Can we talk about Tarot?

Discuss the comic here
NHWestoN

Re: Can we talk about Tarot?

Post by NHWestoN »

Still, I gotta admit, Tarot looked genuinely happy with him back there in the hot baths together.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think she only liked him because he was calm and much less energetic, which also goes to my theory that Tarot only likes Peanut when he is quiet and peaceful which might not bode well for their relationship. :?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

I really feel bad criticizing that relationship as I like both characters and enjoyed them originally as a couple, but I feel like I keep seeing the worst of both of them is brought to the surface whenever they interact, sometimes I really do think Rick isn’t even trying to give more fuel to the flame when something comes up. Most of the relationships don’t need to be focused on that closely, but it’s honestly really hard not to at times with these two.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I just wonder why we can't look at this as normal banter between two people but instead have to constantly look at this as some sort of deeper look into the inner workings of their relationship. Peanut was just excited by the possibility that he was being given a potion to cure his head fuzzies and disappointed that it turned out to just be tea. Why does this have to make any statement at all about how he views Tarot? Why can't it just be a fun moment?
It's fine to analyze it in the way that you are, but it seems to be impeding your ability to enjoy any interactions between these two characters even when the interaction is very clearly meant to be taken as a fun joke and nothing more. It seems like you feel you need some confirmation that their relationship is alright before you'll allow yourself to take this in a light-hearted way. But it seems at this point like you're just getting in your own way. It's perfectly reasonable to read this as Peanut being an easily excitable goof and Tarot finding it a somewhat ridiculous but also somehow endearing trait of his. It may sound like I'm trivializing this, but why not read it in that way? Rick has left this relationship as is for however many years now with nary a word about it, all while having tons of interactions between them that seem to only "work" if you read it from this angle. Surely if he actually intended for their relationship to be one that is slowly drifting apart he wouldn't put them in so many comics where the joke would end up being us laughing at their disintegrating relationship. :?
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Obbl wrote:I just wonder why we can't look at this as normal banter between two people but instead have to constantly look at this as some sort of deeper look into the inner workings of their relationship. Peanut was just excited by the possibility that he was being given a potion to cure his head fuzzies and disappointed that it turned out to just be tea. Why does this have to make any statement at all about how he views Tarot? Why can't it just be a fun moment?
It's fine to analyze it in the way that you are, but it seems to be impeding your ability to enjoy any interactions between these two characters even when the interaction is very clearly meant to be taken as a fun joke and nothing more. It seems like you feel you need some confirmation that their relationship is alright before you'll allow yourself to take this in a light-hearted way. But it seems at this point like you're just getting in your own way. It's perfectly reasonable to read this as Peanut being an easily excitable goof and Tarot finding it a somewhat ridiculous but also somehow endearing trait of his. It may sound like I'm trivializing this, but why not read it in that way? Rick has left this relationship as is for however many years now with nary a word about it, all while having tons of interactions between them that seem to only "work" if you read it from this angle. Surely if he actually intended for their relationship to be one that is slowly drifting apart he wouldn't put them in so many comics where the joke would end up being us laughing at their disintegrating relationship. :?
People like to over-anaylze everything :)
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Obbl wrote:I just wonder why we can't look at this as normal banter between two people but instead have to constantly look at this as some sort of deeper look into the inner workings of their relationship. Peanut was just excited by the possibility that he was being given a potion to cure his head fuzzies and disappointed that it turned out to just be tea. Why does this have to make any statement at all about how he views Tarot? Why can't it just be a fun moment?
Listen, I admitted myself I was likely overanalyzing the comic, you didn’t even need to argue that with me. That being said, I wouldn’t even be looking that closely if I didn’t enjoy their relationship, heck I loved their interactions in the earlier comics, they had a really beautiful chemistry. That’s the problem though, their chemistry changed after dragon became a non-part of it, and honestly, Rick hasn’t made it clear how their relationship works now. I’m allowed to think that stuff should be gone over in more detail, right?
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Gameb18oy wrote:
Listen, I admitted myself I was likely overanalyzing the comic, you didn’t even need to argue that with me. That being said, I wouldn’t even be looking that closely if I didn’t enjoy their relationship, heck I loved their interactions in the earlier comics, they had a really beautiful chemistry. That’s the problem though, their chemistry changed after dragon became a non-part of it, and honestly, Rick hasn’t made it clear how their relationship works now. I’m allowed to think that stuff should be gone over in more detail, right?
Honestly I must say I think Obbl is right and sometimes the best way to analyze something is to take it as it is.
Peanut and Tarot did often show they had a good relationship, even IF Tarot is sometimes annoyed by Peanut, but it's never in a way where it doesn't work with them being together.
Also I think Rick did showed us how their relationship changed and one aspect is that Tarot still sometimes think she has to carry the burden of everything alone and Peanut tries to help her relax and be there for her in that regard.
Also don't take it as a personal attack, but:
If your overanalysing doesn't tell you anything, then you do something wrong.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

