Things you finally noticed on rereading

Discuss the comic here
Amazee Dayzee

Re: Things you finally noticed on rereading

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure that if somebody were to go and point out just how much that Tarot was acting like Dragon she would realize it and stop realizing it is gonna be beneficial for her relationship with Peanut in the long run.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:17 pm I'm sure that if somebody were to go and point out just how much that Tarot was acting like Dragon she would realize it and stop realizing it is gonna be beneficial for her relationship with Peanut in the long run.
Or turn somebody into a mushroom!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Not sure that I get the reference there...
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

errassw wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:09 am Image

bailey appearing in christmas 2008, ~3 years before the arc where king goes to kansas with fox
Since she first appeared in a Christmas comic I wonder if her name is a reference to George Bailey from It's A Wonderful Life. Wouldn't be surprising since King's first appearance (as King) was in It's A Wonderful Dog's Life.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Though admittedly to go with the theme of King and Bailey showing up in those arcs which reference the movie I would have assumed Pete would have changed his name to George instead of King.
Leotamer

Post by Leotamer »

So, I don't know how to show the comics, but Chapter 100 (The Four Animals You Meet In Heaven) Food for Thought and the current latest chapter Chapter 134 (Heckraiser part 2) Straight to the Top, is that the same platypus. They both have lighter brown fur than a darker brown peak and a lighter patch of fur in the shape of a circle on their head.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

You can use the url tag to add a link, or the img tag to add an image:

Code: Select all

The platypus [url=https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/2016/04/22/food-for-thought/]here[/url]

Code: Select all

This platypus: [img]https://www.housepetscomic.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/2016-04-22-food-for-thought.png[/img]
They seem to be working different jobs, but maybe *shrug*
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Not A Furry wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:57 pm ImageGrape knows far too much about Sabrina :?
HellishK9 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:15 pm Okay, in the last panel I think Sabrina is referring to the time she and Grape dated so Sabrina can avoid getting married to Jata.

The second panel, I believe Grape is talking about the time she and Peanut accidently watched Fido and Sabrina make out.

But, I must agree, Grape knows alot about Sabrina 8-)
And the joke's on 'seeing someone,' like dating them... ugh, now I feel foolish for not seeing it before...
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

LunarFox wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:41 pm
Not A Furry wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:57 pm ImageGrape knows far too much about Sabrina :?
HellishK9 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:15 pm Okay, in the last panel I think Sabrina is referring to the time she and Grape dated so Sabrina can avoid getting married to Jata.

The second panel, I believe Grape is talking about the time she and Peanut accidently watched Fido and Sabrina make out.

But, I must agree, Grape knows alot about Sabrina 8-)
And the joke's on 'seeing someone,' like dating them... ugh, now I feel foolish for not seeing it before...
https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... -exercise/

"Believe what you want to believe, sister"- that a reference to Tarot being Dragon's avatar?

And then does that mean that he's Pete and Dragon's brother?
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Sister is a way to reference someone in an overly casual way, which can be used to underscore tongue-in-cheek remarks
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Obbl wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:47 pm Sister is a way to reference someone in an overly casual way, which can be used to underscore tongue-in-cheek remarks
Yeah, I know... just got my train of thought going on that one.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I honestly don't think that they are all siblings because that would be weird even if Kitsune was older than the both of them. He would have went to their brother to a father-figure and most likely Kix is at some point gonna try to force Craig and Draig into referring to Kitsune as such.
ProtoDot

Post by ProtoDot »

There are too many references to feet for me to even be remotely comfortable with.

I hate Dan Schneider so, so much.
"BEHOLD! The power of an ANGEL!" - Gabriel, moments before getting beaten up by a GoPro
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Some people said that Quentin Tarantino might be worse and he actually admits to liking them a little too much. :?
ProtoDot

Post by ProtoDot »

Well Quentin Tarantino didn't create some of my childhood memories only to replace them with nightmares with a single revelation.
"BEHOLD! The power of an ANGEL!" - Gabriel, moments before getting beaten up by a GoPro
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That really does make sense. Because I figured Rick would be the sort of guy who liked "Weird" Al Yankovic.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:45 pm That really does make sense. Because I figured Rick would be the sort of guy who liked "Weird" Al Yankovic.
Considering that he plays it while waiting for his streams to start from time to time, and that at least once Peanut was listening to Al on his walkman, I would say that he's at least a casual fan.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Ahhh. Now you see I didn't know that bit honestly. But its because I have never watched his stream because my life tends to be very busy.
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

The Milton Ferrets are named after the characters of a TV show called Captain N. The title of the show is inside a red pill-shaped box, right? Guess what else has red pill shape?

