2015/08/12 - Fault In Our Stars

Post by Obbl »

[ Fault In Our Stars ]

Title Text: if you wanna see stars I have this neat screensaver

Satau has great analogies
SuperStar

Re: 2015/08/12 - Fault In Our Stars

Post by SuperStar »

Is that meant to be "neat" screensaver? Typo possible?

Anyway, so Grape seemed happy with the thought of cats as "brothers". Does that mean she just wants to be close to him, not necessarily crushing on him? :?
Last edited by SuperStar on Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Meanwhile, Max is watching them in jealousy. :P
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

And this is why I love the country! At least, country compared to Houston. Love seeing the stars!

Well, Grape, seems like this crush is not meant to be.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I'm not surprised in the least that is his attitude.
Whozjama

Post by Whozjama »

Somehow, somewhere, Max is praying to Zyzz with all the muscle that is his heart can muster.
All your acorns are belong to us.
WishIWasHearEarlier

Post by WishIWasHearEarlier »

Is this the first time that we're seeing the Sandwich's backyard?
lf you noticed a spelling or grammar error in one of my post, please notify me and l'll fix it as soon as l can.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

No I think we've seen the backyard before. (I can't remember when though)
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

"Yeah there are not many stars BUT we can listen to Coldplay´s Sky Full Of Stars "
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Satau surely knows the ways of the house hierarchies^^
And DAAWWW for Grape getting closer and closer to the doggie side
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

MY GAWSH! You're right, this is like the first time seeing their backyard, this is groundbreaking!
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

valerio wrote:DAAWWW for Grape getting closer and closer to the doggie side
Maybe there'll probably going the be an arc about her being confused about the whole thing.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Saturn381 wrote:
valerio wrote:DAAWWW for Grape getting closer and closer to the doggie side
Maybe there'll probably going the be an arc about her being confused about the whole thing.
I don't know about the 'confusion' thing. The problem came up when that barn cat first told her 'why do you hang out so much around dogs?'. And then she over-reacted to Res' innocent observation on the same matter.
So I think that Grape is not confused, she may just be in denial about her true feelings. Going out with Max looks like an attempt to look less socially awkward...
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Seeing stars like in a screensaver
or a nineteen-eighties 'Doctor Who'
is no longer easy for mere mortals
but there's so much else to do.
Giving Grape her calm moment
whilst laid out on the grass;
she gets to ask her question
and doesn't let chance pass.
He respects the cats he knew,
protectors of the food;
he respects them like brothers
and, between them, the fighting's good.
A soft, calm, peaceful second
between Cat and Dog. Who reckoned?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Frank

Post by Frank »

Saturn381 wrote:No I think we've seen the backyard before. (I can't remember when though)
Of course we have!
It's just was covered in snow.

and "what's a screen saver and where do I train to become one?"
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
RemonyRavine

Post by RemonyRavine »

Whoa hey, it's the fish pond from the second or third prototype comic! Guess they decided to keep it after all.
valerio wrote:I don't know about the 'confusion' thing. The problem came up when that barn cat first told her 'why do you hang out so much around dogs?'. And then she over-reacted to Res' innocent observation on the same matter.
So I think that Grape is not confused, she may just be in denial about her true feelings. Going out with Max looks like an attempt to look less socially awkward...
Hmmmm mrgrgr...I will admit, it did seem that way when she asked Max out on their very first date way back when. But I hoped she'd have gotten over it.
SuperStar wrote:Anyway, so Grape seemed happy with the thought of cats as "brothers". Does that mean she just wants to be close to him, not necessarily crushing on him? :?
I sure hope so. I mean she's always been so bro-y with the other dogs, right?...The same kind of bro-love that beat eachother up a lot kinda deal.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

RemonyRavine wrote: I sure hope so. I mean she's always been so bro-y with the other dogs, right?...The same kind of bro-love that beat eachother up a lot kinda deal.
Yeah, maybe she just "admires" dogs per say, and her blushing from before was because just simply she realized how awkward it is.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I mean they're still brothers at least, that's an improvement!-- Oh wait, that's always been the case... :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

