2018/11/21 - Exciting Happenings

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2018/11/21 - Exciting Happenings

Post by D-Rock »

[2018/11/21 - Exciting Happenings]
Title Text: the only difference between the deluxe and the super deluxe is the super comes with complimentary cucumber slices you put over your eyes

Kinda sad when the awesome becomes so often it gets mundane.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Gbr23

Re: 2018/11/21 - Exciting Happenings

Post by Gbr23 »

Peanut: Now I’m gonna look at this wall for 30 minutes
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
yugijak

Post by yugijak »

So the thing that caught my attention is apparently Peanut is medicated and he effectively may have taken more than his intended doses.

No one else worried about that?
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

So did Peanut just ate everything from the medicine supply? :?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Ka-Spa!

Is the owner of that Spa company one R. Haywire (Esq.)?

I’m only willing to slum it so far,
Cold is too cold for me,
so I’ll splash out money for a hot spa...
and others will get in free.
It’s not that I’ll actually want them there
but I’m a good neighbour.
And Breel will say it’s only really fair
if they show good behaviour.
I have no objection to them having fun
provided they go away after.
Perhaps it’ll be nice, under the winter sun…
and I… kinda miss laughter.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I...don’t know how to respond to this.
Let me break this down. Keene, instead of getting a generator or just going somewhere warm, he orders an entire hot spring. That hot spring is delivered to him like Amazon. The worse part is Peanut is drugged out of his mind and somehow that is the strangest thing about this situation.
I think I liked my magic hot spring idea better but at least this explains how Peanut and Grape get involved with this story.

I can’t get over how we’ve gone from “mom and dad brought me here so I can pick out a sibling to unload my manic energy upon” to “heres a special treat Peanut.”
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

So much for Keene not solving his problems with money.
fenrirblack wrote:I can’t get over how we’ve gone from “mom and dad brought me here so I can pick out a sibling to unload my manic energy upon” to “here's a special treat Peanut.”
Doesn't worry me. It's not unusual for pet owners to wrap medicine in treats to give to their dog. I think we're mature enough as audience members for Rick Griffin to reveal that one of the main characters is on medication for ADHD or something.
Saturn381 wrote:So did Peanut just ate everything from the medicine supply? :?
Not everything in the cabinet, just stuff that looks like his treats.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Champion Wallace wrote:So much for Keene not solving his problems with money.
fenrirblack wrote:I can’t get over how we’ve gone from “mom and dad brought me here so I can pick out a sibling to unload my manic energy upon” to “here's a special treat Peanut.”
Doesn't worry me. It's not unusual for pet owners to wrap medicine in treats to give to their dog. I think we're mature enough as audience members for Rick Griffin to reveal that one of the main characters is on medication for ADHD or something.
Not QUITE for ADHD. More so he doesn't have an off the scale panic attack every time a truck beeps its horn outside their house.
Last edited by Welsh Halfwit on Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:So much for Keene not solving his problems with money.
Part of me isn’t surprised that Peanut is possibly ADHD. Thinking about it now I mean it’s kinda obvious. I think it’s just something that would never expect to actually come up though. It’s such a “real” thing to appear along side a ferret ordering a entire spa over the phone. Next thing you know Zach will be taking anti depressants while Tiger gets abducted by aliens.
I also feel like Peanut is mature enough to take his own meds without having to be tricked into taking them.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

fenrirblack wrote:
I also feel like Peanut is mature enough to take his own meds without having to be tricked into taking them.
His last comment seems to indicate he knows full well what they're doing. He's just letting them think he's clueless so they can help him. Good Dog.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I don’t know about that. The way he called it “treat from the medicine cabinet supply” makes me wonder. I’m sure there was part of him that knew what they were doing but I question if he fully understood exactly what it does to him. It’s like taking gummy vitamins. On one level you know that is medication but another part screams Candy!
Peanut “I’m bored. There are those special treats Mom gives me. I wonder what would happen if I ate a few.”
I at least hope he’s learned his lesson about taking the recommended dosage.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

So nobody commenting tonight has heard of, or used, "calming treats for dogs"
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I’ve never owned or really been around dogs so I have zero reference. I’ve never spent a lot of time with people so I also have zero reference.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Nope, this is a first.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN

Post by TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN »

Thanks For Exsplaning Rick
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

rickgriffin wrote:So nobody commenting tonight has heard of, or used, "calming treats for dogs"
I have to admit I have had a few dogs and I've never heard of any kind of calming treats. That is interesting.

