HPU: Edge City

You guys apparently do this thing a lot?

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: HPU: Edge City

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Postcard wrote:"Yeah, that's... a little weird isn't it?" He asked, spotting Powell's Pancakes a little ways up and moving toward it at a slower pace. "I'm pretty sure it was bustling before," Charleston said, half to himself and half to the group. He was certain that he had heard the familiar drone of overlapping background conversations and feet clacking on polished floors.
"Maybe everyone went off to stores?" Selina thought out loud. "want to work up an appetite before eating."
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"Maybe?" Bear mumbled, deciding to head over and see who's left rather than stand around and speculate.

Luka and kai would see a large dog headed their way.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Postcard

Post by Postcard »

Charleston nods stoically at Selina's explanation, and watches Bear walk away from the group. In turn, he goes up to the counter at Powell's Pancakes.

"Blueberry pancakes, please. And a decaf coffee, if you have any." He is pleased that they did have a pot of decaf ready.

Charleston sits at a table next to the pets that Bear walked up to, and begins eating.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

The silence persists, and while palpable, doesn't seem cold. Everything is still happening normally, people and pets continue walking along between shops, talking between one another... they're just muted, barely close enough for the talking to be heard as near indescipherable murmers.

After a few moments, Skya finally comes into the food court with her phone in hand, looking around in a rather paranoid fashion. "Hey, can everyone gather up?" she calls, briefly breaking the silence as she steps close to one of the tables.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Buster wrote:"Maybe?" Bear mumbled, deciding to head over and see who's left rather than stand around and speculate.
Postcard wrote:Charleston nods stoically at Selina's explanation, and watches Bear walk away from the group.
Selina chose to follow after Bear but soon heard Skya calling them to gather together
Leafolawl wrote:"Hey, can everyone gather up?" she calls, briefly breaking the silence as she steps close to one of the tables.
"alright," Selina shrugged moving towards the table.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Bear holds up a paw, one finger up and opens his mouth as if to say something, but then just kinda pauses awkwardly like that for a moment, before returning his posture to it's default drooping state and obediently walking over to Skya.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Hawkfang42 wrote:"You're right, Kai, it's oddly quiet, really weird." Luka replied, feeling uneasy at the sudden silence, like the impending and inexorable was about to begin. "I don't like this. We should leave."
"Maybe someone spilled a tray or somethin'." Kai tilted her head up, trying to look over all the tables to see if everyone was staring at something. But on Luka's advice she was ready to bolt out if anything bad happened. and then... A voice cut through the silence.
Leafolawl wrote: "Hey, can everyone gather up?" she calls, briefly breaking the silence as she steps close to one of the tables.
"Yo!" Kai waved an arm over the cat and the slowly forming group. "Are you guys part of the umm, meetup group thingy?"
"Sleep is due to me... And I have a dream to live."

Book Log: I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Ref Ref!
furrygamer793

Re: HPU: Edgy City

Post by furrygamer793 »

Roarin wrote:
Hawkfang42 wrote:"You're right, Kai, it's oddly quiet, really weird." Luka replied, feeling uneasy at the sudden silence, like the impending and inexorable was about to begin. "I don't like this. We should leave."
"Maybe someone spilled a tray or somethin'." Kai tilted her head up, trying to look over all the tables to see if everyone was staring at something. But on Luka's advice she was ready to bolt out if anything bad happened. and then... A voice cut through the silence.
Leafolawl wrote: "Hey, can everyone gather up?" she calls, briefly breaking the silence as she steps close to one of the tables.
"Yo!" Kai waved an arm over the cat and the slowly forming group. "Are you guys part of the umm, meetup group thingy?"
"If we are on the same page, I believe they are." Luka replied to Kai, then called to Skya, "Hey, Skya! What's up?"
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
Postcard

Post by Postcard »

Leafolawl wrote:"Hey, can everyone gather up?" she calls, briefly breaking the silence as she steps close to one of the tables.
Charleston, only able to get a few mouthfuls of pancake, gives Skya his best are you kidding me face. Despite his stomach's protest, he gets up from the table and walks over to the group now gathering around Skya.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

Leafolawl wrote:The silence persists, and while palpable, doesn't seem cold. Everything is still happening normally, people and pets continue walking along between shops, talking between one another... they're just muted, barely close enough for the talking to be heard as near indescipherable murmers.

After a few moments, Skya finally comes into the food court with her phone in hand, looking around in a rather paranoid fashion. "Hey, can everyone gather up?" she calls, briefly breaking the silence as she steps close to one of the tables.
ah, that's why Nilo thought, paying a little bit more attention to the gathering crowd, but still stayed little back, not really a fan of crowds himself.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Skya flattens her ears. "It's a food court Charleston, no one's going to get angry if you bring your food." She sighs. "Hello Luka. Now, hello everyone, I'm Skya, and I'm here because I was told about a party. Who else came for that?" she inquires, scanning over the group and making a few quick glances around.

