Announcements of leave and return

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Harry Johnathan

Re: Announcements of leave and return

Post by Harry Johnathan »

Over the last couple of weeks I've been seriously considering leaving the forum as well as the larger Housepets! fandom in general. I myself don't really understand why, but I'm feeling compelled to just leave lately. I might not, but if I stop posting, at least you'll know why.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
MikeNelsonMythril

Post by MikeNelsonMythril »

I understand Rydr. At the very least the final storyline "Heckraiser" will be a finale you won't forget.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Just posting here to say that I am back from my vacation and as everybody else said I was fine. I really enjoyed it even though we barely saw my sister due to her schedule. Oh and we stayed in a ******** hotel in South Carolina for 2 days.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

That's either an 8 star hotel or a really bad one...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Considering the fact that on TripAdvisor there are 97 terribly reviews it would have to be the latter.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:14 pm Considering the fact that on TripAdvisor there are 97 terribly reviews it would have to be the latter.
..... aaaaaand now there are 98 !! ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I was debating on whether or not to leave the link to the review of the hotel here but I didn't know if I would be breaking any rules.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Rydr Warklub wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:44 am Over the last couple of weeks I've been seriously considering leaving the forum as well as the larger Housepets! fandom in general. I myself don't really understand why, but I'm feeling compelled to just leave lately. I might not, but if I stop posting, at least you'll know why.
Thanks for the heads up, hope you stick around but either way keep well Rydr.

I think Housepets! will continue in some form.
Disproportionately Dappled
MikeNelsonMythril

Due to the sheer amount of abuse that goes around my family, something drastic needs to be done. Because we (my family, myself included) constantly feed off of each other's abuse.

If you never hear from me again, consider this me "Paying the piper."
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Deeply sorry for your difficulties, Mike. Be well and all get better. The whole world, it sometimes seems, has PTSD.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Hope that you will come back soon and sorry for the difficulties that you are suffering. I will pray for you to come up with some resolution.
MikeNelsonMythril

I'm back. A dysfunctional family like mine have to put up with a constant feedback loop. If only there was some loopholes that would make love and not war.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Glad that you were able to make it back! Your family description for some reason ends up reminding me of the family of my deceased uncle.
Harry Johnathan

So I'm not leaving the forums or the Discord server. But due to some... recent developments I've decided that Housepets! as a comic isn't for me anymore. Neither are any of Rick's works. Rick as an author and artist just doesn't appeal to me anymore. So I'm only staying here to keep in contact with you guys.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorry to hear that you aren't enjoying Rick's works anymore. But I am sure we are all glad you are staying on the forum!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:47 pm Sorry to hear that you aren't enjoying Rick's works anymore. But I am sure we are all glad you are staying on the forum!
Well, perhaps the upcoming revisions will be more appealing, Rydr. But, like Dayzee, I'm glad you'll be staying in the forums. :) You'dah been missed. :(
Harry Johnathan

Those very... ahem, revisions have played a bit of a role in my growing resentment of Mr. Griffin and my falling out of love with the comic. They're not the only reason, though. I'm a far cry now from the person I was in late 2019 when I found Housepets!, and I just can't connect to this world anymore as a result, and I've become a lot more disillusioned with the world lately due to personal issues I'd rather not discuss and my general enjoyment of anything is going down along with my happiness. My personal values/beliefs and moral compass have also shifted dramatically since I first became a fan and I haven't exactly agreed with some points the comic has made or some of Rick's stances on things. The comic has also begun to take on some negative associations in my mind that have just tainted my enjoyment of it. It's all very a complicated affair, but the short thing is, Housepets! doesn't appeal to the person I am now.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Maybe you will come around at some point but even if you don't we are all glad you are staying here!
Harry Johnathan

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:02 am Maybe you will come around at some point but even if you don't we are all glad you are staying here!
I don't intend to ever "come back around", Dayzee. But I will stay on the forums a bit longer.
MikeNelsonMythril

Don't know if I might stay online much longer. You can safely assume that if I'm no longer online for longer than six months then assume that I'm off the grid.

