HPU: Edge City O.O.C.

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Leafolawl

HPU: Edge City O.O.C.

Post by Leafolawl »

Welcome to the Edge City out of character thread. This is the opening post, where I shall walk you through what we are and the finer points of what makes us stand apart.

~~** General Description **~~

To give a general sense of the genre and setting for those who weren't around for the previous run, Edge City will be a thriller based role play. You, the pets, live in a mildly urban city that appears to be innocent, but a lot of highly paranormal activity happens around. The details aren't going to be clear until we have done a few arcs, but it'll be clear when we get into motion.

To describe the idea more in depth, Edge City is a lot more than meets the eye. The aim of this role play as a setting is to pit characters in strange scenarios where things are no longer right, adrenaline pumping situations of fear as they handle unknown creatures, and the unnerve and/or excitement of uncertainty for what tomorrow might bring. An exploration of the ideas behind survival horror settings, where the normal have to figure out how to handle supernatural encounters, with only a guarantee that should they fail, something terrible shall befall them.

As such, this is a high adventure role play setting, though I will give time between the adventure arcs to allow players to have characters interact without the stress. The complication with this is new players are likely going to need to come in at the start of adventure arcs, or during the downtime arcs where characters have time to relax. Exceptions will happen, of course, so feel free to ask at any point, and we can discuss ways that it might be possible.

~~** Finer Points **~~

Most of you have probably already noticed that Edge is a little strange mechanically at this point. This is likely to continue, as working with your medium to play up setting can help add to the fun, and I hope I can achieve that.

One of the odd systems I will have in place is guest GM participation. I welcome players and readers alike to slide me ideas, and/or help to create a world of strange occurrences large and small. I already have the first four arcs planed, so we have buffer room for people to come up with ideas, myself included. Separate from a co-GM should I ever need one, a guest GM's job is about presenting a new idea for paranormal activity and seeing to it that it plays correctly, either by direct involvement, or rough instructions on how to handle things.

Even anonymous guest GMs are allowed. Maybe the arc's a player, maybe it's me... might even be a reader. I'll never tell if you ask to be anonymous when you start that round of guest GM. Just remember to keep watch for announcements, as the position will be first come first serve, with only prepared participants having higher priority.

The other system I'll be hoping to use is going to be unique to being caught. Everything will have its own thing it does to a character, and many to different severity. Of course, this is mostly superficial. If your character gets caught, we'll talk about what effect it might have so to make sure players have as much control over things as possible. All effects will be temporary in some form or another, so if you want to have your character go back to normal, let me know, and we can make it happen. The opposite is also true, where you may ask to make something last longer, or even become permanent.

More a thing for in case anyone does get caught, which might not even happen.
(I don't have any catchy or descriptive names for it yet, so feel free to suggest names if you've got something.)

~~** City Description **~~

Edge is a small city that's less active than most—owed to part of the industries in the area dying out—which has given the place an almost dilapidated appearance in certain areas. The city, however, has not gone fully into obscurity. The suburbs remain dotted with small stores, gas stations, and parks, and the city holds the heart of business with major stores and services such as the police department, schools, and entertainment venues.

Twenty to thirty-five percent of the standing buildings in Edge City are empty and have been standing for lease for decades, some holding stories of haunts and tragedy. Most are fabrications of the youth and pets, but some stories of tragedies hold some merit.

With a new ‘pet-friendly’ ordinance, licensed pets are able to regularly use public buses without trouble or question, so transportation between even the furthest edges of the suburbs and the heart of the city isn’t something difficult to manage. The only thing is that there is an animal curfew, that pets caught outside after will be taken to a temporary rescue, and their parents/owners given a small fine.

-- History --

Edge initially started as a small boomtown due to the timber industry becoming focused on a portion of the forest to its west, and the opportunity taken by many to use the plains to its east for agricultural purposes. However after a short while, the timber industry’s opportunity near Edge was crushed after the forest became restricted as a nature preserve, causing a great deal of businesses in the city to go under due to the sudden decrease of working residents.