She gives Nilo a quick wave, but her expression doesn't change much as she does.
Love me right now! Done.
Postcard

Post by Postcard »

Leafolawl wrote:Skya flattens her ears. "It's a food court Charleston, no one's going to get angry if you bring your food." She sighs.
Charleston winces at the use of his full name by Skya. "It's Charlie," he says through gritted teeth. Ignoring Skya's question, he turns to retrieve his pancakes from the table and moves them near the group so he can continue eating.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Leafolawl wrote:Skya flattens her ears. "It's a food court Charleston, no one's going to get angry if you bring your food." She sighs. "Hello Luka. Now, hello everyone, I'm Skya, and I'm here because I was told about a party. Who else came for that?" she inquires, scanning over the group and making a few quick glances around.

She gives Nilo a quick wave, but her expression doesn't change much as she does.
"I came because you invited me, Skya."
Rp characters
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"I was only going to the book club, you guys told me about the party on the bus."
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Leafolawl wrote:Skya flattens her ears. "It's a food court Charleston, no one's going to get angry if you bring your food." She sighs. "Hello Luka. Now, hello everyone, I'm Skya, and I'm here because I was told about a party. Who else came for that?" she inquires, scanning over the group and making a few quick glances around.

Nilo waved back and step closer to the group "I'm here for that yeah"
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

furrygamer793 wrote:

"I came because you invited me, Skya."
"Same here!" Kai quipped as the light from her camera flashed over the group. "I was promised a meet-and-greet! And no cameras! Err, excluding my own of course."

Ref Ref!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

"yeah, that's why i came," Selina replied.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Skya seems a bit taken aback by Luka's answer. "Wait, I invited...?" She shakes her head. "I'll get to that after the things that make sense, 'cause I only just heard about it like an hour or two ago. You guys can talk about that because something's wrong with the party, from the invites on up. Bear, I want to hear about the book club."

The cat steps to an adjacent table, sitting down. "Everyone keep an eye out for any humans that are shady looking. This gathering was arranged by someone," she informs, taking a quick glance around herself.
Love me right now! Done.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

"So, Skya" Nilo called while following her, slightly lowered his voice gradually, hopefully if someone is listening in, they wouldn't be able to make out what he was saying
"So about this whole thing, can I suggest something?" the cat asked, his casual mannerism contrast the hint of concern in his voice.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Leafolawl wrote:Skya seems a bit taken aback by Luka's answer. "Wait, I invited...?" She shakes her head. "I'll get to that after the things that make sense, 'cause I only just heard about it like an hour or two ago. You guys can talk about that because something's wrong with the party, from the invites on up. Bear, I want to hear about the book club."

The cat steps to an adjacent table, sitting down. "Everyone keep an eye out for any humans that are shady looking. This gathering was arranged by someone," she informs, taking a quick glance around herself.
Luka's eyes widened in surprise, but slowly eased as, with a grin, he comments "Ohhhh... that was an attempt to freak me out, wasn't it. Ya got me." clearly not believing Skya
Rp characters
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

at first, bear seems alarmed, reluctantly handing over a note (the PM prompt) he pulled from his pocket, though when luka pipes up he seems to turn angry somewhat. "please stop that..." bear whimpers, apparently Luka's not the only one who thinks Skya's messing with them "It's not funny..."
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Skya takes the note, then pauses at the accusation to look between the two, apparently appalled. "Why would I try to scare someone like this? Because I'm trained for security, and thus, know how? That would be a direct violation; I'd lose my licencing—and that's ignoring the fines for inciting a panic.

" No, I need everyone calm so I can get all the details straight. This needs an incident report to E.P.D. at the least, and the more informative we can be the better." She then opens up the note to read. "What's the suggestion, Nilo?" the madura asks without looking up.
Love me right now! Done.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Still not believing, Luka grabs his phone and shows Skya the E-Mail "There, tell me how an E-Mail straight from your account could be faked? By the way, don't say hackers because they'd have no reason to do this!"
Rp characters
Postcard

Post by Postcard »

Charleston finishes his meal quietly, but not in peace. The cacophony of the group suddenly arguing and shouting has completely overtaken the previous eerie silence.

"OK, hang on. Hang on," he says, standing up from the table and looking around at the group before focusing on Skya. "I ripped the ad about the free pancakes out of the newspaper I found on the bus. What, you think someone planted it there?" He chuckles in disbelief, awaiting an explanation.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

"Well" Nilo smirked "since this interesting party appear to be a surprise to everyone" he then leaned in close, right up in Skya's "Why don't we go to a more.....open location, for a while?"
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"Don't care why just stopit..." Bear whined, seeming to be on the verge of tears, "All of you just stop. I just wanted a nice quiet day, and maybe find a new book or movie..."
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Skya looks poised to respond before Bear's plea seem to suck the words out of her. Instead, she gives Luka a disapproving look before stepping over to take the large dog's paw. "Lets just sit down for a bit, okay? As long as we stick together, I promise nothing will happen. Is that okay?"
Love me right now! Done.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

"I'm sure this is just a mix-up of some kind." Kai grinned, trying to sound reassuring as she stood up on her original table to survey the area around them. "Though I gotta admit this is kind of fun in way. I thought moving to a city like this might make life a bit boring..." She tilted her head, one of her floppy ears raising as she tried to see if she could listen to a conversation between two people a few tables down.

