Non-HPU: Beacon of Hope

You guys apparently do this thing a lot?

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Krytus The Dreamer

Re: Non-HPU: Beacon of Hope

Post by Krytus The Dreamer »

"I get it. We've all got our strengths and it's not smart to force everybody to be the same." Kaleb's ears twitched when the elevator signaled they had reached their destination. "After you." Kaleb gestured to Sana before they continued walking.

"With my power set, I'm forced to use my teeth, claws, and tail to fight, but how about you? What sort of equipment do you need for the field?" Kaleb asked trying to avoid awkward silence.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Oh," Sana remarked, moving along the way with her friend beside her. "pretty much just a gun - nothing too big - a computer and some battle armour that I can move in, Kaleb. One of the ones I used to work with said my enthusiasm is my biggest weapon. Because he doesn't know how else I've survived!" She laughed brightly at that.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

"...Engines are looking good...stabilizers are functioning...beacon's working..." mumbled Hawk as he checked over his ship in preparation for take-off. A decommissioned military gunship from Dychra, the Dychra Phoenix had been extensively modified over the years to be, in short, both a mobile home for Hawk and a way to transport bounties when the need arises. With it's heavy armor and custom rotating quad-guns, it could also hold it's own in a skirmish and outrun them if everything went south. Today, however, it was going to be used to transport him and Kaleb down to New Rome's surface and nothing more, something that did disappoint Hawk but not by much. "Wonder where Kaleb is..." Hawk wondered as he stepped down the ramp, then sitting down on a nearby crate. He glanced around the hangar bay at the other ships, seeing what the Beacon had to offer. Outside of the few Sparrows, the other ships, in his eyes, weren't that impressive looking. "Pretty sure half of these wouldn't survive a scuffle against even those pirate in the Kilmarlic Quadrant, 'member those guys?" His OtherSide laughed. "Yeah, I remember them. Took over that coastal village on Quaris, didn't they?" Hawk nodded. "Yep. I'll give them credit, they stood their ground against us...but hey. That tsunami helped out big time there." His OtherSide nodded with a smile as Hawk relaxed on the crate for a bit.
Last edited by SeanWolf on Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Krytus The Dreamer

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:00 am "Oh," Sana remarked, moving along the way with her friend beside her. "pretty much just a gun - nothing too big - a computer and some battle armor that I can move in, Kaleb. One of the ones I used to work with said my enthusiasm is my biggest weapon. Because he doesn't know how else I've survived!" She laughed brightly at that.
As Sana continues the conversation Kaleb steps onto the armor setup platform. A slew of mechanical arms brings the armor Hivemind recommended and began piecing it together on Kaleb's body (kinda looks like the Paw patrol movie armor but on an adult dog). "Well- Ouch- You know what they say- Ouch- If it ain't- ouch- broke ouch- don't fix it. ouch-"

Once everything was in place and the platform lowered Kaleb hopped off and began inspecting his own body. As far as he could tell it wasn't too restrictive and managed to cover him. "Time for the moment of truth."

Kaleb closed his eyes and concentrated allowing his body to morph and unfurl into its new larger state. A few seconds passed and Kaleb's transformation finished with two horns protruding from his head. Kaleb circled around his body inspecting what little of his armor he could see if there were any tears. However, since there didn't appear to be any Kaleb found some comfort in wearing something akin to clothing again, even if it already felt foreign to his new animal form. "Great, I think it works, but I'm still waiting on hivemind for the samples I requested and I should probably get the lowdown on how this armor functions. Hopefully, it can camouflage too so it doesn't impede the chameleon DNA I'll be getting soon. I'll probably be stuck here for a bit. If you've got your gear already Ms.Sana you can go ahead, I wouldn't want to keep you from the team you're deploying with."

Kaleb's animal registry
Therian Shift: Bull's Mass & horns
Thinking capacity: 8/8
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Don't think I've been given a team yet," Sana said, putting on some small armour that had been left out for her. She checked the firearm. and wrist computer. "Yup. Non lethal. Heh. Like I say, I've not been assigned a team yet. If he wants me on a different one, I'm sure he'll tell me."
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Legotron123 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:52 am Kolt seemed very confused and concerned by some of what Hivemind was saying. "Wait, but if all that's privatized, what's preventing people from starving or getting sick and just dying if they don't have money?" He asked, clearly never having encountered a capitalist society before.
"In theory, private charities and nonprofits." Hivemind said. "In practice though, such charities are usually vastly underfunded and often use large chunks of their donations either to advertise and ask for more donations, or they put it in the pockets of whomever is running the "charity" with very little going to the people they claim to help. As a result, the people are left in desperation and resort to thievery and murder if they can't find jobs. And often the jobs they do find involve working for local gangs, or submitting to indentured servitude." the robot explained. "In short, their options are to steal, join a gang, become a slave, or starve to death."
SeanWolf wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:29 pm "I...see." Tobias replied, disappointed with the answer given and especially with Hawk as he watched him leave the room. "Then I apologize; I don't know what good my skills would be to the Champions in this situación. I joined you to help the Débil e indefensa*, but from what you told us? It sounds like we aren't to help anyone when we're there."

*Débil e indefensa = weak and defenseless
Hlaoroo wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:54 am "Sae, what can we dae tae help, sir? Ah can hack intae anythin' if'n ye get me an internet connection tae it an' Cailean can make any explosive devices ye may need. Ah dinnae think either o' us shuid leave th' ship though. We're still learnin' our powers an' recoverin' frae attacks on our lives frae our previous universe. We'd be liabilities doon there." Conall signs to the robot.