Blame the politics of the world and the need to simplify my life by disconnecting from the net.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

While I have not "disconnected from the net", I have found what I call "media fasting" to be psychologically restorative. Every third day, I avoid the news, most entertainments, let the papers and magazines wait, and let the world go along without me. Now I obviously still read the HP forum but have cut back on commenting frequency. I just spend my time with the people, the animals, the books, music, and projects I care about. I have just so much time left and only so much energy to spend on activities where I might make a difference. As one of my mentors taught me about writing - "Focus, focus, focus!" - I try now to apply to the business of living.
MikeNelsonMythril

NHWestoN wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:38 pm While I have not "disconnected from the net", I have found what I call "media fasting" to be psychologically restorative. Every third day, I avoid the news, most entertainments, let the papers and magazines wait, and let the world go along without me. Now I obviously still read the HP forum but have cut back on commenting frequency. I just spend my time with the people, the animals, the books, music, and projects I care about. I have just so much time left and only so much energy to spend on activities where I might make a difference. As one of my mentors taught me about writing - "Focus, focus, focus!" - I try now to apply to the business of living.
That makes a lot of sense. Maybe I don't have to completely disconnect from the Housepets forums.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If the politics of the world is getting you down and having to simplify your life is what you need to do, then I would say cut out just news media and focus on stuff that makes you happy.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:45 pm If the politics of the world is getting you down and having to simplify your life is what you need to do, then I would say cut out just news media and focus on stuff that makes you happy.
Well, I feel an obligation as a citizen to "stay informed" as they say - but part of what I've tried to do is not be "over-informed." Being former military and something of a political junkie, I recognized that I just needed to spend a lot less time on matters over which, however well-informed, my ability to actually influence was enfeebled. I don't want to get all philosophical so let's just say it's the old "moderation in all things."
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I was more talking to MikeNelsonMythril but yeah that could work also. So it is some great advice.
Harry Johnathan

I decided to stay.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Harry Johnathan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:47 pm I decided to stay.
Yay!
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Harry Johnathan

Yeah. Yay. Whoo. Ba dum tiss. Whoop whoop
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

We're better with you than without.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Glad that you have chosen against leaving us! We would miss you.
Harry Johnathan

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:54 am We're better with you than without.
    I assume everyone saw my post about why I wanted to leave and I'm a laughing stock now. If you didn't, the basic gist is that I've realized Rick wasn't as great a storyteller as I thought he was and I'm not a fan of some of his recent behavior (and also I am not happy with him making NSFW art of HP!, and his flimsy reasoning for doing so). But I did realize that just abandoning you guys was an impulsive and dumb desicion.
    DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Great, glad to hear it, saw your earlier post and you are certainly not a laughing stock, don't see why you would be,
    Daunted
    Harry Johnathan

DDeer wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:13 am
    Great, glad to hear it, saw your earlier post and you are certainly not a laughing stock, don't see why you would be,
    Daunted
    I don't know. I kind of feel stupid. And I feel like a creep just being here on the forums when I made a post criticising the guy who owns them; I kind of feel like a jerk staying here.
    DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Harry Johnathan wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:14 am
    DDeer wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:13 am
    Daunted
    I don't know. I kind of feel stupid. And I feel like a creep just being here on the forums when I made a post criticising the guy who owns them; I kind of feel like a jerk staying here.
    I don't know, I don't think being on this forum should mean you have to automatically agree with and endorse everything Rick does. Nobody can agree with everything another person does or says, we'd all be the same person then.
    Harry Johnathan