Anyway, I guess this explains why the script preview from Twitter will happen.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

rickgriffin wrote:So nobody commenting tonight has heard of, or used, "calming treats for dogs"
As someone who just got a job at a pet store 2 months ago, and carries said treats on our shelves, I got this joke immediately and greatly appreciated it due to how many cases a week we get of this exact situation :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

How are they different from regular treats? Are they like treats filled with medicine? We do something like that to calm one of our dogs when he freaks out due to stormy weather
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Gameb18oy wrote:
How are they different from regular treats? Are they like treats filled with medicine? We do something like that to calm one of our dogs when he freaks out due to stormy weather
They likely are the kind that contain CVD/Hemp oils, used as a substitute for the straight up oil droppers, sprays, or bottles that can be ingested or applied directly. CVD/Hemp products are used for soothing joint pain, helping digest and process food, reduce stress and anxiety, or most importantly in this case settle down excitable or loud dogs. Many people buy them thinking they're treats and just give their dog or cat as many as they think they need for a given situation (or the pet breaks into the treat cabinet), but in reality they're intended to be used like over the counter medicine with doses varying on the pet's size and breed. Despite the treats typically having less mg than the oils per dosage, if used too frequently they can put a pet into an incredibly lax state (like Peanut is now), or cause them to constantly be drowsy and fall asleep.

Due to the juggling of laws and debates on the usage of hemp or related herbs in consumables, many companies will opt not (or straight up not be allowed) to advertise that the product is a "CVD/Hemp" product, and you'll usually have to be told by the store owners or read the ingredients to figure it out. This can make it hard or impossible to find in certain states, and the public shelving of said products is relatively new for most areas of the US.
ImageImageImageImage
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Gameb18oy wrote:
It would depend on the type. Most of the good ones have things like B vitamins that are good for stress along with taurine (a protein that is a building block for many others and that can help with anxiety among other things) and tryptophan (the precursor to the hormones your body uses to make you calm and sleepy).

There are also some "natural" ones containing flower extracts and even one containing hemp. I'd avoid those ones though as plants like that can be very toxic to animals if you're not careful.

Then for severe cases you can get medication that can act directly on the brain but they're less likely to be flavoured and more likely to be lower doses of the same drugs used in humans.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

AldyBilly

Post by AldyBilly »

does that mean peanut might have a panic attack or something?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Hlaoroo wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:
It would depend on the type. Most of the good ones have things like B vitamins that are good for stress along with taurine (a protein that is a building block for many others and that can help with anxiety among other things) and tryptophan (the precursor to the hormones your body uses to make you calm and sleepy).

There are also some "natural" ones containing flower extracts and even one containing hemp. I'd avoid those ones though as plants like that can be very toxic to animals if you're not careful.

Then for severe cases you can get medication that can act directly on the brain but they're less likely to be flavoured and more likely to be lower doses of the same drugs used in humans.
... Roo you kinda sound like a vet giving me all this information.

Though I’m kinda delighted that Rick knowing about something most pet owners don’t gives a mild idea of how he takes care of his dog... which weird thought, but never considered if he had any pets. Be odd if he just knows this and currently doesn’t... Dang it now I want to setup the most worthless thread to guess what Rick’s irl dog’s breed is assuming he didn’t get a mutt.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

AldyBilly wrote:does that mean peanut might have a panic attack or something?
Quite the opposite, he'll probably just be completely mellowed out for a while, possibly staring off into space, maybe go to bed early today. :P
ImageImageImageImage
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Gameb18oy wrote:[
... Roo you kinda sound like a vet giving me all this information.