"Plus Sarah wuid kill us hersel' if'n we went doon there an' put ourselves in danger." Cailean jokes, also in sign for Conall's benefit.
"Let me clear this up right here: You are still going to help anyone you find in need, and you are to intervene if you see any other armed entities, be they mercenaries or otherwise, committing acts of aggression against unarmed people." Hivemind clarified. "Just try to be discrete about it. Make sure none of them can call in a Champion sighting. Destroy or jam their communications, disable them without being seen, or use your powers sparingly, as long as nobody who identifies you as a Champion can raise the alarm."

"If there are no more questions, please report to the armory to pick up your gear. Then get ready for a stealth drop." Hivemind concluded.

-----------------------------------------
Krytus The Dreamer wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:08 pm Kaleb closed his eyes and concentrated allowing his body to morph and unfurl into its new larger state. A few seconds passed and Kaleb's transformation finished with two horns protruding from his head. Kaleb circled around his body inspecting what little of his armor he could see if there were any tears. However, since there didn't appear to be any Kaleb found some comfort in wearing something akin to clothing again, even if it already felt foreign to his new animal form. "Great, I think it works, but I'm still waiting on hivemind for the samples I requested and I should probably get the lowdown on how this armor functions. Hopefully, it can camouflage too so it doesn't impede the chameleon DNA I'll be getting soon. I'll probably be stuck here for a bit. If you've got your gear already Ms.Sana you can go ahead, I wouldn't want to keep you from the team you're deploying with."

Kaleb's animal registry
Therian Shift: Bull's Mass & horns
Unfortunately, the equipment appeared to be designed with shapeshifters in mind, but was not designed with adaptive camouflage as most shapeshifters don't have invisibility as part of their powerset. Developing a custom suit with adaptive camo might take a day or two, though Kaleb might be able to request an Active camo module.

-----------------------------------------
Welsh Halfwit wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:50 am Keeva reached over and gave Dan a kiss on the cheek. "Just be yourself, Pred," she told her big friend. "It's how they'll get to think you're brilliant. Like we do, eh, Dan?
"Thank you for your confidence." Predator nodded.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Krytus The Dreamer

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:16 pm "Don't think I've been given a team yet," Sana said, putting on some small armour that had been left out for her. She checked the firearm. and wrist computer. "Yup. Non lethal. Heh. Like I say, I've not been assigned a team yet. If he wants me on a different one, I'm sure he'll tell me."
"as far as teams go, I think it's up to us for now. He let me go with Sir hawk just because he asked so i don't think it's gonna matter for now though." Kaleb took the time to stretch his transformed body to stress test his suit. As he did Kaleb noticed the terminal that had equipped his armor had a notification. "Hello, what's this?"

Since the accept key was big enough Kaleb simply tapped it with his paws and the owner's manual came up and told Kaleb all he needed to know. It was a basic suit that provided life support and protection against most harmful substances based on his genetic profile. With the ability to shrink and grow with his size, Kaleb didn't have to be selective about which forms he could use. It even came with a nanotech helmet that allowed him all the protection without the fish bowl style that would impede the use of his fangs and horns. Sadly no camouflage and adapting his suit to match would take time. Maybe next time.

Once Kaleb reached the end of the manual a box popped up and opened to reveal two biscuits one labeled "Bullet Ant" and the other "Chameleon".

"I know I asked if the DNA samples could be mixed into something edible to make it more palatable but come on." Kaleb sighed with a deadpan stare at the two biscuits. "Oh well. Over the teeth, through the gums, look out stomach here it comes."

Kaleb leaned over and ate the two biscuits holding back the urge to throw up. The chameleon biscuit wasn't too bad just a strange taste, but the ant one was the hardest to swallow because of the tiny bits that couldn't be ground up further. "Now that that's over. I've got to meet up with Sir Hawk at docking bay 10. I think I've kept him waiting long enough. since you don't have a team you could try asking him if you could tag along with us. I don't see the harm in asking."

In one fluid motion, Kaleb relinquished his bull traits and began to slim down, though not to his regular size. In exchange for his mass and horns, Kaleb's muscles began to tone as a spotted pattern appeared on his fur.

Kaleb's animal registry
Therian Shift: Cheetah's Speed.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Jenny listened to what Hive said about the options facing the young down on this planet - starve, slave, gang - and muttered, more to herself "well, that sounds familiar."
----------------------------------
"This isn't our jurisdiction," Corp reminded Liz and Lewis. "It isn't our responsibility." He grimaced. "But do we have the right to turn away from people who need assistance?"
---------------------------------
"Right," Jaken said brightly, as things came to a close, "race you to the armoury, Miss Traci?" He opened a portal to the nearest one and stepped through. "I win!"
"Wonderful place, New Rome," Hannabelle griped to Gear. "Non stop running pain and misery. Place never changes."
"Can't say I'm <choo> sorry to be staying up here, honestly," Cherry told anyone listening.
--------------------------------
"I just might do that," Sana said brightly, trotting along behind Kaleb to the bay. "That'd drive me dotty," she quipped at his transformation.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Krytus The Dreamer

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:14 am I just might do that," Sana said brightly, trotting along behind Kaleb to the bay. "That'd drive me dotty," she quipped at his transformation.
"Oh, this?" Kaleb chuckled as he examined the pattern on his fur, "I figured I'd multitask and test the shrinking function on this suit, now for the morphing function."

