stewardess was walking the aisles and checking upon each of the passengers, seeing if they’re enjoying the flight and if they needed anything. One passenger, however, she noticed, was wincing and shivering, almost like they were in pain. “Sir? Are you alright?” She asked the passenger. Looking up ever so slowly, the passenger, his breathing now labored, tried to speak, but, to the shock of the stewardess, slumped over on the seat. While a couple of the nearby passengers and another steward, like anyone in the situation, did freak out, the stewardess who first noticed the passenger sprung into action almost immediately. Being a registered nurse, a career she started following the zombie apocalypse years ago, and began examining the slumped-over passenger, checking his pulse and the like. “Connie! There’s a doctor in first-class, go get him!” She shouted to a nearby stewardess, taking her eyes off of the passenger whose eyes suddenly snapped open.

With a good yet greasy meal sitting comfortably in his stomach, Dallas relaxed on the nearby bench, waiting for his flight to be announced and watching the various new and returning passengers roam about the airport. From everyday citizens to high-class millionaires to business men and women, it seems every walk of life was looking to get some airtime in today. A couple of the conversations he heard ranged from interesting to fairly boring to very eye-opening, with one he wished he didn’t hear in the first place and wishes he could bleach from his memory. That little moment aside, Dallas soon found himself getting bored and, with no update to his flight, decided to kill some time by visiting the nearby arcade and seeing what they got to play, which was a surprisingly good collection, from classics to a few of the modern hits. Of course, being a fan of retro titles, Dallas made tracks for the nearby Mappy machine, passing by a very tempting House Of The Dead 4 cabinet.
Haven’t played this in a while, he thought while inserting a few quarters, hopefully I still got the touch. A few seconds into the game and he indeed did still have it, smiling as he progressed through each level without losing a single life. Even though he was still a bit bored, playing Mappy did help alleviate some of that boredom and did help pass some time, which was all he really wanted.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

This is a very excellent and engrossing chapter! I can't wait to see what you have got planned!
Krytus The Dreamer

Post by Krytus The Dreamer »

Hope Dallas has got "the touch." in real life so to speak, cause something tells me he's gonna need it sometime soon. kinda reminds me of a running joke from the Yugioh abridged series where to explain all their feats of parkour they all keep saying "its a good thing I played all that Assasin's Creed."
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Admittedly when I watched the show as a child I did wonder a lot about that. :P
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Krytus The Dreamer wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:55 pm Hope Dallas has got "the touch." in real life so to speak, cause something tells me he's gonna need it sometime soon. kinda reminds me of a running joke from the Yugioh abridged series where to explain all their feats of parkour they all keep saying "its a good thing I played all that Assasin's Creed."
Well, to be honest, I chose Mappy as I just needed a retro game instead of the usual picks I would do for arcades and, for that matter, I have zero idea how skills in Mappy can help in situations xD
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So basically it is gonna be him having skills that shouldn't help but do help? That is what it sounds like at least to me. :P
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:57 am So basically it is gonna be him having skills that shouldn't help but do help? That is what it sounds like at least to me. :P
Well, just wait and see ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It is a good think that I am very good at waiting then. Definitely one of my strong suits.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Chapter 2: The Tom Hanks Movie Was Better