Though I’m kinda delighted that Rick knowing about something most pet owners don’t gives a mild idea of how he takes care of his dog... which weird thought, but never considered if he had any pets. Be odd if he just knows this and currently doesn’t... Dang it now I want to setup the most worthless thread to guess what Rick’s irl dog’s breed is assuming he didn’t get a mutt.
Well, I did get through 3.5 years of veterinary studies before deciding to take a different career path :P Glad to know some of it stuck around. ^^
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, so much for embracing the middle-class life style, eh? That's one neck of a space heater...

We had a border collie for many years and he needed a mild sedation to get through thunder storms, poor lad. Otherwise, he'd chase the noise eight counties.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Ohhhhh... Meeeeee... Coddddddd...

That's a big spa.

... can't wait for the bills for all the fur clogs.

I'm pumped to see where this is going the more December approaches :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

The hemp ones?

Peanut definitely got into the Scooby Snax, and is gonna have the munchies soon.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Gameb18oy wrote: ... Roo you kinda sound like a vet giving me all this information.

He's a rough collie

Mystery solved
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Yay, collies … I miss Smiley, our border collie, gone a decade now...
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Heh, my dad sent me a video of our dog on her meds last night. Good zombie dogs those meds make.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Now that the medication mystery is solved and we all learned something new, I’m curious about how Keene is supposed to set up this spa. There is still no power and how is he going to connect it to a water source? I would assume the “deluxe” components means a generator and water tank but I’m not sure. Anyone have any background working with portable buildings they would like to share? :)
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

Well, I'm glad I read the comments before commenting. I was worrying that Peanut was going to overdose on Valium or something. (I wasn't thinking 'heart attack' – I was thinking 'forever sleep.') Good to know that there won't be any permanent effects.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well that didn't last too long did it? Keene throwing money at a problem because he hits a small bump in the road and can't see the obvious solution. I knew that was gonna happen.

Also even if there are no permanent side-effects, I worry that with him taking all those treats at once, their effectiveness will begin to wear off.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

So, is Keene ordering a big supply of gas? If so, it's the best choice, and then, let they switch on the heater for you. ;) I wonder what's the surprising thing happening outside, it even succeeded to wake Grape. :P Oh, Peanut is taking calming pills, as seems... :roll:
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Cesco wrote:So, is Keene ordering a big supply of gas? If so, it's the best choice, and then, let they switch on the heater for you. ;) I wonder what's the surprising thing happening outside, it even succeeded to wake Grape. :P Oh, Peanut is taking calming pills, as seems... :roll:
Actually he ordered something like a spa, and I said this in the last comic discussion alongside some others, I hope it’s kinda like anime and this arc is basically self-aware fan service
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Can't say that I have heard of "calming treats for dogs". If they're made of hemp or a related product, then does that make it like dog-nip? In that case it's the reverse of a strip from the early days of the comic.Image
The cape comes with the promotion.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Champion Wallace wrote:Can't say that I have heard of "calming treats for dogs". If they're made of hemp or a related product, then does that make it like dog-nip? In that case it's the reverse of a strip from the early days of the comic.Image
Heh, while I like the idea of it being dog-nip, considering it’s Peanut, I’m more of a fan of it being dog adderalll (adhd medication). I think we’d all not be surprised if Peanut had it... of course predicting why he’s taking medicinal treats could be meaningless as I doubt Rick will bring it up that often
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I was reminded of this one. Talk about opposites.

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:I was reminded of this one. Talk about opposites.

Okay, I kinda want to compile a list of all the books we know Peanut has read after these two comics, just like everyone else has been keeping track of his many Nintendo systems he’s had over the years.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Champion Wallace wrote:Can't say that I have heard of "calming treats for dogs". If they're made of hemp or a related product, then does that make it like dog-nip? In that case it's the reverse of a strip from the early days of the comic.
The Cat-nip equivalent for dogs is actually called "Anise", hemp products can be used for both cats and dogs. :)
ImageImageImageImage