Kaleb narrowed his focus and concentrated on his body again, allowing his body to revert to its canine size and musculature. However, instead of staying a completely normal dog, four spikes grew from his back before fully elongating to wide spider legs. Since he hadn't had a chance to use this form before Kaleb took tentative steps using all eight of his legs before letting his four larger spider legs take over. For a few short steps, Kaleb was fine but he eventually got back onto his four canine legs instead letting his four legs fold up against his back.

At first, the dog struggled to keep his balance with his new legs on his back, but eventually, Kaleb got the hang of it. "Guess that's what walking on stilts feels like. But nonetheless, the morph function works. I grew a new set of limbs and the fabric didn't tear! Guess this suit's been lab tested time for a field test."

A few good minutes of walking later, Kaleb eventually caught sight of Docking bay 10 and the anthropomorphic wolf doing inspections on his ship. Not wanting to be any later than he already was Kaleb rushed over with Sana in tow.

"Sorry to keep you waiting, Sir." Kaleb stood- er- sat at attention maneuvering one of his extra limbs into a kind of salute "I needed to inspect Hivemind's gear and get the DNA samples that could prove useful to the mission."

Even though Kaleb was putting on a front of professionalism anybody could tell how tense and nervous the dog was as he greeted Hawk.

Kaleb's animal registry
Therian Shift: Barkspider's extra legs, Spinnerette
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Krytus The Dreamer wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:01 pm "Sorry to keep you waiting, Sir." Kaleb stood- er- sat at attention maneuvering one of his extra limbs into a kind of salute "I needed to inspect Hivemind's gear and get the DNA samples that could prove useful to the mission."

Even though Kaleb was putting on a front of professionalism anybody could tell how tense and nervous the dog was as he greeted Hawk.

Kaleb's animal registry
Therian Shift: Barkspider's extra legs, Spinnerette
"No worries, kid. Had a feeling you were busy with something." Hawk replied, pointing to his new form then motioning towards the massive ship behind him. "Say hello to the Dychra Phoenix: Once a gunship for the Dychra military, it's now my own personal ship and mobile home..." he stopped when he noticed Kaleb's guest. "Who's this?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CyberDragon wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:02 pm "Let me clear this up right here: You are still going to help anyone you find in need, and you are to intervene if you see any other armed entities, be they mercenaries or otherwise, committing acts of aggression against unarmed people." Hivemind clarified. "Just try to be discrete about it. Make sure none of them can call in a Champion sighting. Destroy or jam their communications, disable them without being seen, or use your powers sparingly, as long as nobody who identifies you as a Champion can raise the alarm."

"If there are no more questions, please report to the armory to pick up your gear. Then get ready for a stealth drop." Hivemind concluded.

Though not thrilled with the mission, Tobias nodded and started for the door. Before heading to the armory, he wanted to stop at his room first for his guitar as he had a feeling he was gonna need it. Once he had his case, he then made his way towards the armory for his gear.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Hi," Sana said, offering a little hand bedecked in Hive's supplied armour for Hawk. "I'm Sana. The, uh, 'little one' from earlier? I'm up for joining a rescue team. I'm a mistress of computers with training in hunting and shooting things. I could probably be of assistance." She over enthusiastically clicked her heels together. "And I don't take up much space!"
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
TheRook259

Post by TheRook259 »

CyberDragon wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote: Keeva reached over and gave Dan a kiss on the cheek. "Just be yourself, Pred," she told her big friend. "It's how they'll get to think you're brilliant. Like we do, eh, Dan?
"Thank you for your confidence." Predator nodded.
Dan leaned his cheek into Keeva's kiss with a smile. "Correct, confidence and optimism are what we strive for!" He exclaimed, giving Predator a thumbs up. "Be yourself, be confident, and you'll go far! Stay safe, too!"

----------
Welsh Halfwit wrote:"Right," Jaken said brightly, as things came to a close, "race you to the armoury, Miss Traci?" He opened a portal to the nearest one and stepped through. "I win!"
Traci giggled from behind Jaken. "Sorry, Jaken! You'll have to be even quicker than that!" Turns out she hopped through Jaken's portal just after he opened it. "You can't catch me out that easy!" She stuck her tongue out and headed further into the armoury.

Rika stifiled a laugh but tried to keep a calm face as she followed last through the portal. "Don't worry Jaken, you beat me for sure! We'll get her! She can't win all the time.." She told him, patting his headfur. "Anyway, let's get outfitted shall we?"
I have returned! ..But I lost my squiggles.

Characters Reference
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:55 am "Hi," Sana said, offering a little hand bedecked in Hive's supplied armour for Hawk. "I'm Sana. The, uh, 'little one' from earlier? I'm up for joining a rescue team. I'm a mistress of computers with training in hunting and shooting things. I could probably be of assistance." She over enthusiastically clicked her heels together. "And I don't take up much space!"
"Uh huh.." Hawk replied, admittedly not even remembering seeing her at the meeting. Though disappointed that he's bringing another body along, he'd figured it'd be safe to not argue with anyone at the moment. "Well...if you're coming along, grab your gear and follow me." He said with a shrug, motioning the two to follow him up his ship's ramp, leading them to the main area. "Just set your gear over there on the table." He told the two as he took a seat near the one console. "Now, seeing as we got a few before we take off, any questions you guys got?"
Krytus The Dreamer

Kaleb releases his transformation as he climbs aboard the ship "Let's see. From what I remember from the debriefing, Sir Hivemind said that the distress call was planet-wide, and with little to no way to know the exact location, we're just gonna have to pick a spot and search. The problem is where though? Rural, Wilderness, or Urban areas? Our suits should give us the protection we need for the rural and wilderness areas but still, we need to pick an area."