SuperStar wrote:
RemonyRavine wrote: I sure hope so. I mean she's always been so bro-y with the other dogs, right?...The same kind of bro-love that beat eachother up a lot kinda deal.
Yeah, maybe she just "admires" dogs per say, and her blushing from before was because just simply she realized how awkward it is.
Or maybe you two just don't want the Grapewell ship to sink. :P
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Just cause she likes dogs doesn't mean she'll stop liking cats. having an affinity for canines doesn't sink the grapewell ship
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Don't you know, Brent? You can only be attracted to one! Anyone who says they like both is a liar. :B

But nah, her liking dogs doesn't sink that ship per se, but the fact that she doesn't seem particularly committed to Max doesn't bode well... Grape you bad girlfriend you!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RemonyRavine

Post by RemonyRavine »

I'm keeping the Grapewell ship afloat no matter what! GameCobra, my good buddy, help me out here when ya wake up!

Now I ain't jumping to conclusions, because I can only hope for the best for those two kitties, and I just know something either funny's gonna happen, or super adorable snuggles will happen...and then something funny, cuz we can't leave off without a joke of some sort! Anyway, I'm actually very entertained by Grape's dynamic relations, I just get a little spaztic when other folks are jumping to the speculated conclusions.

Sigh. Imma just go sit down and take a breather, then doodle more Grapewell fanart.
Shibadruid

Post by Shibadruid »

I'm keeping the Grapewell ship afloat no matter what!
Sir! The USS Grapenut is on a direct collision course with the USS Grapewell! What do we do? I think I see the Tarnut on the horizon, heading towards us as well! It's going to be a disaster!
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

Ah it's lovely to learn more about the origins of the social hierarchy in this universe. It's like a continuation of the short stories Rick wrote.
If you haven't read the stories the're listed belong (because they're pretty hard to find, they should be put in the archives) but the one I am refering to is the first one.
https://www.housepetscomic.com/2010/11/ ... s-7500-bc/
https://www.housepetscomic.com/2010/11/ ... can-nomad/
https://www.housepetscomic.com/2010/11/ ... ent-egypt/
I wonder if Satua knows that Grape is a girl. Remember that time that no one in the neighborhood knew. He does refer to her as brother after all.
Last edited by IdleCurator on Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hi Hi Pie
Argent

Post by Argent »

You want stars?

Show him some NASA pictures, Grape.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Niara

Post by Niara »

Grape's hot topic seems to be the issue of the hour, and my two cents more or less line up with what a few others have said: she's a cat in denial. There's a mental image she has about what she ought to be liking, and so, when she said to Peanut, ages ago, that she still thought of cats, she wasn't fibbing. When she consciously thinks about romance or romantic activities, it's cats she thinks of. Buutt... Her history and fondness for dogs is also equally hard to deny, when you look at it from an external point of view. At an unconscious level she appreciates fine specimens of canines just as easily, and she appears instinctively pleased by the implications of good relationships existing there, even if she then gets embarrassed or over-reactionary when her attention is consciously drawn to it.

I think she probably DID hook up with Max, initially, more to prove things to herself and reassure herself, than out of any actual affection or desire, but I'm also perfectly happy to look at the evidence and suppose that, whatever the origins, there's a lot of very genuine affection there now.

What I want to know is: I know people are really fond of their various ships... but is there any actual reason WHY they should be sinking each other?

Must she (or indeed anyone) necessarily practice exclusivity? If Grape were to reach a point where she was comfortable admitting to herself that she has just as much natural attraction to dogs as she might have for cats, is there any reason why she can't then make time in her life both for some puppy love, and a sugar-kitty? Ok, it might need max to improve his self-confidence and emotional security a great deal before something like that could be healthy, and communication is key, but... Would that really be so bad?

On topic, I actually really liked Grape's expression in the third panel, hehe.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Niara wrote: Must she (or indeed anyone) necessarily practice exclusivity? If Grape were to reach a point where she was comfortable admitting to herself that she has just as much natural attraction to dogs as she might have for cats, is there any reason why she can't then make time in her life both for some puppy love, and a sugar-kitty? Ok, it might need max to improve his self-confidence and emotional security a great deal before something like that could be healthy, and communication is key, but... Would that really be so bad?
Are you implying that they should practice polygamy?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I had to admire the Sandwich household before moving onto read the comic. Like the details of the back porch and the campfire rocks.

