Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Legotron123

Re: Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

Post by Legotron123 »

I just realized, it was eight in the morning when we left the Beacon, right? Does that mean the old man trapped us in the Bahamas for the next 24 hours? Or is the local time much later?
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The old man didn't trap you anywhere. He predicted that in a couple hours you would find yourselves stuck there until tomorrow. Dude's weird, but he was a lot of fun to write for. :D

The time was 8 in the Bahamas. Now it's probably around 11. He said in a couple hours, so it'd be about 1 to 2. I'll likely do a time skip to the next day when you guys are ready after that, but a lot of characters seemed interested in seeing things in the resort. We'll see when we get there.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

well, from orbit to ocean was under two minutes, (specified that when the ship emerged remember?) and coincided with the portal opening. The only real time sinks since have been cleaning up while one of the team recovers, and walking, so i'm surprised it's been three hours already.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

They did have to A) stop the ship. B) recover. C) clean up all of the shattered chunks of ship. D) jenny went into town to contact the police and got back. E) walk all the way across the entire island through a crowded town to get to the (fairly large) resort. F) deal with the weird old guy as they walked again across a chunk of the island. It might not be three hours, but it's taken some time. Also, RP time is funny sometimes. For example, in order for things to sync up, Alexander's talk with Gear must have taken four hours.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i know conversations irl feel like they drag on forever but wow... :P that must have taken a lot of dramatic pauses and shatner-speak to pull off.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

And coffee. Lots of Coffee.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Hey guys. The next post of mine is probably going to be a long one, so I probably won't be able to post it this morning. It will likely get posted at some point after work.

EDIT: Sudden boss fight! Tempest and The Lycan are down before the fight even starts! Good luck with that. :D
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

If anyone is wondering why I decided to have Kolt rescue Lycan when Kobor was already doing it, it’s because I was working on that post for at least a half hour, and didn’t notice Busters post until I’d already finished. I am not redoing all that work, so I just put in a line about how Kolt didn’t notice that the squid monster was already on it.
EDIT: Literally just realized that me doing this comes across as trying to oneup Busters character. That was NOT my intention. I just put a lot of work and thought into my post, and I don’t want that to go to waste.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I know you weren't trying to one-up Buster. But keep in mind, we all put a lot of time and effort into our posts. Mine took two hours to think of and write.

Anyway, some things about the opponent: He's got a personal grudge with Gear that goes back many many years to the time when Luke was still a military sniper. He is one of Gear's reoccurring rouges and a major threat. He is obviously heavily armed and armored.

First thing to know is that he has a shielding system. His shields protect everything, including weapons. However, they will go down as you hit them. Color coded for your convenience: Healthy to damaged, it goes blue, then orange, then red. Pretty standard for shields. I will update the status of the shields every post.

Second, not hitting him for long enough will reset the shields. Kind of like a video game with recharging shields.

Once the shields are gone, he has several vital points that I will have either Hivemind or Gear point out. Most likely Hivemind because Gear is...

Well, you'll see.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

Woo! Tank life! 0 DMG but all of the protections!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

you've also painted a bullseye on yourself, because it now has to take you out first.

hmmm...

Very tank thing to do actually...
Deske

Post by Deske »

Exactly! Gotta build that aggro! ;)

I totally forgot Kol and Kobor/Talya...

Also, "Too heavy to swim" ... That's kind of adorable.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

eh, kol is fine. Mechs are usually pretty top heavy due to the lack of good places for hardpoints on a leg, and sand is not the most stable terrain type. worst she has to worry about is getting pinned, or breaking a few bones, if it falls the wrong way.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

He has a considerably higher than average muscle mass for his volume. He also has countless small yet dense muscles under his skin and attached to his skeleton that let him transform. All of this combined makes The Lycan just too dense to swim. He can stay afloat for a couple minutes, but it costs a lot of energy.

And that was a really clever move, Buster. I hadn't thought of that, but it definitely would work. I'm hoping Rook will post soon. It's been quite a while, and there is a really big need for a medic now.

EDIT: XP

I didn't see he already posted. my bad.
-Champion Motto

~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

..Well, when I chose the support role I honestly thought I wasn't going to be doing too much except throw a few IEDs and gas bombs and give people plasters and lolipops.. Not 'saving private ryan'-type field-medic stuff!

Not that i'm complaining mind you! This is seriously intense!

On a side note, I've realised Rika isn't going to be useful in this fight (offensively, at least) because her capsules only really affect organic tissue.. Robots: Rika's one weakness..
Profile Picture by Hukley
Character Reference
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I'm thinking Rika is going to need to up the number of healing pills she carries. :D
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

CyberDragon wrote:And that was a really clever move, Buster. I hadn't thought of that, but it definitely would work.
One must always pay attention to the conditions of the battlefield, lest they be turned against them. Two decades of RTS and Tactics Games drilled that one into my head.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Amended my last post.

Chaff grenade. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... ermeasure)
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

and once again the boss fight takes a left turn into crazytown. :D but where'd that ship come from?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Buster wrote:and once again the boss fight takes a left turn into crazytown. :D but where'd that ship come from?
Discussions to do with a prior plot...
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

All of this crazyness will make sense eventually, but it won't make sense until later on in the story. Like, in-game days plural will pass before it will make sense.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

so, we've got xander, lego and CD left for this turn right? or did i forget someone?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

This is probably going to be the last turn of the fight, so I'm waiting until everyone else moves.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I was waiting for you to post, so I could see whether or not Kobor needed saving from a flaming wreck of a mecha. I’ve already got half a post written that takes place after the mecha gets hit by the cannon fire, so I’ll have to rewrite it if I’m going to post before that.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Kobor's not there, he's retrieving the Kinetic Interdictor from the crash. (gizmo's that minimizes all kinetic forces inside its field, relative to itself. Great for surviving head on collisions, useless as a defensive device because it tends to paralyze the wearer.)