Kaleb's animal registry
Therian Shift: Inactive
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Krytus The Dreamer wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:39 am Kaleb releases his transformation as he climbs aboard the ship "Let's see. From what I remember from the debriefing, Sir Hivemind said that the distress call was planet-wide, and with little to no way to know the exact location, we're just gonna have to pick a spot and search. The problem is where though? Rural, Wilderness, or Urban areas? Our suits should give us the protection we need for the rural and wilderness areas but still, we need to pick an area."

Kaleb's animal registry
"Knowing New Rome and speaking from experience, it probably came from within the city, so we should probably check there first. Though, if I can be honest with you two; I'm a bit unsure if this is a legit distress call. Don't ask why but, again speaking from experience, something just doesn't feel right." Hawk replied while leaning back on his seat.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

The boys look at each other and then at Sarah as Hivemind walks away.
"Did... Did we just get conscripted?" Conall signs, bewildered.
"I think sae... Sae... What dae we dae, Sarah?" Cailean answers.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Kolt seemed horrified by the description of what was going on down on the planet below. "That's not right" He said to Jenny. "The whole purpose of government is to help the people, to protect people's rights. Any government that lets it's citizens die over something as stupid as money is... is.." He seemed to struggle to find the words to convey how awful he found all this. "I'd say an abject failure, but even THAT feels to optimistic."
--
"We don't." Liz replied bluntly, determination in her eyes. "I refuse to just walk away, when I know I can be the one who brings light to someone's darkest hour."
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:14 am "Wonderful place, New Rome," Hannabelle griped to Gear. "Non stop running pain and misery. Place never changes."
"Aye. Hopefully though, all that will be over soon. Hive's been looking for an excuse to investigate why things're so miserable there. Seems he's got one now." Gear responded, standing up and walking toward the armory with Hannabelle.

Hlaoroo wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:56 pm The boys look at each other and then at Sarah as Hivemind walks away.
"Did... Did we just get conscripted?" Conall signs, bewildered.
"I think sae... Sae... What dae we dae, Sarah?" Cailean answers.
Hivemind wasn't as gone as they may have thought. Another Hive Droid walked up beside them. "No. The Champions don't do conscriptions except for during major invasions and Omega-level threats. You three don't have to go down there. However, I am afraid there won't be much you can do to help from up here. We don't even know the full situation. If you want to help save the people of this world, right now that would mean boots on the ground and eyes in the field. It's up to you."

Legotron123 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:41 pm Kolt seemed horrified by the description of what was going on down on the planet below. "That's not right" He said to Jenny. "The whole purpose of government is to help the people, to protect people's rights. Any government that lets it's citizens die over something as stupid as money is... is.." He seemed to struggle to find the words to convey how awful he found all this. "I'd say an abject failure, but even THAT feels to optimistic."
"I'd be inclined to agree with you. Which, honestly, is likely why their corporatocracy refuses to ask for our help despite us not charging for services. The Beacon is a place where the most powerful people serve to protect and assist the weak and needy. They don't want the 'lower classes' getting any ideas..." Hivemind said. "At least... that's my theory from experience with them. Now, go get prepared. We have an hour until we're in orbit around New Rome. I managed to get approved to enter a... rather specific orbital path."

The Beacon is still moving at Warp Speed. It has not yet arrived at New Rome.
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

""Other problem is," Jenny told Kolt as she took his hand, "that different governments will have different ideas as to what's best and they often need to make sure they stay in power to make those things happen. It becomes easy for them to get too involved in making sure they stay in power and make things good for those who keep them in power whilst others suffer." She gave him an ironic smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. "Been there, yeah? C'mon," she urged, wondering if he wanted to come on her bike to the armoury. She made the offer.
"Hope the armour's loose fitting," Jaken opined as he headed down with Miss Rika.
--------------------------------
Corp shrugged. "Needed to be said," he grumped. "Wouldn't have expected you to agree." He led the way.
-------------------------------
"Wonder if the 'Charter of filth' bar is still there," Hannabelle mused, getting ready, "always untrustworthy rebels in there."
------------------------------
"If'n we go," Sarah said and signed, "we go in as support only! An' I'm only sayin' this 'cause I ken yer wanna help!"
-----------------------------
"I can appreciate that," Sana said, finding a seat and resisting the impulse to check out the computer without Hawk saying she could. "Seen a few trapped by their own charity."
----------------------------
Keeva sighed as she thought of Pred going in to fight without them. "We'll be available if you want to talk to us, Pred. You know that, right?" She laughed nervously at a bad joke. "I mean, we just finished polishing your feet! Don't want them too dirty, do we?"
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Krytus The Dreamer

As Hawk prepped his ship for take-off, Kaleb let his eyes wander only to notice the exit bay doors still read that the Beacon was still in Warp speed. Now that Kaleb knew there was still ample time before deploying Kaleb cleared his throat awkwardly to gather his nerves.

"Alright, so since we're going to work as a team for this mission maybe we should get to know each other. Like our strengths and weaknesses and stuff." Kaleb was careful in his word choice to not sound like he had just read Idiot's guide to working as a team. "I guess I'll start... let's see... uhh... I've got practically zero combat experience other than..." Kaleb tried to be vague instead of mentioning his brief stint of being auctioned off to the highest bidder. "that time when Sir Hawk found me. But I can incorporate animal traits into this body. I don't have access to any animal unless I've consumed a sufficient amount of that animal's DNA. I can even mix and match multiple at a time. The downside is, the more I mix into a combo the harder it is for me to think straight. It feels like walking through a haze and I think it might hamper my ability to speak if I string together too many animals. Also, I think this might go without saying but unless the technology was designed for quadrupeds with no opposable thumbs I can't handle machines. uhh... I think that's it for me."