Since the area had quieted down so much in the recent years, the city of Edge is working on new ways to bring commerce and business back. By adding exhibits and renovating the lumber mills and lodges into camping lodges in hopes of drawing in tourism to help aid in the city's financial situation, though Edge is sustained primarily by workers and residents from the nearby plains, and the businesses that had taken root in the city itself in the past.

-- Location --

Edge City a place that lives up to its name for its unusual location which borders a very large forest on one side, and an expanse of semi-arid plains on the other, both sides with fringing suburbs and the heart of the city at the border of these two areas. A few miles out, one can find docks on a lake, with one of the new camping lodges nearby.

-- Notable Places --
  • East Suburbs
    • Very widespread homes and a few small stores, outside of the city limits and not far from an interstate highway. Further properties are small farms, or villas for the more wealthy.
    West Suburbs
    • Closely packed neighborhoods in a woodland setting. The majority of the city's populace lives here, though there are a few more expensive homes here for the rich with no interest in acreage of their dwellings. Rumored to be an area with an extensive history for disappearing pets.
    Garrison Animal Training Center
    • The largest privately owned service animal training facility in state. Has training programs specialized for the City police department, including rebate plans for owners that have their pets in active duty for a minimum of one year following completion of training.
    Downtown Edge
    • Arguably what was the original setting of Edge City. Many of the buildings in the area are ancient, and have been condemned for years. Squaters may often be found here during storms for shelter. Despite the age and neglect, most of the structures are still rather sturdy.
    Edge City's Heart
    • The seat of the city, where the bustle happens, and also home to a few townhouses. The area has a large park, used for events and parties for the wealthy; a veterinary hospital; and a museum showcasing the town's history in lumbering, as well as more general exhibits.

~~** Character Sheet **~~

Character sheets are currently to be submitted via private messaging.
Character Sheet: Edge City wrote:Character Name(Color): John Smith, #0080FF(Example)

Type:

Species/Breed: (Some exotic pets accepted, at GM discretion)

Neighbourhood: Edge City

-----Appearance-----

(Describe your character's physical details here. Please include information including color of the collar; tag shape((or unique tag design if you feel inclined)); accessories; and interesting details about their personal effects or person such as: notable chips in the tags; embroidery in the collar or special collar design; and/or scars, if any of these criteria are applicable.)

-----Personality-----

(Describe your character's personality here. Please include at least one hobby beyond a reflection of their parent/owner's job(s), or two if they lack interest in parent/owner's work; Two dislikes; and one fear.)

-----Miscellaneous-----

(Include any additional information you deem important here, such as if the pet has a public appearance, places one might encounter this pet, or whatever else doesn't fit into the other categories.)

Parent/owner occupation(s): (Can be a stray with G.M. approval, will require some extra detail in Miscellaneous area.)

S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats: (Standard 42 max rule stands)
  • Strength:
    Perception:
    Endurance:
    Charisma:
    Intelligence:
    Agility:
    Luck:
    (Please do not include example quotes with ability scores.)
The only hardline rule I have for character creation is that there's no proof of anything that's not a normal pet. Proof of ghosts, vampires, demigods, superpowers, magic, or whatever else you might have is strictly forbidden.

~~** A Friendly Reminder **~~

Here, I'd like to address and clarify a few things on rules of the forums and roleplay section and our continued stance on them, as they might come up.

ONE: All main player characters are alive, and will remain alive. Main characters are not allowed to die, as by the subforum rules. N.P.C.s and one offs may end up vanishing, but we are highly unlikely to ever touch the details for what's happened to them.

TWO: Injury happens, but there's no reason to be graphic about it. Making repeated note of a twisted ankle is fine, it inhibits a character's ability to run—and being chased by paranormal creatures, running will be normal. Things of this nature are fine, and adds to the tension. Sometimes you cut yourself a bit, you leave the scent of blood in your wake. This skirts a little, but because this is a horror/thriller environment, we are firmly in PG-13, and a little blood is fine, and we even have a good example: https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... the-enemy/

We can see Gale stitching up a wound. She's not bleeding much, though. To follow this example, a mention or strong implication of blood being drawn is okay.

But remember, graphic detail of either of these things is against forum rules. The lighter we are on this, the better for everyone.