Talya is the one snagged, she just refers to the sheaths as his because they have no moving parts and just kinda flop limply when he's not there.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I'll post in the morning, lego. Right now, I don't feel well.
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

OOI, what time is it with you, Cyber? Should be able to work out the time difference whenever you post.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Buster wrote:Kobor's not there, he's retrieving the Kinetic Interdictor from the crash. (gizmo's that minimizes all kinetic forces inside its field, relative to itself. Great for surviving head on collisions, useless as a defensive device because it tends to paralyze the wearer.)

Talya is the one snagged, she just refers to the sheaths as his because they have no moving parts and just kinda flop limply when he's not there.
Dang it, I knew I was getting them confused. My bad.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:OOI, what time is it with you, Cyber? Should be able to work out the time difference whenever you post.
I'm in the US Central time zone. Right now it is almost 8 am.

Unfortunately, this post is probably going to be a long one and because I'm stupid and decided to hit the snooze button it's probably not going to be there until after work.

Yeah... no way is it getting done with the cat getting into everything and me being only half awake...

EDIT: Managed to get it done. The mech is one of Gear's main bad guys. He knows how to deal with that machine. All he needed was for the shields to be down and the mech to turn the right way. I hope nobody is disappointed with this ending. I wanted to properly introduce Gear's potential.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

CyberDragon wrote:I hope nobody is disappointed with this ending. I wanted to properly introduce Gear's potential.
That depends, when playing a videogame, would you consider a boss you just spent the last hour trying to beat getting one shotted half way through by an npc disappointing, or infuriating?
:evil:
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I'm sorry Buster. I had a feeling this wouldn't go over so well, but I didn't have time this morning to think of something else. I figured the fight was pretty much over anyway with the mech's shielding gone, everyone shooting it, and now a warship joined the fight. The fight was also supposed to introduce Gear's abilities at some point. If it really bothers you, I can change it once I get back from work.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I’m fine with it, though I would’ve preferred that we took him in alive. I already plans for Kolt to get mad at him for trying to attack civilians. Plus I would’ve preferred to hear why he’s so upset from his perspective. Also, I don’t think he even lasted two minutes. He just showed up, managed to take out the heavy hitters, and still got completely wailed on.

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

CyberDragon wrote:I'm sorry Buster. I had a feeling this wouldn't go over so well, but I didn't have time this morning to think of something else. I figured the fight was pretty much over anyway with the mech's shielding gone, everyone shooting it, and now a warship joined the fight. The fight was also supposed to introduce Gear's abilities at some point. If it really bothers you, I can change it once I get back from work.
Small warship.
Legotron123 wrote:I’m fine with it, though I would’ve preferred that we took him in alive. I already plans for Kolt to get mad at him for trying to attack civilians. Plus I would’ve preferred to hear why he’s so upset from his perspective. Also, I don’t think he even lasted two minutes. He just showed up, managed to take out the heavy hitters, and still got completely wailed on.
He was prepared & equipped for them. Our guys were kinda a surprise to him.
Last edited by Welsh Halfwit on Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

He is alive.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

I gotta agree. Everything seemed a little preordained, to the point where it wouldn't have mattered what occurred.

Personally I felt like I could have been absent altogether since Ulrich basically sat there and provided a colorful light show for the fight since every bullet miraculously missed or was diverted because super powers.

I'm leaning towards disappointing rather than infuriating. I feel like a better course of action would have been to say, "Hey we don't need a tank because plot armor will protect everyone. You should make a DPS." Would've saved me some time and effort trying to figure out how to work useless defensive mechanics into my posts.

I'm not saying "Shoehorn some parts for my character because I'm sad," but it's kinda boring when everything you do gets rendered a waste of time.

And why'd he stop if he's alive? Did Gear just shoot him in just the right part of the face to not kill him?
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I thought from the choking noises that he’d been shot in the neck. The lungs wouldn’t have taken him out, and I don’t think he’d be making any noises if he’d been shot in the mouth.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

A rifle powerful enough to pierce vehicular armor is going to kill you even if it hits you in the foot, because of you bleeding out from the pulverised mess that used to be your hip. if it hit him anywhere in the torso he doesn't have one anymore.
Deske

Post by Deske »

That too. Considering it caused enough damage to make him just stop immediately as soon as it hit. If it was just some sidearm type like a 9mm or .45 ACP, he could stuff some fabric in the hole and call it good. But anything strong enough to punch through metal isn't going to be a 9mm. Buster's right, goodbye torso.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Depends. I don't know on what. But Cyber probably has an explanation.

And, as Major Damage once said "I gotta get a jetpack. If you're in the Justice League and can't fly you get stuck with the sucky duties."
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

I didn't find that boss encounter SO egregious, think it should have lasted a bit longer but that's about it. I mainly don't understand why the one shot KO is such a big deal; in the far off future where super powers are abundant, and breaches in the fabric of reality are becoming common and are just fine, a guy surviving an as of yet undisclosed bullet wound from a currently unknown future gun is too far!

Mostly joking, but we don't want Cyber to seek revenge. What if Cyber took a note out of George Lucas' book and made us play through ten pages of alien trade route negotiations for the sake of universal realism?! Again, joking. I just kinda place expectations of what should happen within the type of genre something is, and when I see "super hero, sci fi fantasy" I expect things that don't make sense and defy reality to happen. Of course there's a limit to it, but it's also quite subjective and this didn't break it for me. In fact the thing that came closer than the surprisingly super destructive, yet non lethal bullet was how a giant mech like that snuck up on the team of super powered individuals without being heard or seen, but that's just me. People can point out birds, planes and Supermans, but giant mechs are just too sneaky I guess.