Kaleb's animal registry
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Tatiana listened to Hivemind's briefing, the attitude that ruled the world seeming quite familiar, "Sounds close to home, if a bit more self destructive... maybe." Her comment aside she hummed in thought, having been a merc her whole life, a dang good one at that she'd say, she briefly wondered if anyone on the ground would buy that a Rim merc got hired to do a gig there.

"Suppose I should leave my new shell behind, just in case. Ah well. This is starting to sound like a nostalgia trip for me." With that, Tatiana prepared to head off, to make sure her rifle was good to go. A small flickering thought flashed through her mind, but in the end, she brushed it off.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Hawk leans over and pats Kaleb on the shoulder. "That's why I wanted you to come along with me. I want to help you to have better control over your abilities." He leaned back in his chair again. "As for me? My combat experience is pretty dang long, seeing as I used to be a bounty hunter before joining up with the Champions. Seen everything, fought everything, survived an entire lifetimes worth of attacks - one huge benefit of immortality - to the point where my only weakness is...I may get cocky at times." He chuckles at that last statement as he was reminded of a particular bounty. "I'm always reminded of the day I was on the city planet of Delkan. I was going through one of the towers there for a high ranking bounty, taking out guards left and right - HUGE gun fight, mind you - and I get to where the target is. Well, long story short, I...misjudged the jump and leapt through the window, freefalling 100 stories down and landing directly on my target's car, destroying it completely. Shouted out a few swears as I fell...not my best moment."
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Well," Sana admitted, "I'm just a trained IOC agent with specialisation in Computer work." She looked at Hawk, her mighty ears flicking. "And I'm pretty sure that'd kill most people. Only time I'd jump like that is if I had a jetpack up me shirt."
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

"Normally? You'd be right. But, in my case? I just had a sore back and bits of a car on me. I did end up getting the target a little that day, so it all worked out like my other contracts...save for the one on Faeris but uh I don't talk about that one." Hawk replied, almost sounding a bit embarrassed about the later.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Probably best not to discuss them in too much detail, hmm," Sana remarked, clearly amused. "If one was on a world where IOC works, I'd have to try and arrest you, yeah?" She leaned on the chair whilst smiling, just to show off her full four foot of height. "And then I'd have to add in recovery time..."
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

"Yeah, glad I was never that type of agent. I'd get annoyed with all the paperwork." Hawk chuckled before clearing his throat. "You know? Of everyone here on this station, you two seem to be the only ones who are OK with me and my past. Why's that?"
Krytus The Dreamer

Kaleb stared into the distance lost in thought. "I know bounty hunters don't exactly get the best rep, and to tell you the truth if we met when I was a human I probably wouldn't have thought twice about running in the other direction. My dad made a lot of genetic patents that companies on my earth colony have been using for decades. He created a genome that allowed certain species of fish to breed outside of their season, one that made cattle pack on more meat than fat, and the list goes on. He kept a strict eye on these patents because he feared the damage they'd do to the ecosystem if they somehow got out into the wild, even to the point of making it written in his will that the patents be passed down to me. Corporations didn't like that my dad's lab was the only one allowed to hand out these genomes so as you can imagine things got heated. Not to the point where they'd send an assassin mind you but the thought always sat at the back of my head. Though in light of the accident that turned me into this, even without evidence popping up I can't say I don't have my suspicions."

Kaleb snapped himself out of his somewhat depressive spiral and got back to the point. "With you, Sir Hawk, it's a bit hard to explain. Instinct? Sixth-sense? Gut Feeling? I'm not entirely sure what it is but I feel deep down that I can trust you. You helped save my life after all. If not for you and Sir Hivemind I probably would've been some terrorist's guard/attack dog for the rest of my life."

Kaleb shuddered when he remembered the shocks and the steel cold cage they kept him in.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Can't say I love it, exactly," Sana said, "but my route to law enforcement wasn't exactly straight. I used to 'affect entry' to computer systems and expose secrets. I kinda got 'rendered' to a very secret site to rot when I found some secrets about senior governmental types? Emphasis on 'mental', I'm afraid. I got out but the federal lot - IOC..." She tapped the badge. "Put a fair bit on the line to save me and expose the rotten cabinet minister. Bad government happens but dangerous government needs exposing. You seem the type to do that."
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Kolt took the offer, seeming to stew in his own thoughts as he climbed onto Jenny's bike.
--
Liz and Lewis made their own way to the armory.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:16 am "Can't say I love it, exactly," Sana said, "but my route to law enforcement wasn't exactly straight. I used to 'affect entry' to computer systems and expose secrets. I kinda got 'rendered' to a very secret site to rot when I found some secrets about senior governmental types? Emphasis on 'mental', I'm afraid. I got out but the federal lot - IOC..." She tapped the badge. "Put a fair bit on the line to save me and expose the rotten cabinet minister. Bad government happens but dangerous government needs exposing. You seem the type to do that."
"Not really." He shrugged. "I was mostly hired by whoever had the money to afford me, meaning I did some work for governments on various planets...some I'm not too proud of any more....pretty sure I'm still wanted by half of them..."
Krytus The Dreamer wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:53 am Kaleb snapped himself out of his somewhat depressive spiral and got back to the point. "With you, Sir Hawk, it's a bit hard to explain. Instinct? Sixth-sense? Gut Feeling? I'm not entirely sure what it is but I feel deep down that I can trust you. You helped save my life after all. If not for you and Sir Hivemind I probably would've been some terrorist's guard/attack dog for the rest of my life."
Hawk could only smile and nod, words failing him as Kaleb spoke. "I uh...yeah...thanks." he managed to say before quickly, to their surprise, getting up and heading to the cockpit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leaving the armory, Tobias walked the corridor a ways before stopping outside the briefing room. Seeing Hivemind was still in there, Tobias headed in and approached Hivemind. "Pardon me, but I want to apologize for my previous actions." Tobias began, "I guess I was a bit upset at this mission and what it could entail and all. While it's true I don't like taking lives, I...I'm stumbling over my words here..."
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