"So weird..." She mumbled, mostly to herself before fishing her cellphone out of her collar and tapping in a few words to a newly obtained number.
Hey Delilah, somethin weird is going on at the mall rn, idk what but stick close to your owner just in case. Oh this is Kai btw.

Ref Ref!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

furrygamer793 wrote:Still not believing, Luka grabs his phone and shows Skya the E-Mail "There, tell me how an E-Mail straight from your account could be faked? By the way, don't say hackers because they'd have no reason to do this!"
"Just because you don't know of a reason doesn't mean there isn't one," Selina chimed in. "If Skya's telling the truth and she didn't write those letters, someone cared enough to lure us all here. Maybe a... creepily personal marketing scheme to get us here?"
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
furrygamer793 wrote:Still not believing, Luka grabs his phone and shows Skya the E-Mail "There, tell me how an E-Mail straight from your account could be faked? By the way, don't say hackers because they'd have no reason to do this!"
"Just because you don't know of a reason doesn't mean there isn't one," Selina chimed in. "If Skya's telling the truth and she didn't write those letters, someone cared enough to lure us all here. Maybe a... creepily personal marketing scheme to get us here?"
Luka just stared at Selina, trying to understand what she said, until he finally replied with "Why would someone try to capture a random group of nerds?"
Rp characters
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Leafolawl wrote:Skya looks poised to respond before Bear's plea seem to suck the words out of her. Instead, she gives Luka a disapproving look before stepping over to take the large dog's paw. "Lets just sit down for a bit, okay? As long as we stick together, I promise nothing will happen. Is that okay?"
allowing himself to be led to a nearby chair, bear is entirely quiet while the others seem to be all over the place. after a while he just repeats "Promise." once in a hopeful tone, having managed to calm down a bit.

though it's clear he's making an active effort to ignore luka and selena's argument and not entirely succeeding.
Postcard

Post by Postcard »

Pinching where his muzzle meets below his eyes, Charleston draws a deep breath and lets out an audible sigh. He walks over to where Skya and Bear are and gives Bear a tap on the shoulder, letting his paw rest there a moment. "Settle down, big guy. Don't get worked up over something that no one has even explained." Sitting down, he turns his attention to Skya. Calmly, he asks, "Skya, is there something you aren't telling us?"
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Skya reaches behind the display tag of her collar-the two hands holding a flame-and fiddles about some before she pulls out a set of uniformly rectangular steel tags. "These are all training tags," she begins, looking at Bear as she spreads the three of them out to be counted. "Each one is a different promise, but they're all to keep everyone safe.

"It's on that note that I must say: No, Charlie. If..." She glances back up at Bear for a second. "If I did, I probably wouldn't be trying to figure out what's going on."
Love me right now! Done.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

"Okay, it's kinda getting annoying, Skya, and I promised another friend of mine I'd play .hack//Frägment with him." Luka said, but he stopped and looked back at Skya, adding "And if this is real, I'm not sure why you're staying here anyways."
Rp characters
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

furrygamer793 wrote: Luka just stared at Selina, trying to understand what she said, until he finally replied with "Why would someone try to capture a random group of nerds?"
"Not necessarily capture," Selina corrected. "Malls in recent years have started struggling financially. The celebration of the leash law removal is probably an attempt to get us to spend money here, maybe some marketing exec took targeted advertising too far."
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

though he doesn't say anything, bear seems to be getting calmer.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Well can’t we just, I dunno, ask someone what’s going on? Like hey! Hel-lo there!” Kai hopped off the table, waving at one of the muted people as she approached. “Hey, me and my friends were just wondering something. Do you mind if I ask you a question?”

Ref Ref!
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote: "Not necessarily capture," Selina corrected. "Malls in recent years have started struggling financially. The celebration of the leash law removal is probably an attempt to get us to spend money here, maybe some marketing exec took targeted advertising too far."
"maaaaaaybe" Nilo said with a little bit of doubt "But if that's true then they really should work on their marketing department, cause the only things I've bought for the last few months were skins" he chuckled
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Skya puts the tags back on her collar behind the identity tag, seeming satisfied with Bear having relaxed. "We'll get everything figured out. Just make sure to stay close to the group." She stands and turns to Luka. "Now I'm ready for you, if you'd like to have a seat," she says, motioning to a different nearby table.

-----

The man turn around to look at Kai, and is seemingly taken a bit aback at the lack of an arm. Still, he manages to pull a hand from his blue hoodie for an awkward wave. "Uh, can I help you?" he questions uncertainly, fixing how the black thin-framed glasses he's wearing sit on his face.
Love me right now! Done.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Leafolawl wrote:Skya puts the tags back on her collar behind the identity tag, seeming satisfied with Bear having relaxed. "We'll get everything figured out. Just make sure to stay close to the group." She stands and turns to Luka. "Now I'm ready for you, if you'd like to have a seat," she says, motioning to a different nearby table.
Luka takes a deep breath and sits down. "But it still doesnt make any sense, not to mention it means I don't get to go bowling."
Rp characters