THREE: Scripting is still strongly discouraged. No one can die, that doesn't mean no one can get caught. It just comes with different impact, of which I won't be strongly enforcing. You made your characters to play them, and if the effect of being caught makes your character effectively unplayable as you intended, I am always here to talk about how we can make the effects not character breaking.

Not even my arcs are planed beyond "what is it?" and "what is its goal?" The less demanded, the more gained, mostly in stability and character expression, and ideally that means more fun that lasts longer.

This list might see expansion as we go on.

~~** Active Details **~~

Guest GM: None

Paranormal arc: False

Threat: None

~~** Players **~~

Active:
  • Leafolawl
    • Main
      • Skya ??? (#608A8A) - ???
      Secondary
      • Delilah Vern (#8040FF) - ???
    RandomGeekNamedBrent
    • Main
      • Selina ??? (#00BF00) - ???
    Serence Frostbite
    • Main
      • Nilo ??? (#FF0000) - ???
    Hawkfang42
    • Main
      • Luka Powell (#0000FF) - ???
    Postcard
    • Main
      • Charlston ??? (#BF8000) - ???
    Roarin
    • Main
      • Kai ??? (#FF8000) - ???

Inactive
  • Buster
    • Main
      • Bear ??? (#BF8080) - ???
Last edited by Leafolawl on Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:29 am, edited 14 times in total.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
Legotron123

Re: Edge City Redux

Post by Legotron123 »

Was this the one that had Slenderman in it? I remember trying to join that one when I was young and stupid and my parents made me use this parental guidance browser that didn’t have spellcheck and crashed every fifteen minutes so I’d always have to completely redo my posts.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Slenderman, wow, been awhile since I even heard about that creepypasta
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

It is. I've yet to determine whether or not that one will make a return.
Love me right now! Done.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

yeah i remember reading the old Edge City like a long creepypasta back then, was pretty interesting, so if we can get this up and running, then I'm in as well ^^
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

... so how do characters work like in this? Like are the copypasta creatures as well, I could imagine it be fun playing the spirit of a ghost who teases both how he died and what’s keeping him from resting in peace. Not sure on animal yet
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

nah the pets are the vulnerable/foolish mortal in this RP, basically living a normal life until suddenly paranormal activities happen around them. If we use the the Slenderman game/story as an example, your characters are the victims. Your characters can have a bit of knowledge about these things, like that ghost whisperer lady in "Insidious" , but that's about it
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Personally, if we’re reintroducing the RP, could we consider that idea?
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Unfortunately, no. Characters are all going to be alive, and all lacking super powers. Ghosts, immortals, psychics, magicians, and other such player characters aren't going to be allowed.

It's so that characters are all on the same level. Ghosts don't have to worry about getting hurt in the same way the living do, so in order to put pressure on them, there would have to be an entirely different set of threats. Psychics and magicians have powers and insight normal pets don't, and would likewise need unique threats to put pressure on. Immortals is a bit self descriptive in its issues.

If I personally were to describe the type of narrative I'm hoping to attain, a Call of C'thulhu game would be a very rough outline of atmosphere.

To make it completely clear:

You're normal.

You are a normal pet, in what is supposed to be a normal city, who should be doing normal things. You're the pet of a supermodel? You should be enjoying a pampering at the pet salon. Police dog? You should be sniffing out clues for your partner. Unnerving as it is to sometimes mistake the human's hand that is trimming your fur for a set of rusty medical instruments, you're just doing normal things.

If you'd like to be something specific, you can talk to me about it, but I am highly unlikely to approve it if your character itself is supernatural.
Love me right now! Done.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

This is mostly unrelated rambles, but it’s one of those that’s been stuck in my head for a while, and I just want to mention it to someone. When I tried to join the original, my character was going to be a dog belonging to someone from the government investigating the strange happenings around town. He’d pride himself on being desensitized to most forms of horror, but he’d freak out when encountering an all powerful eldritch being like the Slenderman. I was planning on him become increasingly frustrated with the fear he felt after not feeling it for so long, and I think I might have also had plans for him to turn dark and become an Alex like figure, but none of that panned out, since I never wound up joining, mainly due to that shoddy browser. Probably not going to join this one, but I do have some monster and plot ideas I wouldn’t mind sharing in a PM.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