I can accept that advice
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I apologize if my wording came off as an attack, I'm trying to work on that.
I will say that there is something to be said about Rick extending these Tarot and Peanut interactions one more panel in which they have a sweet moment where Peanut says thanks for bringing the tea and they hug or something. I know I'd enjoy that, and it would help to establish more clearly where they are in their relationship. :D
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Obbl wrote:I apologize if my wording came off as an attack, I'm trying to work on that.
I will say that there is something to be said about Rick extending these Tarot and Peanut interactions one more panel in which they have a sweet moment where Peanut says thanks for bringing the tea and they hug or something. I know I'd enjoy that, and it would help to establish more clearly where they are in their relationship. :D
The apology is appreciated, so thanks for that, though I didn’t take it personally. As much as I tend to be this kind of person, I don’t like when someone takes a fictional element that seriously, it’s not worth too much effort. I do agree, would like them to be more cuddly or something, even Duchess and Bino aren’t against doing that and they are horrible for anyone besides who they currently are dating
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Part of me is thinking the two only cuddled for appearances because they knew that the cops would be searching the spa and Duchess does seem like the type of dog to want to put on.a performance for people if you will.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Peanut may be a little giddy ... Bino, on the other hand, is mildly deranged.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

But when you put ANYONE next to Tiger, they are a paragon of sanity. 8-)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

You're. NOT. suggesting. a Tiger-Bino. buddy. arc. ARE YOU!!?? How terrifying!!!

Sheer genius, AMazee, I love it!! ;)
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

NHWestoN wrote:You're. NOT. suggesting. a Tiger-Bino. buddy. arc. ARE YOU!!?? How terrifying!!!

Sheer genius, AMazee, I love it!! ;)
Haven’t they hated each other since the beginning of the comic? So much so they refused to work with each other when Zac went missing?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Yes, that's why the idea of their attempting to cooperate has such diabolical and explosive possibilities! (I'm off-topic, aren't I? :( )
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

NHWestoN wrote:Yes, that's why the idea of their attempting to cooperate has such diabolical and explosive possibilities! (I'm off-topic, aren't I? :( )
(A little bit yes)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Have we figured out yet where Tarot lives ...... ?
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

NHWestoN wrote:Have we figured out yet where Tarot lives ...... ?
I've been wondering that too. I'm not an expert on HP but I don't recall this ever being mentioned.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

It's been implied (a little) in the comic that she lives with Sabrina, and this has been confirmed by Rick at one point
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Thanks Obbl :D
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sorta suspected but nice to have it confirmed. Wonder how the D'Angeloe's reacted to the mess left behind by Mungo and the gang?

Tarot seems to have a habit of the Maxwell in her - and no apparent "parents" either.... Hmmmm...is there a backstory lurking THERE?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wonder if Tarot could sort of be a stray that Sabrina took in without her being legally adopted by Professor D'Angelo.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Does it not say in the short story narrated by Sabrina? Serious question, haven't gotten to that story yet. :?:
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I think that Tarot and Peanut make a nice couple, and that they truly do care about each other. Peanut helps Tarot, relax a little and Tarot tries to get Peanut to be a little more serious. I would also like to learn more about Tarot’s backstory, she is in my opinion, quite an interesting character.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

It's starting to occur to me that Tarot had shades of Custom Ink back in the earlier comics, though more dutiful and less of a 'spread the word' approach. That all dropped in the GALLIFRAX PROTOCOL.

I use to wonder if Dragon was Tarot's owner. Sabrina's dad is technically the owner of Tarot at this point, so I wonder what would happen if Tarot got married into the sandwiches? Sabrina Grape would be Tarot's sister-in-law? Mwahaha :3
Last edited by GameCobra on Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Dragon's connection with Tarot does seem about the earliest owner relationship we can identify in her little Pomeranian life? .....and when and how does Sabrina enter the picture as Far it's apprentice/subordinate? Before or after "enter the Spirit Dragon"? Sabrina and (maybe) Tarot are also older than the other pets, if that illuminates a anything.....
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would be amused if it came out that Sabrina owned Tarot though at times Tarot seems more mature than Sabrina if this is the case.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Tarot is kinda the stuffy fuddy-duddy sort.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Which is why I think one could easily mistake them for Tarot being the owner of Sabrina rather than the other way around if that is the case. :P
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Wonder if Tarot and her expedition have cottoned on to events at Keene's house yet ... Or they after more dire demons now (Eudoant and crew)?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Since they have Kitsune with them and I'm sure even if he couldn't actually see the demon he would sense something is up, I'm gonna go with them having to deal with OTHER demons at the moment. :?
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I keep wanting to reply to this thread "No, we cannot talk about Tarot," but can't quite justify it. Does that count as talking about Tarot?

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Dissension wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:00 am I keep wanting to reply to this thread "No, we cannot talk about Tarot," but can't quite justify it. Does that count as talking about Tarot?
Sure. Seemed like a useful off-route to divert from the Breel-Keene-Negabreel branch without "hyjacking" the focus. It is, after all, Rick's tapestry. :)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Suddenly gone buff, eh, sister?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't think she is as buff as she is more fluffy now. She doesn't look like she has muscles but she does look like she got bigger.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:08 pm I don't think she is as buff as she is more fluffy now. She doesn't look like she has muscles but she does look like she got bigger.
... and rather foreboding. That doesn't seem to have happened to the rest of the gang.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That might be because she is currently tapping into her psychic powers. As far as I know, nobody else in the team has them.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:52 pm That might be because she is currently tapping into her psychic powers. As far as I know, nobody else in the team has them.
... not to mention her mighty molars !!! :lol: :oops:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

They probably won't be too mighty anymore after biting a rock and hanging on with them.