TheRook259 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:21 am
Welsh Halfwit wrote:"Right," Jaken said brightly, as things came to a close, "race you to the armoury, Miss Traci?" He opened a portal to the nearest one and stepped through. "I win!"
Traci giggled from behind Jaken. "Sorry, Jaken! You'll have to be even quicker than that!" Turns out she hopped through Jaken's portal just after he opened it. "You can't catch me out that easy!" She stuck her tongue out and headed further into the armoury.

Rika stifiled a laugh but tried to keep a calm face as she followed last through the portal. "Don't worry Jaken, you beat me for sure! We'll get her! She can't win all the time.." She told him, patting his headfur. "Anyway, let's get outfitted shall we?"
Hivemind was waiting to greet both Rika and Jaken when they got to the armory. He handed Rika a doctor's uniform, explaining "The people down there won't take kindly to you if you're in your normal Champion gear. I used bullet and heat resistant fabric in these clothes, and equipped it with the usual Champion tech. I've also constructed a compact version of your grenade launcher to match. It's in one of the inside pockets."

He turned to Jaken. "Jaken, I know you don't like clothes much, but please at least wear the vest and shirt. It's got a shield system like Rika's uniform. It'll keep you safe if things go south."

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:18 am "Wonder if the 'Charter of filth' bar is still there," Hannabelle mused, getting ready, "always untrustworthy rebels in there."
"Probably." Gear shrugged. "Bars get more profitable when there's more misery. We might want to check it out for leads."

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:18 am Keeva sighed as she thought of Pred going in to fight without them. "We'll be available if you want to talk to us, Pred. You know that, right?" She laughed nervously at a bad joke. "I mean, we just finished polishing your feet! Don't want them too dirty, do we?"
"I will be fine." Predator reassured them. "Really, I will be. Though I know better by now than to believe anything I say will reassure you, at the moment we do not even know whether direct combat will be needed, and I am quite capable of defending myself if need be."

Neon Icy Wings wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:54 am Tatiana listened to Hivemind's briefing, the attitude that ruled the world seeming quite familiar, "Sounds close to home, if a bit more self destructive... maybe." Her comment aside she hummed in thought, having been a merc her whole life, a dang good one at that she'd say, she briefly wondered if anyone on the ground would buy that a Rim merc got hired to do a gig there.

"Suppose I should leave my new shell behind, just in case. Ah well. This is starting to sound like a nostalgia trip for me." With that, Tatiana prepared to head off, to make sure her rifle was good to go. A small flickering thought flashed through her mind, but in the end, she brushed it off.
Another Hive droid checked Tatiana's loadout as she was leaving. "Alright, your old armor should do fine for this. It's not Champion tech or Champion branded. All you need is this." Hivemind said, handing Tatiana a handheld communication jammer. "Use that if you need to stop someone who has identified you. It'll shut down communications for about two to five minutes." he said with a nod, stepping back and out of the way. "We'll be arriving shortly. Best grab what you need and get to one of the Port Side hangers."

Legotron123 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:04 pm Liz and Lewis made their own way to the armory.
Hivemind was there to greet them when they arrived. "Liz, your equipment was tricky, I'll admit, but I managed to adjust the technology of your usual loadout to make mercenary-style armor that will adjust to your transformations. Lewis, I added a little something to yours. A little wrist-mounted magazine of metal pellets that you should be able to use your powers to throw at things. Both suits are equipped with Comm jammers, just in case someone gets wise and tries to call in Champion presence."

Hivemind handed them both equipment that certainly looked different from Champion gear. It looked almost salvaged, like it was made from parts gathered on a battle field and reinforced with scrap metal. On the inside, however, the Champion tech was far more apparent, with the usual shielding system and stasis triggers all in their proper places.

SeanWolf wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:33 pm Leaving the armory, Tobias walked the corridor a ways before stopping outside the briefing room. Seeing Hivemind was still in there, Tobias headed in and approached Hivemind. "Pardon me, but I want to apologize for my previous actions." Tobias began, "I guess I was a bit upset at this mission and what it could entail and all. While it's true I don't like taking lives, I...I'm stumbling over my words here..."
Hivemind stared for a moment as though processing what Tobias said, and only realizing the implications of what he told the Champions. Tapping a sort of comm device on the side of his metal head, he spoke out and sent a message to all champions. "To clarify:" he started. "The No-Kill rule is in full effect. All Champions going into the Slums will be equipped with Comm Jammers. Ensure nobody can call in Champion sightings by utilizing these jammers to temporarily shut down communications while you disable and apprehend the one making the call. However, you are NOT to kill any local security forces. I would rather deal with the fallout of being caught where I'm not supposed to be than deal with the nightmare that would come my way if our operations resulted in any unnecessary deaths."