i think there was 1 character in the old Edge City that introduced themself into the story by saving 2 other characters from a paranormal threat, which indicate that they has a sort of paranormal connection or at least has enough knowledge about these things to affect them. Are we gonna cut that possibility out as well? Can you be a paranormal nerd of a self practice occultist and be able to know somewhat what you're dealing with ?
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Normal is relative. If the pets' parents/owners are supernatural enthusiasts or their job is paranormal investigation, then it would make sense that the pet isn't as easily shaken by the supernatural, but I'd rather not build up hopes too much with character design until we have enough players to actually work on the designs. So far we've only got two guaranteed.
Love me right now! Done.
FlanDab

Post by FlanDab »

Interesting. Pets have to be "normal," but could their parents/owners be somewhat supernatural like they're secretly lizardmen planning to overthrow the government, or ghost hunters with a clerk as a day job.
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a word can paint a thousand pictures."
Pierre - 0047ab | Wazan - FF0040

May I interest you in my RP, the Imaginarium?
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

No, parents/owners cannot be truly supernatural people or creatures either.

Clerk day job while being a ghost hunter is fine though, as most are just paranormal investigators who focus in on ghost haunts. Scam psychics are fine.

Even a lack of them is fine, but I'll be keeping those to a minority. Strays are a thing I will allow.

Though, again, I will ask people not work on character sheets until we have players. I do have plans for this.
Love me right now! Done.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I'd be interested in rejoining this one, so add me to the count
Leafolawl wrote:Clerk day job while being a ghost hunter is fine though,
good to hear my old character may still work here, though her parents were full time ghost hunters but that's easily changed. can also make a few tweaks if need be.
Legotron123 wrote:my character was going to be a dog belonging to someone from the government investigating the strange happenings around town. He’d pride himself on being desensitized to most forms of horror, but he’d freak out when encountering an all powerful eldritch being like the Slenderman. I was planning on him become increasingly frustrated with the fear he felt after not feeling it for so long,
that's actually pretty similar to my character: the skeptic, trust science type cat getting frustrated with the unexplainable phenomena
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
FlanDab

Post by FlanDab »

Maybe I could have a character whose owners are aspiring alchemists + artistic license in alchemy. Their house is portly with odd decorations here and there. Is this still legal?
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a word can paint a thousand pictures."
Pierre - 0047ab | Wazan - FF0040

May I interest you in my RP, the Imaginarium?
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

I have things to do with character design that I hope everyone will find interesting.

So, if you really want to get on that, I will provide.

I would still prefer we have a few more players, as I don't quite have a confirmed five(myself being included in that), but half the draw is character design.

And since we're starting on that part, I'm going to ask that everyone trust me on this.
Send them to me exclusively in D.M. Do not post character sheets anywhere else as of yet.

---Edit Line--

Moved to opening post.

Please refrain from including example quotes next to stat scores. Instead, a quote can be placed beneath everything placed in Personality.

---Edit two---

I forgot to mention. Just like in the first, strays will be welcome. I would like, however, if we hold off on strays until after the first arc.
Last edited by Leafolawl on Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love me right now! Done.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

I just got the first character in and the discussion that was had... I might have made the wrong impression.

Your characters don't need to be ordinary. They can be extraordinary in lifestyle if you like, I don't care about that. Live in a skyscraper penthouse, or a luxurious suburban home with a supermodel, or T.V. survivalist, or a neurosurgeon rocket scientist(even though there's no practical overlap in those jobs as far as I'm aware).

The only thing is they cannot be ghostly, psychic, or truly magical, and that there's no proof of supernatural whatever you may have.

Unrelated, I'm sorry I forgot to include a gender field in the character sheet, that's been added in.
Love me right now! Done.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Hopefully I make no offense when I say this, but considering the stuff that is supposed to happen in this RP, I figure the banned stuff is what people would gravitate to anyway. I mean, it be kinda fun figuring out rules to impose on yourself as a ghost or a vampire to keep a player from getting too powerful, like making it impossible for a ghost to possess people, so they tend to need to be persuasive to do anything, or since a vampire isn’t allowed to bite people, they have to get blood from other locations like hospitals. Also, where else could I play a Gryphon or something besides a place where magical and supernatural phenomena often happen? Sorry if I’m seeming pushy, I just don’t get why you would restrict that stuff
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Because it's a thriller/horror style role play. You're not the supernatural thing, because the supernatural things are inherently evil.

