Nostalgia. The thread in which we reminisce about stuff

For playing all sorts of silly I-don't-know-whats

Moderators: Render, ArcWolf

Beagle

Re: Nostalgia. The thread in which we reminisce about stuff

Post by Beagle »

I miss when the PS1 and even the N64 were extremely popular. When I was little, we went camping a lot, and I had this friend that used to camp right down the road from me. We spent our summers riding our bikes by day and playing Smash Brothers game by night. (I apologize if I got the name of the game wrong; anyone can correct me if they need to.)

Also, Hey Arnold! was one of the best shows ever on Nickelodeon. Just sayin'. :P
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Beagle wrote:I miss when the PS1 and even the N64 were extremely popular. When I was little, we went camping a lot, and I had this friend that used to camp right down the road from me. We spent our summers riding our bikes by day and playing Smash Brothers game by night. (I apologize if I got the name of the game wrong; anyone can correct me if they need to.)

Also, Hey Arnold! was one of the best shows ever on Nickelodeon. Just sayin'. :P
Hey Arnold was one of my favorite shows!!!
I remember watching that and Angry beavers with my dad all the time!!!!!

I have some very fond memories playing Alladin for the Snes
so addictive!
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Never really liked Hey Arnold, sorry.

Also, Putt Putt Travels Through Time.

Thirdly, is there any particular reason that this topic is in the Forum Games subforum? It isn't really a game by my understanding.
Image Image
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Seth wrote:
Beagle wrote:I miss when the PS1 and even the N64 were extremely popular. When I was little, we went camping a lot, and I had this friend that used to camp right down the road from me. We spent our summers riding our bikes by day and playing Smash Brothers game by night. (I apologize if I got the name of the game wrong; anyone can correct me if they need to.)

I think we're going to get along. :P I loved the Angry Beavers!
I also remember watching The Amanda Show and As Told By Ginger (Okay guys, you can shut up with the girl jokes now. Or should I bring up MLP? :P).

Oh and remember when Windows 98 and dial-up were the household standard?! :lol:

@Pea- Well, ceets started this thread over a year ago, so I don't really know. It would make sense to move it to the Not The Comic main forum, but if you and the other moderators want to keep this thread in its original home, that's fine too. It's up to y'all.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Beagle wrote:
Seth wrote:

I think we're going to get along. :P I loved the Angry Beavers!
I also remember watching The Amanda Show and As Told By Ginger (Okay guys, you can shut up with the girl jokes now. Or should I bring up MLP? :P).

Oh and remember when Windows 98 and dial-up were the household standard?! :lol:

@Pea- Well, ceets started this thread over a year ago, so I don't really know. It would make sense to move it to the Not The Comic main forum, but if you and the other moderators want to keep this thread in its original home, that's fine too. It's up to y'all.
I watched some episodes on netflix this summer, exactly as awesome as I remember!
:)
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
QRS3000

Post by QRS3000 »

These are a few books that I enjoyed as a child. They are "Amelia Bedelia" by Peggy Parish, "Rupert Bear" (I can't remember the author), "Spot the Dog" by Eric Hill and "Sammy the Seal" by Syd Hoff.
Has anyone here played a video game called "Eggs of Steel" for the PlayStation (the first one)? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfvg795l6sk This is a short sample of that game.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Putzing around in a yard sale and came upon a battered Little Golden Book, Socks. It was one of those little books all three of my kids loved when they were three and four, and the missus and I pretty much read it to death. We've always been careful with books and, because this one was so delicate and so beloved, we were almost wearing hazmat suits when it finally began to disintegrate.

In the end, I'm pretty sure one of the kids tossed it out. Neither of their parents would have been so cold (or practical).

So, yeah, I bought it. What else can you get for a dime these days? ;)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

So much of the old forests around my neighborhood have been cut down. Where was the Lorax when we really needed him?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Last week, I finished reading a book called Lost Objects. The contents were fifty stories, none more than a page in length where various writers reminised about a thing they had owned, something that had value for them emotionally, symbolically, or commemorative, and they "lost" it. It might have been misplaced, destroyed, stolen, thrown out accidentally or by someone else, or just suddenly not around anymore, but each item had enough resonance in their past that they still recalled it and regretted its lost. Not surprizingly, many of these things were from childhood - a toy, a doll, a game, a PVC character, an artcle of clothing like a cap or a pair of colorful sock, some sports item or other personal memorabilia.

Then, a couple of days ago, I chanced upon a piece of art depicting a happy child with an inflatable beach toy, a shark, that he was hugging with absolute joy. It made me remember a dolphin swim toy my youngest daughter had, almost as big as she was. She bought it "with her own money" and kept it in a special corner of her room. Part of the rituals that marked the coming of summer was digging up the dolphin, inflating it, and carting her laytex pal off to the lake, pond, pool, beach, wherever she was going to be swimming that hot day. She will be turning forty next year and, although dolphin is now relegated to the basement, she still treasures him.

So, what item of value have you lost - or worked hard to preserve - that is your "nostalgic treasure"?