Yeah. I still don't approve at all of NSFW HP art considering the comics' huge audiance of minors (spoiler alert: I am underage). And I still believe Rick's attempt to excuse making it to be just complete nonsense (apparently not making dirty art is affecting the comics' quality? I have no clue what he was trying to say with that and it sounds like a smokescreen to cover up whatever his real intentions are to me.) But it's his property, he can do what he wants I guess. I don't know, I'm tired, depressed, and really should be asleep. Tonight has been an emotional rollercoaster, tell you what. You know, it's honestly cosmically funny and amazing how one simple desicion on Rick's part can radically change my and many others' views on a comic that has basically defined my internet prescence for the past 3 years. I'm actually scared of being associated with the comic now due to the NSFW stuff.
    Obbl
    Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Just remember, anything NSFW will always be separate from the comic and separate from official comic channels. You don't need to see them to enjoy the comic. There's been NSFW art of Housepets! since before I joined, and that hasn't detracted from the comic in any way. Why should this? Rick's just tired of being put on a pedestal and asked to be a shining example of purity for everyone else's sake. He's his own person with his own thoughts and desires, and I support him being able to indulge.
    But also, you're not bad for feeling uncomfortable about it. You're not the laughing stock here; you're just processing your feelings. Rick's trying to take care of himself with this, so you should try to take care of yourself in the way that works for you. I do hope you'll continue to enjoy the comic, and just ignore the other stuff if it doesn't suit you, but no matter what keep looking for what brings you joy
    NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I have not been privy to many of the conversations that you folks have shared with Rick and about Rick and the evolution of his work. First of all, as I've discussed previously, the internet has a way of "eating your life" ("But I don't want to go among mad people," said Alice - "Well, you can't help that," replied the Cheshire Cat, "Everyone's mad here."). If anything, since I joined this forum in 2017, the exchanges have gotten much more civil and amusing - maybe because the nastier exchanges and the "professionally-offended" sorts are now throwing thier acid on other venues.

Secondly, I don't comment much on Rick's art and stories because "It's Rick's world and I'm a guest here." Okay, every now and then, I'll pitch a plea for more development of a particular theme ("shipping" Fox and Sasha), using a character I really like more often (Daisy), or grousing about a character that I dislike... and that in the sure and certainly knowledge that Rick ignores such faucet drippings. Clearly, both the artist and the art have evolved in the over-a-decade of love and labor he's devoted to Housepets. When I first began to write on the forum, I was informed that the strip (and, to a degree, the forum) was PG-13, that Rick's Christian values were an undercurrent in his work, and certain themes (like, oh, intoxicants like orange soda) were a bit delicate. Those - and others - changed over time (what exactly is PG-13 prohibited these days anyways?). After all, most of his characters are animals, but Rick's a human being. I also noticed some repitition in his work, return to themes already developed - which suggested he might be feeling a little "cramped" or "stuck".

Either way, I'm intrigued and excited to see what he's done with his story and where his inspirations take Housepets. Who knows - maybe Daisy gets a starring role along with Yeltsin, Rex, and Marvin.

I appreciate Obbl's wise counsel and I'm delighted that, despite your reservations, Rydr, you're staying with us. You'd have been sorely missed.
    Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The only bit of NSFW I would like to see Rick do in the comic would be just some minor swearing. Housepets! is PG-13 and those movies do have some swears in them but nothing heavy.
    Harry Johnathan

Obbl wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:56 am Just remember, anything NSFW will always be separate from the comic and separate from official comic channels. You don't need to see them to enjoy the comic. There's been NSFW art of Housepets! since before I joined, and that hasn't detracted from the comic in any way. Why should this?
    That's not what worries me. What worries me is being pubically associated with the comic now. Rick doing NSFW art of the HP! characters has become really buzzworthy, and I'm scared that the naughty art will become one of the first things that show up when you search up the comic. And about the NSFW art always existing, it's a bit different when the actual artist is doing it. But I can't leave this forum because I have friends here I wouldn't have anywhere else.
    Obbl wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:56 am Rick's just tired of being put on a pedestal and asked to be a shining example of purity for everyone else's sake. He's his own person with his own thoughts and desires, and I support him being able to indulge.
    I understand that but this seems a bit extreme. Is it really good to indulge yourself when it's negatively affecting other people and also possibly hurting you? Rick lost at least one patreon supporter already, and then Biddy left the fandom entirely and he was a fan since he was a literal child, who knows how many more fans he could lose later on. And it's not like he didn't have other outlets to indulge either, he was doing NSFW art of his other works. And no, I refuse to accept his excuse that not doing HP! smut was negatively affecting the comics' quality.
    Obbl wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:56 am But also, you're not bad for feeling uncomfortable about it. You're not the laughing stock here; you're just processing your feelings. Rick's trying to take care of himself with this, so you should try to take care of yourself in the way that works for you. I do hope you'll continue to enjoy the comic, and just ignore the other stuff if it doesn't suit you, but no matter what keep looking for what brings you joy
    Yeah. I guess we all process things differently. There's probaly no use dwelling on any of this, I have mental health issues I need to focus on. A stupid webcomic isn't really a big deal.
    Dogglar

Post by Dogglar »

back for forum comment lurk
    B.E.A.R. PMC