“Flight Four-Zero-Four, are you still there? You went silent just now, is everything OK?” The man in the control tower leaned forward in confusion. The rest of the controllers weren’t having any issues with contacting flights, so why did his suddenly go silent? Something wasn’t making sense. “I say again, do you still read Flight 404? This is the New Rhodia City Air Traffic Control Tower. Please respond.” Again, nothing. His co-worker next to him leaned over. “Something wrong?”
“I lost contact with this flight here.” he replied pointing at his screen. “Conversation was normal when, all of a sudden, it went quiet.” His co-worker was equally as confused. “Looks like there’s a Cessna close by it, let me see if I can get in touch with it.” Rolling back to his station, the co-worker tapped some buttons on his console and spoke into his headset. “Cessna Hotel-Papa-Zuzu Five-One-Four, do you copy? Over.” A male voice from the other end replied back almost instantly, “This is Cessna Hotel-Papa-Zuzu Five-One-Four, I copy. Over. Anything wrong?”
“Negative, Five-One-Four, we just have a favor to ask of you.”
“I’m not gonna buzz the tower.”
“Nah, nothing like that, we already had some idiot do that. No, actually we need you to check on flight Four-Zero-Four for us, since you’re close by, and fly by to see if there’s anything wrong.”
“Ok then, bit weird. Any reason why?”
“Well, we just lost contact with it for some reason and we can’t figure out why.”
“Heh Alright, I can do that. Got the coordinates?”
“Ah coordinates are…uh give me a minute.” The co-worker leaned over to the guy’s radar before the pilot replied back, “Negative on my last, I spotted the plane. Romeo-Charlie Four-Zero-Four?” The co-worker checked, “That’s the one, Five-One-Four. Let us know if you somehow see anything.”
“Roger.” The pilot replied as their chief entered the tower, taking quick notice of the two huddled near the one’s radar. “Anything wrong, boys?”
“Lost contact with Four-Zero-Four, so we have Cessna Five-One-Four checking it out.” The co-worker replied.
“Flight’s still in the air?”
“Yeah, we just lost contact. Probably just got distracted or had a bad connection.”
“Cessna Hotel-Papa-Zuzu Five-One-Four to ATC, come in, over.”
“This is ATC, we read you Five-One-Four. What do you have for us?”
“Yeah, I’m flying near Flight Four-Zero-Four and the plane looks fine. I don’t see anybody in the cockpit at the moment, so they’re probably on autopilot.”
“Nobody? Weird…OK, thank you for your help, Five-One-Four.”

Back in the airport, Dallas was coming out of the arcade after busying himself with the classic Mappy. A fun little game and one of his favorites, he was now trying to decide what to do now. He didn’t feel like going back in and playing one of the other units and he didn’t want to just sit down on a bench some more and watch something on YouTube. To say he was bored with nothing to do would be putting it gently. I blame that Terminal movie, he thought as he walked by a couple discussing plans for when they get home, he made it seem so much better than it actually was. He was so deep in his thoughts that he didn’t see that there was a bit of excitement on the horizon, for in a matter of seconds? “Mate! Watch out!”
“Huh…Gah!” he yelped as he walked face first into a nearby pole, falling onto his back dazed yet not confused. The canine who alerted the distracted Dallas ran over and held his paw out.
“Crikey! Ya’ OK, mate?” the canine asked as he helped Dallas up.
“Y-yeah, I’m fine!” He replied, rubbing the bridge of his nose as the canine chuckled. “Bloody good thing I was payin’ attention, eh? Else you’ve had a heck of a headache!” Though a bit winded, Dallas laughed, finally taking notice of the dog’s accent. “Say uh don’t take this the wrong way, but you’re not from around here, are you?” he asked. The canine, an Australian Kelpie, smiled. “Nope!” he answered in a somewhat thick accent, “I’m from Australia, mate! Name’s Monté! I’m a Park Ranger for the Kakadu National Park.”
“Oh, you’re from Australia?” Dallas replied, “Nice to meet someone from the otherside of the world! I’m Dallas…er what are you doing here in the States, if I may ask?” Monté smiled, “I’m on vacation! My boss, Furhan, gave me some time off after helping out during the bushfire we had last month, so I decided to take a trip to the states and take a tour!”
“Ah, having fun? Monté shrugged. “No disrespect, mate? America’s a great country but you got some weird tastes! You deep fry everything under the bloody sun, for cryin’ out loud!” Dallas laughed, taking no offense to the remark as he, too, never understood that fascination. “Still! Got to visit DisneyLand and had a blast there!” Monté smiled, his pearly whites almost glittering in the lights.
“Well, glad you had fun in one area!” Dallas remarked.
“Me too. Hey, want to get a fizzy drink uh I mean soda, sorry. My treat.” After thinking it over a bit, Dallas nodded and he and his new friend Monté walked over to a nearby shop and got themselves something cold to drink.