After some time passed, the Beacon exited out of warp speed and began to slow, approaching the planet of New Rome. Much of the planet was desolate. It looked like it was a barren world before the city of New Rome was founded as a colony. The city itself was a shining beacon of accomplishment. Skyscrapers stretched to the heavens, taller than anything developed on Earth. A space elevator lead to a station in orbit where ships came and went. The city was a glistening diamond surrounded by a rotting sewer. Most of the planet was covered by the slums, separated from the city by a high wall. Very little plant life could be seen, and the only oceans and rivers were nearly black with pollution and sediment. Though, of course, much of that unpleasantness was hidden from view if seen from space, considering dust storms and dark clouds coated the surface in a shroud of poison. One might not even be able to tell there were people living outside of the city if they didn't already know.

As the Beacon slowed and entered orbit, however, Hivemind received a new message. This message was from a name he didn't expect to see. Hawk Redsky. He read through the message once. Then twice. Then again just to make sure he understood it.

For the first time in decades, Hivemind felt surprised.

Son of a *****...! he swore to himself.

- - - - -

A new ship approached the Beacon's Starboard side, and Hivemind opened one of the smaller hangers to admit the ship. A small squad of Hive droids marched up to the new ship as it docked, and waited for the doors to open.
-Champion Motto

Krytus The Dreamer

SeanWolf wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:33 pm Hawk could only smile and nod, words failing him as Kaleb spoke. "I uh...yeah...thanks." he managed to say before quickly, to their surprise, getting up and heading to the cockpit.
Kaleb was a bit puzzled when Hawk left as quickly as he did, "Was it something I said?" his ears folded to the back of his head awkwardly.

Before he could try to catch up with Hawk, Kaleb stumbled as he felt the ship lurch forward a bit. Not enough to topple him just enough to indicate that they had finally arrived at New Rome. Wanting to understand their destination better, Kaleb approached a nearby terminal and, thanks to the voice command option, navigated to the external cameras. Just as Hivemind described the planet was not ecologically stable, but what really caught Kaleb's eye was the new ship approaching a nearby hangar.

He then heard a squadron of Hivemind drones marching their way toward the new ship. Driven by curiosity more than anything, Kaleb thought he'd just grab a sneak peek before he'd rush back to Hawk and Sana. The terminal map said it was two hangars over. It couldn't hurt, could it?

"Sorry, I'll be right back! I just want to see what this new ship's all about." Kaleb called before shifting to his Cheetah-Hybrid form and running off.

When Kaleb caught up to the squad they were already by the bay doors waiting for it to open. Rather than wait with them Kaleb thought it'd be best to wait around the corner just in case his appearance spooked the newcomers.

Kaleb's animal registry
Therian Shift: Cheetah Speed
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

CyberDragon wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:46 pm Hivemind stared for a moment as though processing what Tobias said, and only realizing the implications of what he told the Champions. Tapping a sort of comm device on the side of his metal head, he spoke out and sent a message to all champions. "To clarify:" he started. "The No-Kill rule is in full effect. All Champions going into the Slums will be equipped with Comm Jammers. Ensure nobody can call in Champion sightings by utilizing these jammers to temporarily shut down communications while you disable and apprehend the one making the call. However, you are NOT to kill any local security forces. I would rather deal with the fallout of being caught where I'm not supposed to be than deal with the nightmare that would come my way if our operations resulted in any unnecessary deaths."
Tobias was relieved to hear the announcement. "Gracias and, again, I apologize if I came off as rude."

CyberDragon wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:46 pm A new ship approached the Beacon's Starboard side, and Hivemind opened one of the smaller hangers to admit the ship. A small squad of Hive droids marched up to the new ship as it docked, and waited for the doors to open.
With a gentle thud, the small fighter craft landed in the Beacon's hanger, it's wings folding up and in like a bird. The cockpit then opened up, followed by the pilot jumping out and removing their helmet, revealing a black wolf underneath. The wolf looked at the droids and nodded, handing them a device that showed footage of a scientist creating what he was there for. "Hivemind sent you, right? I'm Hawk Redsky. I was in touch with him a few minutes ago. What's his plan for that reploid?"
Last edited by SeanWolf on Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Jaken pretended to look mortified and put a hand to his chest. "Of course, sir," he said, words belying actions. "Always best prepared! Probably need shorts and boots too!"
"Best place to get the other side of the argument too," Hannabelle agreed. "We'll need some of the local currency. And I don't mean a card. Some will be cash only."
"Good job I don't need anything special," Corp half joked, checking his usual armour out.
Sana decided to head up to the flight deck so she could, possibly, inform Hawk that Kaleb had just bolted off for something and so she could have a little look at the controls to see if she could pilot it if ever needing to. It couldn't possibly be that hard, could it. She knocked on the door. "Just so you know," she called, "Kaleb's just gone to see what's going on in the other bay."
----------------------------
Jenny opened up after donning the protective equipment and making sure Kolt put his on too. Paradoxically, she sped carefully through the hallways, deliberately dodging one or two o the teleport doorways that would make it quicker but much less fun. After a few moments of exhilaration with Kolt's hands around her waist, she skidded into the armoury. "We're here, sweetie," she said, "you can breathe again now(!)"
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Krytus The Dreamer