I'm surprised that there's a lot of focus on Satau and Grape now at this point. I see a build-up coming... But what kind of build-up is what i'm trying to wrap my head around. Did Grape and Max talk it out beforehand? Is Grape delving deep into canine territory?

And I chuckled at Grape's look of defeat in the last panel. X3
Niara wrote:Must she (or indeed anyone) necessarily practice exclusivity? If Grape were to reach a point where she was comfortable admitting to herself that she has just as much natural attraction to dogs as she might have for cats, is there any reason why she can't then make time in her life both for some puppy love, and a sugar-kitty? Ok, it might need max to improve his self-confidence and emotional security a great deal before something like that could be healthy, and communication is key, but... Would that really be so bad?
It's all about animal experience. Animals aren't really picky when it comes to love (As Duchess tries to point out), but there is also that part of the pet community that's trying to adjust to the humans philosophies in life such as marriage. Having an affinity with dogs and cats is fine, but it's the one you choose to love that counts. That's the way I hope to picture Grape and Max at least. =P
Last edited by GameCobra on Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Niara

Post by Niara »

Eh, I'm just saying... why not both?

I don't think people would react as badly as some folk seem to think, but I recognise that I'm biased (I'm part of a trio, so we don't even have the option of getting legally recognised)... so it's always the thought that comes to my mind first when I see people arguing against one person's favoured ship because they want to preserve their own. I like Peanut and Tarot, I love Grape and Peanut, I think Max and Grape are cute... I'd think they'd all be adorable as romantic relationships... and I don't see why any one of them should have to exclude others ^.^

I do agree that the setting for the first main panel was very nice.
maxgoof

Post by maxgoof »

I really wish they would not call it "light pollution". It's not like water or air pollution. It does no harm.

The only people who complain about it are astronomers, both professional and amateur. Their "solutions" invariably entail removing advertising lighting.

But look down at a city from an airplane. What is the vast majority of the light you see? Streetlights and parking lots. Turning those off is a safety risk. Turn off advertising lighting and what happens? Virtually no change.

Call it what it is: light interference. It pollutes nothing.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

maxgoof wrote:I really wish they would not call it "light pollution". It's not like water or air pollution. It does no harm.

The only people who complain about it are astronomers, both professional and amateur. Their "solutions" invariably entail removing advertising lighting.

But look down at a city from an airplane. What is the vast majority of the light you see? Streetlights and parking lots. Turning those off is a safety risk. Turn off advertising lighting and what happens? Virtually no change.

Call it what it is: light interference. It pollutes nothing.
You are so right, :D
Argent

Post by Argent »

maxgoof wrote:The only people who complain about it are astronomers, both professional and amateur.
Also people with sleep problems.
Their "solutions" invariably entail removing advertising lighting.
Shrouding street lighting both reduces light pollution and decreases its cost (or increases the effectiveness).
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Ah, Grape and Satau in open space alone at night watching the stars, or what's possible to see... 8-) Yeah Grape, that's something too bad that forces you to go outside cities just to watch more stars in the sky... Is it worth? Nah, better watch the screensaver you're talking about. :P He's right, Grape, cats were a lot useful in the fields, they weren't sleeping all day like you do... :P Eh, Grape, Satau is being a guy a bit complicated to manage, more than your Maxie. ;)
RemonyRavine wrote:I'm keeping the Grapewell ship afloat no matter what! GameCobra, my good buddy, help me out here when ya wake up!
I'm with you too, fella!
Carlitosfmc

Post by Carlitosfmc »

Come on, Grape! This isn't the way to work on your mate's confidence!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Carlitosfmc wrote:Come on, Grape! This isn't the way to work on your mate's confidence!
She's being aloof and a little uncaring about Max. hey, she's a cat, she'll go where the going's best, not just good!
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
RemonyRavine

Post by RemonyRavine »

Niara wrote:Eh, I'm just saying... why not both?

I don't think people would react as badly as some folk seem to think, but I recognise that I'm biased (I'm part of a trio, so we don't even have the option of getting legally recognised)... so it's always the thought that comes to my mind first when I see people arguing against one person's favoured ship because they want to preserve their own. I like Peanut and Tarot, I love Grape and Peanut, I think Max and Grape are cute... I'd think they'd all be adorable as romantic relationships... and I don't see why any one of them should have to exclude others ^.^
I do admire your positive outlook, but it's not really the issue of what looks cuter together, it's the issue of the individual characters.