Across the way, Mayor Marcinko was looking out the nearby window as Jack returned with the other bodyguard. He notices the Mayor almost lost in thought. “Penny for your thoughts, chief?” The mayor looked over. “Mhm, just thinking. Do you three ever really stop and think about all the weird things that happened throughout the years? Celestials showing up, humans turning into animals…that cult living in our woods for a time?” The three guards were quiet for a bit. “I have a few times.” The one replied. “But I never really gave it much thought other than our town is weird.” The mayor chuckled. “Well, I have no complaints with that belief. But, don’t you three find it, I don’t know, strange that all this began right after Keene Milton went into that temple on his property all those years ago? I mean really think about it; Before that day, the weirdest thing in our town was the Milton ferrets getting that inheritance. Now? We had a zombie apocalypse. A cult of woodland critters living in our woods. The outbreak that was caused by a delusional dog. Celestials making themselves known to us!” He sighed as he leaned back on the bench. “I’m not saying there’s any connection, but it just seems weird, you know?” The three guards nodded, each one agreeing with what the mayor had said as he returned to looking out the window at the tarmac, his mind still thinking about the past years events, the other three returning to their job of protecting the mayor. A few minutes went by as they stood there, Jack stretching his arms out when a woman approached them. “Excuse me, I don’t mean to interrupt anything.” She pointed over to the nearby set of stairs. “But I can’t find any security guards and that guy over there has been acting funny for a while now.” Jack looked over to where the lady was pointing. Near said stairs was what appeared to be a disheveled man, slowly sauntering around with his head down and swaying slowly as he did. Jack patted her shoulder, “I’ll handle this.” He assured her and walked over to the odd man, the two other guards and the mayor now watching the events unfold.
“Sir, are you alright?” Jack asked as he approached the man, before catching a whiff of an odd odor coming from his direction. It almost smelled like rotten meat, like the man was a butcher or something. He placed his hand carefully on the man’s shoulder and asked again, “Sir. Is everything alright?” The man slowly turned his head towards Jack, moaning ever so slightly. The man’s face was deathly pale, almost sickly looking, with bits of drool dripping from the mouth. Jack’s stomach sank, “Sir, if you’re unwell, we need…” Jack soon screamed in pain as, rather quickly, the man lunged and bit into his neck. The folks watching the events unfold gasped in horror as this sickly man began to feast on Jack. Suddenly, panic took over as a few more onlookers were soon attacked by similar sickly people. Screams of terror soon filled the air as many began to run for their lives as more began to appear and claim victims for their lunch. Nearby where the first attack took place, a reporter and her camerman began broadcasting to their job. “I am reporting live from the New Rhodia City Airport where, just a few moments ago, a security guard was brutally attacked by an unknown assailant and, now, more people are being attacked by similar looking people. From what we’re…able…to gather RONNIE, RUN!” the reporter shouted in vain as the cameraman soon fell victim to a hungry person. Across from the reporter, the mayor and his two bodyguards began to run as well, aiming for the front exit. The one guard tried in vain to defend them but was soon overcome and devoured.
“Exit is too risky!” The remaining guard shouted, “We’ll head to the V.I.P lounge!” The mayor nodded and followed the guard, only for the guard to get downed by another guard, dropping his handgun to the ground. The mayor, having been an ex-Navy SEAL, grabbed the pistol and fired at the guard, dropping them instantly, though being too late to save his own guard. The mayor looked around at the carnage happening, realizing what was happening before running up the nearby stairs. Spotting the hall that lead to the V.I.P Lounge, he made a run for it, but not before spotting two canines running for their lives. “You two!” he shouted, “Follow me!” The dalmatian and kelpie, spotting the mayor, ran towards him.
“What the bloody heck was that?!” The kelpie shouted as he caught his breath quickly. The mayor could only answer with one word. One word that he never wanted to utter ever again. “Those were zombies…” but he was soon silent as he, and everyone else in the airport, soon heard a rumbling sound. A rumbling sound that was getting louder.
Krytus The Dreamer

I googled what an Australian Kelpie looks like and now I want one.