I do see where you're coming from with how that might be interesting, though. Maybe that could be made its own setting, "Pets of the monsters in horror."
Love me right now! Done.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

We've been given a rare all clear for a four players start. Once I have everyone's character sheets, the weirdness will begin. I know we're already on the side of "This isn't how these usually work," but that's going to be part of the fun. I'll adjust the opening post once I've got a clean edit written.
Love me right now! Done.
Leafolawl

Re: HPU: Edge City O.O.C.

Post by Leafolawl »

Still waiting on some character sheets due to complications, but have added a description of the city's area itself.
Love me right now! Done.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

welp, I finally managed to send a character sheet to Leaf, sooo I think we're about reeady to start ? How many of us are still here ?
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Flandab has been missing for three weeks, so I can't really rely on them to be here. However, GrimD@rk expressed interest. If I can get something from them, we're still good...

I can't in good conscious keep this as just the OOC for too much longer though. If we can't get anything out soon, I'm going to have to call this a bust for now.
Love me right now! Done.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

ah, wwell, finger cross then
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Is this different from the old, dead, one?
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Yes. The first few things you'll notice is differences in the town description, but speaking more to how I'd like it to play, I'm not going to let problems stack and compound to the point doing anything can get your character caught up in something negative. I think that's part of what stopped it before. Too much going on at once.
Love me right now! Done.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Leafolawl wrote:Flandab has been missing for three weeks, so I can't really rely on them to be here. However, GrimD@rk expressed interest. If I can get something from them, we're still good...

I can't in good conscious keep this as just the OOC for too much longer though. If we can't get anything out soon, I'm going to have to call this a bust for now.
Speaking of Grim, like Flan, I’m not sure if I’ve seen him for awhile
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

He's been on, I saw that much at least.
Love me right now! Done.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Good news is I have enough sheets in that we can start.

Mixed news, with the arrival of my niece, it'll be a little slow to start as everything gets settled with a new baby coming into the house. I am still working on getting details set up, though.
Love me right now! Done.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

yay ! we can start!
and no worries, real life comes first after all ^^
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"Well i hope to see you all on the other side... er, if you don't mind that is. you don't actually have to come see me... not that i'm saying i dont want you to i do, mostly, unless you're scarry... um... oh gosh i'm doing it again... topic... topic... uhhh..."
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

That chewed into everything far more than expected. New baby, computer restarting and eating everything I'd written(Good job, Windows), then holidays...

Train wreck of consecutive events over though, we're beginning. Took me far longer to get to this point than I wanted, but only so much humanly possible.

If anyone has any questions, I am all ears.
Love me right now! Done.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Oh, I didn't realize the whole characters need a specified gender, was that because of my character's name?
Nope, not at Powell's Pancakes, disappointing, he even looked for whipped cream so he can have whipped cream with a side of pancake
Rp characters
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Normally, you should. You just used "he" enough in your sheet that I figured it'd be pretty obvious.

Also, you're doing that thing where you're taking a post that can be used and impatiently tossing new things onto it to urge things along. It can take a few days before some players even get on, so relax. Your post isn't being ignored.
Love me right now! Done.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

hoooray, we began !
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

welp, Luka's full name has been revealed.
Rp characters
Postcard

Post by Postcard »

I'd like to join this if it isn't too late.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

You can join, but I would recommend checking out other parts of the forums as well. There's forum games, and discussions spanning far beyond the scope of just the comic.

Also, be sure to read the opening post thoroughly. While it's not requirement to follow it to the letter, it's certainly not there just for show.
Love me right now! Done.
Postcard

Post by Postcard »

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been lurking around and getting a feel for the forums in general.

I completely understand if there's some apprehension because I'm brand new here. I've read everything Hlaoroo has posted regarding RPing here and I have a pretty good handle on what to do/not to do. That being said, this will be my first time RPing on a forum so if I do something wrong please make sure to let me know. The last thing I want to do is ruin everyone's good time.