I specialize in wolf head avatars.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:50 am Ahhh. Now you see I didn't know that bit honestly. But its because I have never watched his stream because my life tends to be very busy.
Saw him live very long ago at Hampton Beach. Weird Al is a trip.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

The fact that Steward is a badger (specifically a North American one) after having been an accountant is a play on Taxidea taxus, the NA badger's scientific name.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

This would make me so happy if it turned out to be true.
Actually, it is officially my headcanon regardless :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I did not know that about the badger's scientific name. I like it. It's canon for me now too!
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

It does make me wonder if Rick was aware of the taxinomic name, and how far back. Was Steward always destined to be a badger? Or did the idea come later?
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If Rick can somehow really plan that far ahead then it would have been super cool.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:01 pm If Rick can somehow really plan that far ahead then it would have been super cool.
He has said here and there that he doesn't plan that far ahead, but I have to imagine that he has beats that he plans to use at some point. Steward was introduced early in the strip, he might have had the idea that he was somehow going to be turned into a badger at some point, but not how. Or it was a spur of the moment idea that worked out.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Rick probably had some idea that at a certain point in the comic Steward would be transformed but I think it is much cooler to think that it was all a coincidence that worked out the way that it did with the spur of the moment idea. :D
Leotamer

Post by Leotamer »

The original pun was that he was a steward named Steward. Maybe he thought about it at the time, though if I had to take a guess, he either didn't think about or thought about it when he had decided to transform him.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I do remember that being the original joke and thought that it was so funny and still is so yeah he probably decided on turning him into a badger closer to the time he did it.
Praepes

Post by Praepes »

[image][/image]
Noticed a Monty Python and the quest for the holy grail reference here. It mimics the dialogue from the old man after the "bring out your dead" scene, who insists that they are not dead yet and remarks that they think they'll go on a walk.
Here's a link for the original script:
http://www.montypython.50webs.com/scrip ... Scene2.htm
Attachments
A6725201-6E01-4A71-81E6-F30AE9409B73.png
A6725201-6E01-4A71-81E6-F30AE9409B73.png (420.02 KiB) Viewed 6488 times
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah I can see how the dialogue is very similar to what happens in this strip. Though in my head canon, before the bird can walk off and recover Grape ends up stomping on him again and making sure he is ACTUALLY dead. :P
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Todd Kravitz has light tan cheeks in his first appearance, then they turn to orange, and then they turn back to light tan. They even switch colors in the same strip!

Does Todd have magical cheeks, or is Rick just being inattentive?
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

MasterAbsinthe wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:04 pm Todd Kravitz has light tan cheeks in his first appearance, then they turn to orange, and then they turn back to light tan. They even switch colors in the same strip!

Does Todd have magical cheeks, or is Rick just being inattentive?
Huh. How odd. Honestly can't even a notice a difference in color but guess that's just me.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

It’s not unheard of to forget details of your characters, especially if they’re newer. I sometimes fall to that, too.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Or they molt?
Harry Johnathan

Huh. Ran this through my paint program, and it says they're the same color:
Untitled611_20210512142405.png
Untitled611_20210512142405.png (16.63 KiB) Viewed 6020 times
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Leotamer

Post by Leotamer »

His cheeks are consistent, what is inconsistent is whether or not the fur behind it is white like his muzzle or orange like the rest of his head, and probably causes the cheek marks to look different because contrast.
Harry Johnathan

^^^
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Rydr Warklub wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:25 pm Huh. Ran this through my paint program, and it says they're the same color:

Untitled611_20210512142405.png
I mean this specific part of his cheeks. Notice how it goes from beige to orange.
Last edited by MasterAbsinthe on Wed May 12, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.