Also, I'm not very knowledgeable about airplanes but is autopilot advanced enough that it can land a plane or is that fiction? And boy would it suck to be on that plane when the outbreak happened.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Krytus The Dreamer wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:33 am I googled what an Australian Kelpie looks like and now I want one.

Also, I'm not very knowledgeable about airplanes but is autopilot advanced enough that it can land a plane or is that fiction? And boy would it suck to be on that plane when the outbreak happened.
Surprisingly? Yeah. I'm just as surprised as you are.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Would make me feel a bt calmer about going on planes but now I'm worried about it malfunctioning and slamming us into a field. At least I don't have to worry about plane rides for another year. Anyway great chapter as always Sean!
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

So uh you guys are probably wondering what happened. Long story short, I was not in a good place throughout August and September and that really affected my work. Thankfully, I'm doing better and this time I MEAN doing better! I figured out the cause of my issues a few Sundays ago (not gonna delve into them but it was two things I realized I just wasn't ready to handle mentally, physically, or spiritually). Anyway, I did some changes and admitting things and guess what? I'm happy again! Playing my games is fun again, writing is fun, RPing is fun, I have the urge to watch movies again, and even chatting with amazing friends like you guys is fun again! I even got my urge to draw more and write again!

So, yes, HousepetZ is back on track...though i did have to do some changes to the current story arc (Return Of Undead Nightmares Part 1) and future storylines (One story, no joke, I'm turning into a Children's story) heh. So yeah, just a small update as to where we are!

(Oh, one more update: In HousepetZ? As of now...Bailey is pregnant with her and King's fourth child and, yes, this IS an upcoming story)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

... and soooooo glad you're restored, Sean. :)
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

NHWestoN wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:24 pm ... and soooooo glad you're restored, Sean. :)
Thanks :) It honestly feels good to be feeling this way again :) *happy werewolf dance*
Krytus The Dreamer

That's great to hear dude! can't wait for the next update on this.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Glad to hear that you have overcome your issues! That truly is the most important thing.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Wonderful to hear, Sean.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Also looking forward to whenever the heck you introduce Slayder into the story and reveal him as Elena's new boyfriend. XD
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:51 pm Also looking forward to whenever the heck you introduce Slayder into the story and reveal him as Elena's new boyfriend. XD
Honestly, I'm not sure exactly when I have Slayder slated to return as I had to re-do the entire Return Of Undead Nightmares arc along with future arcs on a whole. I scrapped one arc entirely (Blood Is Family, which would've delved into Sasha's equally as psychotic family in the HPZVerse), for one, and cancelled one story as I just didn't want to do a sequel story (It was going to be a follow-up to CarnEvil called Welcome To CarnEvil)...though that one I decided to change into a full children's story about a magical traveling carnival powered by a child's imagination.

There was also the cancellation of the Dreamscapes series of arcs, which would've had Sabrina working with the character I introduced last story named Dream, as it didn't really fit with HousepetZ on a whole. Lastly, and this may be a disappointment to some...I scrapped two whole arcs just because it felt too much like a repeat of what's currently going on in Housepets itself and I want to keep my story on a separate timeline (hence why I said HousepetZ is set after an alternate ending to Temple Crashers 2) from the main-line story, even though I recently brought in a few characters from the current arc (Lois, Marion, and Marion's mom).

The first of the two cancelled arcs was Homeward Nightmares, which had a four-part mini story called Heckseeker where Lester stole Dragon's Amulet and is using it for his wishes. The arc would've finally brought in NegaBreel as the main antagonist (Not Lester as the story had a 'Devil on the shoulder' feel to it) and would've ended with the amulet shattering into five pieces (The Claw, The Talon, The Wings, The Tail, and The Head). This would've led to Dragon's Amulet, where a group of the main cast (never decided on who) and a few Celestials (Anubis, Dragon, Deus, and one other I can't remember) would travel the world looking for the pieces. They would get the first two but lose the third to the villain (which is a spoiler for this arc, so I won't reveal their name), then travel to Australia where they get both that and the next piece. This would end with them returning home and finding the final piece and one of them would make a wish that would've sent NegaBreel back to the Netherworld and fix a few other issues the broken amulet had caused.