SeanWolf wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:10 pm With a gentle thud, the small fighter craft landed in the Beacon's hanger, it's wings folding up and in like a bird. The cockpit then opened up, followed by the pilot jumping out and removing their helmet, revealing a black wolf underneath. The wolf looked at the droids and nodded, handing them a device that showed footage of a scientist creating what he was there for. "Hivemind sent you, right? I'm Hawk Redsky. I was in touch with in a few minutes ago. What's his plan for that reploid?"
Kaleb couldn't believe his ears. Everything matched, from his voice to his facial features it was a one-to-one copy. A second Hawk Redsky and one that was accusing the Hawk he knew as a fake.The walls seemed to close in on Kaleb as he struggled to process what he had just witnessed and the implications of what it could mean. Kaleb's mind raced to put the pieces together, the willingness to overlook his inexperience with his powers, the seemingly out-of-nowhere fascination to train him despite being known for doing his job solo most of the time, the sudden unease when Kaleb stated how much faith he put in Hawk. Did... Did the reploid Hawk just want to use him? Just like the terrorists that caged him, the terrorists that shocked him into compliance, the terrorists that forcibly took all manner of DNA samples from him.

"nononononononono," Kaleb whimpered as he shook his head tears beginning to form

It had to be in his head. Hawk and Hivemind saved him that day. He had to be wrong, Hawk would never.

Practically hyperventilating Kaleb stumbled back unknowingly hitting and toppling a stack of metal canisters that crashed to the ground with a noticeable clang. His eyes met with the squadron of Hivedroids and the 'real' Hawk Redsky and exuded panic and fear.

Kaleb's animal registry
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Tatiana took the jammer and nodded, "Semi stealth operation will work well with these." After that she went to the armory to properly prepare, even if she felt her preparations were rather simple. All she really needed was her rifle and maybe a secondary weapon. As she walked, looking over the jammer to familiarize herself with it, she idly wondered what the others would need for such an operation.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:18 am "If'n we go," Sarah said and signed, "we go in as support only! An' I'm only sayin' this 'cause I ken yer wanna help!"
The boys glance at each other, both thinking the same thing.
"Aye, we want tae help. But Ah suppose there isnae way tae guarantee we'll be support and nae fightin', is there, sir?" Conall asks.
"It's yer call, Ah think, Sarah. Yer our guard. What dae ye think?"
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Krytus The Dreamer wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:07 am Kaleb couldn't believe his ears. Everything matched, from his voice to his facial features it was a one-to-one copy. A second Hawk Redsky and one that was accusing the Hawk he knew as a fake.The walls seemed to close in on Kaleb as he struggled to process what he had just witnessed and the implications of what it could mean. Kaleb's mind raced to put the pieces together, the willingness to overlook his inexperience with his powers, the seemingly out-of-nowhere fascination to train him despite being known for doing his job solo most of the time, the sudden unease when Kaleb stated how much faith he put in Hawk. Did... Did the reploid Hawk just want to use him? Just like the terrorists that caged him, the terrorists that shocked him into compliance, the terrorists that forcibly took all manner of DNA samples from him.

"nononononononono," Kaleb whimpered as he shook his head tears beginning to form

It had to be in his head. Hawk and Hivemind saved him that day. He had to be wrong, Hawk would never.

Practically hyperventilating Kaleb stumbled back unknowingly hitting and toppling a stack of metal canisters that crashed to the ground with a noticeable clang. His eyes met with the squadron of Hivedroids and the 'real' Hawk Redsky and exuded panic and fear.

Kaleb's animal registry
Before any of the Hivebots could answer, both they and Hawk heard the clanging of metal from behind. Looking up from the 'droids, Hawk noticed the creator of the noise. It wasn't the reploid but a scared cheetah. Motioning to the hivedroids that he'll handle this, he approached the cheetah carefully, "You OK over there?" He said in an almost father-like matter. He could tell there was something wrong with this cheetah.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Welsh Halfwit wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:28 am Sana decided to head up to the flight deck so she could, possibly, inform Hawk that Kaleb had just bolted off for something and so she could have a little look at the controls to see if she could pilot it if ever needing to. It couldn't possibly be that hard, could it. She knocked on the door. "Just so you know," she called, "Kaleb's just gone to see what's going on in the other bay."
The doors opened back up as Hawk stepped out. "Thanks...sorry about that," he replied, "I guess what he said really got to me. Never had someone say that to me before."
Krytus The Dreamer

SeanWolf wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:34 am Before any of the Hivebots could answer, both they and Hawk heard the clanging of metal from behind. Looking up from the 'droids, Hawk noticed the creator of the noise. It wasn't the reploid but a scared cheetah. Motioning to the hivedroids that he'll handle this, he approached the cheetah carefully, "You OK over there?" He said in an almost father-like matter. He could tell there was something wrong with this cheetah.
Kaleb flinched when 'Real' Hawk approached, "I-I don't know..." He found it hard to make eye contact but Kaleb had to know "I'm sorry but I couldn't help but overhear but Wh-What do you plan on doing to him? The reploid I mean."

Kaleb's animal registry
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Kolt seemed to handle the bike ride fine, too lost in his own thoughts to really notice the speed they went at. As he got off the bike, he walked towards the door to the rest of the armory, before stopping. He paused for a moment, then looked over at Jenny. "You've been around the galaxy right? How common are places like the planet we're heading to? Places where things are..... wrong?"
--
"Smart addition." Lewis said as he and his mother looked over their armor. It was quite impressive how shabby it looked on the outside, while being just as impressive as usual on the inside.
The two of them put the armor on, looking for all the world like grizzled mercenaries. Once done, Liz looked over towards Hivemind. "So, what do you have in mind for us?"