Maxwell and Sabrina broke up in the past, and it's evident that it was not a happy break-up, so that was some wounding to his heart. Since hooking up with Grape, Max has been trying his hardest to make their relationship perfect, despite the point of view from the majority that animals just share the love everywhere when it's convenient. Grape floundering about with her flirtatious nature is fun, humourous, and a bit heart-wrenching, but in the end, I'd just like to see a happy ending for those two because of the apparent struggles.

I don't want to bash folks for having their preferred shipping, certainly not. They're free to make all the Grapenut fanart and fanfiction they want, but if that were to wind up becoming official, then that wouldn't be a very happy ending for Maxwell, and that would make me sad.

Now, on the more relevant side to this current comic, it actually is adorable how Grape is trying to get close to Satau; the poor jackal is all alone in this brand new world, and lord knows how long he's been that way. Even though Grape's intentions are a little, umm...misplaced, it's nice to see her having a normal conversation with him rather than being a total derp like with her previous crush.
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

Grape are you gonna cheat on Max.
shame on you. xD
King as Red (Pokemon) Avatar By CHAOKOCartoons!
ImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

RemonyRavine wrote:
Niara wrote:Eh, I'm just saying... why not both?

I do admire your positive outlook, but it's not really the issue of what looks cuter together, it's the issue of the individual characters.

Maxwell and Sabrina broke up in the past, and it's evident that it was not a happy break-up, so that was some wounding to his heart. Since hooking up with Grape, Max has been trying his hardest to make their relationship perfect, despite the point of view from the majority that animals just share the love everywhere when it's convenient. Grape floundering about with her flirtatious nature is fun, humourous, and a bit heart-wrenching, but in the end, I'd just like to see a happy ending for those two because of the apparent struggles.

I don't want to bash folks for having their preferred shipping, certainly not. They're free to make all the Grapenut fanart and fanfiction they want, but if that were to wind up becoming official, then that wouldn't be a very happy ending for Maxwell, and that would make me sad.

Now, on the more relevant side to this current comic, it actually is adorable how Grape is trying to get close to Satau; the poor jackal is all alone in this brand new world, and lord knows how long he's been that way. Even though Grape's intentions are a little, umm...misplaced, it's nice to see her having a normal conversation with him rather than being a total derp like with her previous crush.
Remy's on my ball here :3

The crush doesn't bother me, either - it's how Maxwell is treated as well. I don't want anything to happen to them either since Maxwell seems down to earth with this relationship either, and coming from the awful start he had, he's actually doing awesome for a boyfriend. :3

@Cesco: I just have to say it ~ hear, hear!
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm of the mind that it was Dragon that broke Sabrax up because Pete wanted to use Fido and Grape as avatars. To prevent that, he put Fibrina and Grapewell together because Pete said he couldn't use avatars that were in love or something.
RemonyRavine

Post by RemonyRavine »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I'm of the mind that it was Dragon that broke Sabrax up because Pete wanted to use Fido and Grape as avatars. To prevent that, he put Fibrina and Grapewell together because Pete said he couldn't use avatars that were in love or something.
Well yes, I'm sure that was made official after The Trial in Heaven arc, but it couldn't have been a completely happy accident; even if it is really oudated, the cast page says this for Fido:
Cast page wrote:Not all is liver and potpourri, as Fido has found himself, through a series of poor choices as a pup, in the arms of a cat
And even still, Max didn't look happy in the slightest to work together with Sabrina for his little haunted house game from years ago. So some shenanigans were involved before or during Dragon's interference.
GameCobra wrote:I don't want anything to happen to them either since Maxwell seems down to earth with this relationship either, and coming from the awful start he had, he's actually doing awesome for a boyfriend. :3
Agreed...but that "start" sure would make for a funny story for their kits. "Mom, is it true that dad thought you were a boy?"

Ack, I'm sorry, Cesco! I didn't mean to leave you behind, my fellow Maine Coon friend!

Also just wanna say, Dayzee, everytime I see that picture of Shadow Tarot, I keep thinking it's a Five Nights at Freddy's animatronic version of Tarot. Spooky.