I haven't forgotten about Slayder, mind you! I just need to think of the right arc and/or story to put him in that would make sense for him. On that note, speaking of, well, good looking dogs, I got alot more Mungo arcs planned, including another Bat Out Of The Netherworld and 'Return To The MutliVerse', which I think that one will top the original MultiVerse arc I did with Joey :)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Mungo is dating somebody new so he is not an option for Elena anymore. Unless there is suddenly another buff handsome good aligned dog that suddenly appears and is single. :D
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Chapter 3: Mayday! Mayday!

Ten Minutes Prior…

“So, as it turned out, the reason for the brushfire? Some flamin’ galah was so munted - that’s ‘drunk’ for you Americans - he decided to see if he could summon something from the underworld, as he claimed, and, wouldn’t you know it? Boom, brushfire!” Monté regaled to Dallas while they sat in the nearby shop, enjoying their sodas. “I tell you, Dallas, people can be really stupid, espically when plonk’s involved (That’s alcohol to you).”
“Well, what do you expect? That stuff really messes with your mind,” Dallas said with a chuckle, “However, if you’re expecting a story from me? I wouldn’t hold your breath…nothing really exciting happened to me, to be honest with you.” Monte could tell this bothered Dallas, just by the tone of his voice.
“You OK, mate?” Monté inquired. Dallas sighed, “Not really. It seems everybody in my hometown had some crazy, exciting thing happen to them; King told me how he went to Australia to rescue his wife from a Celestial heck-bent on winning some game. Bino traveled to the Netherworld to save someone; even Zach went to Asgard! My best friend, Joey? He journeyed into the flippin’ MultiVerse and fought in an epic war!” He huffed while reclining back in his chair. “I mean, yeah, I did journey into that temple years ago that I got kicked out of for not following the rules, but afterwards? The most exciting thing that happened to me was that I stayed in Florida during the zombie apocalypse and was able to beat a few arcade games.” He glanced out the window at the folks walking around the airport, “For once, I’d like to have a story I could tell, you know? For once, I want to have an epic adventure. For once? For once, I’d like to be the main character in a story.” Dallas sighed and sipped his soda, his feelings of disappointment and jealousy running rampant within him, something that Monté could tell was bugging him greatly.
“Dallas? Let me tell you something. It’s good to have dreams of being a hero or the savior of the world, I mean we all do when we’re young. Heck, some of us older folk still do. But, while they’re good dreams to have? They’re also dreams that can really hurt you in more ways than you can imagine. I don’t mean just physically hurt you, but mentally as well. The more you desire to be something you just aren’t, the more you’ll miss out on what makes you, well, you in the first place. I’ve known many people who, ever since they were young like you, desired to be something they aren’t, thanks to reasons that could fill up an entire encyclopedia set. From outside forces to wanting to be like someone they love/look up to everyday, to just being told from a very young age that ‘they were put on this world for greatness’. While that last part may be true, many misinterpret it and think they’re destined to be the next Superman or Batman or whatever hero is popular any more. I mean, how many shows have you seen on television where a young person is the hero in an action setting? I get that they’re trying to cater to kids, but some kids can be affected differently than other kids when they see things like that. But, here’s the thing that everyone, even you, seems to miss out on: You don’t need to go on an amazing adventure, you don’t need to have some tragedy happen to you, you don’t even need to have powers granted to you by a Celestial being to be a hero. Sometimes? Being a hero means helping a lady across the street. Helping your family out when they require it. Being a shoulder for your friend to cry on. They may not seem like much to you, but to them? To those people you help? To them, you are their Superman. You are their Captain America. You are their hero. A hero doesn’t always have to be someone who fought in a war, who travels to space, who does something amazing in sports, or who, like you said, saved the MultiVerse. Most of the time? A hero is just someone who’s there for someone. Don’t desire to be like your friends who did something extraordinary. You are not your friends: You are Dallas. You are you. Be the person that you see in the mirror everyday. Be Dallas. Be yourself.” Dallas looked over at Monté from the window after he was done with his speech. Though words failed him at the moment, what Monté said made sense to him. He gave Monté a small smile and nodded his head, acknowledging he was listening and what he said made sense, though Monté could tell that it was still bugging him. “I’d just…I’d just like to have some excitement in my life sometime, you know?” Dallas sighed.
“Hey, again, I get where you’re coming from!” Monté replied, “We all want excitement! But if we had excitement in our lives everyday, then life would get pretty boring. We all crave excitement, but we need those times of quietness and simplicity to balance our lives. Sometimes? It’s better to sit back and listen to the sounds of nature or read a good book or just take a simple nap then go out craving excitement. If you focus too much on looking for the next WOW thing or the next exciting moment, then you’ll miss out on, well, just about everything else. Sometimes, it’s better to just watch the sunset than go mountain bike riding.” Dallas was quiet again before looking back up at Monté. “Were you ever a life coach?” Monté laughed, “Nah! But I’d make a pretty good one, huh?” They both shared a laugh as they finished their drinks and walked out of the store. “So, what do you want to do now? We still got some time before you got to get on your flight, the way it looks. Want to head to the arcade?” Dallas was getting ready to answer when he was interrupted by a sudden scream. They both ran over to the railing and looked down to see where the scream came from. To their horror, they saw what appeared to be a man attacking another rather violently, almost as if they were eating them. Then, more screams filled the air as Monté pointed ahead of the guy. More folks were being attacked as the airport became a mass of panic and chaos as passengers began running away from these shambling folks.
“Oh my dog.” Monté said as Dallas stood there in horror at what he was witnessing, unaware of the being approaching him. Thankfully, Monté was paying attention as he shouted, “DALLAS, GET DOWN!”, swinging a nearby chair at the encroaching person and knocking them off the ledge. Dallas ducked as Monté swung the chair, “Th-thanks.” Monté nodded before helping him up, “We gotta get out of here. Follow me.” Just as they started to run, a voice called out to them. You two! “Follow me!” Monté and Dallas looked over and saw a well-dressed man motioning to them and ran towards him.
“What the bloody heck was that?!” Monté shouted as he caught his breath quickly. The man looked at them and said the one word that Dallas thought he would never hear again. A word that brought back the horrors of watching the news all those years ago. “Those were zombies.”
“Z-zombies?!” Monté sputtered, “How can that be?! I thought that Celestial cured them!” The man wanted to answer but he was soon silent as he, and everyone else in the airport, soon heard a rumbling sound. A rumbling sound that was getting louder. “Uh, does anyone hear that?”
“I hear it…but I'm also feeling it.” Dallas said as the earth beneath him began to shake a bit before suddenly shouting “LOOK!” The man and Monté looked to where Dallas was pointing and were horrified at what they were seeing. Outside and coming in from high above, a massive jetliner was flying in and it wasn’t stopping. Its left wing connected with the airport's air traffic control tower, sending it crashing down below, before suddenly crashing into the airport itself, causing death and destruction wherever it touched before sliding to a halt, looking nothing more like a broken toy. The door to the jet opened up as a person slowly stepped out, falling to the ground beneath as more followed behind. But they weren’t walking or behaving like normal humans. Like those in the airport prior, they, much to the man, Monté, and Dallas’ horror, were also zombies. To everyone in the airport’s horror, the nightmare that they thought was over all those years ago? A nightmare that many have tried hard to move past? It was happening again.
Krytus The Dreamer

you'd think that someone like Dallas, who's somewhat invested in pop culture, would at least know what a Monkey's paw is.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Krytus The Dreamer wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:53 am you'd think that someone like Dallas, who's somewhat invested in pop culture, would at least know what a Monkey's paw is.
What makes you say that (I'm legit curious)?
Krytus The Dreamer

There's this excerpt from the wiki I remembered when I was looking through it trying to figure out which character I should use next,

"As of Buy Me A Star War he has been shown to be very knowledgeable of the more complicated aspects of geek culture."

I feel like the concept of a monkey's paw and other twilight zone-type stuff fits in neatly with that. Also, Monkey's paw type stories are common ways to start off fanfics which if you're as nerdy as Joey and Co. its not impossible that they would've dabbled at some point.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Krytus The Dreamer wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:16 am There's this excerpt from the wiki I remembered when I was looking through it trying to figure out which character I should use next,

"As of Buy Me A Star War he has been shown to be very knowledgeable of the more complicated aspects of geek culture."

I feel like the concept of a monkey's paw and other twilight zone-type stuff fits in neatly with that. Also, Monkey's paw type stories are common ways to start off fanfics which if you're as nerdy as Joey and Co. its not impossible that they would've dabbled at some point.
Interesting. May look into that sometime for a future story (never really dabbled with Monkey Paws and the like).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Be careful what you wish for Dallas because now it looks like it is YOUR turn to be the hero! Hope he doesn't let everybody down! Great chapter!
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Next chapter should be up by this weekend (had planned on getting it up last weekend but, truth be told? I was dog gone tired that week) and I do have a small announcement.

I don't know if anyone really paid attention to the arcs but, if you have, you may have noticed they were kind of jumping all over the place with who the focus was on and there really wasn't a singular story to follow. From now on, all arcs going forth, starting with this arc (Return Of Undead Nightmares), will now have a singular story to follow and will be focused on one to a few or so characters (maximum of four) instead of jumping all over the place like they were in the past. For example, this arc will solely be a Dallas arc and the next arc is a Zach and Mungo arc. Don't worry, nothing's being rewritten or cut, just reorganized to flow better.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Does sound like you have everything all taken care of and know where you want the stories to lead! I look forward to seeing the next chapter soon!
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:10 pm Does sound like you have everything all taken care of and know where you want the stories to lead! I look forward to seeing the next chapter soon!
Thanks!

And while it's on my mind, here's something neat I've been working on for a while - The HousepetZ Article - This is just a little article I whipped up that details not only the history of HousepetZ on a whole, but details some fun facts about the story as well!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think that you probably know this, but I honestly can't WAIT until we see Slayder and his fine self again. Fire dogs I'm sure are really ripped. <3
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:26 am I think that you probably know this, but I honestly can't WAIT until we see Slayder and his fine self again. Fire dogs I'm sure are really ripped. <3
You'll have to wait until the third arc for that (This arc is about Dallas and the next arc is all about Zach and Mungo).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I will gladly wait as long as there is a payoff.

If there is no payoff then I'll riot. :evil: :twisted:
Krytus The Dreamer

The faux trivia document is interesting. I think I might make one for my stuff too cause its getting to be quite the whopper of a story in its own right. Though it might be more of a TLDR if anything.

I'm excited to see how Dallas handles the second apocalypse it'll be fun seeing how it changes him or not.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Krytus The Dreamer wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:43 pm The faux trivia document is interesting. I think I might make one for my stuff too cause its getting to be quite the whopper of a story in its own right. Though it might be more of a TLDR if anything.

I'm excited to see how Dallas handles the second apocalypse it'll be fun seeing how it changes him or not.
Thanks! Yeah, the document was something I wanted to do for a while, just to give some background info on HousepetZ as a whole, along with giving some trivia about it (Though, I'm honestly curious to know if the things I listed as "controversial" were really that).
Krytus The Dreamer

I'm not sure about "controversial" but I do disagree with how you handled Fox's death. Just to be clear, I don't mind that you killed him off it's the aftermath that kinda bugs me.

I might go deep into nitpicking territory and get really wordy but if you don't want to see this sort of stuff I'll just mark it as spoilers. I'm also not trying to say that how I would've written it is better by any means. There may be a few things I missed or forgotten about cause can you blame me? I just want to give my take on it and maybe discuss cause story crafting is fun.

My take on the whole situation is that we only got to see Mungo grieve. Before Mungo, King was Fox's best friend and could you imagine how much of an impact it would be if King, the corgi who metaphorically and literally blew up at Bino while uttering human curse words, was somber and calm to contrast Mungo who is in a similar state to how he used to be. There were other opportunities to "Twist the knife." with Bailey too, where to contrast Mungo's pain she has to tell him to imagine her position, how she has to explain why Olive, Ace and Rook can no longer see their uncle Fox anymore.

Also Fox's death felt pretty arbitrary. Like the reason why it had to be specifically, Fox was a little bit iffy. I know in the real world bad things happen to good people and sometimes I fall into this trap and only realize it in hindsight, but I feel like it would've had more narrative impact if there was a more concrete reason as to why it was Fox Sasha decided to kill that night. Maybe it could've happened that Sasha had a different initial target to kill and Fox being Fox intervened and tried to reach out to her good nature he thought she had and that was what got him killed. Then another knife twist moment could've been Sasha trying to use that to antagonize Mungo even more saying things like "He believed he could help me... believed in my better half... too bad for him... he believed in something that didn't exist. What. An. Idiot."

A lot of my points stem from this YT video by overly sarcastic productions where she talks about common media tropes She's got a tone of interesting videos dissecting tropes and what makes them work. She's also super funny.(This one)
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Krytus The Dreamer wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:01 am I'm not sure about "controversial" but I do disagree with how you handled Fox's death. Just to be clear, I don't mind that you killed him off it's the aftermath that kinda bugs me.

I might go deep into nitpicking territory and get really wordy but if you don't want to see this sort of stuff I'll just mark it as spoilers. I'm also not trying to say that how I would've written it is better by any means. There may be a few things I missed or forgotten about cause can you blame me? I just want to give my take on it and maybe discuss cause story crafting is fun.

My take on the whole situation is that we only got to see Mungo grieve. Before Mungo, King was Fox's best friend and could you imagine how much of an impact it would be if King, the corgi who metaphorically and literally blew up at Bino while uttering human curse words, was somber and calm to contrast Mungo who is in a similar state to how he used to be. There were other opportunities to "Twist the knife." with Bailey too, where to contrast Mungo's pain she has to tell him to imagine her position, how she has to explain why Olive, Ace and Rook can no longer see their uncle Fox anymore.

Also Fox's death felt pretty arbitrary. Like the reason why it had to be specifically, Fox was a little bit iffy. I know in the real world bad things happen to good people and sometimes I fall into this trap and only realize it in hindsight, but I feel like it would've had more narrative impact if there was a more concrete reason as to why it was Fox Sasha decided to kill that night. Maybe it could've happened that Sasha had a different initial target to kill and Fox being Fox intervened and tried to reach out to her good nature he thought she had and that was what got him killed. Then another knife twist moment could've been Sasha trying to use that to antagonize Mungo even more saying things like "He believed he could help me... believed in my better half... too bad for him... he believed in something that didn't exist. What. An. Idiot."

A lot of my points stem from this YT video by overly sarcastic productions where she talks about common media tropes She's got a tone of interesting videos dissecting tropes and what makes them work. She's also super funny.(This one)
You know? I have to agree with you. Fox's death really wasn't done too well and, if I did it nowadays, I would've done it somewhat similar to how you have it here. I chalk up how the original scene played out to it still being somewhat early in my writing career but, even so, I do admit I may have rushed into it.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Character deaths are really hard to do, especially for established characters. If they’re just meant to die, the reader still needs to be able to understand why the impact was the way it was, and also figure just how far-reaching the consequences could be. It’s hard to do on a “red shirt” character already, so don’t be too hard on yourself. It’s all a learning experience.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I admit I was upset that you killed of Fox because I wanted him to finally become the hero that he always wanted to be. Though I am over it now though it would have been nice to see others grieve like Krytus said.
Krytus The Dreamer

Like D-rock said. It's an experience no one's gonna get it right on their first try. I still look back on the first story I put up here and cringe at how I handled certain events. So you're not alone on that buddy.